Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

It's a magnolia so the level of yellowish is highly dependent on the lighting. I didn't notice it being especially strong except in the master bedroom which we repainted grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ken c

We have put a deposit on a Heron from the last launch. As the houses are so close to the canal is anyone concerned about flooding, or maybe this isn't an issue with a canal? Does anyone know if there are any historical problems with floods in the area?

Ken c wrote: »
    We have put a deposit on a Heron from the last launch. As the houses are so close to the canal is anyone concerned about flooding, or maybe this isn't an issue with a canal? Does anyone know if there are any historical problems with floods in the area?

Hi Ken,

You should look it the planning permission for the development. It includes a flooding risk assessment. Basically enhanced flood protection was placed along the canal as part of the original development. The road layout as well is meant to take flood water away from homes and towards the retention pools. The flood prevention system was actually tested when vandals opened up both lock gates in an attempt to deliberately flood the area some years ago. It was found to have worked as expected.

All this and more is contained in the flood risk assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Ken c wrote: »

Its been discussed a fair bit on the thread already, a few pages back (use the search, there is a lot of useful info there;) )

Summary:
    -Canals rarely flood.
    -Some insurance companies dont care and still wont insure if you are within 200m of a body of water so you need to do a bit of recon to find a company that will insure you.

• Advertisement

Tom in Ballymore tells me that the only option internally is White and that magnolia is not used.
    Manion's photos say otherwise.

It took a lot of time to edit the photos :)

Manion wrote: »
    It took a lot of time to edit the photos :)

Im not questioning you at all Manion! Just venting at the disconnect between Sherry Fitz, Ballymore & Contractors!

They appear to be fixing the potholes and the sunken manhole on royal canal avenue. I wonder if this is something to do with the management company agm on the 11th...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 IvanPogi25

Can anyone who purchased this year in this development and used the HTB scheme let me know how you went about signing contracts and paying the deposit.

Since January the scheme pays the rebate directly to the developer.. supposedly as part of the deposit.
    The contract doesn't specify the HTB on the Method of payment section. I queried this with our solicitor who then queried this to Ballymore solicitor. Ballymore solicitor confirmed that this is a matter to be dealt with between ourselves and Revenue.

We haven't signed our contract yet but it states that we need to pay €15,000 on signing of the contract (plus the reservation of €5k already paid). Then the remainder will be on the closing day (i.e. draw down).

We requested changes to our contract to show the HTB and to amend the deposit required. We are still waiting feedback. If you also purchased an Iris house.. I would suggest that you request the changes to your contract with your solicitor as well. If there are many of us asking for this change then Ballymore solicitor would likely agree to include this rather than using a standard contract for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

Some more people have been asking about the kitchen, Attached are the two options that we got from the kitchen company.
    Both remove the breakfast bar, One is quite a bit smaller to allow space for a table between the pocket doors to the living room and the island.

Nhol78 wrote: »
    Some more people have been asking about the kitchen, Attached are the two options that we got from the kitchen company.
    Both remove the breakfast bar, One is quite a bit smaller to allow space for a table between the pocket doors to the living room and the island.

Hi,

Be sure to get the cad drawing with full measurements as well from them. They did that for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 guns_healy

Our heating is not working or no hot water

I'll call them in the morning but has anyone had this problem and fixed it themselves?

I didn't want to press anything on the boiler incase I made things worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Beata K

maciektok wrote: »
    Hello,

Yeah we sanded the floor in the bedrooms and stairs and then Varnished it. It was hard work but happy with a result. It cost us 70 quid to rent a sander and then we spent about 150 quid on the varnish.we bought one that was stained white. Took us couple of days to do it

Hey maciektok, could you please pm me some pictures of the varnished floors? How you happy with effect after some time of living in? Can you also send me details where you rented sanding machine? In kitchen did you put tiles, did you have issue like someone else in forum with removing dishwasher after putting tiles on the floor? Thanks

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Tom in Ballymore tells me that the only option internally is White and that magnolia is not used.
    Manion's photos say otherwise.

On the recent phase launched last month, Tom said that there's no option for paint anymore.. just white. He said there were complains about the shade of colour, etc etc so to be safe they used white as they can never go wrong with the shades of white 😊

But you can ask for the painter's details if you want a different colour it would probably with additional cost. They want us to deal directly with the painter so they are not responsible if we ended up dissatisfied with our chosen colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

Hi Guns

Im sure you have your heating solved, but just wonder is it the same thing that happened us. Basically the Pump stopped working. We had cold water into the kitchen, but that was it. Turns out it was an easy fix. the isolator switch, which is in the utility room in our case was accidentally switched off. Plumber turned it on and everything worked. Felt a bit silly, but now we know, basically check the electric panel to see if the pump has tripped, check the isolator switch, make sure its on..failing that call plumber. It was just a switch low to the ground of the wall which you nearly wouldn't notice.
    On a slightly related note, when we moved in about 6/7 weeks ago, there were just a few rads that needed small amount of bleeding, we did this. However the rads never seem to get warm in some rooms, and are lukewarm in others. The towel Rack hardly ever seems to get warm. The houses is still very warm. All the Rads are at the max level 5 . Just wondering if this was the same for everyone

IvanPogi25 wrote: »
    On the recent phase launched last month, Tom said that there's no option for paint anymore.. just white. He said there were complains about the shade of colour, etc etc so to be safe they used white as they can never go wrong with the shades of white 😊

But you can ask for the painter's details if you want a different colour it would probably with additional cost. They want us to deal directly with the painter so they are not responsible if we ended up dissatisfied with our chosen colour.

While I'm sure that is true, I'd actually say the issue is all the paint misses and having to get the painter back repeatedly. Whiteplaster board and white paint will show up the misses less and if you opt to deal directly with the painter ballymore can wash their hands of any problems.
    minkey wrote: »
    Hi Guns

Im sure you have your heating solved, but just wonder is it the same thing that happened us. Basically the Pump stopped working. We had cold water into the kitchen, but that was it. Turns out it was an easy fix. the isolator switch, which is in the utility room in our case was accidentally switched off. Plumber turned it on and everything worked. Felt a bit silly, but now we know, basically check the electric panel to see if the pump has tripped, check the isolator switch, make sure its on..failing that call plumber. It was just a switch low to the ground of the wall which you nearly wouldn't notice.
    On a slightly related note, when we moved in about 6/7 weeks ago, there were just a few rads that needed small amount of bleeding, we did this. However the rads never seem to get warm in some rooms, and are lukewarm in others. The towel Rack hardly ever seems to get warm. The houses is still very warm. All the Rads are at the max level 5 . Just wondering if this was the same for everyone

What does the heating isolator switch look like? There is a switch in the hotpress of the herron but that apparently is just a way to force an Emerson to come on.

We had the same problem you had with lukewarm rads. Then one day I came home to water all over the kitchen after a valve had leaked under pressure. The auld plumbers denied all responsibility. If you have a problem with the rads heating I'd suggest getting onto ballymore about it as soon as possible.

Story of the paint, so far is:

Sherry fitz say it will be grey.
    Ballymore are only providing white.

The painting contractor said it is because the grey they initially used has “pigment issues”, whatever that means. The alternative grey is Dulux Diamond brand, which is quite expensive so to sidestep issues they went with white as it allows people to paint over it easily.
    I suspect its mostly due to the cost of the fancy Dulux that they chose the white.

Magnolia was offered in earlier phases but wasn’t well received.

I asked if I supplied the paint would they use that and they were very reluctant.
    Painter is very informative, but also now has an opportunity to get a 2nd job painting the house again.

So, white is what we all get from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ant034

Sherry Fitz are meeting with Ballymore today to find out what is happening with the HTB scheme. The revenue are very sketchy about when the money is paid out and to whom aswell. I dont like the idea of the developer getting it and there being no reference of it in a signed contract from 6 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mandy662

The painting contractor said it is because the grey they initially used has “pigment issues”, whatever that means. The alternative grey is Dulux Diamond brand, which is quite expensive so to sidestep issues they went with white as it allows people to paint over it easily.
    I suspect its mostly due to the cost of the fancy Dulux that they chose the white.

I asked if I supplied the paint would they use that and they were very reluctant.
    Painter is very informative, but also now has an opportunity to get a 2nd job painting the house again.

For us it doesn't have to be a certain shade of grey.. I quite like the darker grey , as long as it's not white!

Why can't they just choose another shade of grey/different brand that's along the same price range?
    Pigment issues sounds like a load of bull to me..

We met with our solicitor today who has put to ballymore that we want grey..

What does everyone else think of this? Would those of you who want grey be giving up and just going with the white?

I don't want to give up! I want grey!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Ant034 wrote: »
    Sherry Fitz are meeting with Ballymore today to find out what is happening with the HTB scheme. The revenue are very sketchy about when the money is paid out and to whom aswell. I dont like the idea of the developer getting it and there being no reference of it in a signed contract from 6 months ago

If you signed the contract before January 1st 2017 then it's you who get's the money directly into your bank account. Not the developer. If it's on or after that date then the builder gets it. I wouldn't worry too much about the record, Revenue don't just go randomly sending out money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Pigment issues are that it's fairly easy to spot patch up areas. They are correct on that. It's something I'm having to push in snagging to get resolved. I'll probably have to do more when I get into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

cronos wrote: »
    If you signed the contract before January 1st 2017 then it's you who get's the money directly into your bank account. Not the developer. If it's on or after that date then the builder gets it. I wouldn't worry too much about the record, Revenue don't just go randomly sending out money.

What's bit odd is that no one seems to know exactly what's supposed to happen. (post January).

You call revenue and you get a different version depending what time you call, ballymore doesn't seem to know much about it, as well...

Looking forward to know what's going to come from today's meeting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

OrdeP wrote: »
    What's bit odd is that no one seems to know exactly what's supposed to happen. (post January).

You call revenue and you get a different version depending what time you call, ballymore doesn't seem to know much about it, as well...

Because its a brand new scheme, I guess there might be elements of confusion across the board. There's a decent guide for contractors on the revenue site.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/htb/index.html#section8

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

slayerking wrote: »
    Because its a brand new scheme, I guess there might be elements of confusion across the board. There's a decent guide for contractors on the revenue site.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/htb/index.html#section8

Guess so. Liked the way you phrased it "elements of confusion" :)

I believe they already went through those steps, as they are on the list of "qualifying contractors".

At the end, everything is going to be fine.

OrdeP wrote: »

My friend recently signed a contract with a different developer and they included the HTB on their contract. We should push for HTB on our contracts for our own protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

20170225_125215_zpsigdwckvu.jpg20170225_123747_zpsrge43dop.jpg20170225_125149_zps1oinmenu.jpg20170225_123738_zps9kgi8w7u.jpg20170225_125228_zpswgerlx4f.jpg20170225_123741_zpsrsgpwsum.jpg

I took these photo's in the marketing suite the last weekend they were open, these are the windows that look on to the canal. Has anyone already moved in seen similar in their houses, is it a cause for concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

They look like standard settlement cracks, common in new builds. Timber & concrete shrink a bit as they dry and the weight of the house on the ground causes a small amount of movement. That results in small cracks around joints & weak points like the above.

That's what it looks like in the photos but haven't seen it myself to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

They look like standard settlement cracks, common in new builds. Timber & concrete shrink a bit as they dry and the weight of the house on the ground causes a small amount of movement. That results in small cracks around joints & weak points like the above.

That's what it looks like in the photos but haven't seen it myself to confirm.

Sounds about right. The cracks don't look as bad in the photos as they did in the flesh but still, they are just cracks.

• Advertisement

There is a section in the welcome pack that talks about the settling cracks. We've a few around the stairs.

Advertisement