Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Ncd: Full
    Car: 09 Vectra Sri 150bhp
    Quote: €598 with 25plus so went with that.

That's full comp with the wife as named. She has her own policy and 7 years Ncd.
    Renewal was 970 with post insurance up from 740 past year.
    3 years ago I paid 450 for the same policy so it's a massive rise, considering we have no points or claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,271 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The OH renewed the other day with 123 at just over €600, and she told me something that made me ask her if she was pulling my leg.

They asked had she a colour printer at home? If so, they could email her the insurance disc and she could print it out herself!

Couldn't believe this. They even want to get you to print your own disc now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

NIMAN wrote: »
    The OH renewed the other day with 123 at just over €600, and she told me something that made me ask her if she was pulling my leg.

They asked had she a colour printer at home? If so, they could email her the insurance disc and she could print it out herself!

AXA are doing that a while now.

My O/H had to do it a few years back.

Didn't realise others had followed suit.

All about saving as much money as possible with insurers.

Would it not be open to fraud?

I'd imagine it would.

I see someone who i know for a fact has no insurance using a scanned and altered disc.

But when you receive it via email attachment it can be done much easier.

The only way people are getting caught is by A.N.P.R

There isn't enough of those systems fitted to garda cars though.

I think come September that is all changing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I think every accepts that Insurance Discs are from a bygone era and are no longer a safe indicator that a valid insurance disc is in place. ANPR is the way

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yep I went with them this year and they said the same to me, I wasn't long telling them that that ain't gonna work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Got insured on a 2004 Golf TDI for E478 with 123.ie

Nearest competitor was over 100 quid dearer, one even quoting me over E1000

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Ncd: Full
    Car: 10 Toyota Hilux
    Quote: €610 with 123

Was with 25plus for the last few years. Renewal quote was €840 from €660 last year.
    Shopped around and €610 with 123 was the best. Fully comp, other half as named driver.
    The more loyal (or should I say lazy) you are to an insurer, the more they screw you.
    Lesson learned. I will shop around every single year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

E-Certificates are used, as 20% of insurance is now done online , with nearly all wanting to process there own Certs as more practice and really only want a policy number to tax car...

Those companies using same have them authed by compliance and Garda are made aware how to verify authenticity

• Advertisement

cplwhisper wrote: »
    E-Certificates are used, as 20% of insurance is now done online , with nearly all wanting to process there own Certs as more practice and really only want a policy number to tax car...

Those companies using same have them authed by compliance and Garda are made aware how to verify authenticity

Someone with better knowledge might let me know if any of this is true.

A driver who is uninsured goes and gets their car taxed by making up false details.

The car is then issued with a tax disc on this basis, given that insurance details,albeit false, are provided, doesn't this trick the A.N.P.R into thinking the car is insured when it isn't as the details provided are uploaded onto the national driver file or whichever database it is they use.

For now at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Each policy cancelled on an insurance company record results in list of regs going to Garda traffic Corp.

Any reg 'noted twice' to Garda will also flag RED on anpr system as vehicle they may wish to 'talk to'

I always enter my insurance details when renewing tax online, but someone told me you can leave these blank and it still accepts payment.

Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I always enter my insurance details when renewing tax online, but someone told me you can leave these blank and it still accepts payment.

Is this true?

You can enter anything and it will work. I put 123456 as my policy number every time and it works.

I got my renewal last week from Alliance for €728 up from €600 last year. 41 years old, 05 Avensis D4D, 15 years ncb etc. And still they were the cheapest. I had a little whinge at them when renewing and they knocked a few euro off. I got it for €699 in the end. Fully comp with a few extras. That was for me and the missus.

An increase from 600 to 699, you're one of the lucky ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

An increase from 600 to 699, you're one of the lucky ones.

I still feel hard done by, though!:pac:

Wasn't all that long ago I was paying less than 400 for the same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Insurance quote in this morning from liberty through chill:

Ncd: 3
    Car: 00 Skoda Fabia 1.4 petrol
    Quote: €1761.91

mine has come down this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Insurance quote in this morning from liberty through chill:

Ncd: 3
    Car: 00 Skoda Fabia 1.4 petrol
    Quote: €1761.91

mine has come down this year

Everyone Who started their insurance only recently will continue to decrease. This is because we never got the really low prices when insurance companies raced to the bottom.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Everyone Who started their insurance only recently will continue to decrease. This is because we never got the really low prices when insurance companies raced to the bottom.

It's a race to the top now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Ncd: 6+ No convictions, penalty points
    Car: Mazda 3 2010 1.6 diesel
    Quote: €978 fully comp me and named driver with same stats - AA; €550 with 123.ie

I should say I have been off the road almost 2 years and my insurance then was €350 so it's a considerable jump nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Best quote I could get on a 151 transit connect was 880, with my dad and myself on the policy. Steep enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A point I'd like to make. Where is this insurance for 280.00 that I see advertised? It's a complete fabrication. What percentage of drivers are getting this quote? So much for being in the EU, insurance in Ireland is a closed shop to make us pay ott prices. I will not be getting any car insurance, and intend to do without a car, and use my motorbike. The state can now pay for the caredoc to call out to us when our family needs them. There is no public transport in rural Ireland, and therefore no way to get into the nearest large town, therefore a car is not a luxury as it is in Dublin. The infrastructure in Ireland is crap.....Like it's politicians.

I think it is typically a female driver, aged 30 or 32, Full NCB, car in driveway and they live in Wexford (they always live in Wexford). At least that is memory from the ad, it is written in small white writing on the last screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think it is typically a female driver, aged 30 or 32, Full NCB, car in driveway and they live in Wexford (they always live in Wexford). At least that is memory from the ad, it is written in small white writing on the last screen.

They're not allowed to use gender to calculate risk anymore yet they do still quote female driver as a condition in the ads.:confused:

Occupation has a good chunk to do with it too. Female civil servant or teacher living in the back end of no where on 8,000 kms per year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They're not allowed to use gender to calculate risk anymore yet they do still quote female driver as a condition in the ads.:confused:

Occupation has a good chunk to do with it too. Female civil servant or teacher living in the back end of no where on 8,000 kms per year.

I am recalling from memory, so could be wrong but they do say it on the end shot in small white writing. Quote calculated based on blah blah blah. I want to say AXA. i think the Aviva ones said minimum quote is such and such, but no parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

Male
    Full Irish license 1 year
    2 year ncb
    04 Fiesta 1.2

2015 with JLT - 1510
    2016 with AA - 1399
    Today with Axa - 1185 fully comp

Not so bad, at least its consistently coming down every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Given all the horror stories in here and that I've heard recently, I was almost pleasantly surprised by my renewal quote this time round

Your Age: 49
    Car type and engine: 2015 Mini Cooper 1.5 petrol
    years driving: 30+
    any claims: 0
    Price and provider: €550 through a broker IPF, insurer is Bump (who I thought were leaving the Irish market, but there you go)

Same broker got me €490 last year with the same insurer, so a 12% increase (if I'm doing that sum right).

I did a bit of shopping around but no-one else came near it.

Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well it finally happened, after two years of hearing other peoples experiences, yesterday, I got the dreaded increase.

Renewals with my current broker, have been around €500 for the last two years or so. Down from around 600ish when I first went to them about 3 or 4 years ago. Shop arounds have ranged from around 500 to around the 1400 mark. Opened up their renewal yesterday afternoon, €720!! Car is 11 years old this year, really hoping this is not a sign of what other will be charging.

Any suggestions, first port is usually the brokers, either around me in Sligo, or home town of Donegal Town, then BOI (my home insurer), then trawling the web. Am tempted to go down the Third Party, Fire, Theft only, but she is still a good looking and reliable yoke.

Age 38
    Car 2006 1.4 Astra
    Driving 7 years
    NCB 6 Years
    No points, no convictions.

Last two years, 500ish on renewal. 720 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

21 year old male
    2002 1.0L Yaris
    1 Year NCB

Paid 2200 last year when starting policy. Save Company going with 3515.00. Broker says they have another company for same cover for 2500.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TheAdammaka

Male
    Age 59
    Commercial policy
    New policy, 5 years named driver experience
    NV-200 van
    No points ect.

2016-€795 Liberty
    2017- €2400 Liberty €1100 Axa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2016-€795 Liberty
    2017- €2400 Liberty

Holy crap!

Price trebled in one year with no claims etc? That's shocking. Possibly the worst bump I've seen here.

Took them 2 renewals and one claim for 123.ie to treble mine.

Advertisement