Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Very Good Looking people have it easier in life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You can't possibly attribute some people losing their looks as they age to being Irish, lol

Actually you can. We are naturally pale skinned and thin skinned people which makes us highly susceptible to ageing. We are also a nation that do not wear suncream daily due to the cloudy weather, but the uv rays that cause ageing are present in hot and cold climates, cloudy or clear skies.
    We also drink a lot, and eat very unhealthy high fat high sugar diets and exercise much too little.
    These factors do all contribute to why irish people often look older on average

wakka12 wrote: »
    Actually you can. We are naturally pale skinned and thin skinned people which makes us highly susceptible to ageing. We are also a nation that do not wear suncream daily due to the cloudy weather, but the uv rays that cause ageing are present in hot and cold climates, cloudy or clear skies.
    We also drink a lot, and eat very unhealthy high fat high sugar diets and exercise much too little.

Sunscreen is really important when it comes to signs of ageing. I wear an spf 50 everyday, sun or no sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I'd say that's broadly true. It seems to be very apparent as people hit there late 20's. A lot of them go from looking 25 to looking 40+ in the matter of about 4 years!

It's great that we have a relatively low focus on aesthetics, but we should be more health focused. We are a very unhealthy country.

Sunscreen is really important when it comes to signs of ageing. I wear an spf 50 everyday, sun or no sun.

Yup. Its why asians look good when theyre middle aged. They're terrified of getting a tan and will do anything to prevent it, umbrellas on sunny days:pac:

ligerdub wrote: »
    I'd say that's broadly true. It seems to be very apparent as people hit there late 20's. A lot of them go from looking 25 to looking 40+ in the matter of about 4 years!

It's great that we have a relatively low focus on aesthetics, but we should be more health focused. We are a very unhealthy country.

Me too, its a lot more relaxed that way. I guess its a bit of generalisation but Irelands seems a lot less looks focused and vapid than places like USA and some mainland european countries. Which I think is quite lovely. I think its quite noticeable changing with the very young generation at present who are very influenced by foreign social media ,though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Yup. Its why asians look good when theyre middle aged. They're terrified of getting a tan and will do anything to prevent it, umbrellas on sunny days:pac:

Hate to pull you up on this, but if Karl says it it's true.....so by default you're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

But overuse of sunscreen will block the vitamin D from entering your skin.

Everyday??? Never heard that before. Its so uncomfortable to have on.

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    Everyday??? That's mad. Never heard that before.

Yep. Unless I'm not going to be outside or during the day. Mind you factor 30 might be enough.

But overuse of sunscreen will block the vitamin D from entering your skin.

You don't have to wear it everywhere on your body. If your arms are not covered by suncream you will absorb more than enough sunlight through them throughout the day for health needs. The face makes up such a small portion of your overall skin area and facial skin is much thinner than the rest of your skin and susceptible to ageing so theres really just no disadvantages to wearing suncream on your face daily

• Advertisement

Everyday??? Never heard that before. Its so uncomfortable to have on.

It's Vichy and made specifically for your face. Very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

philstar wrote: »
    Do Very Good Looking people have it easier in life??

no they don't and here's proof

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

Ah ya have to wear sunscreen! It's just part of the moisturiser I slap on every morning (my sole cosmetic product :p)

And yes, Irish people have truly terrible diets and lifestyles - second only to the UK. That combined with the booze and little exercise....sure you're going to look aged!!

wakka12 wrote:
    You don't have to wear it everywhere on your body. If your arms are not covered by suncream you will absorb more than enough sunlight through them throughout the day for health needs. The face makes up such a small portion of your overall skin area and facial skin is much thinner than the rest of your skin and susceptible to ageing so theres really just no disadvantages to wearing suncream on your face daily
    I get your point. Your not trying to make your arms look younger lol
    It's Vichy and made specifically for your face. Very light.
    Ah OK, so a little like make-up almost. I was thinking of you going round with the nose pure white :D

I get your point. Your not trying to make your arms look younger lol

Ah OK, so a little like make-up almost. I was thinking of you going round with the nose pure white :D

Ah no Mr A. It's just a little something which helps me to look as fresh as a 29yr old! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Aye, although in other Asian nations it is more for status symbol reasons that they cover up because people with suntans are viewed as poorer (working in rice fields etc) while the richer white skinned folks are out of the sun working the better paid office jobs. Hence why you will see a lot of folk covered head to toe working the fields.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Going on myself and my friends and relatives and people around in general I don't think we age any better or worse than any other nations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I worked in an office in a pharma company where none of the females could be branded as particularly attractive. Who had the final say on hiring? Women in their twenties.

In the same plant, in another department, there were plenty of attractive women where the hirer was a man.

This may be a generalisation, but there seems to be a competition within the same sex determined by looks where attractive people may be hampered if they are seen as competition.

I have another example in an environment with plenty of attractive ladies, where the bitchiness and cattiness is a sight to behold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You don't have to wear it everywhere on your body. If your arms are not covered by suncream you will absorb more than enough sunlight through them throughout the day for health needs.
    Maybe, maybe not. From my reading of it vitamin D levels in modern northern societies are a rising concern and unless you've got big arms you're not likely to be getting enough from sun exposure. IIRC it requires an area more like your torso exposed to direct sunlight for over half an hour.
    Not just that. Asians while appearing pale, even "white" of skin have different genes involved in the development of pale skin when compared to Europeans. These genes extend more protection from sun damage. Indeed Asian skin has about the same risk of skin cancers or lack thereof as African skin. This also means that Asian skin tends to age more slowly at similar levels of sun exposure. African skin ages even more slowly as it tends to contain more collagen and oils as well as built in sunblock. Europeans get the pooey end of the stick when it comes to skin ageing. I suppose one could say; Black don't crack, Yellow mellows but White goes to Shíte. :D Still sunscreen helps, though if you only start in adulthood you're playing catchup as the majority of sun damage in skin occurs before 20.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You can take vitamin d supplements. Not a chance would I put my skin at risk in the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

You can take vitamin d supplements. Not a chance would I put my skin at risk in the sun.

Yep. The sun is a giant nuclear fusion reactor, spewing radiation in all directions. I don't get why people like to sit under that for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I dunno. I'm a fairly average looking dude and life has been pretty easy so far. I can't think of anything in my life really that would have been made easier by being really good looking. There are other advantages that we all ignore that would vastly outweigh your looks in terms of being the ticket to an easy life in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Just thinking of three people, ex colleagues, (different places I worked) who were extremely good looking. Did that make life easier for them? I have no idea.

The other thing they all have in common is that they were very hard working, and just goddam nice people! I actually think none of them had any idea of just how good looking they were anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Not really, no. We have it arguably more difficult as people assume from what unbelievable specimens we are that we are therefore superhuman in every other way. It's a constant stream of disappointment when it inevitably transpires that I have not, in fact, descended from Olympus or from Tír na nÓg like Sláine Mac Roth, but am merely mortal like you lot. Live as one of them, Kal-El. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

How would it be measured?

How would you know if a person had a really easy life which was related directly to their looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

How would it be measured?

How would you know if a person had a really easy life which was related directly to their looks?

I think it goes:

Are they better looking than me? ☑
    Am I envious of something in their life? ☑

It came easily to them because of their looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I could be wrong, but certainly where I'm from there are more wow looking women than wow looking men. So I think if you are a very attractive looking man, then you have it easier than your female counterpart. I see girls all the time where I'm like "she's gorgeous, nice hair, nice face etc", but I rarely ever see a guy where I stop and think "wow what a hunk". So I think being an attractive male makes it easier, you can have your pick of the bunch so to speak. The ratio is much smaller and I think that's why you see more gorgeous looking girls with average looking men than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

anna080 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but certainly where I'm from there are more wow looking women than wow looking men. So I think if you are a very attractive looking man, then you have it easier than your female counterpart. I see girls all the time where I'm like "she's gorgeous, nice hair, nice face etc", but I rarely ever see a guy where I stop and think "wow what a hunk". So I think being an attractive male makes it easier, you can have your pick of the bunch so to speak. The ratio is much smaller and I think that's why you see more gorgeous looking girls with average looking men than the other way around.

I think this is spot on actually. Browsing around Facebook and being a member of various groups, I am amazed lately at the number of gorgeous looking girls about. Where are they all in real life though?! I never seem to meet many or any! Whereas I do agree - seems like the vast majority of guys on the other hand are fairly average and there are very few who would stand out like the girls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

route9 wrote: »
    I think this is spot on actually. Browsing around Facebook and being a member of various groups, I am amazed lately at the number of gorgeous looking girls about. Where are they all in real life though?! I never seem to meet many or any! Whereas I do agree - seems like the vast majority of guys on the other hand are fairly average and there are very few who would stand out like the girls.

If you're only seeing them on facebook then you're seeing them at specific angles and possibly with filters, which may be why you don't see them when you're out in the real world.

That said, I do think there are a lot more beautiful Irish women out there than AH would ever let you believe.

Advertisement