Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jaguar240

Hi Folks

I'm looking at booking a car for our trip to Portugal in June. We are flying into Faro and I was looking through messages here re experiences that people had. While some are a good few years old, some said ever back then to stay away from Air Auto & Gold Car Rentals. In one of the messages here someone said to try Hamills in Mullingar, so I did earlier. The chap there offered me a 1.4 car from Guerins.
    I saw several messages on Trip Advisor telling of bad experiences that they had with Guerin's and advising to stay away.

If you don't take their "Excess Insurance" they put a hold of €2500 on the creditcard. This seems very high to me as from past experiences the hold might only be €500.
    Hamills wanted to sell their own "Excess Insurance" which would cost €100 for the 10 days. Blue Insurance are much cheaper.

Just wondering what recent experiences other people had with Car Rental in Faro, with Guerin's & with Hamills.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Economy - brilliant, 3rd year running now, no hassles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Does this seem like good value?

18 days
    Zero excess
    Super Collision waiver damage
    2 car seats
    Open driving
    AUTOMATIC
    Peugeot 308 station wagon diesel

PRICE = 600 Euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

18 days
    Zero excess
    2 car seats
    Open driving
    AUTOMATIC

PRICE = 600 Euro

try drive4fun.info
    I found them good on price and very responsive.

• Advertisement

try drive4fun.info

I did and they were more expensive.

I did and they were more expensive.

then 600 is a good price:D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

18 days
    Zero excess
    2 car seats
    Open driving
    AUTOMATIC

PRICE = 600 Euro
    Seems a little excessive to me, compare dto what I hav epaid in the past for similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

try drive4fun.info
    I did and I found them more expensive

I'm very surprised by that. Are you sure you were comparing like with like?

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    Seems a little excessive to me, compare dto what I hav epaid in the past for similar.

Oh ok. What would be an ok price do you think?

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    I'm very surprised by that. Are you sure you were comparing like with like?

Yeah. I am. This is for an ***automatic*** so they command a bit of a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Still can't find any value in Italy (Treviso) - any ideas people?

devil-80 wrote: »
    HI,
    Where rent car in Faro and what is the limit for cigarettes which you can bring to Ireland from Portugal legally.

As many as you like( within a reasonable limit) as long as they are the same brand and for personal use and you have a receipt. Do not try to conceal them in any way shape or form.

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Still can't find any value in Italy (Treviso) - any ideas people?

Perhaps there isn't any available!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

They've disabled their phones, stating due to the volumes of calls they're not offering phone assistance.

Its says to use twitter or their online help. Online help are for the application process. No one responds on twitter, to tweets or direct messages.

There's a poor lad who's been tweeting them for a week straight with no response. He's had an application in with them since the 31st of March.

Whole thing is a sham, absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭bonjurkes

We are looking to rent a car with my driver friend with his non-Irish driver license. He is under 25 (24 something) and he has driver license for 5 years.

The problem is, probably because of insurance, most of the rental companies doesn't offer renting for under 25. I found sixt and flizzr (same company actually) that they offer rental for extra daily price. (extra 38 euro per day)

But then they are not offering their damage protection "Top Cover and Super Top Cover TDW" packages. And we are willing to pay for those protection as we don't want to get ripped by rental company.

If there is any car rental company that you used for under 25 yo, it would be great if you can share some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Hi,

I'm heading over to Lisbon shortly and plan to rent a car. Has anyone been over that direction and rented a car?

I'm wondering if anyone would recommend particular rental companies or websites. Or are there any that should be avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

Is there a url that I can upload a picture of my newborn to see if it matches requirements. I cannot see it on the aite

Also, will they return her birth certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Has anyone any experience with carhire.ie? They're coming in about half the price as the rest of the rental companies at Dublin airport but seem to be legitimate. Have they a heap of hidden charges waiting to sting the unsuspecting customer with upon collection?

thejaguar wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm heading over to Lisbon shortly and plan to rent a car. Has anyone been over that direction and rented a car?

I'm wondering if anyone would recommend particular rental companies or websites. Or are there any that should be avoided?

I normally go through http://www.autoeurope.ie/ when booking for Lisbon.

If you want ny info on driving in Lisobon and where to go/park etc send me a pm. I'm a regular visitor to the city over the last 15 years.

• Advertisement

Yes, used them at Malaga last September. Absolutely no issues. Minibus collects you from arrivals and takes you to the office about 3 minutes away. Checked the car thoroughly with me before I took it and same on return.
    I had car hire excess policy that I got here for €49 for a year, well worth it for peace of mind. I opted for their fair fuel option, which is collect it full, return it full, downside was a €800 block on my credit card, which was reinstated within 24 hours of returning the car as I had no issues. They do check it quite thoroughly though, so beware. If you see ANY marks on the car when you collect it, take a picture and get them to document it before you leave.
    Happy hols

Has anyone any experience with carhire.ie? They're coming in about half the price as the rest of the rental companies at Dublin airport but seem to be legitimate. Have they a heap of hidden charges waiting to sting the unsuspecting customer with upon collection?

Yes, used them at Malaga last September. Absolutely no issues. Minibus collects you from arrivals and takes you to the office about 3 minutes away. Checked the car thoroughly with me before I took it and same on return.
    I had car hire excess policy that I got here for €49 for a year, well worth it for peace of mind. I opted for their fair fuel option, which is collect it full, return it full, downside was a €800 block on my credit card, which was reinstated within 24 hours of returning the car as I had no issues. They do check it quite thoroughly though, so beware. If you see ANY marks on the car when you collect it, take a picture and get them to document it before you leave.
    Happy hols

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kieran101

Hi! I'm planning on taking 3 weeks out to rent a cheap campervan and travel (either up or down) the west coast of Portugal, mainly for surfing, exploring, and getting some well needed sun! I've been thinking of buying my own van to do this for months now but I've decided to hold off and go rent one first and see if its for me or not!

Hoping to get some tips on here as to when is good time to go, places to see/avoid! What to bring! Perhaps some of you have or know others who have done something similar? Van life etc. There are plenty of other threads on where to find good surf spots so I won't repeat that question! Its more the solo driving up/down the coast that I'm asking about! Good spots to "free camp" in the van etc.

I know its a very generic thing to ask but I'm not looking for anything fancy..my interests are surfing, music, outdoors, good food, and of course meeting people and having the craic! Although I don't speak any portuguese, all part of the fun though!

I was thinking I might even go as far as France and drive up or down from there, I speak fluent French and have been meaning to check out hossegor, but I'm not sure how that would work with the van rental companies crossing borders etc. or how long it might take even, I don't want to be rushing so maybe it's best to stick with Portugal for now. As for the van there are plenty of cheap camper rentals down there and you can pick/drop off at different spots eg. Faro-Porto or vice versa. So van wise theres no problem! I'm looking at something like this

Time wise would 3 weeks be enough to fully travel and take in the west coast? I'm thinking late September or October would be a good time to go as August is high season and van rental is pretty high around this time, also the beaches will be packed!

Does anyone know if there are any big surf competitions or events that might be taking place, like Nazare or similar, it could help me plan a rough route to go by!

Another thing i was wondering was whether to bring my own boards and wetsuit? The surf van companies offer these but 1) I save money bringing my own 2) I'm used to surfing my own one

Also thinking about bringing my acoustic guitar, think Ryanair charge 50 quid for this.

My budget is pretty flexible, Ryanair flights are about 150 for Sep, and even cheaper for Oct (around 100e). I'd be sleeping and eating out of the van, only expenses are really food, drink and fuel! Fuel and the van rental being the biggest!

Would love to hear from others who have done this kind of thing!
    Thanks!
    Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

Oh ok. What would be an ok price do you think?

I normally think €25 a day is good enough.

I just rented a car today in Italy for 10 days, later this month. I am sick of the low cost shysters so said I would try the main stream guys. Boy, have the cheap operators put manners on them. I went with Hertz and got a C-Max for 10 days for €196.

As importantly for me, the deposit is only €250. Last time I was caught for nearly €2,000 deposit. I know I got it back but it was a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

Hi does anyone know of any companies who will do car hire in France with debit card - we've never had a problem in Spain but am striving for France....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

This query isn't looking good😦

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

http://indigocarhire.co.uk/

I used this company a few years ago. no problems. works out a little more expensive with debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

hi, would this 25 euro include insurance etc ?

Yes.

Good evening,

I just booked with Auto Europe online, got an Astra or similar for €72.02 for 10 days at Barcelona airport in early June. Full to full basis for fuel and I took the option of CDW. I was unsure that €72 was the 'real' final price, so I called their toll-free number. I spoke to two different reps and they both told me the same thing. That was the final price and the only addition would be a €300 block on my credit card to cover fuel if I didn't return it full or any speeding/parking fines that may be incurred. This €300, obviously, would be reimbursed.
    I googled reviews about the company and apart from people complaining about the queue at the airport desk, it was mainly positive.

• Advertisement

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    Good evening,

I just booked with Auto Europe online, got an Astra or similar for €72.02 for 10 days at Barcelona airport in early June. Full to full basis for fuel and I took the option of CDW. I was unsure that €72 was the 'real' final price, so I called their toll-free number. I spoke to two different reps and they both told me the same thing. That was the final price and the only addition would be a €300 block on my credit card to cover fuel if I didn't return it full or any speeding/parking fines that may be incurred. This €300, obviously, would be reimbursed.
    I googled reviews about the company and apart from people complaining about the queue at the airport desk, it was mainly positive.

Christ that's cheap.

I got a Peugeot 308 auto in Portugal at end of June, start of July for 18 days with super collidionnwaiver damage and it's costing me 600 Euro. !!!! Am I getting fleeced or what? I may cancel the bloody thing.

Advertisement