Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAJOR SPOILERS: Matrix reloaded - confusing ?

Options
  • 21-05-2003 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Ok , only read this if you have seen it otherwise it will ruin it for you , alot of people i seen this with found it confusing and as a result didnt like it , i thought it was fantastic but just want to make sure i understood it correctly.

Am i right in thinking ........
    The robots need humans for power , so the matrix was created to keep the humans alive to generate the power but a small minority of people wont accept the matrix and get out to the "real world" and zion. But Zion is actually still part of the matirx , its just there so the small percentage of people who wont accept the matrix wont disrupt the whole system. There for the matrix is actually made up of the matrix we know and zion.

Ok am i right so far ? There have been six matrix systems and each time it gets to a point where the sysem needs to be "rebooted" in order to stop the zionists from disrupting the entire system, and neo is the one who is needed to reboot the system.

Thats what i got from the film , anyone else want to add or change that ?

one think im not sure on though ...

Is neo a real person or just a progamme ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Most of the questions that you ask can be answered from information taken from the first film - no spoiler here I haven't seen Reloaded.

Neo is a real person who was woken from a coma-like state. In this coma his body was generating power for the machines (The machines need power as they were initially built to use sunlight but the humans 'scarred' the sky to block the light). To keep Neo (and all other humans) from waking up etc. the Matrix was formed to trick them into thinking that they led normal lives.

Some humans who escaped the matrix (coma) or were born outside it, live in Zion (The last human city - deep beneath the earth). There goal is to disrupt the matrix and take back the world from the machines.

The reason Neo et al can perform special moves in the Matrix is because the matrix is a program and does not conform to the normal rules of Physics. All humans (in coma) in the matrix are confined to living within the contraints of the matrix and hence have limiting powers. The agents are machines that take human shape while in the matrix and can basically change anything to suit themselves.

Neo is just a normal guy outside the Matrix and cannot do anything special.

Hope this helps - anyone with a better handle can add to this.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

No offense, Hyzepher, but if you haven't seen Reloaded, then you really don't know what Darth Homer is talking about.

Darth Homer - I got the same reading from the film that you did.

As for your final question -
    I'd say real. But I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, it's still 50/50 in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

You really need to have seen the second movie, or at least have an idea of the plot in it to comment on it Hyzepher. You completely missed the point of the first post.

Darth Homer: Yeah, that's pretty much it, with a few extras.
    The story about the origins of the Matrix as told by Agent Smith to Morpheus in the first movie was pretty much correct, with a few differences.

The Architect created the Matrix so that humans would live out their virtual lives as batteries. Without stimulation the mind dies and the machines don't get any juice out of them defeating the point of farming them in the first place.

The problem was, that even with the Matrix consiting of something resembling the end of the 20th Century (the pinnacle of human history, apparently) the program was only 99% effective. To continue to exist humans need 'free will', and the matrix was created to give them the illusion of having that free will within the constraints of the system, but 1% of the population would not accept this 'reality' and attepted to break out of it.

Because of this the Architect created anothe rprogram within the matrix (Zion/The Real World) so that this 1% could have a more realistic impression of this 'free will', but Zion only contains them for so long before it must be destroyed/erased and then the whole system must be 'rebooted' with the architect using what he learned from the previous matrix to make the new one more perfect (to his way of thinking).

But to complete this reboot, the architect needs the basic code from The One to re-integrate into the system when it is restarted.

Neo etc. are all real people (apart from the Oracle who is a program designed to guide them on the 'correct' path to keep the whole system going for as long as possible) who are within the Matrix even when they are outside of it. Nobody has been outside of the matrix at all yet, only within a sub program inside the matrix, but from what I understand, that might well change in Revolutions (Hence the name, aside from being a word beginning with 'R').

So that's it for now, except for people who've got the game, who might have noticed a little cut scene in there:
    Movie clip/extra: Scabbly old guy in a subway/basement type thing, talking to Niobe just after they rescue Axel:

(Paraphrasing)
    Old Guy: 72 Hours
    Niobe: What?
    Old Guy: That's how long Zion lasted last time.
    Niobe: Who are you?
    Old Guy: Just a casual observer.

This tends to indicate that the timeframe in the Matrix/Zion is distored compared to reality (real reality), because the whole storyline has gone on for much longer than that already in the movies.

So either:
    * The history of Zion/The One/The Rebellion was implanted in the minds of the participants for the purposes of running the master program and the whole system only runs for 3 days or so.
    * The rebellion part of the program once started was finished in 72 hours in the last incarnation of the matrix.
    * or something else I didn't think of.

So it looks like it's all going to get a lot more interesting in the next one, but I really hope for gods sake they don't decide to turn it into the whole Dallas Bobby Ewing waking up the the shower/the whole thing was just a horrible dream thing because after all this, it would really be taking the p*ss out of all us faithful fans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Point taken - apologies.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Hyzepher wait untill you have seen reloaded , you will understand my post better when you have seen it.

Right so i get it ! Excellent story , cant believe some of the reviews ive been reading ...

• Advertisement

they always pan the good ones. trying to make themselves look all clever and intelligent by looking down on movies like this. basically they mock what they don't understand.

human nature, what can you do!

BTW, I didn't see it yet, I'm just a b*stard for wanting to know everything ASAP all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spock

I read the plot of the movie before i went to see it and as a result i haad no difficulty understanding it what so ever, go to it a second time and maybe it will become clear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

the matrix reloaded script is brillant imo..
    it takes thinking at time, rememebering what you learned in the first movie, but taken into account what u have been told in the 2nd movie..

that film ****en rocked lads..
    go see it!

if u dont understand it

go see it again..
    listen more closely to the dialog.

its the philosophical(Spelt incorrectly, couldnt be arsed spell checking it :-) dialog that makes the matrix 1 and 2 more then an action movie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The film means 100 times more if you have a farily high level understanding of computing and so on. While the story makes sense even if you dont, having an understanding of what an agent actually is and so on really drives the film home.

Alot of muppets dont seem to like the film, this is because they genuinely dont understand it. Does anyone agree?

DONT READ IF U AINT SEEN RELOADED YET

backdoor (to anyone who doesnt understand a software concept such as this)

people and the matrix

are like objects accepting parameters ..

like ppl still like it cause its action sequences are just out of this world..

but more puter orientated ppl, the more appreciation and enjoyment they will get out of this film..

i can imagine alot of ppl would have been lost with the architects inside track of the matrix program

totally agree man
    Draco: use spoilers you twat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yes, a lot of the people whinging about it genuinely didn't understand it - which I find laughable. Christ, if Keanu Reeves can understand it, how difficult can it be? :)

I saw this in a cinema in Hollywood with 1,996 Americans and three other Europeans. The yanks cheered through all the fight scenes (which is fine, I confess to the odd "w00t" when a particularly satisfying iron bar blow to the face was struck!), and then talked to each other and fidgeted through the talking scenes. No bloody wonder they didn't understand it!

The philosophical exposition scenes in the movie are extremely clever and well-written; they were superbly well acted by the three characters who had to carry them (
    Morpheus, the Oracle and the Architect, and to a lesser degree the Merovingian
    ). There's some mind-bending stuff there to get your head around, but it's all explained clearly and fairly simply - anyone who genuinely doesn't understand it wasn't paying attention. Anyone who thinks it's a rubbish plot either wasn't paying attention, or has their head up their backside and is desperate to prove how clever and cool they are. Tossers :)

GUI pats Shinji on the back, respect brother couldnt have said it better

i just dont want ppl dissing this film because they aint got the attention span or the understanding what is exactly going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

I disagree with what you drew from the matrix: reloaded.
    Watch it again.
    Think Debugging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

By the way, I'm entirely convinced that Neo only took the first door at the end of the movie because Keanu was still trying to work out the plot of Speed and hadn't realised there were actually two doors. When the Architect finished talking, I fully expected Neo to go "What.... you mean there's a bomb? On the bus!?" and run out the door in a panic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    As for your final question -
    I'd say real. But I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, it's still 50/50 in my mind.
    Actually, I just found some evidence to back this up..
    The Architect: "I am the Architect. I created the matrix. I've been waiting for you. You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wolf359

I've seen reloaded and I could'nt fully understand the ending, untill I read Homer's post and I must say it clears a lot of confusion up. Thanx Homer. I think it's a brilliant story line and I can't wait untill Revolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

ok first off the film frickin 0ned!! a tad bit confusing but will soon fix that by goin to see it a few more times!!

also
    whats the deal with noe and the sentinals?? is it coz they are still in a sub program of the matrin thet he was able to stop em??

the virus twins were also quite good aswell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Yeah banbutcher you got it
    Neo is now the only one that knows everyone is still inside the matrix so he was able to use his powers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

saw the film last night.

to any1 that hasent make sure you sit through to the end of the credits to see the trailer for revolutions.

by the way.
    am I right in reading Agent Smith as a corrupt program/virus who is infecting the matrix (replicating himself)trying to destroy neo in doing so destroying the matrix, because of his hatred for humans and the way they smell (ref film 1)despite the additional downfall of the machines he will achieve his own personal goal at least, of eradicating the humans. which is another problem for the architect and adds to the need for the reeboot,visavi if the agent kills neo then the matrix will be fecked. it was a nice touch the way neo was talking to the leader of zion at the engineering deck, coming to the realisation that machines need them and they need machines.

Now that neo knows that they are still in the matrix is the next one going to basically see the battle spread to zion with him bending reality and eventually the humans take over the matrix instead of beating it. or will they strive to get out, or will they change our perceptions once again.

last thing, the profecy still is coming true, despite what the film told us about neo's path and all, he had to come to the realisation that zion was part of the matrix as this was the only way they have to beat the machines from within. ref neo stopping a bunch of sentinals at the end.

oooo the 2 ghost guys were very cools aswell. plus the explinations of ufo's and ghost, greeat. and that truck crash and when the agent jumped onto the car and buckled it and and and and and....

my head is going to pop.

Good movie very good, when is revolutions coming out? summer?

• Advertisement

november 3rd or 7th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Saw it last night... confusing isn't the word... confusinc x 10 may be the word.

Great effects but nothing as effective or groundbreaking as the first one.

The fight scene - messy, like watching a PS2 game

best thing about going to see it... they show T3 trailer at the start

would that be a ps2000 u are playing?
    if so where can i get one.

i thought that it was class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Maybe I'm picking this up wrong but I have a theory.

This is a spoiler and I don't know how to hide it like the others so don't read it!! Can a mod make it hidden please?
    When Neo was running from the sentinels at the end he stopped and said "Wait, something has changed" and then he brought them down with powers he would use inside the Matrix. So to me it seems that instead of the crew getting back to Zion as they know it, somehow the Matrix has inserted them into a world that even though looks like Zion isn't actually Zion.

I hope that fight scene is better then the CGI one in Blade 2. That one kinda sucked.

Oh, well, I guess I'll find out on Sunday. Funny thing is, cos I'm such a nosy b*stard I probably know more than most of the people who've seen it (certainly more than the idiots who didn't bother to listen to the plot and just slated it based on some very limited exposure to the plot as a whole due to their own ignorance).

I know I'm going to love it because I always enjoy complicated plotlines and stuff that makes you think about what you are watching.

I'd certainly class myself as a movie fan rather than just a movie-goer at any rate.

I wait with baited breath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Wait all you like it's still gonna be disapointing

Originally posted by SickBoy
    Maybe I'm picking this up wrong but I have a theory.

This is a spoiler and I don't know how to hide it like the others so don't read it!! Can a mod make it hidden please?
    When Neo was running from the sentinels at the end he stopped and said "Wait, something has changed" and then he brought them down with powers he would use inside the Matrix. So to me it seems that instead of the crew getting back to Zion as they know it, somehow the Matrix has inserted them into a world that even though looks like Zion isn't actually Zion.

to make a spoiler u have to type [spoiler*] at the start and [/spoiler*] (without the *s)

as far as zion is concerned.
    zion is part of the matrix and always was, the reson neo turns and uses his powers against the sentinals is because he had just been informed by the architect of that fact. before he assumed like we did, that zion, and all of the underground tunnels were outside of the matrix not part of it. plus how else could an agent infect a guy and pass through.
    ;)

Agent Smith could still (in theory) infect someone in the real world the way he did.

The characters within the matrix are (paraphrasing morpheus from M1) An artificial/computer representation of their digital selfs. I.E. the computer form of the mind of the person in question.

They are uploading their consciousness into the matrix, and have to download it back again before they can leave (hence the whole rigmerole of the 'hardline' phones) otherwise if things got hairy in there they could just unplug themselves before anything bad happened.

Agent Smith infected Bane's (If I remember rightly) Avatar, i.e. his consciousness within the 'inner' matrix and then downloaded the infected consciousness back into Bane's body (bearing in mind that it's still just another avatar within a larger matrix, but like they say in the first one, all the laws of physics etc. still apply) thus infecting Bane with the Smith virus in the real (ok, not real, but for the purposes of this explanation) world, allowing him to operate outside of the inner matrix.
    It's all very complicated, I think I need a cup of tea and a lie down.

Draco: And while you're at it, figure out how to use spoiler tags.

I did, I just forgot! Anyway, I didn't see the film yet either. Does that mean I'm spoiling it for myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Just saw Reloaded this afternoon.
    Have to say i really liked it.
    Just a couple of things though, small gripes really.
    I'll spoiler them so as not to ruin it for anyone that hasn't seen the film.
    Ok, first one: Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Neo have all of the metal implants removed from his body when he was first disconnected from the matrix? I distinctly remember a scene where they were pulled out with a pliars and dropped into a metal tray. If that's true, why did he have all those implants in his arms and back again?

Second: On the whole the effects were excellent. I thought the fight scene with the cloned Agent Smith's was excellent apart from a couple of close ups that were clearly CG. There were some other scenes where you could see Neo's face and it was obvious he was CG. Also some of the textures on his coat didn't look all that great. But i won't be too hard on them, it was still a hell of a lot better than CG i've seen in other films.

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Saw it last night and it was indeed an amazing film. This year looks good for films :)

Anyway on to the film questions
    Is the Matrix a sub programme of the Zion programme or is it the other way around?

Since it is possible to move great distances in The Matrix by using backdoors do you think it is possible to do the same in Zion since it is also a programme and could it be possible to switch from Zion to the Matrix programme without haveing to connect in to the Matrix?

If Neo decides to kill himself won't it screw up the improvement of the Matrix which was the reason for his existance, thus possibley saveing future generations from absolute control by the machines, kind of a Jesus thing going on.

The Architect says that each reboot they take X males and Y Females to populate the Zion, does this mean that they disconnect those people from the Matrix programme and put them back in to the Zion programme?

Finally, what do you think the real world looks like, perhaps the world featured in Zion?

Sorry about so many questions

Oh and I think I will go see it again this weekend.

Advertisement