Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Get a few of those vacuum bags in Homestore. Amazing how much they flatten clothes. IF you are hiring an apartment there will normally be a washing machine supplied (but no soap). No need to carry food it's all the same in supermarkets now (baby food included)

With 2 (or maybe 4?) carry on bags of 10kg each you might get away with less than 2 x 40 kgs bags.

I know Ryanair prices are competitive but that cost for 2 bags is mad. I don't think AL vary the cost of bags on a particular route except for the usual high season malarkey.

If you are going to purchase a few bags buy the lightest ones you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hendrickp wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how Ryanair can raise their baggage fees from €134 to €195 for two 20kg bags in the space of 2 days??
    <snip>
    if money is such an issue, why didnt you book a half price 15kg bag for one of the kids and then youre missing a few kg but still getting a heap of checked luggage for a slightly more reasonable price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Hendrickp

if money is such an issue, why didnt you book a half price 15kg bag for one of the kids and then youre missing a few kg but still getting a heap of checked luggage for a slightly more reasonable price ?

Because that option is apparently only available at the point of booking the seats. Unfortunately we left to check the bags in weeks after buying the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

But then you spend a day washing clothes. Who wants to do that on your holidays.

how much clothes could you possibly need?
    shorts t shirts swimwear for 2 small kids?
    most apartments have a washing machine now
    stick on a wash before you go to bed hang them out the following morning dry as a bone before you eat breakfast half the time.
    even three times on a holiday will save a fortune in money and a pain in the hole at the airport and travelling.
    my wife used to bring reams of clothes when the kids were very young but we got sense around 4 or 5 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

I traveled last night from Budapest to Dublin with Ryanair. I was asked by Ryanair personal to check in the bag (hand luggage case with wheels) with yellow sticker.
    My bag is smaller then Ryanair restrictions (but it does have wheels).
    They put yellow stickers on other people bags - after and before me in the queue, but not all. There were at least 10 people BEHIND me in the queue with larger cases who didn't get asked to check in their bags.
    Upon arrival to Dublin my bag turned up with the broken lock and zip damaged. I didn't have anything valuable inside, but someone has "searched" through the bag as I know exactly the order I have left everything inside.
    I am not sure is anything missing. If it is - it is of small material value.
    It was frustrating experience. Ryanair personal in Dublin told me I can complain to customer service. Does anyone have similar experience? Is it worth to complain if there is nothing missing (apart from broken lock and damaged bag)?

• Advertisement

Did you carry the case to the aircraft yourself or did the officials take it? Most times you have to carry the case to the plane yourself. Doesn't give much time for ransacking at departure but there's always arrivals. Insurance doesn't cover bags not checked in and the airline is of the hook too. Fwiw I have checked my small bag in free with Aer Lingus a few times. Both at Dublin and abroad. I don't know if Ryanair do this though.

I carried the case myself...I actually wanted to hide/take off yellow sticker and take it with me, but I changed my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

sandra_b wrote: »
    I carried the case myself...I actually wanted to hide/take off yellow sticker and take it with me, but I changed my mind.

Unlucky then if it was opened at Budapest. I would stil report it to RY, they just might be keeping a record of incidents like this one, unlikely as that might seem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I did this because there were 3 other people in the queue with the exact Tripp case colour and all. And I wasn't prepared so hadn't my bag tagged with address/identifier.

• Advertisement

I was afraid because I tried to argue with them when they put tag on. The guy was very rude, told me he will call security.
    I'll try to complain and ask for new bag and the key. But it is really frustrating. Maybe the bag was stuck somewhere and they needed to break the key for some reason, but still...frustrating. If I had something valuable and it was missing ....

p.s. there were plenty of space in the airplane, they didn't count properly.

I was afraid because I tried to argue with them when they put tag on. The guy was very rude, told me he will call security.
    I'll try to complain and ask for new bag and the key. But it is really frustrating. Maybe the bag was stuck somewhere and they needed to break the key for some reason, but still...frustrating. If I had something valuable and it was missing ....

p.s. there were plenty of space in the airplane, they didn't count properly.

Happened me on a recent flight from Dublin too. Took far to many bags,result was lots of free overhead space. Might be a sort of sideways push to sell priority boarding? First 90 on board are guaranteed bags on board, and by the sound of you were well up the queue but possibly not priority?

Fwiw I carry a laptop size bag on board ( iPad, passport, phone and either a kindle or book for reading) and don't really care if they take the bag or not. Good luck with your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

They seem to allow bigger bags on if they're 'soft' material. My cabin bag is a big bag that maxes out the allowed proportions but because it's the sort you can sling over your shoulder they never ask to check it.

I think it is more likely to take cases with wheels. The person before me had soft bag without wheels, but they still put yellow sticker. No strict rules. They allowed at least 10 hard cases with wheels after me.
    I am stupid that I didn't take off yellow sticker. I was worried they have a record how many yellow bags are there and that I can delay the flight or they might call security.
    The best way is to try to be first in the queue or buy priority boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

I think it is more likely to take cases with wheels. The person before me had soft bag without wheels, but they still put yellow sticker. No strict rules. They allowed at least 10 hard cases with wheels after me.
    I am stupid that I didn't take off yellow sticker. I was worried they have a record how many yellow bags are there and that I can delay the flight or they might call security.
    The best way is to try to be first in the queue or buy priority boarding.

They do and it's happened many a time on flights out of DUB where ground crew will go on board and re-tag the bag and put it in the hold

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

how much clothes could you possibly need?
    shorts t shirts swimwear for 2 small kids?
    most apartments have a washing machine now
    stick on a wash before you go to bed hang them out the following morning dry as a bone before you eat breakfast half the time.
    even three times on a holiday will save a fortune in money and a pain in the hole at the airport and travelling.
    my wife used to bring reams of clothes when the kids were very young but we got sense around 4 or 5 years old

+100, just spent three weeks in Japan with an 8kg backpack. Always amazed at the amount of sh1te people bring on trips. Especially to sun resorts, wear almost nothing and can rinse out. I blame the rolly bag😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

Beefy78 wrote: »
    They seem to allow bigger bags on if they're 'soft' material. My cabin bag is a big bag that maxes out the allowed proportions but because it's the sort you can sling over your shoulder they never ask to check it.

My cabin bag, a holdall, is slightly smaller than the dimensions so i have never had any issues either, it is usually up to the 10kg limit and well crammed though as i usually squeeze my handbag into it as well before i board (I just stick my phone, passport and purse into my jacket pockets and i always get a window seat so i can have a snooze on the plane and once i'm sat in my seat i don't want to be getting up to get stuff)
    I noticed on the Ryanair website that it states for priority boarding "Only the first 90 wheelie bags are guaranteed to go in the overheads" so i'd say wheeled bags are definitely targeted moreso that holdalls and rucksacks etc

Since the 2 bag policy came back in i have noticed a lot of people really take the mickey though, and i have seen posts in FB groups where people have asked about the baggage restrictions and the amount of replies saying you can bring a wheely case AND a large holdall/rucksack are unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

chasm wrote: »
    Since the 2 bag policy came back in i have noticed a lot of people really take the mickey though, and i have seen posts in FB groups where people have asked about the baggage restrictions and the amount of replies saying you can bring a wheely case AND a large holdall/rucksack are unreal!

Fully agree, I've noticed it's actually delaying planes it's that bad, they need to set a date and then clamp down on it.

• Advertisement

They really do need to enforce the size of the second bag. Lot of passengers really taking the pee now. And there's the duty free on top of that - it's not counted as the second bag.

Fwiw EasyJet take absolutely no prisoners with to regard to the secong bag, no matter how small - it's absolutely no. AL are too 'soft' on the size of 2nd bag as well, just creates problems for the cabin crew. I have seen AL cabin crew asking for duty free and small bags to be placed under seats,and watched as a passenger in the first few rows, trying to keep a space for his hat and duty free in the overhead locker. Even as the crew were making the request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lovebug

This wasn't the case, pardon the pun, for me last weekend. Swissport staff were operating and I had a wheeled cabin bag and a small backpack as well. I was one of v few priority passengers though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've had 3 Ryanair flights in the past week and on all three of them the ground staff went down the queue tagging people's bags to go in the hold. "Only the first 90 bags are guaranteed" despite the fact we were near the top of the queue for the first flight. As our passport & boarding passes were being checked, ground staff asked would I like to check in the bag free of charge, I asked was it necessary and she kind of whispered to me no, go ahead, like she was doing me a favour. The flight wasn't even full, plenty of space for our bags when we got on. Possibly not so once the people near the end of the queue were boarding.

On our second flight we got on with the cabin bags but for the third flight they insisted that most people after a certain point check their bags. There were arguments from a few passengers and still overhead room when we got on but they were taking no prisoners.

Another thing we noticed on the second and third flight...despite having booked our flights together on the same booking, we were allocated separate seats. One row apart in both cases. The second flight we only checked in the night before so fair enough, we left it a bit late but we checked in for the last one 4 days in advance. As it turns out, they'd done this to most groups on the flight and there was an awful lot of shuffling and swapping going on on both flights, in particular the last one back to Dublin. I wonder if they are trying to force your hand now to pay to pre-book seats? I got a couple of emails asking me to pre-book seats to ensure I got to sit with my friend in the weeks running up to flight #1 so I guess I should have known!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

Noticed that as well booked a flight for 2 people Dublin to uk. one sitting in row 7 the other row 30. Happened on last 2 flights as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

knealecat wrote: »
    Noticed that as well booked a flight for 2 people Dublin to uk. one sitting in row 7 the other row 30. Happened on last 2 flights as well.

Did both parties check in at the same time or really late?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

amcalester wrote: »
    Did both parties check in at the same time or really late?

On the same ticket, booked in same time. 1st flight 1 day before flight, 2nd time 4 days befor flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sure what is wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

knealecat wrote: »
    On the same ticket, booked in same time. 1st flight 1 day before flight, 2nd time 4 days befor flight.

I thought that both parties check in at the same time they will be seated together, but if either party checks in separately to the other they don't.

I'm not sure if you're saying you checked both in at the same time and ended up in different rows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

amcalester wrote: »
    I thought that both parties check in at the same time they will be seated together, but if either party checks in separately to the other they don't.

I'm not sure if you're saying you checked both in at the same time and ended up in different rows.

Ryanair won't always put people in the same party together, even if they check in at the same time.

Advertisement