Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

andreionut wrote: »
    These plans are more accurate than the ones found on the planning permission. They are the ones that I got when they gave us the keys. (@Nhol78: The ground floor photo is showing the first floor)

Note that some people's Herons are in a mirror like the plans above, as was the show house.

Thanks I uploaded the correct one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

They are the plans for the phase 1 houses, so everything is mirrored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Anyone happen to have the measurements for the large windows in the master bedroom of the Heron? Looking to price blinds for them, ideally electric/motorised ones similar to the show house.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

slayerking wrote: »
    Anyone happen to have the measurements for the large windows in the master bedroom of the Heron? Looking to price blinds for them, ideally electric/motorised ones similar to the show house.

The size for the master bedroom window: W*H 1320*2700

We saw the same remote as in the show house in the Acme from Dublin 3 (North Strand Rd). The one in Walkinstown has a different system.

For people that are interested these are the measurements for all the Heron windows (as measured by me)
    Width * Height

420*1890 - living
    1880*1890 - living
    420*1890 - bedroom 1
    1880*1890 - bedroom 1
    1470*2200 - kitchen
    1540*1450 - family room
    530*1370 - Bathroom (has frosted window)
    1540*1190 x 2 - bedrooms 2 and 3
    1320*2700 x 2 - master bedroom

Any window blinds company will measure on site, but you can use those for a rough quote to price shop.

We got a good cost-saving idea from one of the shops: Buy at first the blinds in the front and the get the ones for the back later as you decide more on the colour-scheme of the house.

I really wanted something that works with the iOS Home app but the only system that is available in Ireland, Lutron, is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Danny87

Hi, I’m relatively new to this . We are currently interested in the latest phase of houses which have yet to be released on Hamilton Walk

I have had a look at DCC development pain and they appear to be quite widespread and don’t seem to deliver much detail

Can anyone help us with the following questions:

•Location of the social affordable dwellings . We were informed that it could be located in the apartment blocks opposite this new phase
    •Any idea what will be the potential release price for the three bed terrace and end terrace Ash house. We’re thinking around the 350k mark?
    •Development plans for the old Ormond Factory site
    •Will this new phase be closed off or have direct access from Ratoath road

Any information would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭maciektok

cronos wrote: »
    Does anyone have the full per room measurements for the Heron showhouse. While we're on the subject of measurements. Have the measurements from a neighbour on an actually built Heron. Curious to compare them to the showhouse and see how much they are shaving off.
    Ballymore have plans for all the houses, so if you need dimensions of any rooms just drop them an email and they will send you plans for your house that include all the dimensions

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Hi neighbours!

We moved into Phelan Park in September last year to one of the 3 beds.
    We are for the most part, pleased with the house. The neighborhood is nice and quiet and all the occupants are friendly and nice to live near. We had a few issues with broadband initially but Eir is installed now and the speed is really good with a 100Mbit connection. That is quite an upgrade on our previous place!

Its kind of interesting and funny reading this thread :) I have been nodding my head at some of the problems you guys have had. (us too). I hate to point out the negatives and not all the good things about the development but here is my few points.

Some things i see repeated here are:
    * Our ensuite bathroom ceiling often has mold growing on it. We are obsessively clean but no matter how often we clean it comes back. I guess we also have the fan not insulated properly issue some of you have had.
    * The builders are slow to respond now the deal is all done. Its frustrating to not get responses and these things sorted asap.

Some things you guys have not mentioned though, (and i wonder does anybody else have this)
    * We tiled our kitchen. I wonder did anybody notice that now its impossible to get the dishwasher out without breaking tiles? Its just not possible to move the dishwasher or otherwise take the kitchen cabinet apart to move it. My father in law tiled our kitchen and noticed it immediately. The builders are at a bit of a loss about how to solve and keep failing to sort it out.
    * We also have a smell from the drains coming into the house periodically. Its not very pleasant as you can imagine. Anybody else have this? I hope its not some fundamental issue. Maybe this is a common new build thing.
    * Our worktop got exposed to water as its next to the sink and i guess the board was not treated properly so it warped :( The kitchen guys are coming to replace it but i wonder will the replacement have the same problem.

Just take those with a pinch of salt by the way anybody reading. We are pretty happy overall and if those things were sorted we would be really happy.

Thanks for reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Howdy, neighbor. We're also in one of the Phelan Park Ashes, so I hope I can contribute a few answers:

1. Tiling in the kitchen: We have the kitchen tiles, too. I checked after reading your post, and our dishwasher stands on small, screw-in legs. The bottom of the washer has a few mm of clearance over the tiles, so I guess it depends on how far you can screw those legs in. In our case, however, the tiling contractor did a very poor job, and I already lowered my expectations about the longevity of the kitchen and the tiles from 20 to 10 years, so I guess we'll remodel everything at once.

2. Smell from the drains: We detected strong sewage smell a few times in the past, but determined it was coming from the outside of the house. Once we closed the windows, the smell was gone. So at least that's the source of the smell. From my very limited knowledge of house maintenance (reading a manual once, years back), there is supposed to be a bend in all drainage piping, which retains water, as an airtight seal against such smell. Maybe for some reason the bend is not fully filled with water at all times?

3. Kitchen counter: No problem at our place, and I tend to splash a lot of water around the sink when I wash dishes. We fount that it was very difficult to clean, though, as the dirt seems to almost seep into the surface.

4. En-suite extractor fan: After observing the fix for about a month, I can say with a high degree of certainty that the insulation didn't help. Every time the temperature is close to freezing, water collects in the fan, and when we turn it on we can hear it bubbling and see it dripping down. No mold as of yet, though.

Thanks for info!
    Bruncvik wrote: »
    1. Tiling in the kitchen: We have the kitchen tiles, too. I checked after reading your post, and our dishwasher stands on small, screw-in legs. The bottom of the washer has a few mm of clearance over the tiles, so I guess it depends on how far you can screw those legs in. In our case, however, the tiling contractor did a very poor job, and I already lowered my expectations about the longevity of the kitchen and the tiles from 20 to 10 years, so I guess we'll remodel everything at once.

Yeah, this is an annoying one. My father in law and the builders just could not figure out how to get the dishwasher out without breaking the tiles. If the disdwasher ever needs servicing, this will be an annoying one. Id be interested to see if anybody else noticed yet ?
    2. Smell from the drains: We detected strong sewage smell a few times in the past, but determined it was coming from the outside of the house. Once we closed the windows, the smell was gone. So at least that's the source of the smell. From my very limited knowledge of house maintenance (reading a manual once, years back), there is supposed to be a bend in all drainage piping, which retains water, as an airtight seal against such smell. Maybe for some reason the bend is not fully filled with water at all times?

Pretty sure it wasnt from outside as our kitchen doors were closed. Hopefully somebody can come in and fix this, maybe its the bend in the drain, that seems ok to us and full of water though.

Will post back if and when the issues are sorted.

The Minerva counter top is really hard to keep clean. The absolute worst surface. He had a choice at the time to go for granite instead and I really wish we had done so because this is an absolute pain in the head.

I found a video online for how to maintain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpaqTJyUO94

With regards smell in the kitchen, we had the same issue from the kitchen drain, after using a very strong drain cleaner it went away. It's important to remember that before you got the house builders could have been doing anything. When we moved in we found a number of toilets bowls to have a Red slimy substance which later turned out to be bacteria. Because the water had been left standing for a longer period the bacteria formed. We now have a problem getting rid of it completely as most of the cisterns are not directly accessible and the recommended approach is to add bleach to the water tank.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same bacteria was in the sink drain and the drain cleaner removed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Manion wrote: »
    The Minerva counter top is really hard to keep clean. The absolute worst surface. He had a choice at the time to go for granite instead and I really wish we had done so because this is an absolute pain in the head.

I found a video online for how to maintain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpaqTJyUO94

With regards smell in the kitchen, we had the same issue from the kitchen drain, after using a very strong drain cleaner it went away. It's important to remember that before you got the house builders could have been doing anything. When we moved in we found a number of toilets bowls to have a Red slimy substance which later turned out to be bacteria. Because the water had been left standing for a longer period the bacteria formed. We now have a problem getting rid of it completely as most of the cisterns are not directly accessible and the recommended approach is to add bleach to the water tank.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same bacteria was in the sink drain and the drain cleaner removed it.

You could possibly look into introducing a chlorine solution to the attic water tank. Sounds like the entire system could do with a treatment and purge.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

Hi

To people who moved in , do you have any advice on the back garden?
    in the brochure it says "garden will be seeded". We moved in after Christmas and the seed was put on , but the soil was in a bad way, compacted, and basically full of rocks. Eventually we will have to get topsoil and reseed it, but I just wonder was anyone successful with getting Ballymore to do this? Its not a major thing, but its a bit of work if we have to do it ourselves

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

minkey wrote: »
    Hi

To people who moved in , do you have any advice on the back garden?
    in the brochure it says "garden will be seeded". We moved in after Christmas and the seed was put on , but the soil was in a bad way, compacted, and basically full of rocks. Eventually we will have to get topsoil and reseed it, but I just wonder was anyone successful with getting Ballymore to do this? Its not a major thing, but its a bit of work if we have to do it ourselves

Thanks

Given that most of the houses are terraced getting topsoil to the garden could be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1dav

Anybody experiencing condensation on bedroom windows in the mornings. Any ideas how to minimise it (should the window vent be open or close overnight)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ek

1dav wrote: »
    Anybody experiencing condensation on bedroom windows in the mornings. Any ideas how to minimise it (should the window vent be open or close overnight)?

We were having the same problem. Vent open has definitely reduced it.

Howdy, neighbor. We're also in one of the Phelan Park Ashes, so I hope I can contribute a few answers:

4. En-suite extractor fan: After observing the fix for about a month, I can say with a high degree of certainty that the insulation didn't help. Every time the temperature is close to freezing, water collects in the fan, and when we turn it on we can hear it bubbling and see it dripping down. No mold as of yet, though.

Our ceiling was badly damaged from the water collecting in the fan. Apparently ours was the worst as we are end of terrace and are more exposed to the cold temperatures at the location of the fan. Our fan has since been replaced and seems to be working well. It is however a much bigger device and is very noisy. We are still awaiting final repairs to the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

ek wrote: »
    We were having the same problem. Vent open has definitely reduced it.

Hi, is this a problem in a Heron? and also can you say where these vents are located in the bedrooms as didn't see them in the show house.

janeybaby wrote: »
    Hi, is this a problem in a Heron? and also can you say where these vents are located in the bedrooms as didn't see them in the show house.

Ours is an Ash but I would imagine the windows are the same. The vent is built into the window. There's a small bar at the top which can be opened and closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Danny87 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m relatively new to this . We are currently interested in the latest phase of houses which have yet to be released on Hamilton Walk

I have had a look at DCC development pain and they appear to be quite widespread and don’t seem to deliver much detail

Can anyone help us with the following questions:

•Location of the social affordable dwellings . We were informed that it could be located in the apartment blocks opposite this new phase
    •Any idea what will be the potential release price for the three bed terrace and end terrace Ash house. We’re thinking around the 350k mark?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Nobody can confirm this, not even Sherry Fitz as it would be both illegal and unfair to pinpoint their exact location. However with the information we do know, we are 99% sure they will be in the apartments. There are apartment blocks all around the development, not just beside the last phase of houses.
    Not even Sherry Fitz know this. They'll be released in 3 - 6 months so market conditions will be a factor. The Ash started from 330 two phases ago, add on 10-20K for the fact it's a later phase, another 10K for EOT and another 10K for an additional parking space, so more likely 370K for an EOT with 2 parking spaces.
    This was discussed on page 52, we only know what is in the LAP. It is zoned as mixed use, commercial and residential.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102680354
    Your best bet is to look at the site plan in the planning permission here. Look for the site layout plan. The houses facing the Ratoath road will have parking spaces in front, with a path in front of that and then the Ratoath road. There will be nothing else separating them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Chumpski wrote: »
    Hi neighbours!

We moved into Phelan Park in September last year to one of the 3 beds.
    We are for the most part, pleased with the house. The neighborhood is nice and quiet and all the occupants are friendly and nice to live near. We had a few issues with broadband initially but Eir is installed now and the speed is really good with a 100Mbit connection. That is quite an upgrade on our previous place!

Its kind of interesting and funny reading this thread :) I have been nodding my head at some of the problems you guys have had. (us too). I hate to point out the negatives and not all the good things about the development but here is my few points.

Some things i see repeated here are:
    * Our ensuite bathroom ceiling often has mold growing on it. We are obsessively clean but no matter how often we clean it comes back. I guess we also have the fan not insulated properly issue some of you have had.
    * The builders are slow to respond now the deal is all done. Its frustrating to not get responses and these things sorted asap.

Some things you guys have not mentioned though, (and i wonder does anybody else have this)
    * We tiled our kitchen. I wonder did anybody notice that now its impossible to get the dishwasher out without breaking tiles? Its just not possible to move the dishwasher or otherwise take the kitchen cabinet apart to move it. My father in law tiled our kitchen and noticed it immediately. The builders are at a bit of a loss about how to solve and keep failing to sort it out.
    * We also have a smell from the drains coming into the house periodically. Its not very pleasant as you can imagine. Anybody else have this? I hope its not some fundamental issue. Maybe this is a common new build thing.
    * Our worktop got exposed to water as its next to the sink and i guess the board was not treated properly so it warped :( The kitchen guys are coming to replace it but i wonder will the replacement have the same problem.

Just take those with a pinch of salt by the way anybody reading. We are pretty happy overall and if those things were sorted we would be really happy.

Thanks for reading!

Possible scenarios - insulation in attic might not be fitted tight to the plasterboard which could encourage mould (hot air hitting cold surface) Clean off the mould & paint ceiling with eggshell paint.

Tell the builders your dishwasher has broken down & you need to service it but cant get it out due to the kitchen fitters wrong measurement regarding the height of the worktop.

Smell from drains could be the soil vent pipe not high enough externally to take the smell away so has a back draft effect & the smell heads downwards. Could also be the white waste traps are being siphoned of the water which is meant to stay in the trap.

Worktops are allowed to have some water on them - worktop might not be sealed properly to the wall or the sink may not be sealed to the worktop etc.

Get back onto the builders & stamp your feet & shout out loud (in case he's deaf!) Would you take this sort of treatment if it was your brand new shiny €30,000 car? Why take it from your brand new not so shiny €200 - €350,000
    house! When I snag houses some builders assume they have idiots buying them

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a list challenges faced with the Herons, We are hoping to snag at the end of March.

Thanks for your comments...very informative

Do you or anyone know the past phase dates and prices for a mid terrace Ash house
    Correct me if i am wrong but so far i think it has gone as follows :

Phase 1 -295k
    Phase 2 -315k
    Phase 3 -335k

They seem to be jumping 6% and rounded up every phase but its been a while since an Ash house was released !?.

I only ask so that i can project a budget for these mid terrace ( no sense queuing if were punching above our weight ) Perhaps this would be useful to others also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The three phases with ash's were October 2015, Feb 2016 and Sept 2016.

Also worth noting that the three beds (of a different style) started from €345k in the phase a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Has anyone priced (or installed) alternatives to the minerva worktop? <mod snip>

Curious how much extra it would cost to go with something like Granite, or something else a little bit more hard wearing that the minerva.

I've emailed them, but I guess they're pretty slow to respond.

<quote snipped>

From memory they said about 2.5K, but it was an estimate not a quote. If you're serious about that, given the money involved I'd recommend talking to ballymore about getting your own fitter, something that someone else indicated was an option. Communication with the kitchen crowd is terrible and it's a lot of money.

Nhol78 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list challenges faced with the Herons, We are hoping to snag at the end of March.

In addition to my orginal post:
    1. There was a horizontal gap between the main windows open casement section and the fixed
      glazed section on top.
    2. The external flat roof well was holding water on the inspection date. They assured us this was as expected and infact desirable.
    3. Additional weep holes over windows/doors are required in brick work to the front of the house.

Danny87 wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments...very informative

Do you or anyone know the past phase dates and prices for a mid terrace Ash house
    Correct me if i am wrong but so far i think it has gone as follows :

Phase 1 -295k
    Phase 2 -315k
    Phase 3 -335k

They seem to be jumping 6% and rounded up every phase but its been a while since an Ash house was released !?.

I only ask so that i can project a budget for these mid terrace ( no sense queuing if were punching above our weight ) Perhaps this would be useful to others also

Our Phase 2 Ash was 320k with one space. 330k for two spaces. That was February 2016.

tradesman wrote: »
    Possible scenarios - insulation in attic might not be fitted tight to the plasterboard which could encourage mould (hot air hitting cold surface) Clean off the mould & paint ceiling with eggshell paint.

Tell the builders your dishwasher has broken down & you need to service it but cant get it out due to the kitchen fitters wrong measurement regarding the height of the worktop.

Smell from drains could be the soil vent pipe not high enough externally to take the smell away so has a back draft effect & the smell heads downwards. Could also be the white waste traps are being siphoned of the water which is meant to stay in the trap.

Worktops are allowed to have some water on them - worktop might not be sealed properly to the wall or the sink may not be sealed to the worktop etc.

Get back onto the builders & stamp your feet & shout out loud (in case he's deaf!) Would you take this sort of treatment if it was your brand new shiny €30,000 car? Why take it from your brand new not so shiny €200 - €350,000
    house! When I snag houses some builders assume they have idiots buying them

Absolutely.

Kitchen guys did not show up today to fix some of our issues. Not impressed with those guys. Can i mention their business name? I assume not :) But they are difficult to deal with for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Chumpski wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Kitchen guys did not show up today to fix some of our issues. Not impressed with those guys. Can i mention their business name? I assume not :) But they are difficult to deal with for sure.

They are very poor to deal with. A few neighbours have also had issues.

All trades would only be obliged to answer to the builder as this is who they are in contract with , So i would chase Ballymore on snags/ faults etc if i were you.

The builder would hold whats called Defects Liability with the trades ( usually 5% of value of there works for 1 year after completion ) This comes into effect after all snags are complete and the house is handed over, something to be mindful of as it gives you a year to oppose items that are faulty etc. Id also have a read of the O&M manuals as this would list warranties etc.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

The kitchen company which by the way is called <mod snip> are useless. Please complain to Ballymore about the kitchen company it is the only way that things will get better.

Does anyone else have concerns about clearance between the dishwasher and the floor after you have had tiles put in?

Advertisement