Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

Ando do u know where i can get such a programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Professional spammers send thousands of emails.... most of which are bounced back as invalid addresses, but every once and a while they get a valid email address. I suspect thats whats happened, even though these guys have never given out their email addresses to anyone.

Ishindar: http://www.pclightning.com/kia24st.zip

I havent tried it yet, but it sounds as if it will do the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I got what sounds like the same spam mail from PhoneDirect today - It came into NOT to a utvinternet.com address, but to my private email address on a seperate domain which I had used when registering on UTV - There is no way they got this by 'guessing' - It looks like somebody had access to the UTV registration database and passed it onto the spammer(s). They requested a 'return receipt' as well, which fortunately I was able to suppress. The worrying thing is that once the address list gets out 'into the wild', it will get passed from one spammer to another.

As Julia Roberts said to the snotty shop lady in Pretty Woman.

"Big Mistake [UTV], Huge, Huge"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Actually, I've just checked the message headers to find that the message came into my @utvinternet.com address, not my private address - slighly less worrying than I originally thought.

Apologies if I misled anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

i used to always connect at either 50666 or 52000 until this weekend now it's 48000 , this happened to anyone else on utv.

I don't really remember having this happening on other isp's.

I would have just gone and e-mailed support but i did this already twice and got no response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Hmm, for what it is worth I'm getting slightly 'better' speeds-21600 bps tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Put down the Shovel

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I can't get onto UTVi at all for the last 48 hours... "The remote computer did not respond." :(

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Had problems yesterday dialing 1890 numbers and 1800 numbers which, as you can imagine, hampered my internet experience somewhat.

Called Utv, was directed to Eircom.
    Called Eircom, was directed to Nevada telecom.
    Was given a number by a nice (!!) guy in Eircom for Nevada
    Turned out to be a number for some other place entirely (someones desk phone in fact)
    Got the number for Nevada and they managed to sort it out today after being told that i should be speaking to UTV.

Not overly pleased with having to mess around like that. This could of been a lot easier if, on the UTV faq, they mentioned that any problems with incoming call problems should be directed to Eircom and any outgoing call problems should be directed to UTV/Nevada. Of course, their support personell should know this too...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I'm unable to connect to the internet using utvip at present, right now im connecting thru eirscum :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

i'm getting alot of problems too these days,

especially connection speeds,

when i dial into eircom's servers i get 50.6

utv was the same

but as of last week its max 46.6

i contacted them and i was told they did some updating or whatever, and some customers had to update their modem drivers , mine is as up to date as it can get ..

then contacted them back again for them to maybe see if they can get me a particular one that will maximise the allocated speeds,

they emailed me back a site to get drivers???

how crap is that , the problem still isn't sorted out,

i'll probably send them another mail tonight:rolleyes:

I'm sorted now but haven't had any response from an email complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by mbroaders
    This could of been a lot easier if, on the UTV faq, they mentioned that any problems with incoming call problems should be directed to Eircom and any outgoing call problems should be directed to UTV/Nevada. Of course, their support personell should know this too...

I would have thought that was obvious....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Anyone else think this should be moved to Net/Comms? While important to the individuals concerned, it seems to me like typical problems with ISPs and there's a forum for that. Same applies to the Esat's Net Smart service.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Ops Double post:D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Anyone else think this should be moved to Net/Comms? While important to the individuals concerned, it seems to me like typical problems with ISPs and there's a forum for that. Same applies to the Esat's Net Smart service

Definetly most of the posts here now are stupid. Half the problems people menction are not utv's fault. Anyways I a happy customer. Its been prefect on isdn for me, no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Its not that the posts are stupid (they are important to those concerned) it is that with any dial-up ISP service there will be those with problems and therefore this thread will just go on and on. The original purpose of the thread which was to announce a new service has now expired. It is now just taking up room in the IOFFL forum.

Sorry, you're right Skeptic, it should be in nets / comms. The reason I posted here is because I know the UTV guys are active on this topic. In future I'll keep my posts on nets / comms. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I suggested this on the 11th but nobody responded. I definately think this thread has run it's course and any UTV technical stuff should be in Net/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by eth0_
    I would have thought that was obvious....?

What exactly should be obvious eth0? That all incoming call problems should be brought up with Eircom and outgoing call problems brought up with Nevada? That certainly would not be obvious to the casual user. Or is it obvious that UTV should know where the responsibilty lies. That i agree with. I should never of been asked to call Eircom.

Also, i agree that none of this should be on this thread anymore. I only brought it up here as i know UTV guys read this thread too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

I only brought it up here as i know UTV guys read this thread too. [/B]

Thats the point really.....we know that the utv guys read this thread.....and more than likely not any other.
    So we get response from other's who are having the same problems and maybe from someone from utv.I have posted 2 or 3 times in nets/comms and got few if any replies........not trying to push the point here , but this thread was left run and run while it was bringing in more ppl to this board , making them see what was going on , to kill it while its still helping ppl doesn't seem fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Set up a "Commercial Interaction" forum for UTV and close this thread.

Would make the most sense to me. UTV would more likely read their own forum than Net/Comms.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by TmB
    Set up a "Commercial Interaction" forum for UTV and close this thread.

Would make the most sense to me. UTV would more likely read their own forum than Net/Comms.

- Dave.

I'd agree with that one, even the stuff that ends up in Net/Comms is pretty much UTV specific issues i.e the guys from UTV would be best answering the questions (IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I posted an observation on a peculiar background noise that happens when I dial the 1890-927-161 UTVip number on the Nets / Comms site, but haven't had any responses at all. I'm thinking the noise might be another symptom of why it is so difficult to connect to UTVip.

To get to Nets / Comms, look at the top of this page under the ad ("Knickers Again?!") at the line of discussion groups, and point to Technology then go down the scroll to the fifth line, Nets / Comms and there you are.

Originally posted by TomF
    I posted an observation on a peculiar background noise that happens when I dial the 1890-927-161 UTVip number on the Nets / Comms site, but haven't had any responses at all.

Like I said in the last post, that problem you're having is a UTV specfic problem. There's very little anyone can really suggest you do other than contact UTV.
    With stuff like that you're probably best posting it here or else in a Commercial Interaction forum if one's ever setup, the UTV guys seem to read this board more than Net/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

My UTVip has worked a treat :D PIngs are better than what they were at the start and i've cut my internet phone bill by like , um 300 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hmm... got Eircom phone bill today, there were a couple of €'s Net charges on it, presumably from when I went over the 150hrs and switched to Indigo.

Shouldn't I be billed by UTV for those charges, seeing as they're my phone company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Anyone else think this should be moved to Net/Comms? While important to the individuals concerned, it seems to me like typical problems with ISPs and there's a forum for that. Same applies to the Esat's Net Smart service.
    Just my 2c worth but here goes.
    This thread could be divided into many places Net/Comms etc etc etc. But if it is divided into one of those places one or more Mods are going to decide about a posting that has been placed there and kick / boot / ban or delete a post or person for not being in the right place? So far everything from set-up to downfall has been discussed in this topic. It’s a place everyone knows about and it’s a place where everyone feels comfortable to post and discuss all sorts of issues regarding UTV. Mods read it / UTV support reads it / general users read it. In fact everyone I know has been pointed to this thread for one reason or another. So I suggest that what has become a meaningless post to you should be left alone to be added to by the people it actually means something too.

OHP

Originally posted by PiE
    Hmm... got Eircom phone bill today, there were a couple of €'s Net charges on it, presumably from when I went over the 150hrs and switched to Indigo.

Shouldn't I be billed by UTV for those charges, seeing as they're my phone company?

Nah, Eircom still bill you for the 1891 numbers. I'm on Esat for my phone and still pay Eircom for dialling into Indigo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just as I was logging on to these forums I heard an ad for UTVip on the tv in the other room.
    Unlimited off-peak access for a flat monthly fee.......available all over Ireland.....
    Have they gotten rid of the 150hr monthly allowance and no one has told me or are they being a little bit 'naughty' in their advertising??

For the record I'm an extremely happy UTVip customer. (wouldn't you be if your average total bi-monthly bill from Eircom was €500 and two months bill from Utv incl eircom isdn rental came to €170!!)

Advertisement