Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

pings and connection speeds seem to have stablized again over the weekend......tk god for that.or maybe it was utv or nevada ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

The test number 0111222333 is not working again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Ok i'm not sure if I should post this here or in Games Half-Life so in the hopes that one thread will be amalgamated into the other without offending anyone. Here goes.

Oceanfree and Elive connections are what I used to use for my Gaming on
    Most servers and I averaged a 70 to 100 ping on every server (but never over, on most if not all of them) Since joining UTV / UTVip 3 months ago, I can no longer play on any of the servers I use. Ping times average between 200 and 400 and most of the time I just get the ‘Warning Connection Problem’ and the game just freezes up and I time out. Whenever I disconnect from UTV / UTVip and use Elive / Oceanfree / Esat or even Eircon everything works fine. So I got one of those fancy new modems in order to try elevating the problem. (because UTVip said there were problems with Firmware etc. on older modles ) I installed it and it’s even worse than Eircon???
    UTV / UTVip are and have been the worst for connection for Gaming I have ever seen. Ok they save me loads of € on my phone bill. But not being able to Game on most servers is a big price to pay. So as a Gamer that spends most of his time online
    Playing Games like CS / DOD / TFC / Half-Life / NS etc etc etc I am asking Utv to actually do something about Ping Times. Please don’t whinge about its Eircons fault,
    Its Nevada’s fault etc. just damn well do whatever you have to do to fix the problem and be done with it. Am I alone in this or are there other ISDN users having the same problems?

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

To follow up on my last post, I saw the ad again today. While the voice-over says unlimited access the text on screen says 'Virtually' unlimited access.

OHP, I'm in the same boat. ISDN and lousy pings. Luckily for me although I get high pings(200-250) on the main servers I play on I dont suffer the 'connection problems'. Its only just playable though. On most other servers however I get unplayable pings ie 400+ and connection problems.

I was thinking of replacing my eicon diva serial TA with an internal but you seem to be saying that your pings actually got worse? I might save myself some dosh then and not bother:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

On the subject of of gamers pings...
    Please don’t whinge
    I don't recall seeing anything in their TOS about ping times - maybe i'm wrong. For those of us who don't find it necessary to measure our browsing speed to the nearest millisecond, UTV are spot on.

If UTV aren't suitable for your requirements then they're not suitable for your requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

although the pings did improve slightly for a couple of days a few weeks ago the pings are as bad as ever now.
    avereage ping on isdn to jolt & blueyonder being 160 - 200 on
    a good day.
    :(

I find Utv playable on barrysworld with a server with less than 7 ppl on it. Any more and my ping is in the 150 - 450 mark. I usually disconnect from utv and then connect to indigo 1891 to play important league games ..... which isn't ideal since the whole point of me getting utv was to get partial flat rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

I would just like to wish everyone at Boards a very happy Christmas and New Year. In particular, we appreciate all of the feedback (good and bad) regarding our UTVip service as it has helped the product to evolve over the past few months.

We look forward to the launch of our FRIACO and Broadband products throughout Ireland in the early part of 2003.

Once again, have a great holiday period.

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not THAT would be a nice present. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

We look forward to the launch of our FRIACO and Broadband products throughout Ireland in the early part of 2003.
    Does Scott know something we dont? Broadband product throughout Ireland in early 2003?? As legbreaker said "that would be a great present" but I feel that Scott and UTV already gave me a great present. They cut my bi-monthly phone bill from €500 to €170!! Thanks guys and a Merry Christmas and a very prosperous new year to you too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

I second that !

have a good one guys and a VERY VERY prosperous new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

There's no advertising better then that of a happy customer, and all over the boards UTVIP users are encouraging others to sign up for your service. Job well done.
    I would just like to wish everyone at Boards a very happy Christmas and New Year. In particular, we appreciate all of the feedback (good and bad) regarding our UTVip service as it has helped the product to evolve over the past few months.
    Happy Christmas to you too Scott, as soon as that broadband service is available you'll have one more customer here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cancelme

If you're looking for off-off-peak (11pm onwards) then pretty good and very cost effective. Early evening its ****.

Email support not great but they do answer most queries.

Phone support from fair to good - local call not premium prices. And I've yet to hear musak.

At least they seem to make a genuine effort to provide a service. Good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

3-9 PM Irish Time Mon-Fri is the worst time to use the Net owing to global congestion and transatlantic traffic. Thats the way is always was........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Does UTV have any idea when they will have a FIRRCO product?

How does UTV see the flat rate situation now developing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by Cork
    Does UTV have any idea when they will have a FIRRCO product?

How does UTV see the flat rate situation now developing?
    At present we are working towards having a FRIACO offering at the earliest possible date (end of June 2003) assuming eircom compliance with the new directives and a sensible wholesale price.
    In answer to the second part we will have to wait and see what develops in response to the pricing, terms and conditions and timescales from the directive.

and here I was thinking that this thread was well and truly dead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

*bump*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Muck
    3-9 PM Irish Time Mon-Fri is the worst time to use the Net owing to global congestion and transatlantic traffic. Thats the way is always was........

not much congestion here, everyone on their 56k's :D:D

Originally posted by Muck

IMHO Global congestion is no argument. In my case its virtually impossible to use up 150hours on uvip whereas I could and have easily achieved that and more with some others such as oceanfree, dellnet etc. I have the crazy phonebills to prove it. If I connect first time to uvip it's a shock.
    Also last night if my uvip connection was to be believed google, boards.ie and many others where down but thesun was fine. So it would seem if you stay within the cache it's ok. I often get an apparent connection but no downloads.

It's also a worry that uvip have in the past chosen to limit what sites their subscribers could view. Who's to say this policy is gone.

Still it is cheap and due to being a long time surfer with irish isp's my bullsh*t tolerance is high. uvip at least show potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by cancelme
    Also last night if my uvip connection was to be believed google, boards.ie and many others where down but thesun was fine.

Did you try running traceroutes to these sites? It sounds to me that they're might have been router problems somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Have to say I have had on rare occasions the same problem with vianetworks or indeed any ISP I have used todate.

I didn't traceroute them BUT i did try out multiple bookmarks of popular sites out of interest all over the world bbc.co.uk, thehun, etc - big sites. All dead except for the sun! odd indeed. I will next time I recommend sam spade for this (www.samspade.org/ssw/) . I actually don't believe it was a router problem as oceanfree loaded the same history of sites perfectly. Oddly again with uvip my google toolbar was able to sometimes report the pagerank of sites though my browser was unable to load them. Real media is sometimes impossible to load at other times it streams just fine.

What makes matters worse is I have NEVER had any real connectivity problems and only because DellNet ('free' with a dell pc) seem to be transferred to someone else & my phonebill heartache did I consider uvip.
    I bought a new v.92 modem because the uvip support could not explain why my CONEXANT HCF P85 could only get 33.6 though I had always got 48 thru dellnet. After research/newsgroup questions I found soft modems were sh*t. (I won't be buying a dell again after some indian suggested I go back to ME.:eek: ) Believe me I want uvip to work for me.

Right now at 11:21pm I've got a nice enough 48 connection however after work at around 7:30 I could not connect to uvip so I had to dial up oceanfree. $$$!

Anyway I hope mr.utv isn't all marketing BS and if thats the case let him destroy the opposition with superior service and constant improvements not just because he can buy tv ads cheap. 'A lot done a lot more to do' as the king of the sharks might say. I'll certainly stick with them for a 3 month trial period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Every ISP has their isolated problems.

UTV for me has been nigh on flawless.

Originally posted by PiE
    Every ISP has their isolated problems.

UTV for me has been nigh on flawless.

What PiE said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

[completely irrelevant bits moved to the Recycle Bin. Big boys don't fight]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

I bought a new v.92 modem

U been having these probs since then?? Far as i know some servers dont support the v.92 standard yet. Try adding the string AT&F+MS=V90 to your modem setup before connecting and see if it helps.

Doesn't really sound like a problem on UTV's side tbh, if it was then a lot more ppl would have had probs loading sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Have to agree with cancelme on this one.
    I had same problems last week especially.
    When a connection was established, no web site was pingable at all. Hanging up and re-dialling twice with established connections still did not resolve it, same problem
    Re-dialling another 2 times gave an TCP error 31 and then *always* on the 3rd attempt it connected ok with pingable sites.

This sequence was almost followed relgiously usually in the 7pm-9m bracket on weekdays. Only happened last week though, has been ok since. Sorta weird ! :confused:

[mod edit: if you have a problem with a poster or a post, the solution is to PM Dustaz or me and one of us will deal with it. Starting it again is not a solution]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm pleased to announce that I've finally found myself in a position to sign up for UTVip. It was the first site I went to this morning when the Eircom engineer left my gaff after reinstalling "HiSpeed".

heh

adam

Advertisement