Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did you do it paper application or online application?

Paper application.
    Mine was a renewal, kids are all new.

Tracking was spot on. They told me it would be 8th may, it was.

Apologies everyone, typo!

I applied 30 March, not April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

NIMAN wrote: »
    Paper application.
    Mine was a renewal, kids are all new.

Tracking was spot on. They told me it would be 8th may, it was.

Sorry i dont get this. How on earth could thet give you a date within 1.5 weeks when the guideline for new passports is 5 weeks? Great for you but their queueing sustem is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Never ceases to amaze me how applicants get worked up over the turnaround times.

APPLY ON TIME. There are annual reminders from the Passport Office to apply in the off season yet every year same level of whinging from applicants.

Also, as mentioned, there is a reminder email service 3 months out.

When some Embassies are taking in applications where more than half of the passport forms are incorrectly filled out it proves the futility of trying to get them to actually read.

I think its so Irish to expect somebody else to take responsibility and to pawn off all rational thinking to the nearest TD.

Talk to anybody who works in the Passport Office or any Embassy/ Consulate who has to deal with the public and you would weep for the future at the level of diabolically stupid questions.

Rant over:D

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Never ceases to amaze me how applicants get worked up over the turnaround times.

APPLY ON TIME. There are annual reminders from the Passport Office to apply in the off season yet every year same level of whinging from applicants.

Also, as mentioned, there is a reminder email service 3 months out.

When some Embassies are taking in applications where more than half of the passport forms are incorrectly filled out it proves the futility of trying to get them to actually read.

I think its so Irish to expect somebody else to take responsibility and to pawn off all rational thinking to the nearest TD.

Talk to anybody who works in the Passport Office or any Embassy/ Consulate who has to deal with the public and you would weep for the future at the level of diabolically stupid questions.

Rant over:D

Hope you didnt trip off your pedestal climbing down? I and most of the last few posters have actually applied in time (based on the timelines supplied by the passport office). Had I known the impact of brexit beforehand (clearly I missed those passport office reminders, which are advertised where by the way?), I would have applied sooner. I think its perfectly acceptable to be annoyed that the passports seem to be processed and returned in a bit of a randomized manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just to warn folks applying from abroad for the online renewal, the standard (non courier) registered post may be far from speedy. My passport book was sent on May 2nd, it's now May 11th and still no sign of it in Germany, which is not exactly the other end of the world.
    In comparison, if you post using normal post it gets there in no time. I posted a letter home from Germany on Monday evening just before 6pm with just a standard stamp on it and it was there with my parents on Wednesday morning in the deepest north midlands! (its the same the other way too, except at christmas!)

I can only guess that the extra manual handing and security, possibly even police / customs checks, really gets in the way of a speedy delivery when the packet isnt specifically sent via express post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hope you didnt trip off your pedestal climbing down? I and most of the last few posters have actually applied in time (based on the timelines supplied by the passport office). Had I known the impact of brexit beforehand (clearly I missed those passport office reminders, which are advertised where by the way?), I would have applied sooner. I think its perfectly acceptable to be annoyed that the passports seem to be processed and returned in a bit of a randomized manner.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

As stated in my last post, I applied 2 months ago. The current turn around is on average 16 days through passport express.

It has now been 38 working days since I applied and not even an update on the passport tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Phillyf9

Hi all,I'm hoping someone might be able to answer a question for me.So I've had my passport for about 18 months and used it a few times without problem but recently I tried using it for age verification and it was brought to my attention that my surname was spelled differently (one letter stupidly changed)

I'm just wondering if this will likely be a problem I need to get rectified and if so will I be liable for any cost to amend it?

Once your passport tracker status moves to 'being processed' how long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scottie2

Once your passport tracker status moves to 'being processed' how long did it take?

My first time application for baby was received 18th April. Moved to processing about 3 days later, then printing 9th May. Dispatched in Cork 11th May with an post tracker showing received by an post in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 scottie2

Glebee wrote: »
    There does not seem to be any logic to the dates given by passport office for applications submitted and expected date. Are the passport office pulling the applications out of a hat. My applications for a renewel and a new passport were lodged with passport express on the 4th of april and i received them yesterday. How can people who have lodged before me not have received yet...

Are you in Munster? Was wondering if Cork.office has a quicker turnaround time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

No pedestal just common sense. The reminder is available by a simple search:

https://www.eforms.gov.ie/en/reminder/passport/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Heading to Franc end of June circa 24 till july 5th.
    2 of the kids passports expire the end of july circa 25th...am i ok for them to travel with these passports ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

hurler32 wrote: »
    2 of the kids passports expire the end of july circa 25th...am i ok for them to travel with these passports ??

Yes

NIMAN wrote: »
    Apologies everyone, typo!

I applied 30 March, not April.

.... and the 3 x kids passports arrived yesterday, 11th May, a day after mine.

They were received 30 March, dispatched 10th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

hurler32 wrote: »

That's perfectly ok to do, you won't have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

Need to renew my passport - would everyone recommend the online route instead of passport express?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Boognish wrote: »
    Need to renew my passport - would everyone recommend the online route instead of passport express?

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Boognish wrote: »
    is this a wind up ?

Can you tell us how taking a photo yourself at home and doing a renewal online in 10 minutes could possibly be worse than :
    - getting form from somewhere to fill in manually
    - go get passport size photos done
    - filling out form and finding time to get form and photos signed at a garda station (if even theres one open anywhere near you)
    - going to post office during working hours to stand in queue to send off the paperwork .
    AND THEN (after spending maybe a week or more getting your stuff together) the wait for passport express is weeks longer than the online procedure

am I missing something ? Why is this even a question ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

is this a wind up ?

Can you tell us how taking a photo yourself at home and doing a renewal online in 10 minutes could possibly be worse than :
    - getting form from somewhere to fill in manually
    - go get passport size photos done
    - filling out form and finding time to get form and photos signed at a garda station (if even theres one open anywhere near you)
    - going to post office during working hours to stand in queue to send off the paperwork .
    AND THEN (after spending maybe a week or more getting your stuff together) the wait for passport express is weeks longer than the online procedure

am I missing something ? Why is this even a question ?

So that means yes then

• Registered Users Posts: 3 12345432100

Hi all, please help!

I'm really starting to panic. I have flights booked to Spain on 25/05/17 and I be lost my passport, the earliest appointment I can get is Thursday 18/05/17 is there any possible way I'll be able to get a new passport in time? P.s. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but about 4 years ago I lost a passport and had to get it replaced also.

Thanks in advance,
    Sean

Hi all, please help!

I'm really starting to panic. I have flights booked to Spain on 25/05/17 and I be lost my passport, the earliest appointment I can get is Thursday 18/05/17 is there any possible way I'll be able to get a new passport in time? P.s. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but about 4 years ago I lost a passport and had to get it replaced also.

Thanks in advance,
    Sean

Renew online now. Works for lost passports

athtrasna wrote: »
    Renew online now. Works for lost passports

Are you sure it would be back in time?

Are you sure it would be back in time?

Officially 2 week turnaround but I know people who've had their passports in even less time than that

athtrasna wrote: »
    Officially 2 week turnaround but I know people who've had their passports in even less time than that

Officially 2 weeks even for lost passports? Because I heard that took longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I applied online on the 10/4, it was dispatched on the 19/4. I had lost my previous passport and had no issues, however this is your second lost passport and I'm pretty sure there's a warning that they may have to investigate passports. Anyway, I'd apply now if you're to have any hope

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Hi all, my passport expires in January and I'm off on a J1 this summer but was told 6 month thing doesn't apply to Ireland? Anyways I had applied for a passport online and paid but got email back twice saying photos weren't acceptable even though the second time they were done in a chemist who said they're good. So I eventually gave up on it because it was taking so long and I had my visa interview in the American embassy and got the old passport stamped. Just wondering is my passport still valid for travel?
    Also I saw somewhere travellers on visa waiver program needed an electronic passport is this true because mine is one from before then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Hi all, my passport expires in January and I'm off on a J1 this summer but was told 6 month thing doesn't apply to Ireland? Anyways I had applied for a passport online and paid but got email back twice saying photos weren't acceptable even though the second time they were done in a chemist who said they're good. So I eventually gave up on it because it was taking so long and I had my visa interview in the American embassy and got the old passport stamped. Just wondering is my passport still valid for travel?
    Also I saw somewhere travellers on visa waiver program needed an electronic passport is this true because mine is one from before then?

Not sure what you're asking exactly but it sounds like you're asking whether or not is OK to apply for a J1 visa if you have less than 6 months left on your passport. Surely this is a question for three US embassy.

If your passport has this logo on the front of it, it's an electronic passport:

https://bm.usconsulate.gov/epassport-logo/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement