Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

This post has been deleted.
    maybe you are required to send in the police reports or whatever at a later stage.

Aside from that, the seriousness of loosing a passport in the past used to be that you might be doing it deliberately in order to allow someone else to take your old passport, cut out your photo and slide in theirs. Remember the days when the passport had your photograph basically sellotaped onto the page! Some passports were even written by hand, just to increase the ease of how the things could be modified should you loose it.

With the hard plastic page and chips with biometric details of that photo, it would be nigh on impossible for someone to alter the photo in a passport, and now that finally the passport checks at irish airports are scanning all passports of people arriving, even if you looked a little like the person in the passport, it'd be detected straight away as being a lost passport.
    (the ports are another story, but anyhow)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I dont know how its going to happen but i forsee a huge fraud in the passport office with the online application's. The people who want Irish passports will figure out some way to fiddle the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

maybe you are required to send in the police reports or whatever at a later stage.

Aside from that, the seriousness of loosing a passport in the past used to be that you might be doing it deliberately in order to

With the hard plastic page and chips with biometric details of that photo, it would be nigh on impossible for someone to alter the photo in a passport, and now that finally the passport checks at irish airports are scanning all passports of people arriving, even if you looked a little like the person in the passport, it'd be detected straight away as being a lost passport.
    (the ports are another story, but anyhow)

I came into DAP last Friday morning from the US. At least two large aircraft landed from there along with all other traffic,there was 2 immigration officers. One was just waving people through and one çùnt checking everything and making smart remarks about it. So they'd not checking all passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I received my passport and passport card in the post today. Applied online last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Applied last thursday and received passport today...super service!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭misscpmfan

I lost my passport, but the thing is I don't know when exactly I lost it, it's just whenever I went to look for it, I never found it anywhere. I might be going to the US at some point next year and kinda want to get this out of the way now. I gotta report it to the Guards through a letter, can anyone give tips on what exactly I should write? Also, how do I get one of those Passport wallet cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I received my passport and passport card in the post today. Applied online last Wednesday.
    bazza1 wrote: »
    Applied last thursday and received passport today...super service!

How the hell can they lose an application? can't say it has been a super service for me, They cannot find my online application :confused::confused::confused:
    so frustrating.

How the hell can they lose an application? can't say it has been a super service for me, They cannot find my online application :confused::confused::confused:
    so frustrating.

Absolutely unbelievable, just got an email from passport office saying they never received my application, despite sending me a confirmation email. their solution? here's a refund.
    would anybody know what I should do now? where has every single piece of info i put into their system gone? and do they give a fcuk? appears not, though it is comforting to know that the department of foreign affairs runs a tight ship (me ball ox). :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

misscpmfan wrote: »
    I lost my passport, but the thing is I don't know when exactly I lost it, it's just whenever I went to look for it, I never found it anywhere. I might be going to the US at some point next year and kinda want to get this out of the way now. I gotta report it to the Guards through a letter, can anyone give tips on what exactly I should write? Also, how do I get one of those Passport wallet cards

If you apply online for a renewal, my understanding is you won't have to go to the guards of get any documents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Absolutely unbelievable, just got an email from passport office saying they never received my application, despite sending me a confirmation email. their solution? here's a refund.
    would anybody know what I should do now? where has every single piece of info i put into their system gone? and do they give a fcuk? appears not, though it is comforting to know that the department of foreign affairs runs a tight ship (me ball ox). :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sounds like a technical hiccup, like your application data didn't get saved properly in the database

• Advertisement

fxotoole wrote: »
    Sounds like a technical hiccup, like your application data didn't get saved properly in the database

I hope you are right, seems very strange though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

My child's passport status is :

"ALERT: There is a problem with your application. A letter has been issued to you outlining the reason(s) why".

It's a baby, first passport. We travel on 3rd May. Application was sent in on 3rd March. Where does this leave us? Do we go back to back of queue now, another 25 days? Do they always leave it this long in the process to advise a problem, was expecting it to be issued tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

My child's passport status is :

"ALERT: There is a problem with your application. A letter has been issued to you outlining the reason(s) why".

It's a baby, first passport. We travel on 3rd May. Application was sent in on 3rd March. Where does this leave us? Do we go back to back of queue now, another 25 days? Do they always leave it this long in the process to advise a problem, was expecting it to be issued tomorrow?

Turns out they want a long form birth certificate. Had birth cert included and it has been returned in the envelope.
    Thought they were all standard A4 now??
    We're all born in Ireland so I presume the parents passport for citizenship part isn't applicable?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Turns out they want a long form birth certificate. Had birth cert included and it has been returned in the envelope.
    Thought they were all standard A4 now??
    We're all born in Ireland so I presume the parents passport for citizenship part isn't applicable?

You need to submit a parents birth cert or passport to show that they are Irish citizens to prove your child is entitled to Irish citizenship.

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    You need to submit a parents birth cert or passport to show that they are Irish citizens to prove your child is entitled to Irish citizenship.

Morto. Such a dope. Read application wrong and subsequently read the letter wrong too. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to dum dums here!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Morto. Such a dope. Read application wrong and subsequently read the letter wrong too. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to dum dums here!

We nearly did the same until a friend mentioned it to us! It could be clearer!

fxotoole wrote: »

Finally got the issue resolved, they "did not receive" my application (aka we lost it). so they refunded my card, a nice girl in the passport office contacted me via email and had to re apply but all sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

So I applied for my passport online on Monday evening just gone and it's been posted out today! I'm seriously impressed, thought it would take the two weeks at least given that my estimated issue date was the 19th April

So the passport I got in April 2008 is in its final year. I had such horrendous difficulty with the photos the last time I'm trying to make it less stressful on myself this time by starting early. Back then I went to a pharmacy and, looking back on it, they were hopeless. Rejected multiple times and eventually she took a photo without me wearing my glasses and it was approved.

I've managed to get the apk of the Irish passport card app and was wondering if I do a selfie and the app approves it could I then use that for my online book renewal? Although from what little I've read the app is probably enough to give me a breakdown!

I don't want to go to a pharmacy or one of those ghastly photo booths. However the DFA say they don't accept selfies for some reason. Any advice please?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Can anyone confirm that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Is there any point using the passport express service when the time for new passports is now 24 working days? Will using passport express speed it up or not?

I live alone and anyway I like being independent and doing things myself. I had a quick go at the app and it's not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Does anyone know if the Garda station you get photos signed at etc has to be your local one to the address? Getting a child's one so myself and husband have to be present, will be visiting relations next week and will be easier to get to the Garda station there than at home but not sure if they'd do it for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

sillysocks wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Garda station you get photos signed at etc has to be your local one to the address? Getting a child's one so myself and husband have to be present, will be visiting relations next week and will be easier to get to the Garda station there than at home but not sure if they'd do it for us?
    I went to a non local one once before and they wouldn't help me. Said I'd have to go to my local station. I'd call in advance if i were you to make sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

sillysocks wrote: »

A Garda in a another town would be entitled to refuse to sign it on the grounds that he doesn't know you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

screamer wrote: »
    Is there any point using the passport express service when the time for new passports is now 24 working days? Will using passport express speed it up or not?

Passport express is now passport standard mail application, it's how you apply by post. Standard turnaround times apply.

First passports take longer due to the additional security checks needed. Almost impossible to speed up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement