Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Very Good Looking people have it easier in life

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I don't really understand what's wrong with working out to look good?

Nothing, it's just with men that extra muscle *sometimes* goes to their heads, and I mean that figuratively, as unfortunately no amount of working out can fix a head. But some lads think that having muscles means they're hard, which is obviously not true at all.

But I know plenty of muscly blokes who are sound too. As with everything in life, it's a mix of personalities doing the same thing, but the arseholes stick out more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

How many people in this thread or in after hours actually have girlfriends/boyfriends or meaningful relationships?

In fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭cookiexx

wakka12 wrote: »
    What are these supposed to mean? I have beautiful friends too lots of people tell them it all the time but their life seems very normal. Not as paprazzi as you're making it out ..

Nothing paparazzi about it, just that being the most beautiful person in the room means you're more noticeable to most people. You're the hot girl or the hot guy. Things you say or do are picked up on more or scrutinised because you're drop dead gorgeous and some people are intimidated by that.

Went to college with one of the most attractive people I've ever seen in my life. She now works in the beauty and entertainment industry and is quite well known. In college, the most popular thing people would say about her was "she's not that goodlooking", now that she's successful it's "well if you or I looked lke that.." and now all the papers want to say about her is that she's a total b1tch with basically no evidence for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

roysh1 wrote: »
    Do you think that very attractive people(conventionally) have it easier in life? I believe they do. I think we are more receptive to very good looking people. It's a fact of life (and I've seen it) that if you're better looking than someone who is of similar abilities to you, you will ascend the career ladder faster. I think good looks are a lot like money, in that they might not make you happy in of themselves, but they give you more options. Very attractive folks can afford to be more fussy when it comes to finding a partner. So what do you think? Do people who've won the genetic lottery have it easier in life?

I think we do and being well hung as well is an extra bonus!

david75 wrote: »
    How many people in this thread or in after hours actually have girlfriends/boyfriends or meaningful relationships?

In fairness

A mixed bag, I'd say. This has been touched on already, and I've no doubt you've read the thread, but the concensus seems to be that looks only matter at the initial attraction, but personality is most important.

Looks may also be useful in other limited ways, if you would like to learn more, I'd say review the thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭RagsOBrien

roysh1 wrote: »
    Do you think that very attractive people(conventionally) have it easier in life? I believe they do. I think we are more receptive to very good looking people. It's a fact of life (and I've seen it) that if you're better looking than someone who is of similar abilities to you, you will ascend the career ladder faster. I think good looks are a lot like money, in that they might not make you happy in of themselves, but they give you more options. Very attractive folks can afford to be more fussy when it comes to finding a partner. So what do you think? Do people who've won the genetic lottery have it easier in life?

A simple yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Even with the juice it still takes a lot of hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think there is a kind of good-looks sweet spot. I think if you're excessively good looking, it may define you or people will assume that your good looks will define you. I think it would be far more beneficial to have a friendly/ disarming aesthetic or charm or charisma. Maybe Chris O'Dowd would be an example.

It depends on the context and situation. If you look like you possess the physical traits of the MD, you probably have a better chance of becoming the MD. If you look outgoing and approachable, you'll have a better chance of getting that sales job. If you're quite mean looking and you're climbing into a boxing ring, it would be useful (would you rather fight Vinnie Jones or Hugh Grant?).

Personally, I can't talk; I suffer from resting-jerk-face :cool: People have admitted to me that they made judgments about my character based on my physicality before getting to know me. I'm as physically intimidating as your average bouncer while basically being a shy person. This dynamic is probably unnerving to people; I think they'd rather I picked a direction and stuck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Saipanne wrote: »
    Nothing, it's just with men that extra muscle *sometimes* goes to their heads, and I mean that figuratively, as unfortunately no amount of working out can fix a head. But some lads think that having muscles means they're hard, which is obviously not true at all.

But I know plenty of muscly blokes who are sound too. As with everything in life, it's a mix of personalities doing the same thing, but the arseholes stick out more.

Ah I think just some lads/girls are particularly vein and that may be a symptom, rather than a cause.

I wouldn't see the point of working my ass off in the gym and not looking half decent for it.

Ah I think just some lads/girls are particularly vein and that may be a symptom, rather than a cause.

I wouldn't see the point of working my ass off in the gym and not looking half decent for it.

I think it might also be a case of fellas who used to be skinny and get pushed around, work out and get bigger and it goes to their head?

It also sometimes happens when an obese person loses a lot of weight and is now a hottie. I've seen a couple of cases where they were much nicer people when overweight.

There's lots of scenarios, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

I think some of the comments in this thread are wholly unfair but are probably quite reflective of the flak good-looking people get regularly. I've seen comments ranging from how they're vacuous and lack personality, to they're vain and only interested in money and coast through life. It's all ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Saipanne wrote: »
    I think it might also be a case of fellas who used to be skinny and get pushed around, work out and get bigger and it goes to their head?

It also sometimes happens when an obese person loses a lot of weight and is now a hottie. I've seen a couple of cases where they were much nicer people when overweight.

There's lots of scenarios, I suppose.

Well, personally if I was obese and got hot and people treated me better it would make me extremely bitter and resentful towards people, realising how shallow they were despite me being a nice person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Ive a bit of weight on my face as well as my body so I'm hoping working out will help my overall appearance as well as my health. It would be interesting to see what people if any try a little harder to get into your life when ya get into outstanding shape as opposed to when they wanted nothing to do with you prior to the fitness journey.
    It would be a decent experiment regarding this entire thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what people if any try a little harder to get into your life when ya get into outstanding shape as opposed to when they wanted nothing to do with you prior to the fitness journey.

Even if they did, people would just put it down to you having more confidence and how you then felt about yourself, rather than it having anything to do with those who were then attracted to you. There was a guy on Boards lambasted recently for daring to say women had no time for him based on how he looks.

Confidence is a thing, for sure, no question... but boy is it overstated.

Even if they did, people would just put it down to you having more confidence and how you then felt about yourself, rather than it having anything to do with those who were then attracted to you. There was a guy on Boards lambasted recently for daring to say women had no time for him based on how he looks.

I get what ya mean cos i am a confident fella when out and about. I will initiate conversations and also tbh I wouldn't be self conscious. So I know if I get ripped and start getting approached more by women, it will be about the looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't think so. Life is what you make it

I don't think so. Life is what you make it

Yeah, there are conditions though. If you have something resembling a normal existence, then yeah, life is what you make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Good looking people probably have to spend longer maintaining their looks/figure

/Eats cold pizza

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

You can't possibly attribute some people losing their looks as they age to being Irish, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

Road-Hog wrote: »
    What a smug self satisfied person you are

Yes because admitting you're really shy and would be screwed if you weren't a looker screams 'smug and self-satisfied'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I'm a good looking lad, can't say I've had girls stopping me in the street but I would get a good bit of attention - girls giving you 'that' look, smiling, etc. I've had girls message me on FB and stuff like that. I lost a bit of weight a year or so ago and definitely noticed a difference - also grew my hair back which has gotten great feedback too.

We all judge based on appearance and I can say with certainty that people trust people who are good-looking a lot more...pretty sure it is widely documented. They do better at interviews and so on as people have mentioned - seen as more trustworthy, capable, etc - and so tend to progress career-wise a lot more. Sure look at Obama, the prime minister of Canada, eh and Enda....

People will smile more around you and be way more receptive to what you are saying and just in general.

That said I don't think it's THAT big a factor - at the end of the day once you get past the initial impressions it's all about your personality, confidence, overall energy and attitude.

Just be confident I say - how many average looking guys have you seen over the years with hot / highly attractive women?

route9 wrote:
    I'm a good looking lad, can't say I've had girls stopping me in the street but I would get a good bit of attention - girls giving you 'that' look, smiling, etc. I've had girls message me on FB and stuff like that. I lost a bit of weight a year or so ago and definitely noticed a difference - also grew my hair back which has gotten great feedback too.

What age are ya if ya don't mind me asking?

What age are ya if ya don't mind me asking?

Sure, I'm just gone 36. Why you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

This could explain why life is hard for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Do Very Good Looking people have it easier in life??

no they don't and here's proof

route9 wrote:
    Sure, I'm just gone 36. Why you ask?

Just wondering. Age is a big factor in some of these things.

Just wondering. Age is a big factor in some of these things.

True indeed. I am always told I look 29/30 or 32 max, which is nice. A big part of is genes but also exercising, not eating too much junk or drinking too much. Needless to say.

• Advertisement

I don't know the answer to this. Maybe? It depends on many factors. Some people might find the very beautiful to be intimidating. There are women who can be bitchy towards other women who they deem to be good looking. In certain professional settings the attractive ones might feel they have to work harder to prove their intelligence. I'm an attractive woman and get a bit of attention here and there so I can only guess at what the beautiful among us experience.

What I find interesting is the link between looks and self-esteem. I know quite a number of very good looking individuals who are in pieces inside. The opposite is also true. Yes an improved overall appearance can help you feel good but sometimes the issues run deeper than that.

Advertisement