Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

Hi guys, possibly the wrong forum but I'll try it here anyway (feel free to move if in the wrong forum)

Basically, I am out travelling in New Zealand ATM and am flying home in 6 weeks. From carrying my passport around for id purposes the passport has since got bent in the middle of the spine.

The passport is fine as in the plastic isn't bent or broken and you can still clearly see everything on it - it is just bent at the spine.

Will airports still accept it if it is bent like this? What are the levels of damage that would stop an airport or airline from taking a passport?

Also - out of curiosity if I am leaving a country and going back to the country of origin will customs etc be as strict as they would be going into a country?

Thanks
    ET

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

cdsb46 wrote: »
    Photo guidelines can be found here https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/passportexpressphotoguidelines/

Yes the Birth Cert is returned, make sure also to include one parent's birth cert or Irish Passport with the application also

Thanks. There isnt a place I can upload and test the photo is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

McSween wrote: »
    Thanks. There isnt a place I can upload and test the photo is there?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

cdsb46 wrote: »
    Checks to make sure application is correct are one of the final process

Strange logic.

Surely doing these checks first would be a better idea? Then they could get back to people early to tell them something needs fixed?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Strange logic.

Surely doing these checks first would be a better idea? Then they could get back to people early to tell them something needs fixed?

They do at the counter if you make an appointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Yes. Once your passport is still machine readable and the plastic portion isn't detached in any way, it'll be fine.

As for the Customs post in your country of origin on return, you should probably assume that they are as strict. Certainly, unless you clear customs somewhere else in the EU then you must use the Red or Green channel rather than the blue.

fxotoole wrote: »
    They do at the counter if you make an appointment

Thats great, but I am sure they get enough postal applications to carry out my suggestion too?

Thats great, but I am sure they get enough postal applications to carry out my suggestion too?

If they did it for postal applications, they'd get bogged down, and turnaround times would be worse. The problem is that passport applications (apart from simple renewals) are too complex to be given a quick cursory glance so that can say "yay" or "nay". They need to get the balance right in terms of processing applications quickly and processing them correctly.

If they did it for postal applications, they'd get bogged down, and turnaround times would be worse. The problem is that passport applications (apart from simple renewals) are too complex to be given a quick cursory glance so that can say "yay" or "nay". They need to get the balance right in terms of processing applications quickly and processing them correctly.

But they are carrying out checks that need to be done anyway, so its not extra work is it? Perhaps even just do the main ones, like are the photos acceptable and is it signed etc?

Do those checks first, but then let passport join queue to be processed. Then when it comes round to its turn, you know its been given the once over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Hey, dunno if this is the place to ask this but what the hell.

I moved house last year and my passport 'defo' came with me but for the life of me cannot locate it despite countless searches. To complicate things it has since expired. What is the procedure here, is it just go to Gaurds to get the APPS1 form and say it is lost and then proceed with a new application or do I have to inform the Department of Foreign affairs? No panic yet but it would be nice to have the option of travelling again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Just apply for one online.

Hey, dunno if this is the place to ask this but what the hell.

I moved house last year and my passport 'defo' came with me but for the life of me cannot locate it despite countless searches. To complicate things it has since expired. What is the procedure here, is it just go to Gaurds to get the APPS1 form and say it is lost and then proceed with a new application or do I have to inform the Department of Foreign affairs? No panic yet but it would be nice to have the option of travelling again

Apply online for a renewal. Much quicker and simpler than having to go to the guards, get all your paperwork from scratch, etc, etc. Also turnaround times are quicker for online renewals.

But they are carrying out checks that need to be done anyway, so its not extra work is it? Perhaps even just do the main ones, like are the photos acceptable and is it signed etc?

Do those checks first, but then let passport join queue to be processed. Then when it comes round to its turn, you know its been given the once over?

That's a fair point, they could do minimal checks.

However I think the focus is to try to get people to make appointments rather than using passport express as it's less risky and passports are more likely to issue on time.

Apply online for a renewal. Much quicker and simpler than having to go to the guards, get all your paperwork from scratch, etc, etc. Also turnaround times are quicker for online renewals.

Thanks for the information all, I appreciate it.

Edit

Just went online there to do it and one of the 'requirements' needed before we proceed is 'your current passport book'. I don't have this unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks for the information all, I appreciate it.

Edit

Just went online there to do it and one of the 'requirements' needed before we proceed is 'your current passport book'. I don't have this unfortunately.

You can select the lost/stolen passport option

athtrasna wrote: »
    You can select the lost/stolen passport option

Jeez I feel foolish, never even see that choice. Thanks, will sort the digital photo out tonight and hopefully start the process this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Do you get a 10 year passport that way or is there still a punishment for the loss?

I just renewed mine after losing my last one. No issues at all, no questions or anything. New one took about 2-3 weeks after applying online

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Did anyone try online renewal for lost/stolen passport? Any challenges?

soirish wrote: »
    Did anyone try online renewal for lost/stolen passport? Any challenges?

Yep, no issues at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 xKarma

I'll be flying to Brazil on Tuesday and staying there for 3 months.

I'm just wondering what effect an address has on your passport if it's not changed?

I just moved recently and totally forgot to change it, my flight is on Tuesday and with the bank holiday I'd say it would be near impossible to get it done before then.
    If they type in my PPS number they might see a different address. Would this effect me or stop me from travelling there does anyone know?

I will transit through Paris if it makes any difference, I don't know as it's my first time flying.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yep. No issues, no questions. Applied online and had my passport in 2-3 weeks.

Edit. My passport had expired in 2015 and was lost just before that. I never reported it but maybe the fact that it was expired might have made a difference. I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

No need to change your address as it is not on your passport.

Enjoy Brazil!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Unlike other more thorough countries who pick up all sorts of criminals on the run or even parents taking kids out of school during term time, theres no outgoing checks for passengers leaving Ireland so you could be a murderer broken out of prison and they likely wont cop on to it, let alone figure your PPS number is for a different address than your passport.

As for Paris, they cannot access Ireland social security computers so no issue there.
    I dont know if its fixed yet but at one stage even the Irish tax office had no access to the social security records , or vice versa, to tackle tens if not hundreds of millions of euro of social welfare fraud, so youre really overthinking non existant problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I'm using the online tracker and sent the passports early April but the tracker just states processing. No idea about stage they're at or if there are any problems with the application . Is this normal and if so what is the point of a tracking system that gives no information? And this should be explained better on the site.

screamer wrote: »
    I'm using the online tracker and sent the passports early April but the tracker just states processing. No idea about stage they're at or if there are any problems with the application . Is this normal and if so what is the point of a tracking system that gives no information? And this should be explained better on the site.

It does change so the state they're at is "processing "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Thanks for that but as I said it needs to be explained better sure every stage has processing..... How about they explain the stages and what happens in each.... It's a really badly explained and badly thought out tracker to be fair in fact I'll contact them with my suggestions for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pbbuster

I see you can now renew your passport online? Has anyone used this service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Did it on day one :) Passport out to me in four days!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement