Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Kennett
    What actually happened? :confused:

As soon as I tried to dial in I got a hardware failure message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

No issues with the service from me; better pings than my previous €ircon connection, and a much better value.

All I'm interested in is "piece of mind" that €ircon/UTVip haven't fuc|<ed up when it comes to the bill. I'll know, for certain, when my next €ircon bill lands in late Jan 2003. If it doesn't equal circa 65.88 excl. VAT, I'll be taking the matter up with other colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by LFCFan

Just remove the string and reboot.
    Check http://www.modemhelp.net/quickref.shtml for one that'll work with your modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by LFCFan

My apologies. I'm not actually sure what that string does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

s48 is compression setting ISTR so you turned on some soft of compression between your modem and UTV.....and maybe toild it not to fallback if its non-negotiable.

s48=7 may get you back on again and then you can fiddle with compression later

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Lunar superstar

This has to b the worst package ever

can never get online

and

i can never stay online i'm off to iol to get me a NETSMART option

heard no complaints about those guys yet!!

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Muck
    s48 is compression setting ISTR so you turned on some soft of compression between your modem and UTV.....and maybe toild it not to fallback if its non-negotiable.

s48=7 may get you back on again and then you can fiddle with compression later

M

W2 is the command I was looking for. Thanks anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by eth0_
    Yeah, if your number isn't provisioned by UTV/nevada, then you're being charged by Eircom whether you have 13513 in front of the number or not. Best ring UTV they can tell you if you're set up, once and for all...
    Test number and 13513

During an upgrade on our telecoms providers' network there was a problem with the 0111222333 test number and an inability to get through to it for a variety of users - this has now been fixed and if CPS'ed or dialling 13513 first you should hear the message.

On the use of 13513 - if you use this prefix and are activated for our service you will be billed by UTV Internet - this is for both CPS customers and those awaiting CPS to be completed. If you are not activated on our network the call will fail, you will not be charged by eircom and that is why we have included the prefix, as a safeguard.

With regard to billing we are aware of some customers, both CPS and 13513 prefix users, who have been billed by eircom for calls to our 1890 number. We are currently working with the ODTR on these issues as, by billing for these calls, eircom is operating outside of the framework agreement for CPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

thanks for the update malcolm, the test number is now working for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Looking for a driver update at the moment as advised by the UTV support

anyone know where I can get latest driver for 56K PCI Voice Modem SF-1156IV+ R9A ?

But even without that I've noticed a steady improvement over the last couple of days

THe only comment I would make is that as soon as a problem like this is identified some documentation of it should be put on the UTVip website, just a link to a page with something like "Update for customers using ISDN and v90 modems"

I'm sure you can find all this on the newsgroup but you have to trawl several threads to get a complete picture and something like I have suggested would be more user-friendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

I updated me Trust 56k PCI modem to the V.92 driver and it now works a treat.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by pork99
    unfortunately the UTVip probs seem to be due to an issue with upgrading to accommodate V92 modems which seems to screw up anyone using V90 or ISDN as far as I can tell

Just thought i'd pop in and say i'm using a good ole v.90 Hayes Accura 56k and haven't had ANY connections problems since signing up for UTV/IP.

Any.

At all.

That's zero problems, people.

ehhh.... carry on.

Originally posted by pete
    haven't had ANY connections problems since signing up for UTV/IP.

Any.

At all.

That's zero problems, people.

ehhh.... carry on.

ROFL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

Me..who has tried all the time to praise utvip ,has found that over the last few night my ping to game servers has been bad...and v.unstable..has anyone else found this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by jonski
    has anyone else found this ?
    I've stayed quiet for too long. This is my ping, consitent all through my UTVip period (from day 1 with UTVip):

Pinging www.boards.ie [195.218.115.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.218.115.65: bytes=32 time=145ms TTL=59
    Reply from 195.218.115.65: bytes=32 time=180ms TTL=59
    Reply from 195.218.115.65: bytes=32 time=177ms TTL=59
    Reply from 195.218.115.65: bytes=32 time=175ms TTL=59 Ping statistics for 195.218.115.65:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 145ms, Maximum = 180ms, Average = 169ms

Whether this is good or bad I don't know, but it's what i got since signing up with UTVip. With Eircom I got lower pings, but since I'm not a gamer I guess I don't care much about it... Should I?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If it's 56k it's ok, for ISDN its rubbish.

And no, if you're not a gamer, don't worry bout it. :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by PiE
    If it's 56k it's ok
    That's me. And I can't say it worries me too much. But looking at other's ping's, I kind of get worried - shouldn't I have similiar pings? I get connected at a quarter of the price - I'm not complaining :-) From € 215 to € 65 is fuel enough for me ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I logged something tonight that has been happening since i started with UTV. When i connect i usually connect at 49333bps, 50666bps or 52000bps. This usually give an average download of 4.7KBs to 5.1KBs. However i find that after and hour or two the connection will suddenly dip, always to a level giving about 3.7KBs. Im using a Lucent Win Modem v8.22 latest v.92 drivers (it happened with 5.75 v.90 driver too). I never noticed behavior like this when i was on IOL or Eircom so have to asume its a utv problem.

If its some sort of bandwidth throttle thats in place please remove it, or if anyone else has had it or knows it to be hardware please tell me. Ive posted a graph from WinMX below showing the dip which occured at approx. 5:54AM.

.download.jpg

One more thing ive noticed. That if the connection is left idle for about 8 to 10 mins it disconnects! Ive no auto disconnect enabled and this only happens connected to UTV. Please drop it or lengthen the drop to a reasonable time like 30 to 45 minutes.

p.s. I forgot to add that if i disconnect then reconnect the connection return to its previous speeds.

Thx.
    ________
    Dotsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Dotsie~tmp

One more thing ive noticed. That if the connection is left idle for about 8 to 10 mins it disconnects! Ive no auto disconnect enabled and this only happens connected to UTV. Please drop it or lengthen the drop to a reasonable time like 30 to 45 minutes.

At the outset, UTVip stated they were having a disconnection time for inactivity. The only problem is there's a lot of difference in what you term a reasonable time and what they do. If I'm not mistaken the disconnect is somewhere between 10-15 minutes.

I'd be amazed if they double/triple that for you.

I don't know anyhthing about them throttling. Did you try ringing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by pepsiman
    But looking at other's ping's, I kind of get worried - shouldn't I have similiar pings?

It really won't make any difference if you're not playing Quake etc online. Any seasoned gamer will be doing a few things to lower their ping (like changing packet sizes for a start) that you're just not doing (nor I when I mention it). Won't make any difference to you at all. There are quite a few web sites to give you exhaustive lists of pointers on pings should you take it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

UTV have already doubled the disconnect time, it was 5mins at first but they raised it to 10 at the request of some of the members here.

Can't say I see the need for it to be doubled again, 30mins of idle time is just a waste of your 150hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I've been getting 250-300ms pings since I got the service,and its starting to become tiresome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dood

I logged something tonight that has been happening since i started with UTV. When i connect i usually connect at 49333bps, 50666bps or 52000bps. This usually give an average download of 4.7KBs to 5.1KBs. However i find that after and hour or two the connection will suddenly dip, always to a level giving about 3.7KBs. Im using a Lucent Win Modem v8.22 latest v.92 drivers (it happened with 5.75 v.90 driver too). I never noticed behavior like this when i was on IOL or Eircom so have to asume its a utv problem.

Ive got the exact same problem since day 1 with utvip - thought i was the only one. I usually connect at 45.2kbps and get a download rate of about 5k per sec, but after about an hour and a half it drops to 3k and wont go any higher. The only fix is to reconnect each time.
    My modem is a Diamond SupraExpress 56ePro with latest v.92 drivers also. This effect doesnt happen with IOL, Elive or Oceanfree - only on UTVIP.
    Its really frustrating - I rang utv tech support and they hadnt a clue, suggested waiting until v.92 was up and running. Im thinking that UTV have upgraded their servers to v.92 now but the problem still remains. Looks like ill be heading to NetSmart so...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I've also had that problem, its really noticeable if your playing a game online.

I use all seeing eye to browse servers, in ASE you can test your connection, right now my upstream bandwidth is 25862 bits/s and my downstream is 39767 bits/s.

When the drop happens nine times out of ten it causes me to disconnect from the server I'm playing on. If I then check my connection it says my downstream bandwidth has dropped to 25000'ish bits/s.

I've changed modem and used diffrent ISPs but it still happens, I'm thinking its something to do with the line or the exchange.

bandwidth.jpg

I've never had any problems like you guys are having. I'm on isdn. The bandwidth always stays the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I think this problem may be affecting many people but they just dont know it. You have to use 'system monitor' or some other proram while downloading to see the change as the 'connected at xxxxxbps' doesnt change.

Martin could we have a response on this issue. I imagine you have the ability to moitor the rate at which your modems communicate with ours and might be able to see this drop in bandwith on logs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Rez-N-8

My pings are really bad to i'm getting an average of 130 on most servers i play on. I used to get 60-70 with oceanfree on 64k isdn i'm getting fed up with nothing being done about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

would upgrading my modem ( lucent win modem ) drivers ( im using the 600 ) make any difference , I had to log off utvip and onto errorcom tonight for a war , my ping was brutal .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by ando
    bandwidth.jpg

I've never had any problems like you guys are having. I'm on isdn. The bandwidth always stays the same

At the risk of looking like a dork Ando. How did you do that test? I never seen it like that before?

OHP

• Advertisement

Originally posted by OHP
    How did you do that test?

In the gaming program "The all seeing eye", its in the network section of the options!

Advertisement