Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,977 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Right, so she got a 'decent' quote of €830 through 123.ie but it rises to €990 if she ticks that she's claimed for a windscreen in the last four years. She's had comprehensive the whole time she's had her current car, almost 3.5 years. I thought having Comprehensive with windscreen cover was supposed to exempt her from a higher premium?

Ah the madness continues. She input all of the same details for the above but put in having an Irish licence and having it for 0 years instead of her 10+ years Polish licence...... came down to €750... including having claimed for a window replacement.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Keep going. At 1 point they must be sending an insurance disc and money to your address :D

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Car type and engine: 2016 VW Golf 1.4TSi
    Years driving:10
    Any claims: 0
    Provider: Zurich

2016 = €616.79
    2017 = €730.85

an 18% increase from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

an 18% increase from last year
    Rewarded for being a good driving..... by an increase in premiums

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

HiGlo wrote: »
    Ncd: 6
    Car: 2016 Ford Focus 1L
    Quote: €692
    RSA with 123.ie (have been with them for years)

It's that time of year again.... :( Hiked up again... I've switched car again. Back to a Focus.
    Was quoted €692.59 and phoned up to find out the monthly instalments. It'll work out at €752.25 if I pay in instalments.... I might try Aran again and see what kind of quote I get...

Shopped around and got cheaper with Aran Insurances (€635) and then cheaper again with Its4women (€586). Was regularly hounded by 123.ie so told them I got cheaper offer, and within about 3 seconds my offer from 123.ie was reduced by €100! (€593)

While the one off payment amount was cheaper with Its4women in fact the monthly payment option would have resulted in more so I ended up going with 123.ie - less hassle too having no paperwork to do (my ins expires midnight tonight!).

I think I've been pretty lucky with my quotes over the years looking at some of the prices here...! I've had a claim (well 2 if you count the windscreen claim) and penalty points and I'm still paying less than €600 a year for car insurance.... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

County: Louth.

Car: 2003 Toyota Avensis 1.6.

Driving: 31+ years (if only it counted,.. 5 years NCD).

Licence: Full 29+ years, no points.

Cover: Fully comp, protected.

2016: €680 with First Ireland.

Renewal for 2017: €780 (First Ireland.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Wife just got renewal letter as below

Your Age: 44
    Car type and engine: 2012 Prius
    years driving: 20
    any claims: about 15 years ago 1 claim.
    Price and provider: 554 Allianz through AA. Step back bonus protection.

Going to search around as that seems a bit expensive.

So rang around a lot of places including some brokers and was getting quotes for 600 to 700.
    Called the AA and with a little bit of effort (not too much mind you) we got it reduced to €484. This includes me as named driver and wife is fully comp on other cars also.
    Payment by instalments brings total to €514.

Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Renewal from BOI insurance came.

€1046 up from €695 last year.

A whopping 50% increase!

Car: 1.6 02 Avensis
    NCB: Full / no claims ever
    Driving license: 10 years+
    No penalty points.

Most expensive quote was from Liberty which was north of 2000!!

Cheapest quote is 750 with 25plus.ie.

I know I have an old car but seriously is that the only thing that is killing me??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Xcellor wrote: »
    ...I know I have an old car but seriously is that the only thing that is killing me??

Sure there isn't sense or meaning to it. I renewed last week for 685 with AXA - full-comp and all the trimmings on a 1999 3l Jag.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Sure there isn't sense or meaning to it. I renewed last week for 685 with AXA - full-comp and all the trimmings on a 1999 3l Jag.

Phoned BOI and was basically told the only way I could get a cheaper quote was to go third party fire and theft. I said to check and tell me what the price would be, the agent put it to TPFT without windscreen cover and the quote came back more expensive!! I think it's a bunch of monkeys pulling cogs in whatever system generates these quotes.

Bloody joke. I'm so pissed off. Safe drivers get shafted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Xcellor wrote: »
    Phoned BOI and was basically told the only way I could get a cheaper quote was to go third party fire and theft. I said to check and tell me what the price would be, the agent put it to TPFT without windscreen cover and the quote came back more expensive!! I think it's a bunch of monkeys pulling cogs in whatever system generates these quotes.

Bloody joke. I'm so pissed off. Safe drivers get shafted...

Too right. I thought I did reasonably well this year, given the evil days that are in it, but I still took a 20% rise.

Tried AXA just there over 1k :(

its4women (im a guy) came back ~ 750, just under 10% price increase from last year but a hell of a lot better than 50%

Really does pay to shop around, also helps if other driver goes with same insurer & if other policies (home ins for eg). Would have just renewed with present insurer if they werent taking the p*** & increasing it again this year..
    Male, over 10yrs driving, no claims or penalty points, 08 Mondeo 1.8, below are comprehensive with step-back ncb protection
    Chill - 780
    Liberty - 755
    FBD - 729
    Axa - 724
    25plus (current insurer) - 665 (up from 559 last year 390 year before that)
    123.ie - 586
    AA - 582
    Aviva multi-car - 440 (discount given for another car policy & house policy)
    Going with Aviva obviously.. fully protecting the NCB for another 20 even though I reckon its just a gimmick..

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I've an 04 focus, insurance was due Monday.
    Have been with 25plus.ie for the last two/three years, they quoted 700+, up from below 500 two years ago, about 550 last year.
    Shopped around and got very little difference between all the insurers with the exception of some ridiculous ones (Liberty, I'm looking your direction).
    Ended up going with Allianz direct as slightly better additional options for €670.
    40 year old male, driving for 17+ years, NCB in my own name for all of that, full licence for 16 years.
    To be fair, the age of the car didn't seem to cause too many issues bar the standard increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭chancer12

Age 60, female, Dublin 18
    Car: Ford Fiesta 1.25, 2010
    NCD: max
    Driving: 35+ years

Second driver: age 22, female, provisional licence
    1883.45 Its4Women
    fully comp

Insurance due over weekend, any advice re insurers who will quote for provisional drivers appreciated. Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

@chancer12 - My details back a page post #2662. My renewal was €780 with First Ireland and I thought that was best I could do but got €760 from 25Plus then €700 from QuoteDevil (KennCo.) Other that that after 31 years claim free I was getting in excess of €1300 from 123.ie, AXA and AA.

The ones in bold are worth a try.

Just got an amazing quote from An Post, I'm 2671 above and they've quoted me 1250 for fully comp to include breakdown assist, windscreen cover, replacement keys and full step back. Thought I'd be annihilated because of my prov driver! Getting greedy now, will ring around a few more but that seems very good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Last year's premium was 750.

Renewal 1350.

Highest quote 1470 with 25plus.

Boi prestige policy 730.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Last year's premium was 750.

Renewal 1350.

Highest quote 1470 with 25plus.

Boi prestige policy 730.

My policy last year with BOI was 700 euro

Just received renewal from BOI for 1050 euro.

Have full ncb and no claims or accidents.

Increase of 50% for no reason.

Any chance you could let me know your details, age car ncb? By pm if you wish. Im goimg to ring them tomorrow and have it out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Didn't know BOI did car insurance.

Out of curiosity ran a quote with them (having just switched to 123) - with discount for being an banking customer it would have been around €70 cheaper.

Refund from 123 would be less the €55 admin fee so not worth the effort this time. But next year for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

37 male
    Full NCB, no penalty points.
    15 year old 1.9TDI
    With 25PLUS

Last year I paid €571

Renewal email received yesterday,
    €1100-1200!!

Doubled! Mad stuff altogether Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

called chill back to see if they could beat britton because I missed a few calls from them

phone call went like this

chill: what was your better quote
    me: I'm not telling you that just tell me the best price and we will see if you beat it
    chill: well it's either a quote from AXA or Liberty as they're the only ones who will cover cars over 15 years old and I can see what those quotes would be if I look it up
    me: it's 1539 from britton, do axa or liberty underwrite them?
    chill: I'll look up your details again and see if we can come close to that
    [time passes]
    chill: we will take you off the list for follow up calls and please try us again next year

If I went named driver only on a car , and or used my motorbike as main form of transport could I keep my NCBs or would they still expire after 2 years of no policy in my own name and I'd have to explain a gap in my cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

bd2012 wrote: »
    37 male
    Full NCB, no penalty points.
    15 year old 1.9TDI
    With 25PLUS

Last year I paid €571

Renewal email received yesterday,
    €1100-1200!!

Doubled! Mad stuff altogether Ted.

Got a much more reasonable quote over the phone from Allianz in the end. He's posting it out to me.

Self: 60 with 35+ years driving, on points, full claims bonus, 1.2 Fiesta
    Daughter: 22 on provisional licence
    Its4Women 1885
    Cornmarket 860! fully comp, full stepback, am in public sector and they have a special PS category, happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

My mind is boggling at some of these quotes as a friend - male,36 with a provisional (!!) got his insurance for 560e with Liberty. He has a 09 1.4 Focus and lives in Dublin.

He must have some kind of magical powers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

33 male
    Full NCB, no penalty points, full licence.
    15 year old 1.5 Nissan Almera.
    With Frist Ireland last year €700, this years renewal -> €850.

Always found them a pain in the arse to deal with anyways, so I was worried how good they would be if i had an accident.

Called around, best quote I got was with Allianz.
    Fully comp, no claims protection, insured to drive other cars, all the bells and whistles for...... €513.

Happy with that, it pays to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Parchment wrote: »
    My mind is boggling at some of these quotes as a friend - male,36 with a provisional (!!) got his insurance for 560e with Liberty. He has a 09 1.4 Focus and lives in Dublin.

He must have some kind of magical powers!

Friend of mine is 25, full licence with 4 years ncb. He got insured for 780 on an impreza sti.

Me, 34, 10 years ncb was quoted 1180 on a Vectra Sri diesel.

Liberty are a strange company.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Car type and engine: 2016 Hiyundai i20
    Years driving:10 +
    Any claims: 0
    Provider: Allianz
    Cost: EUR 455 (would have been about 30 euro cheaper if I had OH as named driver but he may have a claim pending so couldn't put him on).

Was with BOI last year, sent out renewal for EUR 572. When I rang them to say I would be ringing around and what was their best price they said that was it!! First time that insurance company has never offered some reduction.

It's far from the days (about 2 years ago) when I paid EUR 280 with Aviva for a similar sized car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

30 year old male
    16 year old Ford Focus 1.6
    Full Licence
    4 years NCB
    Wexford

Renewal is 850 with Liberty, 300 more than last year. Got quoted 1150 by Axa and AA - waiting on a local broker to get back to me - don't think I have many more options given the car is 15+ years old??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We had to renew our policy, that was fun.

28 year old Male
    06 Citroen C3 1.1
    Provisional Irish for 2 years
    Dublin 9
    1 year NCB

Second Driver:
    26 year old female
    Full EU for 4 years

Paid 1165 in the end, ended up paying 1900 last year because I wasn't (I'm the second driver) living in Ireland for 12 months prior to the policy beginning. Only Axa and Aviva would insure us because of that and also no way that I got a reasonable quote, they also wouldn't take my years insured back home in consideration. So it was actually cheaper to make him on a Provisional to the main driver and putting me on as named.
    Same game this year, even though I've been driving here for a year without claims, I would either get no quote or ridiculous ones.
    Going to exchange my licence from EU to Irish this year (still don't get why this is necessary with EU) and he'll be having his Full Irish until the next renewal.
    Back in Austria I paid 33 per month for a third party, it's nuts.

Advertisement