Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Checking in is like child friendly gambling.

Didnt pay, rolled a window seat(A)! Huzzah.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

A group of 5 of us, including my 79 year old mother flew to and from Glasgow within the last two weeks.
    We were deliberately distributed throughout the aircraft, on both outbound and inbound flights, with me in 4B, and my mother in row 30, despite the fact that there were empty seats beside us. All in row B.
    This is very deliberate on Ryanair's behalf to make the consumer cough up more.
    Flew with Ryanair at least 8 times last year, never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A group of 5 of us, including my 79 year old mother flew to and from Glasgow within the last two weeks.
    We were deliberately distributed throughout the aircraft, on both outbound and inbound flights, with me in 4B, and my mother in row 30, despite the fact that there were empty seats beside us. All in row B.
    This is very deliberate on Ryanair's behalf to make the consumer cough up more.
    Flew with Ryanair at least 8 times last year, never happened.

Of course it's deliberate. You either pay for a seat or roll the dice .
    I don't think Ryanair really give a **** unless they start losing passengers this is here to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭joeysoap

It's also not a coincidence that the empty seats were all in row B. Expensive to purchase. I think I a few spotted this trend in a previous post, poster paid €20 to get two together. The cheapies will in all probability be purchased early.

AL allocate seats at checkin and I have been asked at the actual boarding gate if I was willing to exchange seats. This was to accommodate a family who also checked in late and requested seats together. ( I think if a family are looking for seats together they should at least turn up at the airport for early checkin but clearly they were after me that day, and I wasn't early by any stretch).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

That's a good re-frame right there!

If only Ryanair had been upfront with changing their policy and put a similar slant on it, perhaps people wouldn't be feeling so hard done by and deprived? Or utilised some kind of informed phase-in of the changeover? Pretending that it's the same as it always was is disingenuous and just creates resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

yabadabado wrote: »
    Of course it's deliberate. You either pay for a seat or roll the dice .
    I don't think Ryanair really give a **** unless they start losing passengers this is here to stay.

if I'm in the waiting area what's to stop me touting for a seat - my wife is in row 7 and I'm in 24. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MOH wrote: »
    I can't see it getting banned, there's nothing wrong with it. The price quoted is the price of the flight. If you want something extra, that's extra.

I think it's pretty obvious when they initially brought in charges for seat selection they mistakenly assumed that people who wanted/needed to sit together would pay the extra couple of euro to do so. They failed to account for the vast numbers of people who were too cheap to do so, but assumed they'd still be seated together anyway, and then would start complaining if they weren't and insisting they had to sit beside their kids.
    They've now realised they're not getting the expected revenue from seat reservations and have drastically cut the probability of sitting together without paying for it.

Whatever revenue increase they're looking for is going to come from somewhere, either a base price hike, and increase in baggage fees, some new charge. Increasing the revenue from an existing charge that was always in place but people were avoiding is probably the least drastic thing they could do.

You mean they failed to account for customers presuming that it would be the way it's always been...

if I'm in the waiting area what's to stop me touting for a seat - my wife is in row 7 and I'm in 24. :mad:

Remember all those videos on YouTube with passengers taking clothes out of bags and wearing them?

Wouldn't it be gas to see videos of passengers trying to swop seats on before boarding :)

This only one there's lots more.

https://youtu.be/4OO_zUw8AiA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I didn't last 30 seconds of that..

[QUOTE=joeysoap;103854481
    Wouldn't it be gas to see videos of passengers trying to swop seats on before boarding :)

[/QUOTE]

The logistics of that is frying my brain! I imagine there'd be a fair few swaps to go through before you'd get 2 seats together.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

RoYoBo wrote: »
    The logistics of that is frying my brain! I imagine there'd be a fair few swaps to go through before you'd get 2 seats together.

Any statisticians on here who can help with this one?

Any statisticians on here who can help with this one?

They're all working for Ryanair :)

ED E wrote: »
    Checking in is like child friendly gambling.

Didnt pay, rolled a window seat(A)! Huzzah.

F, in the rear near the door. Win again! (Check in late ladies and gents)

ED E wrote: »
    F, in the rear near the door. Win again! (Check in late ladies and gents)

I've been monitoring a few random flights lately from when free check-in opens 4 days in advance until last check-in 2 hours beforehand and definitely notice the same (I need to get a life!). Once all the middle seats are gone, the rest of them on offer are grand for me.

If you leave it until the last minute ( a tad risky maybe) you might even get a priority seat! I mean, what can they do? You've bought a seat on the plane, right? From what I understand, once they've booked the plane fully, you must be seated and they don't overbook ... yet anyway. Or am I wrong?

But does that also mean once all the middle seats are gone, and we all appear to agree they are dishing those out first, that couples are less likely to get two seats together? If the middle ones are gone, all that's left are aisle and window.

joeysoap wrote: »
    But does that also mean once all the middle seats are gone, and we all appear to agree they are dishing those out first, that couples are less likely to get two seats together? If the middle ones are gone, all that's left are aisle and window.

That's exactly what it means and why I said earlier that Ryanair appear to be shooting themselves in the foot. Before now, we had either an incentive to book early for a good seat and/or the option to pay extra for 'chosen' seats at almost any stage.

Now, the opposite is true for booking early and if you book late you cannot get a seat together, even if you pay! For us, we'll live with the better seat at late check-in, even if apart from each other for the duration. Ryanair will, in addition, suck up the loss of our food and drink purchases as neither of us care to be Billy-no-Mates dining and drinking on our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

If you leave it until the last minute ( a tad risky maybe) you might even get a priority seat! I mean, what can they do? You've bought a seat on the plane, right? From what I understand, once they've booked the plane fully, you must be seated and they don't overbook ... yet anyway. Or am I wrong?

You're not wrong - if the only seats left are the priority seats then they dish those out.

• Advertisement

We should probably say nothing or the wider public will get in on the action ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There have been GDS screenshots on A&A showing in excess of 200 seats sold on some flights - only on routes with high frequency and clearly with history of a large number of unused seats.

L1011 wrote: »
    There have been GDS screenshots on A&A showing in excess of 200 seats sold on some flights - only on routes with high frequency and clearly with history of a large number of unused seats.

Are there any reports of people being bumped off flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

lawred2 wrote: »
    You mean they failed to account for customers presuming that it would be the way it's always been...
    No, I mean what I said.

Presumably by "always" you mean "for the last three years", given that they only started allocating random seats to everyone in Feb 2014.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are there any reports of people being bumped off flights?

Some of them finding volunteers with bribes; none of refused boarding. People not under time pressure will often take a bribe of less than the normal refused boarding compo, basically; and Ryanair would always have a good % of leisure passengers.

I was half offered €200 once by AL at Faro but I turned it down.

A) it was an evening flight and the official wasn't overly clear I could get a flight the next day (perhaps she genuinely didn't know)

B) didn't mention transport to an hotel, meals or an hotel itself for that matter

C) I know for certain that others were offered €400 at Dublin for overbooked flights

D) it was only half hearted it in first place, we were fairly near the end of the queue, and as the AL mobile boarding app dosent work at Faro lots of passengers in the queue. Free checkin is only 30 hours before flight, and most passengers (self included) couldn't be arsed to look for an Internet cafe, so we just queued up for the boarding pass. The conversation went something like 'would you mind not getting this flight? It could be worth €200 not to fly' or something along those lines. She wasn't t pushing it, maybe hoping a few wouldn't turn up.

Never got that email from them. Would cover most resort airports in high season but particularly Faro, which is a building site for the past 2 years.

https://en.aeroportodefaro.com/news/faro-airport-fully-renovated-by-2017

Completed by spring of 2017 - in their dreams. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The Portuguese airport company appear to be at least slightly incompetent from experience.

Advertisement