Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Tbh the Nike involvement doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's not like I'd be running out buying a load of their gear either way. Don't Adidas have something similar on the go as well?

Thought that was an epic performance from all three of them, would have loved to have seen Kipochoge make it. Was fantastic to see all the pacers celebrating with him afterwards as you got a feel for the team spirit in the attempt. Impressive how well he looked after finishing!

Commentary was a bit on the ropey side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one delighted that they didn't succeed.

Suck it up , Nike

They'll still lap it up as a success and sell loads of shoes off it. I agree that it's a marketing ploy but do think it is beneficial.
    As an experiment in a controlled environment it showed what the human body is capable of and I think it will lead to faster marathon times - expect to see Kipchoge to break the WR this year.
    All in all fascinating to watch from both a runner and scientific point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Kipchoge's running form is incredible, even at the end, it looked so effortless to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

It starts with a two.

So its not a success. They can paint it how they like

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well that proves it's definitely possible, even if they missed it today. Surprised at how early on the other guys fell off the pace though, must have just got out of the wrong side of bed as they were all capable of at least making it to half way on pace.

Kipchoge just lost a bit in the last couple of laps, but was still within a second until well into the final few kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It starts with a two.

So its not a success. They can paint it how they like

I disagree, it now shows it very possible to run a sub 2 marathon. Alot of progress made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

I disagree, it now shows it very possible to run a sub 2 marathon. Alot of progress made.

I wonder will we see another attempt soon, once they've analysed today's data?

56k viewers on the YouTube stream, and I think over 100k on the Twitter one, so that'll be a success for Nike, considering I haven't seen much mention of it outside of running specific sites/forums, and the time it was on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure there is much point in another attempt. They have proven that it is possible to run significantly faster. Doubt that Nike would be overly bothered about another attempt too soon..... Unless rumours come out that another shoe manufacturer is about to have a go now they know how it's done.

You bet your ass there will be another attempt. Its so tantalizingly close . They could sell a million t shirts at fifty bucks a pop with 1.59 on them.
    It'd be a whole new range of gear

they wont sell many with 2.00.24 on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

This doesn't inspire me to go out and buy the shoes.

It does inspire me to go for a run today.

I think it was pretty amazing to watch. The technical and mental ability of these men today was unreal. I actually learned a lot just by watching. Kipchoge runs so relaxed and focused. He's super efficient in running form and until the last 10 minutes he made it look effortless.

The side bits were annoying but I did like what Kipchoge said in one of them. He said "It's not a chance. It's a choice."

All this, gimmick or not, is because someone decided they wanted to see what was possible. Someone asked 'what if?' As an experiment, it answers the question. Isn't that what experiments are for?

• Advertisement

Did you not see the poster with 1.59.59 in lights and the lads lined up in front of it. When it is done , there will be a huge marketing benefit to whichever company sponsored it.

Hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake

. I 'd say now marathon running will be affected at an elite level until it is done. The very top guys will be told that lifelong fame and unimaginable riches await the man who goes sub2 first and joe public doesn't give a damn where or how it is done.

Winning some so called marathon major for chump change can't compete.

Elites are already told they will have money and fame if they win marathons and break records. What's the difference? It's not like sponsorships and advertising are new. Athletes have been appearing on cereal boxes and posters for decades.

Kipchoge himself is a millionaire, but he still hauls water from a well and washes his gear in a bucket. He's obviously not in it for the money. He's in it to see 'what if'.

I think, after seeing the effort that went into the experiment, seeing just what it takes to run at that speed for that length of time, means that anyone wanting to officially break the record is going to have to do it for more than just the money and fame.

Ask joe average who holds the world marathon record for men?

Ask joe average who Roger Bannister is ?

The person who breaks the two becomes an Icon , a Michael Jordan or a Lance Armstrong or a Tiger Woods.

Its that level of fame

I don't really care who joe average knows or not. I could ask joe average who the biggest kpop star is right now and they wouldn't know. How does that change how I feel about kpop? It doesn't.

I think you're overestimating the interest joe average has in running. I don't think breaking the 2 hour marathon barrier will catapult someone to the level of fame like Jordan etc. Especially if it's broken by someone who, like Kipchoge, lives a humble life and isn't interested in fame. Becoming famous is easy. Staying famous takes effort. Most elites channel all their effort into running and don't have much left over for the fame game.

I might be over egging the argument a bit I suppose.

I'd just love to see the ads they've made, that they now have to chuck in the bin.

They said it couldn't be done, drum roll, it has been done . 1.59. Monza 2017 NIKE

JUST DID IT

Oh they already started that with the speeches at the end. It's now the 'fastest marathon ever run'.

Not sure that makes for as great a tshirt as 1:59 but I don't care. I won't be buying any tshirts anyway. :P

Nor will I, I'm off to my park run , enjoy your run

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Lot of hate for NIKE yet half the posters here probably wear Nike shoes/spikes/gear etc.

This run highlights the unfairness of Paula's record a bit more. Like Kipchoge, she was paced the entire distance. Not drastically different to this. Had to be worth at least a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Whilst I can understand some peoples cynicism for the whole project, I enjoyed it. 10k: 28:21:eek: phenomenal.
    When sub 2 is broken, and it will be, we can go back to world class marathon runners racing each other with a new appreciation for just how phenomenal these athletes are.

Ask joe average who holds the world marathon record for men?

Ask joe average who Roger Bannister is ?

The person who breaks the two becomes an Icon , a Michael Jordan or a Lance Armstrong or a Tiger Woods.

Its that level of fame
    This shows that it is possible, but it also shows that you need a lot of money and organisation behind the attempt, and a lot of other elites who are interested in assisting with the attempt.

Not sure if they would be able to get enough interest from all the required people to take themselves out of winning marathon prizes for a season as well as all the required other elites to pace them all aligned for a while. Maybe when a road marathon record gets down to 2:01 it will make the sponsors interested in the investment again. It's not like breaking the 4 minute mile where they can just get enough people together to have another go with the same person in a few weeks time. Kipchoge isn't going to be doing it again this year.

• Advertisement

It is now a huge prize. Its like the South Pole. You'll have a race to get there first.

Everlasting glory to the winner.

A set of steak knives to the losers

Absolutely, it's just the number of stars that need to align to make it happen and that you can't run again next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Got 5/1 on none of them Running under WR of 2:02:57. Ludicrous odds. Had been 10/1 but didn't react quickly enough.

4/6 on one of the 3 of them DNF-ing is silly too.

What are you going to do with all your winnings? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

When kipchoge fell off the pace did the pacesetters drop back with him or did he end up running on his own trailing the pacers?

spc78 wrote: »
    When kipchoge fell off the pace did the pacesetters drop back with him or did he end up running on his own trailing the pacers?
    The pacers dropped back but the car kept on pace.

There was also more pacers working with the others who had dropped off to try and keep them going.

neverever1 wrote: »
    What are you going to do with all your winnings? :D

Haha. Was worth a punt at those odds to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

joe public doesn't give a damn where or how it is done.

These days the how will very much be part of of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Haha. Was worth a punt at those odds to be honest.

Yeah it was but there was just too much in their favour for it to fail to go below world record.

neverever1 wrote: »
    Yeah it was but there was just too much in their favour for it to fail to go below world record.

One of them DNFing was my insurance bet to more or less cover me. Didn't think one of them would bother trotting in at 2:14. Must have been told that without finishing they weren't getting paid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

TBH I thought none of them would break the current WR. I thought at the pace they would be going at they would be on target to half way and then start to drift at around 30k and finish up in 2:03+ if they finished at all. So he obviously exceeded that.

I think this does devalue the WR and I hope they just leave it alone now. Presumably they will be allowed to run in London, be interesting to see what shoes they wear at that marathon.

The DL in Doha was still the most interesting athletics on this weekend.

Advertisement