Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Got a renewal quote fully comp of €762. I went online and were quoted €592 with the same insurer and level of cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭masterboy123

It happened to me once but they told me the online quote includes "New customer 15% discount" and i am no longer their new customer.
    Got a renewal quote fully comp of €762. I went online and were quoted €592 with the same insurer and level of cover.

It happened to me once but they told me the online quote includes "New customer 15% discount" and i am no longer their new customer.

It happened to me once before. I bought it online and got a new policy number. I got a cheaper quote with Allianz and the policy includes a refund of my car tax. I am just trying to figure out if I will get a full refund or if there's a catch, because it seems too good to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Was this BOI car insurance by any chance?

368100 wrote: »
    Was this BOI car insurance by any chance?

No, 123.ie.

• Advertisement

I have been with 25plus for 4 years now, my renewal this years was double last years at 965. I couldnt find anything cheaper with the same amount of cover until i decided to check ItsForWoman, which is the exact same company. The quote i got with the same details was 761! :confused:

Ill take it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

Has anyone heard of any insurers offering discounts for a dashcam?

Or is it better to not mention it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Car: Nissan leaf
    Licence: Full Irish (9 years)
    Years driving: 9
    NCD: 5
    Claims: 0
    Comprehensive insurance
    Insurer: Liberty

2016: 650 (440 premium + 210 to change to fully comp when I bought the leaf)

2017 Renewal:
    Liberty €900

Best competitor quote: Britton Insurance, €580

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

magnavox wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of any insurers offering discounts for a dashcam?

Or is it better to not mention it?

It came up before and in the UK Swiftcover.com offer it for Nextbase owners for one. I've just ran the gamut over past fortnight (or more) with them (insurers) seeking cheaper insurance and I've never seen it available here.

Car: Mercedes 2015 1.6 L diesel
    Licence: Full Irish (5 years)
    Years driving: 3
    NCD: 3
    Comprehensive insurance
    Insurer: Kennco

2016: 1150

2017 Renewal:
    Kennco €1450
    Allianz 1600
    AA 1459
    AIB 1550
    Liberty 1300
    BOI 1410
    Clements unable to provide quote
    123.ie 1150
    25plus.ie 1060.

Settled with 25plus.ie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Car type and engine: 2016 VW Golf 1.4TSi
    Years driving:10
    Any claims: 0
    Provider: Zurich

2016 = €616.79
    2017 = €730.85

an 18% increase from last year

Got a good price from a broker in Dublin - Glennon's Insurance @ €611 underwriter is Zurich which means I keep the same benefits as my old policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

ELM327 wrote: »
    Car: Nissan leaf
    Licence: Full Irish (9 years)
    Years driving: 9
    NCD: 5
    Comprehensive insurance
    Insurer: Liberty

2016: 650 (440 premium + 210 to change to fully comp when I bought the leaf)

2017 Renewal:
    Liberty €900

Best competitor quote: Britton Insurance, €580

Ask whom is underwriting the Britton policy
    (Google the company if not a instantly recognised name as some international company trade here but like Setanta could leave over night)

Also if the 220 was for few months opposed to annul rate then last years policyholders rate may have been more

Be sure to get minimum step back protection

• Registered Users Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Full NCB protection, and the policy is with Zurich.
    Cheaper than directly through Zurich themselves for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

2.0 litre ford Cougar, 3 years ago i was paying about 450, now its 1200. Fully comp. Clutch went on car and i still wasn't covered to get it towed.

Changed to a 1.6 Honda and they upped the price as Honda's attract a higher premium so i was told.
    I have asked for confirmation of this change but so far nothing from insurance company.

37 year old male with full NCB and no penalty points.
    It's a complete ripp off

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

U prob won't get in writing. Honda probably grouped higher

Go to parkers.co.uk

Type in both cars
    Higher group= higher insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Renewal came. Bank of Ireland RSA. 02 VW PASSAT. 4 years n/c 0 penalty points.

Last year:€980
    Renewal:€3142

I rang up and asked the agent about the renewal and said I was astonished. The agent agreed and said there must be a mistake. She said she has to forward on the query to someone more senior in pricing and will get back to me.

Obviously not holding my breath...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Car: 10 1.6 Golf
    Years driving: 7
    claims: 0
    Last year: FBD 1026 but had a family member on open drive as he was under 25
    Renewal: 887
    Removed open drive and added partner 640
    Axa 721
    123.ie 739
    Boi online 1442
    Cornmarket 676
    Aviva 673
    Zurich 1026
    Glennon 775
    Itsforwomen wouldn't quote

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

_Puma_ wrote: »

I rang up and asked the agent about the renewal and said I was astonished. The agent agreed and said there must be a mistake. She said she has to forward on the query to someone more senior in pricing and will get back to me.

Wow, fk that :eek:. Did you ring 123? Or any of the brokers? I've been ringing up nearly every broker on the iba.ie website. Worth a try I'm sure you'd get cheaper if you keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

It's 15 years old now,and getting uninsurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

vandriver wrote: »
    It's 15 years old now,and getting uninsurable.

That magic age that the Irish car insurance cartel decide your car is all of a sudden a menace on the road. Be worth getting that in writing if it is the justification for that ridiculous quote.

It's so galling as they punish the very people who look after their car. I've no doubt I'll get another 100k out of it. It's been a well maintained car even before I got it (have the full garage service history) and never missed an oil change or fail an NCT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Car industry does well and also could be well worth looking into EV as many could change over and save a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Car: Fiesta ST2
    Year: 2016
    NCB: 10 Years.
    License: 9 Years Full
    Cover: Fully Comp
    Last Year: AIG €658
    This Year: AIG €822

Just got this in the door from AIG, will ring around in the coming days, its up on June 29th.

Checked around quickly there online, cheapest was 25Plus at €660, most expesnive was Aviva at €1290.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Car: Fiesta ST2
    Year: 2016
    NCB: 9 Years.
    Claims: 0.
    Points: 0 (Had 4 but that was over 4 years ago I assume expired)
    License: 8 Years Full
    Cover: Fully Comp
    Last Year: AIG €560 (from the previous car, an 07 Astra OPC, didnt change when I got the Fiesta in January)
    This Year: AIG €850

Seems to be the cheapest around too from some provisional checks online without ringing around, its not up for renewal until June 30th so I've some time to ring around.

I got the cheapest from 25plus too.
    GavRedKing wrote: »

Checked around quickly there online, cheapest was 25Plus at €660, most expesnive was Aviva at €1290.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I got the cheapest from 25plus too.

Ya, I'm going to ring AIG see what they can do for me before I commit to 25 Plus, but I cant see them dropping down to last years rate to match 25 Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Alan_007_

Car: 1.9 TDI Golf
    Year: 2005
    NCB: 2 Years.
    License: 4 Years Full
    Cover: TPFT w/ windscreen cover
    Last Year: Axa €2,050
    This Year: Liberty €1,114

Almost half what I paid last year. Needless to say, I'm pretty delighted with that.

For anyone renewing too, liberty have a flash sale this weekend. Saved me €135 off the quote I got from them yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

That magic age that the Irish car insurance cartel decide your car is all of a sudden a menace on the road. Be worth getting that in writing if it is the justification for that ridiculous quote.

It's so galling as they punish the very people who look after their car. I've no doubt I'll get another 100k out of it. It's been a well maintained car even before I got it (have the full garage service history) and never missed an oil change or fail an NCT

Even worse Puma heard it was 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Car industry does well and also could be well worth looking into EV as many could change over and save a fortune.

EV? Electric Vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The Guvnor wrote: »
    EV? Electric Vehicle?

Correct.

There are extremely cheap policies and quotes to those with them.

Save a fortune on fuel, tax and it really will take off with new larger battery releases next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I changed my car and policy.

Alfa gt 04" 1.9 jtdm - cheapest third party, which does not even includes windscreen cover - 1060eu. Renewal went up from 1000eu this year and still cheapest I could get.

Bought Seat ibiza cupra 1.8t 192hp 2017 and changed cover to fully comp for obviuos reasons. Extra 20eu, thats on policy that I took april 28th. Not bad, but I am pretty sure my insurance is so high due to Limerick city.

• Advertisement

Whats your age and experience ? NCB?
    I changed my car and policy.

Alfa gt 04" 1.9 jtdm - cheapest third party, which does not even includes windscreen cover - 1060eu. Renewal went up from 1000eu this year and still cheapest I could get.

Bought Seat ibiza cupra 1.8t 192hp 2017 and changed cover to fully comp for obviuos reasons. Extra 20eu, thats on policy that I took april 28th. Not bad, but I am pretty sure my insurance is so high due to Limerick city.

Advertisement