Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Whats your age and experience ? NCB?

Sorry, forgot.

Ncb: 9
    Driving licence: 13 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Driving a 1.6 ford mondeo 2011
    Full license
    35 years old
    Last year over 1100 euro full comp
    This year 782 full comp

My 2nd driver passed his test . Received a renewal quote for 1163 so went shopping around

• Registered Users Posts: 14,977 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Last year 2005 Fiat Panda and 0 NCB as I had just passed my test - €1024 with Kenco through Chill. Edited to add that I was 39 last year getting this quote.

This year with a 1 year NCB and having changed to a 2012 Fiat 500:

Chill - €800
    FBD - wouldn't quote
    AIB - nearly €1000
    Aviva - €1215.36
    Glennon - €571.10 (never heard of them but saw Fuzyfuzy mention them) - added my partner too.

With a new baby in the house I don't have loads of time to chase companies and I can't imagine it getting better than Glennon, so I've gone with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Kintarō Hattori;103722532Last year 2005 Fiat Panda and 0 NCB as I had just passed my test - €1024 with Kenco through Chill
    Im surprised you received such a low premium with zero NCB and an eleven year old car, well done
    Been trying to make heads or tails out of how these premiums are calculated and it seems one of the deciding factors is location, should we add a location field to future quote\renewal posts?
    Is the Dubliner paying more than the country bumkin or vise versa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Im surprised you received such a low premium with zero NCB and an eleven year old car, well done
    Been trying to make heads or tails out of how these premiums are calculated and it seems one of the deciding factors is location, should we add a location field to future quote\renewal posts?

Ahh...those damn country bumkins ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,977 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I am actually based in Dublin and the car is classed as being on street as I have no driveway. Had I kept the same car the quote this year was €715...but it seems the 500 is classed higher than the Panda.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Car: 2008 Volkswagen Golf 1.9 TDI
    NCD: 2 Year in my own name, 1 year previous as additional driver (3yrs total)
    Licence: 2 Year Full Licence, 1 year provisional (3 yrs total)
    Penalty Points: 0
    Cover: TPFT

Current insurer: Liberty
    Last Year: €1,308 (on a '06 Passat 1.9tdi)
    This year: €978

Only got my renewal today so I haven't done any shopping around, doubt I'll get any better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Car: 2013 BMW 320d M-Sport
    NCB: 10+ years
    Licence: Full Irish
    Cover: Comprehensive
    Other: My named driver has 3 penalty points for speeding. I also need Class I coverage for work.

Current insurer: 123.ie via RSA
    Last year €670
    This year: €603, revised to €670 when advised of the penalty points

So holding steady. I tried a few other insurers and I was quoted prices up to €1k, which is insanity. I am also checking with Bank of Ireland now as I am a customer and can avail of discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Car: 1997 BMW 840 4.4L
    NCB: 5 years
    Other: My mother is named driver
    Limitations Classic policy so millage limit of 6000 miles a year.

Current insurer: AIG
    Last year ?400
    This year: ?450

My mothers renewal.
    Car: 05 BMW z4 2.2L
    NCB: 4 years
    Other: son is named driver

Current insurer: AXA
    Last year ?2350
    This year: ?1090 better, but was paying 650 3 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Skatedude wrote: »
    My mothers renewal.
    Car: 05 BMW z4 2.2L
    NCB: 4 years
    Other: son is named driver

Current insurer: AXA
    Last year ?2350
    This year: ?1090 better, but was paying 650 3 years ago

Wow, what the hell your mother was paying 2350 euro for insurance last year. Could she not find any where cheaper that seems excessive.

Wow, what the hell your mother was paying 2350 euro for insurance last year. Could she not find any where cheaper that seems excessive.

The 2350 was by far the cheapest of the few that would even quote, most were over 3 grand.
    The usual excuse that the car is now over10 years old and therefore now going to be used by my 64 year old mother to stage a crash for cash claim.

Its an 05d z4 bought nearly new and has less then 40000 miles on it driven by a 64 year old retired bookkeeper, so obviously very high risk.

But at least it's coming down again,

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Mothers insurance:
    Car: 2013 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi
    NCB: 9+
    Years Driving: ~30

2015: ~550 with Axa
    2016: ~700 with Aviva

Renewal with Aviva is @ 742
    123.ie 1213
    BOI 442 Best so far!

Most around 700-800 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

What's really coming against her is the car being a convertible. A lot of providers wont quote for convertibles at all. She is unfortunate that the quote she did get was excessive on the face of it given the other particulars.

I have a Toyota MR-S I did manage to put on the road once for a reasonably affordable premium but its laid up since as any quotes I do manage to get for it are off the charts.

What's really coming against her is the car being a convertible. A lot of providers wont quote for convertibles at all. She is unfortunate that the quote she did get was excessive on the face of it given the other particulars.

I have a Toyota MR-S I did manage to put on the road once for a reasonably affordable premium but its laid up since as any quotes I do manage to get for it are off the charts.

Yes, but it's always been a convertible and was insurable for the first 10 years for app 600 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Recently changed from 2001 2.0 supercharged coupe to 2005 1.8 petrol Volvo. 150 euro additional premium for a policy that started in March. Looks like I am more likely to crash the Volvo, 25% more likely :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭obi604

Bloody annoyed here :(

Car: 2006 BMW 523i Automatic
    NCB: 14 years
    Cover: Comprehensive with no claims bonus protect
    Value: 3500 Euro
    Other: My wife is named driver. Car parked in a driveway in a good area.

Year before last: 470
    Last year: 720

This years initial quote back from Insurance company : 1075

Scandalous, my insurance has more than doubled in 2 years. same car, less penalty points etc.

going to do my usual now and go check all insurance companies.

Should I target any specific companies?
    Wonder should I just go third party fire and theft or does it even matter these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

TPFT for me on a similar car was 460 in January with Post Insurance (brokers for AIG). I also got competitive quotes from Bank of Ireland.

rocky wrote: »
    TPFT for me on a similar car was 460 in January with Post Insurance (brokers for AIG). I also got competitive quotes from Bank of Ireland.

thanks.

Did you have the no claims bonus protection?

At what value should the car be to consider getting fully comp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,719 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

obi604 wrote: »
    thanks.

I find especially with some brokers that on lower value cars it was cheaper to get fully comp than 3rd party.

• Advertisement

thanks. post coming in way cheaper. Bank of Ireland is way dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

obi604 wrote: »
    thanks.

NCB 7 years, 39 years old.

I've always gone for TPFT, passengers are covered anyway and if I have an at-fault crash - depending on the value - I'll probably try avoiding going through insurance.

NCB 7 years, 39 years old.

I've always gone for TPFT, passengers are covered anyway and if I have an at-fault crash - depending on the value - I'll probably try avoiding going through insurance.

Mmm, am undecided whether to do fully comp or their party. My car worth max 4000 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Easy way to decide if comp cover is worth it

Can u afford to pay to replace your existing car less the policy excess today then maybe u don't need comp

If u can't afford them pay the extra for comp !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Age. 54
    Male
    Ncb .. 10 +
    Skoda superb 09 2.0 tdi
    Fully comp +full bonus protect.
    €360.
    Aviva
    Happy out.

Son
    Age 19
    Male
    Ncb 1 year
    Full licence
    06 Ibiza 1.2
    Fully comp
    €770
    Aviva

Even happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

next year will you ring for my insurance?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Age. 54
    Male
    Ncb .. 10 +
    Skoda superb 09 2.0 tdi
    Fully comp +full bonus protect.
    ?360.
    Aviva
    Happy out.

Son
    Age 19
    Male
    Ncb 1 year
    Full licence
    06 Ibiza 1.2
    Fully comp
    ?770
    Aviva

Even happier.

You have dirt on them, havent you?

Although i have to say, last year Aviva would have been my choice as well if i hadnt been banking with BOI. Extra discount for that brought BOI's quote below the Aviva quote i had.
    Stayed with BOI despite an increase this year as it was still lower than Aviva's last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

inforfun wrote: »
    You have dirt on them, havent you?

Although i have to say, last year Aviva would have been my choice as well if i hadnt been banking with BOI. Extra discount for that brought BOI's quote below the Aviva quote i had.
    Stayed with BOI despite an increase this year as it was still lower than Aviva's last year.

I just played by their rules. Got the lessons for the young lad through them and insured him with them last year,€825 fully comp. €770 this year,can't believe it myself.

I have to stay with BOI this year.

Got a renewal for e745 up from e495.

Tried everyone and best was 25plus which was similar but possibly without Step Back protection so not worth it.

Others were generally e1000+.

The issue is my car, 02 Corolla.

I quoted an 08 Corsa last night(granted its 1.2 over a 1.4) but it would cost me e300 less.

Will look to change my car over the next year... older cars are just been forced off the road big time these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Anybody seeing reductions in quotes due to the setanta insurance ruling? Are we likely to see it?

Advertisement