Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Your Age: 35
    Car type and engine:merc cla220 cdi
    years driving: 18 years
    any claims: no
    Price and provider: Boi car insurance (rsa) €540 fully comp

This is second year I've been with them. First year was €540 , when I got renewal it was nearlying €800. I redid a quote online which came in at €540.

So I rang them and questioned it and they said I could go with Web quote but I'd need to cancel the renewal and take it as fresh policy rather than them just reducing my renewal.

Mind boggling policy.....they just caused themselves a lot more administration for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Was told by the BOI rep.... that if I opened a current account and became a BOI customer, I would get a 20% discount.

Hope this helps.

I saved €140 on my premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I had an old dormant BOI a/c and closed it last year. After that on here I was seeing people getting discounts and was kicking myself. You just reminded me of it. For 20% off and that kind of money I'd open an a/c and lob some money into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Your Age: 40
    Car type and engine: focus 1.6P
    years driving: 12 years (5 years with current car)
    any claims/points: no

Price and provider: Sheridan (sertus) €1060 third party.

That's an increase of €312 from last year. I've been with them for 2 years, so much for loyalty. She did leave a note saying she found cheaper prices, so I'll give her the chance tomorrow.

I did however get a quote, the cheapest so far from 123 for €513 tp f&t.
    It's pitiful but I have until the end of the month to find a better quote which will be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Your Age: 27
    Car type and engine: Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel
    years driving:7
    any claims:none
    Price and provider: €980 with itsforwomen

Up €200 from last year so have been shopping around last few days tried everywhere have been getting quotes over €1500 crazy finally got a great deal with 123 for €711 was well happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Your Age: 27
    Car type and engine: Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel
    years driving:7
    any claims:none
    Price and provider: €980 with itsforwomen

Up €200 from last year so have been shopping around last few days tried everywhere have been getting quotes over €1500 crazy finally got a great deal with 123 for €711 was well happy with that.

I'm at a loss with the figures for insurers.

Same car as yourself, 9 years ncb, 32 years old. Cheapest I got was my own company at €800, only at the start of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

KC161 wrote: »
    I'm at a loss with the figures for insurers.

Same car as yourself, 9 years ncb, 32 years old. Cheapest I got was my own company at €800, only at the start of the month.

It would actually frustrate you like that they can all have such different quotes its madness really is.

My own insurance provider straight out said no way they could match that and hope I might come back to them next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Wife's insurance up this month :

Your Age: 40+ Female & named 40+ male
    Car type and engine: 151 Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel
    years driving:10+
    any claims:None
    Penalty Points : 3 (2014)
    Price and provider: €440 with Its4Women

25plus.ie were almost exactly the same but the rest of the main players were €700-€900 and up to €1200

Overall I think the quote is not too bad given the current market but its still significantly up on where it was a few years ago.

It would actually frustrate you like that they can all have such different quotes its madness really is.

My own insurance provider straight out said no way they could match that and hope I might come back to them next year.

You switched providers then?

I got cheaper than the renewal quote by about €100 but the cover for that price was much less.

Been with AXA since 2008 non stop and this year they did give me money off for loyalty, pity you couldn't get the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CSween133

I'm currently paying 2200 to liberty on a 2003 1.4 petrol bora and want to change to a diesel, have my eyes on a 2002 1.9 diesel a4, anyone any ideas how much roughly it could cost to change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

CSween133 wrote: »
    I'm currently paying 2200 to liberty on a 2003 1.4 petrol bora and want to change to a diesel, have my eyes on a 2002 1.9 diesel a4, anyone any ideas how much roughly it could cost to change?

Just put in those exact details under a pseudonymon in their quote calculator, take the difference between totals and add whatever they list as their admin fee for changing vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Remember X-S Direct used to have cheapish insurance with extremely high excess. What is stopping other insurers doing the same thing and we would get cheaper insurance it's a win, win situation, unless you crash into someone and you will have to pay 3,000 euro excess.

Remember X-S Direct used to have cheapish insurance with extremely high excess. What is stopping other insurers doing the same thing and we would get cheaper insurance it's a win, win situation, unless you crash into someone and you will have to pay 3,000 euro excess.

I'd imagine this has happened to people and they refuse to pay.

KC161 wrote: »
    I'd imagine this has happened to people and they refuse to pay.

Never thought if that, no wonder they closed up shop here.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

Oh I havent been looking forward to this, but renewal came in this morning.

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer '99 1.3
    Licence: Provisional (6 years)
    Years driving: 3
    NCD: 3
    Claims: 0
    Cover TPFT
    Insurer: AXA

2016: 1011
    2017 Renewal: €1656!!!

I know the year and make of the car doesnt help, but just looking at the premium, it has gone up €500 for me :/

I did change car from a Merc A-Class to the Lancer halfway through my policy, as the Merc needed a lot of work to fix some issues.The Lancer was just temporary, so I'll have to change car or hopefully find cheaper insurance.

Any suggestions for cars that could be cheaper on insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Oh I havent been looking forward to this, but renewal came in this morning.

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer '99 1.3
    Licence: Provisional (6 years)
    Cover TPFT
    Insurer: AXA

2016: 1011
    2017 Renewal: €1656!!!

I know the year and make of the car doesnt help, but just looking at the premium, it has gone up €500 for me :/

I did change car from a Merc A-Class to the Lancer halfway through my policy, as the Merc needed a lot of work to fix some issues.The Lancer was just temporary, so I'll have to change car or hopefully find cheaper insurance.

Any suggestions for cars that could be cheaper on insurance?

Is there any particular reason why you have been driving on a provisional for 6 years? Gaining a full licence should surely bring that down

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

Yeah I've my licence for 6 but only driven 3 of that. I drove for the 1st year, and then I was away abroad (2years), so when I came back and got insurance, the year I gained NCD didn't count. Then with college I just never got around to doing the test. I'm hoping to do my test in June before my renewal.

Hoping it will help bring it down too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

is there somewhere you can see how makes/models of cars are classified by insurance companies?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Parchment wrote: »
    is there somewhere you can see how makes/models of cars are classified by insurance companies?

For all i know... they use this

220px-Wheel_of_Fortune_Round_1_template_Season_31.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Car: Mercedes Class 2015 1.6 Litre diesel
    Licence: Full Irish (5 years)
    Comprehensive insurance
    Insurer: Kennco

2016: 1150

2017 Renewal:
    Kennco €1450
    Allianz 1600
    AA cant provide quote
    AIB 1550
    Liberty 1300
    Clements unable to provide quote

Anyone can help me or advice me of a cheaper insurer?

• Advertisement

Trotters Independent Traders, just ask for Del Boy he will sort you out.

Is that an insurance company?
    Trotters Independent Traders, just ask for Del Boy he will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

You'll see a few on here getting favourable quotes from BOI if a customer. If you are not, try getting an online quote then ring them with the reference number and ask if you were a customer how much would it be. You will get 20% off the online quote. IF they beat your best maybe worth your while to open an account. I did with a view to discounts next year on car and home and this year they have been now the cheapest. €70 cheaper than current insurer quote.

Also BOI don't charge extra if you pay by the month.

BOI cannot provide quote as the policy starts after 28 days (my current insurance expires 30 days from today). So i will retry after 2 days.

Its4women gave the best quote so far of 1110e.

You'll see a few on here getting favourable quotes from BOI if a customer. If you are not, try getting an online quote then ring them with the reference number and ask if you were a customer how much would it be. You will get 20% off the online quote. IF they beat your best maybe worth your while to open an account. I did with a view to discounts next year on car and home and this year they have been now the cheapest. €70 cheaper than current insurer quote.

Also BOI don't charge extra if you pay by the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

My 77 year old father just got the renewal for his 17 year old volkswagen.€10 cheaper than last year at €450!
    Work that one out if you can.

Due to collect my new car tomorrow after getting finance approval.

Current car is a 2009 Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel. Renewal quote was €800 on May first.

The new car is a 131 Ford Galaxy 2 litre diesel.

I'll have to pay €244 to change over taking my policy to €1044 all in.

That is a 100% increase on 2015 all in.

Madness yes, but I need a 7 seater. To cap it off it has the higher tax, beggars can't be choosers.

I am wondering if 25plus.ie is a real valid insurance company. Anyone used them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

I am wondering if 25plus.ie is a real valid insurance company. Anyone used them?
    Of course they are.Why would you think differently?
    (To be accurate,they are brokers)

Ok. Myself and my friends never heard of them before. So just wanted to check if there are people who have used them.
    vandriver wrote: »
    Of course they are.Why would you think differently?
    (To be accurate,they are brokers)

• Advertisement

Ok. Myself and my friends never heard of them before. So just wanted to check if there are people who have used them.

I used them before a few years ago. They are fine. Handy to log into your account and change your insured vehicle.

Advertisement