Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PoolBall

I have been looking at this thread for a few days now and i see alot of people b**ing about not been able to get a stable connection to UTV internet since the upgrade.

I had the same problem Sunday morning, so I searched about on the net using another ISP, I finally got an up to date V92 modem driver for my conexant V92 modem. Ever since my connections have been much faster and I have not had one droped connection.

So before you give the UTV guys a hard time, update your driver if one is avaiable, or dump your modem if one is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well if you read the thread properly you would have realised that most of us having problems are using ISDN :rolleyes:

V92 is of no use to us ! Now crawl back under your rock :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

And i'm using v90! The problem is intermittant and plenty of ppl with ISDN are having this problem too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by gandalf
    Fair play to him he rang grumpy old me in work :)

Can anybody remember the last time one of eircoms hired goons rang YOU to help you fix a problem?

No?

Let's forget that using UTV is saving you sh*tloads for a moment, that customer service alone is worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Logging on problems?

This problem has arisen with me since UTVip upgraded some nights ago. My ordinary modem is now having to dial quite a few times before it eventually logs on to UTVip, and I have not got a clue whats happening.

Maybe, it is only a temporary glitch. However, I personally would not leave Eircom completely out of the picture.

Just my 2cs worth.

Paddy20.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by Paddy20
    My ordinary modem is now having to dial quite a few times before it eventually logs on to UTVip, and I have not got a clue whats happening.

Actually, I have a similar problem, but I'm not on UTV just yet, I'm on Elive. However, I've been informed by my mother that if you dial into Eircom (which I don't really use any more), it connects first time. I'm not sure what's going on there...

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Kennett
    Actually, I have a similar problem, but I'm not on UTV just yet, I'm on Elive. However, I've been informed by my mother that if you dial into Eircom (which I don't really use any more), it connects first time. I'm not sure what's going on there...

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if €ircon had made it so every ISP would have a problem connecting to the internet except themselves so people would go back to them. Another conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

it wouldn't surprise me if €ircon had made it so every ISP would have a problem connecting to the internet except themselves so people would go back to them

wouldnt it be beautiful if they were caught doing that? And caught in very spectacular, public, undeniable fashion? (a man can dream dammit!)

unfortunately the UTVip probs seem to be due to an issue with upgrading to accommodate V92 modems which seems to screw up anyone using V90 or ISDN as far as I can tell

Originally posted by pork99
    wouldnt it be beautiful if they were caught doing that? And caught in very spectacular, public, undeniable fashion? (a man can dream dammit!)

unfortunately the UTVip probs seem to be due to an issue with upgrading to accommodate V92 modems which seems to screw up anyone using V90 or ISDN as far as I can tell

I am using a V92 modem and I have noticed a change in the time it takes to dialup. Not spectaculary great time difference but noticeable. All I need now is some Modem on Hold Software and I'll be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by ando
    can some of you please try calling 0111222333 and see if you get a recorded message?

*cough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by LFCFan
    48 Hours Midweek downloading 760MB with Eircom 'Free' Internet Access = €82
    48 hours getting your mate in England to download it, package it and post it to you = €3

I like your thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by pork99

i'd wouldn't say any customers with V.90 or ISDN are having trouble as such. I suspect that software modems are the problem here. Winmodems is what they are usually called, I myself have an external multitech hardware V.90 modem and unfortuneately there is no V.92 upgrade :( but i've not really had any problems apart from the weekend, but that wasn't a V.90 issue.

I cant understand why isdn people are having problems as they shouldn't have been affected IMO.

Paul ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Copied from our utv.support newsgroup :-

This afternnon, we've replaced the software that our primary
    NAS was running. Could the users that were having connect
    via modem and ISDN (particularly the zyxel issues) issues
    please retry on 13513 1890 927161 and post on this newsgroup
    (utv.cupport) whether this has made any difference to them
    connecting?

Thanks for the feedback, and apologies for these minor ongoing
    issues.

Appreciate any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

When I dial the 0111 222 333 test number I dont get the welcome message anymore either (engaged tone). Nothing has changed with my ISDN line, are all my calls being routed through eircom now and why is there so many of us recently having this problem?

Originally posted by Spoonman
    When I dial the 0111 222 333 test number I dont get the welcome message anymore either (engaged tone).

well at least I'm not on my own with this problem! I rang utv today, they seem to have got a lot of calls about this. I hope to god my internet calls are not going to eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mandiven

I'm on isdn and had no problems dialing in or connection probs etc. But instead of welcome message I'm getting that engaged tone when I ring 0111 222 333. OK I worried now, does this mean I getting charged by the eircom rats?

Originally posted by Mandiven
    But instead of welcome message I'm getting that engaged tone when I ring 0111 222 333. OK I worried now, does this mean I getting charged by the eircom rats?
    `

I dont know. Your supposed to be ok if you have the 13513 before the number you dial, but earlier on in this thread, there was someone who got billed from eircom even though they had the 13513 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mandiven

Hmm that has me more worried heh. I have 13513 before my number tho. As with any normal person I fear eircom bills so maybe if someone from UTV could post and put our minds at ease? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by ando
    `

I dont know. Your supposed to be ok if you have the 13513 before the number you dial, but earlier on in this thread, there was someone who got billed from eircom even though they had the 13513 :eek:

Yeah, if your number isn't provisioned by UTV/nevada, then you're being charged by Eircom whether you have 13513 in front of the number or not. Best ring UTV they can tell you if you're set up, once and for all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Well, for a while yesterday and today I used as my dialing code 13513-1890etc. (can't remember the UTVip number) and it seemed to make some difference, but over a period of time it was the same as without the 13513 prefix, so I went back to just the 1890 number.

I also tried dialing 0 111 222 333, and what I get is a fast beep, which sounds to me like what I get when I dial a bogus number, not a busy or engaged number.

I use an ordinary 56K twisted pair telephone line modem.

• Advertisement

Is anybody getting the recorded message ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ando nope its engaged everytime I tried it.

Sorry I meant to try it last night for you!

Gandalf.

np gandalf ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

0 111 222 333 = engaged tone. ??

Anyone know how long has this been going on? Naturally I haven't checked since my UTVip account was activated, and I heard the pre-recorded message.

Now that I think of it, my last eircom bill was way too high. :|

what's the command you add to your modem settings to force it to tell you the proper connection speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Conlai

Well now, since Utvs' ugrade of their network done "to offer increased resilience and stability to the service provided to our customers" I can't connect to Utv via ISDN or dialup.
    I rang their support on Monday night & straight off the girl tried to blame my TA & that I needed to upgrade my drivers/firmware. After finally getting her to understand that my TA was only 2 weeks old, installed using the latest XP drivers from the start & that it worked fine on all the other ISP's, she claimed that she would have to go & get a new number for me to connect to & she'd ring me back first thing next morning. I'm still waiting for the call.
    This is the third issue I've had with them & so far the service from them has been very poor.

Conlai
    (not a happy Utv camper)

what's the command you add to your modem settings to force it to tell you the proper connection speed?

I just checked my modem's settings yoke (I have a Motorola SM56). Anyhow, the string i put in was s48=28. I can't guarantee that this might be the right command, but surely it can't hurt to give it a try?

Oh dear. This thread has gone from 'I want UTVip to have my babies' to 'I want UTVip to DIE goddamnit'.

I am very happy with their service though and have had no problems worth talking about. Keep up the good work UTVip!

Originally posted by Kennett
    I just checked my modem's settings yoke (I have a Motorola SM56). Anyhow, the string i put in was s48=28. I can't guarantee that this might be the right command, but surely it can't hurt to give it a try?

well apart from breaking my modem altogether that worked a treat :mad:

Someone posted the command lately. I've looked for it though and can't find it. I'll keep looking I guess.

• Advertisement

well apart from breaking my modem altogether that worked a treat :mad:

Someone posted the command lately. I've looked for it though and can't find it. I'll keep looking I guess.

What actually happened? :confused:

Advertisement