Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pbbuster

bazza1 wrote: »
    Did it on day one :) Passport out to me in four days!

Wow! I had no idea you could renew online, soooo handy, you'd think they would advertise it more though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They had a small bit of publicity a few weeks ago, I figure that they may want a bit of a soft launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I used it on a Wednesday evening and had my passport delivered the following Tuesday with the passport card arriving another two days later.

It's brilliant and I didn't have to step outside the door! No getting pictures taken or having to go to the Garda station and then the Post Office etc.

nc6000 wrote: »
    I used it on a Wednesday evening and had my passport delivered the following Tuesday with the passport card arriving another two days later.

It's brilliant and I didn't have to step outside the door! No getting pictures taken or having to go to the Garda station and then the Post Office etc.

Amazing! It's the way it should be really! It's a pain going to Garda etc, will still have to with kids passport though! Btw is it worth getting the card?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Knowing someone who works in the IT Sector in the state, there's generally a lot of good stuff happening with online Government services at the moment, the idea is going to be eventually to be able to do pretty much everything online through a single login and never have to go into an office.

They've recently launched a new suite of Revenue and Social Welfare services as well:
    https://www.mygovid.ie/en-IE/AvailableServices

The passport service is going to be integrated into that as well at some point, but the current online service is really very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Pbbuster wrote: »
    Amazing! It's the way it should be really! It's a pain going to Garda etc, will still have to with kids passport though! Btw is it worth getting the card?

I'm not sure yet about the card. I guess it's handy to have as a credit card sized ID to fit into a wallet but I don't know if it is much use on its own.

It was only an extra €25 when renewing online rather than the usual €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nc6000 wrote: »
    I'm not sure yet about the card. I guess it's handy to have as a credit card sized ID to fit into a wallet but I don't know if it is much use on its own.

It was only an extra €25 when renewing online rather than the usual €35.
    it allows you to travel all over europe without need for that cumsy traditional paper book yoke

personally I'd be happy to disperse with the book altogether in favour of the card.
    My last passport didnt have a single stamp in the entire 10 years of its validity and I'd have travelled on average at least once every 6 weeks around europe.

There was teething issues at the beginning with passport checkers getting confused that Ireland finally got an ID card type thingie after being told for decades that all of Europe has ID except those crazy windswept rebels in the UK and Ireland that just wanna do everything different from the rest for no logical reason, but this is getting rarer as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    Yes, used them at Malaga last September. Absolutely no issues. Minibus collects you from arrivals and takes you to the office about 3 minutes away. Checked the car thoroughly with me before I took it and same on return.
    I had car hire excess policy that I got here for €49 for a year, well worth it for peace of mind. I opted for their fair fuel option, which is collect it full, return it full, downside was a €800 block on my credit card, which was reinstated within 24 hours of returning the car as I had no issues. They do check it quite thoroughly though, so beware. If you see ANY marks on the car when you collect it, take a picture and get them to document it before you leave.
    Happy hols

Okay, sounds pretty much like any other then. I'm generally careful and photo everything then get them to sign so should hopefully be okay but I've excess insurance also just in case.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

The card would be a nice tool....if not for the stupid fact that you have to get the main passport first.

The other thing that bothers me is I see now you need the new Public Services card before you can get a passport, but you need either a passport or a drivers license to get a Public Services card.
    So basically if you don't have a drivers licence..you can't get a passport anymore which is really strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The principal motivation for the card was to reduce the number of lost passports thanks to young people bringing them on nights out to prove their age. For the rest of us, it's very useful when flying to the UK with Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    T
    The other thing that bothers me is I see now you need the new Public Services card before you can get a passport, but you need either a passport or a drivers license to get a Public Services card.
    So basically if you don't have a drivers licence..you can't get a passport anymore which is really strange.

Not true.

"If you are an Irish or UK citizen and do not have a Passport or Driving licence as identification, you may still be issued with a PSC. When you attend you will have an in-depth interview and additional information gathered during this interview will be verified in order to confirm your identity."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Does the online renewal work for expats?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

murphaph wrote: »
    Does the online renewal work for expats?

No; for not it's home residents only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No; for not it's home residents only.
    thats wrong, it also works when applying from abroad
    And why shouldnt it?
    If you are renewing a tamperproof biometric passport originally issued from the main passport office in Dublin (the embassys stopped issuing full passports over 10 years ago meaning all renewals abroad come from Dublin) then what difference is it if you're based in Donnybrook or Dubai ?

Only restriction for online seems to be:

you are over 18

you have had a passport in the past.

your current passport has not been expired more than 5 years

your current passport has less than 12 months validity

your name has not changed

your current passport number is two letters followed by 7 digits. The first letter must be P or L. (I'm guessing these are the standard electronic passports that have been issued for many years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

2 weeks ago I submitted a family application for my sons renewal and my daughters first passport. I used passport express and took their 10-15 day processing guideline as accurate (Yes, I must have been living under a rock not to have heard the implications of brexit on the passport office. I only realised the delay the day I was due to post them so I included an apology letter and a copy of the flights. The passport tracker is giving just over 5 weeks processing and the estimated delivery date is the day after we are due to go on holidays. Is there anything at all I can do now to expedite things?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

donalh087 wrote: »
    I normally think €25 a day is good enough.

I just rented a car today in Italy for 10 days, later this month. I am sick of the low cost shysters so said I would try the main stream guys. Boy, have the cheap operators put manners on them. I went with Hertz and got a C-Max for 10 days for €196.

As importantly for me, the deposit is only €250. Last time I was caught for nearly €2,000 deposit. I know I got it back but it was a shock

hi, would this 25 euro include insurance etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Not sure if I'm applying for a PSC card right, but do I actually need to visit the social welfare office to get one? I'm on an appointment booking section now.

edit: got a verification failure. "An initial check of the information we have on file for you has identified an issue that requires you to call into a DSP Local Office." I wonder why I failed verification.

Not sure if I'm applying for a PSC card right, but do I actually need to visit the social welfare office to get one? I'm on an appointment booking section now.

edit: got a verification failure. "An initial check of the information we have on file for you has identified an issue that requires you to call into a DSP Local Office." I wonder why I failed verification.

I have Psc card already but can't use the mygivId services, also says I have to call into dsp office!!!! 😡

• Advertisement

Probably because they don't have your id verified or your photo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

yellow hen wrote: »
    2 weeks ago I submitted a family application for my sons renewal and my daughters first passport. I used passport express and took their 10-15 day processing guideline as accurate (Yes, I must have been living under a rock not to have heard the implications of brexit on the passport office. I only realised the delay the day I was due to post them so I included an apology letter and a copy of the flights. The passport tracker is giving just over 5 weeks processing and the estimated delivery date is the day after we are due to go on holidays. Is there anything at all I can do now to expedite things?

I was in similar situation, renewal for my 3 year old's passport. Submitted application with copy of flight details about 4 weeks ago. Passport tracking estimated it to be ready on 9th May but it arrived today, about 3 working days early. So you might be okay but you have a first and renewal application so could well be different?

They should be putting the "Brexit passports" in a lower priority queue. Brexit passport people have a UK passport to fall back on while Irish born people trying to renew their passports for travel this summer generally have no other option and are being screwed by this because the passport office can't meet its 10 day service level for passport express.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Does anyone have experience with baby photos for passports? More specifically I brought my 4 month old to the chemist yesterday and we weren't able to get a photo with her mouth fully closed! Her mouth is open maybe about half the width of a full smile in the closest photo to ok. The chemist said they're more lenient with baby pictures and that it should be fine but I'm afraid we'll send it and have it returned. Going on holidays in the summer and as it stands have time to get the passport with not too much rush but if it's returned we'd be under pressure for it.

sillysocks wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience with baby photos for passports? More specifically I brought my 4 month old to the chemist yesterday and we weren't able to get a photo with her mouth fully closed! Her mouth is open maybe about half the width of a full smile in the closest photo to ok. The chemist said they're more lenient with baby pictures and that it should be fine but I'm afraid we'll send it and have it returned. Going on holidays in the summer and as it stands have time to get the passport with not too much rush but if it's returned we'd be under pressure for it.

I'd say it will be fine. By the time the passport is renewed it will look like a completely different child anyway.

For future reference, the best option for kids is to take your own photo with a decent smart phone and size it using this free site: https://www.epassportphoto.com/49/Free/Ireland/Passport/step1

The above link allows you to check and resize your photo and creates a sheet of 6 passport size photos which you can print out on photo paper at the kiosks they have in pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I probably should have done that - my local chemist said they could print it if I just took the photo and put it on a memory stick, but then another chemist when I was there had a mat out for babies to lie on for photos so thought that'd be easier. Hopefully it'll be ok!

Does anyone know if they send back an application does it just go straight to the back of the queue when you send back in new information?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Can anyone tell me if your old passport expires when you apply or when you get your new passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Can anyone tell me if your old passport expires when you apply or when you get your new passport?

When the new one is issued the old passport is cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    They should be putting the "Brexit passports" in a lower priority queue. Brexit passport people have a UK passport to fall back on while Irish born people trying to renew their passports for travel this summer generally have no other option and are being screwed by this because the passport office can't meet its 10 day service level for passport express.

Thankfully the Irish consitution doesn't agree with you. All Irish citizens are equal. An Irish citizen who is also the citizen of another country isn't given a lower priority when apply for a passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

sillysocks wrote: »

There is an understandable level of leniency with baby photos. Wouldnt worry about it. I've never seen baby photos rejected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement