Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Also never got an email, flying from both Shannon and Lanzarote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭joeysoap

L1011 wrote: »
    The Portuguese airport company appear to be at least slightly incompetent from experience.

:) I think it's French owned, but yes, slightly imcompetant is a good description. The security can be crowded, and it's not air conditioned, so can be hot and sticky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

joeysoap wrote: »
    :) I think it's French owned, but yes, slightly imcompetant is a good description. The security can be crowded, and it's not air conditioned, so can be hot and sticky.

They are, yeah. Was stuck in a non airconditioned jetway for ~15mins last week, not nice. By comparison the actually French state owned (just) CDG has airconditioned glass jetways that feel like fridges!

Also bog all shops and some level of price control or cartel going on - every outlet and vending machine charged 2.65 for a 500ml bottle of Coke; and this in a country where the average wage is barely over 10k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

They're talking about the seating issue on Watchdog in a few minutes. Have a manager on from Ryanair. I'm sure he'll just say people can pay for seats together.

• Advertisement

He said their policy hasn't changed since they introduced seat reservations in 2014. :rolleyes:

But he did let something slip. He said customers wanted the ability to book seats and the most popular seats are window or aisle so if seats aren't paid for you'll be given a middle seat. Doesn't explain why people are being put at opposite ends of the plane.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Technically though their policy hasn't changed whatsoever since 2014 that is correct, it is still the same.

What the debate appears to be about here is the algorithm used to allocate seats, it's something separate to a policy.

A Policy is the rules and regulations they set
    An Algorithm is how the seats are assigned.

I didn't see the interviewer, but sounds like a poor line of questioning and understanding of the difference of the two to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He lied and stated that there is no change and they have been allocating 'random' seats since 2014 thus totally ignoring the evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

They had an interesting slant on it. It's not random at all. Apparently you've a much better chance of winning the lotto than being randomly assigned a middle seat the amount of times they were in their tests. Not once did they get window or aisle seat.

They'll have to change the wording of that policy me thinks. . . .I'll hold my breath on that one

devnull wrote: »
    Technically though their policy hasn't changed whatsoever since 2014 that is correct, it is still the same.

What the debate appears to be about here is the algorithm used to allocate seats, it's something separate to a policy.

A Policy is the rules and regulations they set
    An Algorithm is how the seats are assigned.

I didn't see the interviewer, but sounds like a poor line of questioning and understanding of the difference of the two to me.

It's Watchdog. I watch it occasionally. It's dumbed down stuff. They started on Which? near the end :pac:

But yeah, she didn't ask good questions. As you say something has changed. She should have pushed him more on that. Everyone knows it changed this year. A travel agent said it was 15th May when she noticed it.

He also said they've stopped trying to annoy their customers :p

• Advertisement

I picked up that Ryanair are internally reserving the window and aisle seats and giving folk who check in early for a free allocated seat, the middle ones. So if you don't mind being split up and prefer not to have a middle seat, check in late!

theteal wrote: »
    They had an interesting slant on it. It's not random at all. Apparently you've a much better chance of winning the lotto than being randomly assigned a middle seat the amount of times they were in their tests. Not once did they get window or aisle seat.

They'll have to change the wording of that policy me thinks. . . .I'll hold my breath on that one

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, whatsoever.

Interestingly, on my recent flight a person in our group got allocated an exit seat free of charge, I checked in the day before the flight.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, whatsoever.

Interestingly, on my recent flight a person in our group got allocated an exit seat free of charge, I checked in the day before the flight.

Watchdog booked 4 researchers on 4 return flights (32 flights) and did not pay for the seat and checked in when the free seat check in opened. Watchdog checked the seats available before check in and 100% of the time, the seats selected at 'random' by Ryanair were the middle seats dotted around the aircraft. Watchdog then used a statistician to calculate the chances of this happeneing and it worked out that you were more likely to win the lotto than to have 100% of your 'random' allocated seats on those flights being the middle seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Watchdog booked 4 researchers on 4 return flights (32 flights) and did not pay for the seat and checked in when the free seat check in opened. Watchdog checked the seats available before check in and 100% of the time, the seats selected at 'random' by Ryanair were the middle seats dotted around the aircraft. Watchdog then used a statistician to calculate the chances of this happeneing and it worked out that you were more likely to win the lotto than to have 100% of your 'random' allocated seats on those flights being the middle seats

That explained it much better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm flying with Ryanair almost every weekend this summer. I have no issue at all with paying to sit beside someone if I want to, but it seems like that's the minority. All 4 flights I took in the past 2 weeks were delayed taking off because boarding took so long.

It makes no sense to allocate 3 seats to 3 strangers if you don't have to. It was extremely common on my flights that the person with the aisle seat boarded first, then had to move out of the way for the middle seater, and then both of them had to move for the window seater. If couples are allocated together, it's a maximum of one delay in shuffling out of seats to let someone else in - less so for larger groups. Also, people were moving up and down the aisles during boarding, causing chaos and delays. And that's not to even mention the couples who only checked one boarding pass for seats and assumed they were sitting together, and the games of musical chairs by people who kick up a fuss while boarding!

I'm flying with RY shortly and have printed off boarding passes, but out of curiosity can I also load them onto my mobile and use the paper as backup? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

I'm flying with RY shortly and have printed off boarding passes, but out of curiosity can I also load them onto my mobile and use the paper as backup? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

You can, however whatever you use at Security you must also use at the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Thanks, wasn't sure.

Out of curiosity I loooked at the flight just now, 10 seats still free.

All are aisle or window, but no seats together,

For those who wait until the very end to checkin: 1 is in row 1, 4 are in rows 4 and 5, and 5 are in rows 15 and 16 ( or is it 16 and 17?) anyway the expensive rows in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You can, however whatever you use at Security you must also use at the gate.

Any idea why that is, surely they are the same codes on them? Can't see any security issue as someone could just print off multiples of the paper version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I thought it was the same barcode used in any event? Would like to know what the reason is too.

I don't have any other info other than it's not the same barcode, it has different encryption for whatever reason, just leads the same place.

Out of curiosity I loooked at the flight just now, 10 seats still free.

All are aisle or window, but no seats together,

For those who wait until the very end to checkin: 1 is in row 1, 4 are in rows 4 and 5, and 5 are in rows 15 and 16 ( or is it 16 and 17?) anyway the expensive rows in the middle.

Good to know :) Plan on following this approach myself.

sugarman wrote: »
    I save the PDF print out on the phone, instead of using the app. That way its the same as my print out and have never had hassle using both.

Handy to have as a back up if youve lost your printout or your battery had died.

I do that too - belt and braces :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I picked up that Ryanair are internally reserving the window and aisle seats and giving folk who check in early for a free allocated seat, the middle ones. So if you don't mind being split up and prefer not to have a middle seat, check in late!

If you're a long suffering husband then the random seat split up is a boon...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

When using the app, I also take a screenshot of th eboarding pass. It's sometimes easier to access images than the app depending on coverage on your phone. The screenshot works, I've done it several times.

miamee wrote: »
    When using the app, I also take a screenshot of th eboarding pass. It's sometimes easier to access images than the app depending on coverage on your phone. The screenshot works, I've done it several times.

The Ryanair app doesn't need internet to view boarding passes?

Don't need Internet to access screenshots, the're really photos.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Ryanair app doesn't need internet to view boarding passes?

I just found it easier, whatever works for you. Maybe the app was slow to load/open on my phone, I can't remember except that it was an unnecessary, albeit small, delay when approaching the security gate on my way to HOLIDAYS :D

• Advertisement

Well fair enough, I already screenshot them anyway and send them to someone I know / travelling companions too just in case, just pointing out that you don't need internet for the app.

Advertisement