Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jimgoose wrote: »
    ...Reckon I'll get it for 700 - I'll give them a few thumps next week. :D

685, AXA, including comprehensive on other cars. Result I'd say, given the evil days that are in it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

jimgoose wrote: »
    685, AXA, including comprehensive on other cars. Result I'd say, given the evil days that are in it. :D

On the Jag?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

KC161 wrote: »
    On the Jag?

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Insurance quote in this morning from liberty through chill:

Ncd: 3
    Car: 00 Skoda Fabia 1.4 petrol
    Quote: €1761.91

mine has come down this year

Quote from glennons €1,763.23 (500 euro excess)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

Ncd: 9
    Car: 2012 Skoda Octavia 1.2 petrol
    Quote: €656
    Chill insurance with AIG

Last year it was €460 with a 03 Corolla 1.4l

Feel slightly violated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

HiGlo wrote: »
    Out of interest, I did a search in my emails to see my renewals over the past few years.....

2012 - €361.30
    2013 - €328.75
    2014 - €353.95
    2015 - €424.87

For my 2014 renewal that involves a change of car from a 2007 1.4 Focus to a 2006 1.6 BMW
    HiGlo wrote: »
    Grrrrrrr, got my renewal for 2016;
    €559.86

Not.happy.Jan.....:( Gonna shop around a little and see can I get something better. Been with 123.ie for 4 years or more now.

Ncd: 6
    Car: 2016 Ford Focus 1L
    Quote: €692
    RSA with 123.ie (have been with them for years)

It's that time of year again.... :( Hiked up again... I've switched car again. Back to a Focus.
    Was quoted €692.59 and phoned up to find out the monthly instalments. It'll work out at €752.25 if I pay in instalments.... I might try Aran again and see what kind of quote I get...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Gone from a low of €380 3 or four years ago to a high of €680 last year with a bit of an engine increase in the meantime. New car at the start of this year so went comprehensive which brought new quote to €881.

Just switched to 123.ie, quoted €566 last month but didn't pull the trigger fast enough and ended up paying about €645 - they knew they were cheapest, obviously!

Male
    Dublin
    9 years NCB
    Points 0
    1 Series 2017

Anyone have any tips for what I should do re: my 1700 quotes?

changing the car doesn't make much sense as I'd be spending a few thousand to save a few hundred.. so I think it's just a case of looking for a cheaper insurer..

Anyone have any tips for what I should do re: my 1700 quotes?

changing the car doesn't make much sense as I'd be spending a few thousand to save a few hundred.. so I think it's just a case of looking for a cheaper insurer..

Just shop around. Chill and Glennons are generally very expensive compared to my renewals.

Liberty, FBD/Nononsense, 123 all have reputation for being better for young drivers. When I originally signed up in my own name with Quinn they were the cheapest by miles and that was €2,000 / €2,100 at age 19.

123.ie: won't quote
    first ireland: First Ireland is pleased to quote you a premium of €1869.83.
    Currently with liberty renewal at 1760 odd euro
    fbd/nononsense: wont quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

123.ie: won't quote
    first ireland: First Ireland is pleased to quote you a premium of €1869.83.
    Currently with liberty renewal at 1760 odd euro
    fbd/nononsense: wont quote

Try adding a parent, it generally brings the quotes down. Between your age and the age of the car a lot of companies aren't going to quote

Remember that just because they won't quote online doesn't always mean they won't quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Britton insurance is a new broker in the south east. www.brittoninsurance.ie

oh lovely,

Britton Insurance is pleased to offer a Premium of €1539.44

that's an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Car: 05 Renault Clio 1.2
    Years Driving: 6
    NCD: 1 Year (stopped driving for a while)
    Best Quote: €1304 Aviva Fully Comp.

2016: €1596 (Chill)
    2017 Renewal: €1991

Additional Quotes:
    123.ie: €2719
    FBD: €2526
    AXA: €1979

It's crazy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sean46795

Insured as a named driver on my mother's policy so here goes.

Car: 2013 Opel Astra, 1.4

Price last year €1073 with Aviva.
    Renewal: €1147

Additional quotes.

Zurich: €960
    AXA: €2100
    Libery: €2053
    123.ie: €1400

Have since done a quote with Aviva online and it's only €850. Some strange reason when i rang them they couldn't give me the price I got online over the phone but overall will be happy to take the €850 when I see this thread and some prices people are getting. More than a €200 saving than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,977 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The missus is due for renewal this month. She's off work on maternity as she's due to give birth in about six weeks so I'm doing web quotes for her this morning and well, the below has left me stunned:

415493.JPG

She's had a Polish licence for 10+ years and has been driving in Ireland since 2011 with no claims/points. Car is a 2005 BMW 320i, living in Balbriggan in our own home.
    I guess she's going to have to change her licence to an Irish one. If she does that, can she no longer say she's held a licence for 10+ years? Is it advisable to change or leave it as it is?

Just added myself to the policy after only having a licence a year and...... it's dropped by €400.... still madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

The missus is due for renewal this month. She's off work on maternity as she's due to give birth in about six weeks so I'm doing web quotes for her this morning and well, the below has left me stunned:

415493.JPG

She's had a Polish licence for 10+ years and has been driving in Ireland since 2011 with no claims/points. Car is a 2005 BMW 320i, living in Balbriggan in our own home.
    I guess she's going to have to change her licence to an Irish one. If she does that, can she no longer say she's held a licence for 10+ years? Is it advisable to change or leave it as it is?

See problem is - They will always charge a loading on the license. It won't come down based on years. She needs an Irish license to earn penalty free driving. EU law means they cannot load higher based on another EU license, but in Ireland, they offer discounts on penalty free license.

Hope that makes sense. Try and put in that she has an irish license, full with no penalty points and see what the quote is

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

415493.JPG

Just added myself to the policy after only having a licence a year and...... it's dropped by ?400.... still madness.

I changed from Dutch to irish license in 2010 and always fill in i hold my license 25+ years.
    I had to renew mine anyway and since i wasnt registered in my COB anymore i didnt have much choice than to go for an Irish one.
    I did ask the question trying to get quotes whether it would bring the price down, but was told it would change a thing.

But, i had to start with 0 years ncb in 2010 as i had my 55% built up in Holland lost due to "inactivity"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

No vaseline supplied.

35 y/o and 36 y/o trying to get first time insurance on a Kia Ceed 2007 or 2012 Hyundai i10.

Backstory: We both have 15+ years of driving experience from South Africa and have swapped our license over to Full Irish License.

Kia Ceed quotes at €3914 for Third party only.
    Hyundai i10 quotes at €2338 for Third party only.

First Ireland, Campion and Blue are all asking for €2300 -> €4000
    123.ie wont even quote us.

What the hell? Are these insurers taking the .... out of us??

• Advertisement

No vaseline supplied.

35 y/o and 36 y/o trying to get first time insurance on a Kia Ceed 2007 or 2012 Hyundai i10.

Backstory: We both have 15+ years of driving experience from South Africa and have swapped our license over to Full Irish License.

Kia Ceed quotes at €3914 for Third party only.
    Hyundai i10 quotes at €2338 for Third party only.

First Ireland, Campion and Blue are all asking for €2300 -> €4000
    123.ie wont even quote us.

What the hell? Are these insurers taking the .... out of us??

That's kinda barbaric to be fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

I wonder how much of a difference doing the test here or Britain makes, obviously the standards between the two are similar. What are the standards in the likes of South Africa, India and the likes.

JamboMac wrote: »
    I wonder how much of a difference doing the test here or Britain makes, obviously the standards between the two are similar. What are the standards in the likes of South Africa, India and the likes.

It's the insurance companies that are the block and dictate this. For example, if you have an ECC license the insurance should be the same on that loading as any Irish license.

However, they offer discounts based on penalty free point driving. So in this case, having a french license means you cannot avail of the discount -

If you have a UK license you can as ours systems talk.

IF you have a license from anywhere else around the world, you can be sure that not only can you not get the penalty free driving, they are free to put a premium on that license.

Right, so she got a 'decent' quote of €830 through 123.ie but it rises to €990 if she ticks that she's claimed for a windscreen in the last four years. She's had comprehensive the whole time she's had her current car, almost 3.5 years. I thought having Comprehensive with windscreen cover was supposed to exempt her from a higher premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Wait you get dinged for windscreen replacement? that's BS might as well save the premium and put it into a windscreen savings account

Right, so she got a 'decent' quote of €830 through 123.ie but it rises to €990 if she ticks that she's claimed for a windscreen in the last four years. She's had comprehensive the whole time she's had her current car, almost 3.5 years. I thought having Comprehensive with windscreen cover was supposed to exempt her from a higher premium?

wow, should check the small print on that.I guess they are asking NEW customers if you have claimed a windscreen. IF you have they are charging a premium?

I am guessing that is the story here? You are asking them to be a new customer or adding a new driver?

If she was renewing with the same provider there wouldn't be a premium . Again, could be clever clogs insurance companies

flexcon wrote: »
    wow, should check the small print on that.I guess they are asking NEW customers if you have claimed a windscreen. IF you have they are charging a premium?

I am guessing that is the story here? You are asking them to be a new customer or adding a new driver?

If she was renewing with the same provider there wouldn't be a premium . Again, could be clever clogs insurance companies

This is it. She's currently with Kenco and they want to charge her €1000 to renew her policy. The policy through 123 would be with RSA Ireland (who she has been with in the past) so yep a premium for new customers. The policy would be in her own name and with no named drivers.

https://www.123.ie/downloads/RSAMotorPolicy1016.pdf

This is it. She's currently with Kenco and they want to charge her €1000 to renew her policy. The policy through 123 would be with RSA Ireland (who she has been with in the past) so yep a premium for new customers. The policy would be in her own name and with no named drivers.

Ok so you are right, Kenco cannot charge a premium for the windscreen coverage as she paid for that coverage.

In this case, any other insurance company CAN charge based on a windscreen breakage of 4 years. Never heard of this been done in the flesh though. Insane. Clearly they are looking for income anyway!

Add another female driver, older if possible to the policy as a named driver. Should, and often does - bring it down. If you are her partner - add yourself. Let us know how you get on.

Also if the car is worth near 5000 or 10000, then make sure you make the value over those values. So if the car is worth in your eyes, 4800, then make them know it is worth 5,100. etc.

It actually in most cases - brings down the premium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

A windscreen claim IS a claim. Most policies state that it won't have any affect on your premium, but that does not mean another company has to accept the terms of your previous contract.

• Advertisement

A windscreen claim IS a claim. Most policies state that it won't have any affect on your premium, but that does not mean another company has to accept the terms of your previous contract.

Summed up. Couldn't get that line out on a post.:)

Advertisement