Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The attempt is this Saturday, anyone think they will do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ooter

Anyone know what time this is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I'll be checking the news regularly! I'm really not sure if they will or not. There's so many variables that could affect the outcome.

ooter wrote: »

It's 5.30am local time so 4.30am here. Will be streamed on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

You would be better off doing the Pieta House darkness into light walk at that hour if the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

ooter wrote: »

Details here

Personally I hope they smash it and the obsession with sub 2 fades a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Arrgh too many time zones listed there confused me. Think that means it is at 6:45 am on Saturday? Will try to watch it on the way to parkrun then I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

robinph wrote: »
    Arrgh too many time zones listed there confused me. Think that means it is at 6:45 am on Saturday? Will try to watch it on the way to parkrun then I think.

4:45am here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

sideswipe wrote: »
    Details here

Personally I hope they smash it and the obsession with sub 2 fades a bit.

Would prefer if they did it in a non artificial situation without dodgy shoes. Even if they do it, people will still be waiting for it to be done proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ooter

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It's 5.30am local time so 4.30am here. Will be streamed on youtube.

Swerve.
    I'll check to see what happened when I get up tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

adrian522 wrote: »
    4:45am here.

I did say I was confused. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

He'll run 2:04. Slower than his PB because he'll go chasing this unrealistic mark and blow up badly in the latter stages, and with the chances of Sub 2 gone there'll be less incentive to dig in, particularly with no supporters to lift the spirits. I predict the whole thing to fall flat on it's face.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd say he'll DNF once he starts to slow (if that is what happens) Not much point in finishing if you are going to be outside current WR.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

It will be a DNF/DNS etc etc , it will rumble on for a few weeks, they will announce that they are waiting for cooler autumnal weather, they will go through the motions again in the autumn followed by the same ****e. They will make big announcements that THEY ARE SO SO SO CLOSE to doing this followed up by a huge morketing campaign for a €150 shoe (that bares little with the actual shoe!).

http://www.runnersworld.com/2-hour-marathon/sub-2-hour-marathon-experts-say-only-one-guy-has-a-chance

Runners World have asked some experts their views, 3 think it will be achieved and they all think it will be Kipchoge.

There seems to be no faith at all in Tadese, majority think he either won't break the current world record or will not finish.

There is no reason for them to go off at a nuts pace though like they would in a city marathon where you have uneven course, weather and pacemakers who are just guessing as to how fast exactly they are going etc. For this they just need to stay tucked in behind the pacemakers who are tucked in behind a car which is driving at exactly the right speed. They won't be getting over excited and heading off too fast in the early stages, the pacemakers will be there sheltering them for the duration, they don't have to worry about tripping over people and grabbing drinks.

Whilst they might not make the finish on time, there is no reason to be going off too fast at the start and blowing up early because of that. It's not a race (until the last 100m if anyone else is still there).

How far should they be able to get at sub 2hr pace? 30km, 35km, 40km?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    http://www.runnersworld.com/2-hour-marathon/sub-2-hour-marathon-experts-say-only-one-guy-has-a-chance

Runners World have asked some experts their views, 3 think it will be achieved and they all think it will be Kipchoge.

There seems to be no faith at all in Tadese, majority think he either won't break the current world record or will not finish.

One of the quotes from that doesn't make sense to me:
    “Long-term, chasing times is an endeavor of diminishing returns, and I think the sport ultimately lives or dies based on racing and rivalries. So if these curated-conditions attempts make normal races feel slow and less interesting, I think, long-term, that’s a potential negative.”
    I'd have thought that this potentially makes the sport more interesting and about racing and rivalries. If they do break the 2hr mark then whilst it's not an official world record, it will take away some of the prestige of other events trying to get runners to break a world record as people will just consider a 2:02:?? irrelevant as 1:59 has been run already. That would mean that the races will have to be setup as races to get interest, not as time trials, and that can only be good for the sport.

You can still have the world records, but they shouldn't be the primary reason for the race happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think they will go sub 2 providing conditions are right. So much investment gone into this and its so well thought out from the alternating pacers, to the group structure and shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I dunno, can't see it happening just yet. Besides the fact that it's a massive (and cheap) PR stunt and barely legal - shoes, car, pacers - just think we need another few years to get to sub 2 and more than a few years to get to sub 2 in a real race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Got 5/1 on none of them Running under WR of 2:02:57. Ludicrous odds. Had been 10/1 but didn't react quickly enough.

4/6 on one of the 3 of them DNF-ing is silly too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Perfect timing for anyone who did the Darkness into Light event earlier on :) Must admit I'm fascinated to watch it, would have gotten up regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I'm up, watching. Kipchoge looks so relaxed. Desisa keeps dropping back a little. Tadesa showing the effort.

The pacing transitions are really smooth. I'm also fascinated by how closely they are running the line.

More like Breaking 1 (for a Half)

For 1 of 3 and by a second or two.

I feel bad for the athletes but I'm hating the Twitter/Nike bull crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

This comment is good!
    kipchoge looks like hes out for a jog in the park and tedisa looks like hes about to pass out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

He doesn't look like he's even changed stride or facial expression at any point. It looks like they were always expecting it to be Kipchoge to do it.

"The shoes feel like wheels". Yeah, they get two of the fastest half guys on the planet to a 60+ min Half. Hmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ferocious pace, best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

2:00:24 So close..:(

Being ahead of pace early on (if unplanned) must have hurt them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Am I the only one delighted that they didn't succeed.

Suck it up , Nike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jaysis, he looks as fresh after that

Advertisement