Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

I know there is a big backlog with passports at the moment but how is the turn around time for the Passport Card?
    Website annoyingly wont load for me so cant check via that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

filmfanb wrote: »
    I know there is a big backlog with passports at the moment but how is the turn around time for the Passport Card?
    Website annoyingly wont load for me so cant check via that.

5 days as of last Friday. Haven't checked the site since

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

timmaii wrote: »
    We're getting a first passport for our infant but the date on the system is after our flight. Will this date be updated as they process things or is that it? Can I cancel the passport Express and call to the office instead?

Hi there I'm just wondering if you got your child's passport? We are flying to a family wedding on 12th and I applied for two first time applicants and a renewal for my daughter as the guy on the fine said there was enough time. The tracking date not only Saud we won't get them I til 25th but my daughters wont come back until the boys are done too!!! My youngest son is 8weeks which is what caused the late application anyway but if the fella on the gone hadn't said there was enough time I would never have posted them as my partner has an appointment next week and we would have done them all through the counter.

To say I'm frantic right now is an I understatment. Apart from it being my brothers wedding this trip has cost e1500 so far before we even have outfits or leave the house to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Sono

Anyone use this flying to Faro? Heading there next week and just want to be on the safe side. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If so, I've never used it but you will of course be fine, Faro is on mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Sono

Sorry I'm after posting in the wrong thread, apologies.

I was asking about the passport card alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Purpletoes wrote: »
    Hi there I'm just wondering if you got your child's passport? We are flying to a family wedding on 12th and I applied for two first time applicants and a renewal for my daughter as the guy on the fine said there was enough time. The tracking date not only Saud we won't get them I til 25th but my daughters wont come back until the boys are done too!!! My youngest son is 8weeks which is what caused the late application anyway but if the fella on the gone hadn't said there was enough time I would never have posted them as my partner has an appointment next week and we would have done them all through the counter.

To say I'm frantic right now is an I understatment. Apart from it being my brothers wedding this trip has cost e1500 so far before we even have outfits or leave the house to go!

They don't/won't expedite first time passports unless it's a genuine emergency. Had a conversation about passports with someone in DFA last week to clarify things for a letter I'm doing re a group travel thing and that's what I was told. First time passport wait is around 23 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

My brother in law has a major problem - His wife booked him a surprise trip away for 26th March this Sunday at the start of the March but she didn't realise his passport had expired.
    He panicked and went got a renewal form on 2 March and sent to Dublin from NI post office express application (now he has learned that if he hadn't done that he would of got one within a few days but can't change it now). He was told turn around time was max 15 days which would have been yesterday but still no passport has arrived.
    To date over the past few weeks he has:
    Tried to phone several times but only got through once and was told that they would note his departure date on file and that whilst his tracker said due to receive date was 29th March the passport office had a target date of 24th March
    He tweeted them 3 times with no response
    He has emailed them 3 times with no response
    He tried to book an appointment for the express service but was rang and told it was cancelled as his application was already in process. He then asked the person on the phone that he was willing to do whatever it took and the man advised him to come down and drop into en queries and that they would be very helpful. He drove 2 hours the next morning to dublin and was told by the advisors that there was nothing that they could do and just pray it comes by friday or that they would ring him to collect if it was ready.
    Considering it is now outside turnaround time is there anything anyone can think of that he can do to get it tomorrow? Even if someone new a number that could be called that would be answered and see if someone can process it.
    Feel so bad for him his wife booked him the holiday because he hadn't been away in years and is just getting over a death in the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

https://passporttracking.dfa.ie/ has been updated but I find it less useful, now it only shows "Your application is being processed".

If they rang him to lift it today where would the office be where he could collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Come on, OP. Don't keep us in suspense here! Did the passport arrive this morning or not??

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Come on, OP. Don't keep us in suspense here! Did the passport arrive this morning or not??

No didn't arrive in the post but would love to know what office to go to see if they have it

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Renewing my passport and I'm going to use Passport express. Do I put my old passport into the envelope at the post office? Or is the old passport number on the form sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Renewing my passport and I'm going to use Passport express. Do I put my old passport into the envelope at the post office? Or is the old passport number on the form sufficient?

You can submit a photocopy of your data page with the application. If you are not in a rush to renew, I would advise to hold off till the end of the month, online renewals will be available by then

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

cdsb46 wrote: »
    If you are not in a rush to renew, I would advise to hold off till the end of the month, online renewals will be available by then
    Where did you read that? There's nothing on passport.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

soirish wrote: »
    Where did you read that? There's nothing on passport.ie.

It was announced by Minister Flanagan about a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Passport card worked in Dubrovnik. Not that it shouldn't have. Passport control gave it a glance and passed it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

having an awful time applying for the card. maybe my face isnt made for a passport card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

On line applications supposed to be available from Thursday (30/3/17) I need a new one so gonna check it out, I'm wondering how the photos work? as in being stamped by the guards, I was under the impression that you can even use your mobile phone for the application. maybe they just check the phone pic with those held on record?. Anybody know?
    The DOFA page says it is still under construction, you would expect the turnaround to be quicker online but I wont be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

athtrasna wrote: »
    They don't/won't expedite first time passports unless it's a genuine emergency. Had a conversation about passports with someone in DFA last week to clarify things for a letter I'm doing re a group travel thing and that's what I was told. First time passport wait is around 23 working days.

So since I posted here I spoke to several people in the cork office via calls and Twitter direct mail and each said I should have passports. I was in the cork office today and the lady was so lovely to deal with. She has switched our passports to collection as they are going to be issued on the 10th and we are travelling early hours on the 12th so I just didn't want to risk the post at that stage. She told me to ignore the on line tracking date (25th April) and to go back on 10th to collect.

So fingers crossed it will all go to plan and i'll have them and my kids will fly with me!

I genuinely can't fault the staff in the cork office from my dealings so far. They have been so helpful and answered all my questions without any hesitation of guff!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

filmfanb wrote: »
    having an awful time applying for the card. maybe my face isnt made for a passport card.
    as said above, theres something stirring with relation to applying for a normal passport via the app, and I just see that the website is also down for maintenance in anticipation of todays announcement.
    Passport Card Notification
    This page is under reconstruction. Please check back again in a few days for exciting new developments in online passport services. We apologise for the inconvenience.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passportcard/

announcement now coming tomorrow, Thursday, apparently.

With Brexit and all that chaos, theres probably enough happening in the department of foreign affairs without doing the passport announcement in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Online application now up and running, just did mine there, €80. was straight forward but took 3 attempts with photo submission.

Online application now up and running, just did mine there, €80. was straight forward but took 3 attempts with photo submission.
    now offering a tenner discount on the passport card if you get it at the same time.
    You also cannot renew unless its within the last year of validity

And for those of us abroad, "Payment is by credit/debit card only. There will be an additional €5 postal fee if you reside outside Ireland"

on the positive, from the website, waiting times are very low through the new system
    Online Passport Application 10 working days (2 weeks)
    An Post Passport Express Renewal Applications 16 working days
    An Post Passport Express First Time Application, Lost/Stolen/Damaged Replacements 25 working days

also on the positive, good to see that first time applications from Brexit land arent getting priority, seeing as for the next 2 years they can still potter about on their UK passport with no issues.
    Great Britain First Time Applications 11 weeks (minimum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

What about Garda stamping the photos in online application? Is it wiped off? I don't know what purpose it served for postal applications if it's wiped off from online application.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

mac.in wrote: »
    What about Garda stamping the photos in online application? Is it wiped off? I don't know what purpose it served for postal applications if it's wiped off from online application.
    Seems like it's no longer required as you can submit a photo that you take yourself. I guess they can't guarantee that the photo is a recent one any more, but they will at least check that it's of the same person, as they'd have the old one on file.

Need to renew myself soon and was wondering about whether to get the card as well. My concern would be that when abroad, if you lose your wallet, you've lost your ID then. So, would you end up bringing the passport with you also? If so, what's the point of the card then? Decisions, decisions...

• Advertisement

just applied for my renewal for the passport which is running out in a couple of weeks, and a first time passport card.
    I got the wife to take a photo with a neutral background, filled out the info and uploaded the photo (worked 1st time, was taken with a proper camera with flash) paid the bill and was done ! In total took maybe 10 minutes.

compared to the situation before, an unbelievable improvement in handiness.

EDIT. and yes, it works grand for addresses abroad. Just comes up with a note that it has to be signed for on delivery.

EDIT2. news on kiddy passports "All children’s passports will now be valid for five years at a cost of €30 and may be applied for using Passport Express. The three-year passport for infants will no longer be available"

Thats a big improvement and another case of them copping onto themselves, as with needing a renewal every 3 years its just creating more work in an already over stretched passport office. Getting the kids an irish passport just got a small bit more attractive (albeit getting a 5year german one at the local passport office on the spot and walking out the door with it a half hour later is still hard to beat)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement