Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best club in dublin (Vote)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

The only common theme between coppers and heaven is mingers, go team ThaGopher. I honestly cant believe you take 'will I get in' into account when youre thinking of places to go - Ive never been refused from a club in 3 years of being over age and the vast majority of times Im going out I'm already very drunk before I even get to a club.
    As long as you arent completely, unable to stand up drunk (and even then its not a guaranteed no entry), wearing a tracksuit or something else knackery or very outside a clubs average age (ie so theyll do the 21s, regulars only type excuse) you should never get refused from a club.

Since the topic came around last ehh Id probaly say I'd drop qbar from my list of possible venues when desperate in town, add in 21 instead. I quite like the layout there, crowd is usually okay too. Ive also grown to like barcode inspite/because of all the knackers there, its hilarious in an awful sort of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Tha Gopher wrote:
    And the door policy at the weekend can be tighter than a Loreto first year.

Having seen the type of people they let in to Spirit, I would f*cking hate to see the type they're refusing.
    If you have trouble getting in there....well,lets just say you must be one hella rough looking sh1t...and probably have a desperately strong Dublin accent.
    Like Rats from the flats, remember him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Dustaz, as said coppers is designed more like a large pub than a nightclub, therefore a bit of drunken pub rock is good for a very occasional change. As said the major drawback of the place is pushing people in at 2:45. Last time i was there we arrived at 1am, and it was already severely overcrowded. Its a good laugh but it is quite frankly a rather dangerous place H&S wise.

"As long as you arent completely, unable to stand up drunk (and even then its not a guaranteed no entry), wearing a tracksuit or something else knackery or very outside a clubs average age (ie so theyll do the 21s, regulars only type excuse) you should never get refused from a club."

Yes, everyone knows that Dublin bouncers are the most liberal in the world, its a universally accepted fact:rolleyes: The fact is, yes, I do have a tight haircut. Am I tough looking? Ive been told i "look like i can handle myself". Maybe thats the reason that in 19 years nobody has ever tried to mug me despite me not being particularly tall or broad (Im 10 stone). So yes, if a bouncer saw me and some UCD head with messy, rocker style hair, he may well think "the short haired guys more likly to be doing/selling coke". Thats life (and before someone points out "but you are" i barely touch the stuff. Overpriced and largely bollix)

Truth is, I refuse to let my hair grow just so I can walk into clubs. Whats the point in walking in if you cant pull a bird because you have sh1t hair? When my hair is tight cut, the next 3 week period I go out, Id say the pull rate is 40-75% (higher fresh after my trim, declines thereafter). So yes it is a catch 22- if my hair is too short, ill have trouble getting in. If its too long, Ill do fcuk all when I am in. Bollix

The country is great, they let you in bollixed :)

And Blut, have you ever actually been in Heaven? If you were, I imagine because you couldnt pull you branded every bird who goes there as either filthy Blanch skangers or stuck up Castleknock bitches.

Ah Castleknock, I hate the way I have to remember to say Im from there when Im in town. Occasionally I do a South Park Jimbo-at-the-Mexican-border bit where I accidently say Blanch when asked where Im from by bouncers.

Uusally followed by "not tonight lads":(

Yes, I have been in heaven and I have scored in heaven unfortunately. Never again. I have a fairly tight haircut, isnt ever longer than 2" and I've never had any issues getting in places. Some of my friends have even shorter - blade 4 all over or whatever and dont either. No offense but dublin bouncers ARE known for being easy going, try going out to decent clubs in New York or London and youll have far more issues. You must just look very rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

You regard blade 4 as tight?:confused: Blade 2 man myself (like it short, however i dont want to look like a walking egg with a blade 1 tbh)

I think the fact that at one stage a "Dublin bouncers are ****" thread seemed to be made weekly on AH pretty much rubbishes your point.

btw what was unfortunate about scoring there, out of curiousity?

• Advertisement

Most people would regard anything that involves shaving your head tight, average hair length is probably 2-3" long I'd say.

AH has plenty of knackers who've never gone out in places more sophisicated than temple bar or heaven in it, I'd hardly use that as something to support your point. Ask anyone who's gone out to decent places in other cities and they'll agree Dublin is very relaxed. Really, when Lillies is the "most exclusive" Ireland can offer you should know the country is a tad lacking.

What was unfortunate about scoring there was hearing the accent once I got off the dance floor and having to do a runner very very quickly. Nails on a chalkboard would have been less shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

I would go with Spirit purely for the music because it's my kind of music. In general I don't really go to clubs, just late bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Dustaz, as said coppers is designed more like a large pub than a nightclub, therefore a bit of drunken pub rock is good for a very occasional change.

Yes, the large dancfloor, light rig and cloakroom reminds ME of a pub too!:rolleyes:

All this talk of how tight is tight smacks of analness on a hitherto unheard of scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

gm1984 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    Is Capitalizing Every Word The Thing To Do There?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 d42dcore

i cant understand how people find bondi/92/anabels even remotely enjoyable, full of people so full of themselves you cannot even talk to them without punching them... drunken rich kids.
    we're not all drunk, we're not alll kids and we're not all rich. Please dont stereotype just cause of were we come from or were we went to school or go to school.and 92 and annabells are are pretty good clubs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just though I'd bump this to tell ye that I went to Barcode a few nights ago for my mate's birthday, and it is f*cking savage!!! :D

My favourite nightclub in Dublin at the moment. The bouncers interrogated us for a while, but we all got in. The place is huge, drinks are expensive but what are ya gonna do? There's an arcade upstairs with pool tables, games, etc. The girls are gorgeous. The male clientelle weren't particularly dodgey either (bouncers doing their job I suppose).

Highly recommended, and only cost us €20 in a taxi from Tallaght. Split that between 4 of us, sorted. Plan on returning in the near future :)

Tallaght to Clontarf for €20?!Nice, wouldn't mind getting that taxi driver!
    It's been a while since I was out in Barcode, might make a trip out there sometime soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

d42dcore wrote:
    we're not all drunk, we're not alll kids and we're not all rich. Please dont stereotype just cause of were we come from or were we went to school or go to school.and 92 and annabells are are pretty good clubs too.

92 has been closing at 1 after the 'incident' recently, so thats gone and anabels has been closed for club nights for over a year. My two regular clubs both ruined for similar reasons...fighting fools the lot of em

92 has been closing at 1 after the 'incident' recently, so thats gone and anabels has been closed for club nights for over a year. My two regular clubs both ruined for similar reasons...fighting fools the lot of em
    Yeah its unfortunate alright. Saturdays are gonna become the new Sundays in 92 I'd imagine.
    Pity about Anabels though.

What exactly happened at 92? I know about the closing early, was told it was because they lost their late license or something though, didnt know there was something behind it. Saturdays are already getting fairly young there, was there a lot during the summer and it was mostly a 3rd year ish college crowd.

Blut wrote:
    What exactly happened at 92? I know about the closing early, was told it was because they lost their late license or something though, didnt know there was something behind it. Saturdays are already getting fairly young there, was there a lot during the summer and it was mostly a 3rd year ish college crowd.
    From what I heard (wasn't there at the time), a fight went too far and someone died. Don't know if its just hearsay as I've read nothing in the news or other media about it but I've heard it from quite a few people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i 'believe'(i don't want people to take this as truth, i heard this from the bouncer so take it as you will). a guy got in a fight there, afterwards the guy got knocked around a bit outside and think he got some nasty head injuries(coma?). the parent of the kid argued that if the club closed when it was supposed to - 1 o'clock it would have been avoided, so police have been there each week at one, also bondi i recall the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

i 'believe'(i don't want people to take this as truth, i heard this from the bouncer so take it as you will). a guy got in a fight there, afterwards the guy got knocked around a bit outside and think he got some nasty head injuries(coma?). the parent of the kid argued that if the club closed when it was supposed to - 1 o'clock it would have been avoided, so police have been there each week at one, also bondi i recall the same night.
    Pretty much what I heard except I heard that the gaurds gave hassle because they stayed open after their liscence.

Ah, that actually makes a lot of sense, a guy I know about 6 weeks ago got in a fight when walking home from 92 and has been in a coma since...fairly horrific stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dunno what time it closed at, but when we went outside there was indeed a Garda riot van there. It seemingly acted as a good deterrent, cos there was no trouble.

Except some bloke took a p*ss on the back of the van! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anything decent tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Pav -> Palace on a Friday, tis yer only man.

Pity about the death of 92 Sundays, I'll always have fond memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I always fond it strange how the regular annabels/92ers called clubs i went to as kips because the music they played, yet they thought 92 and annabels were great.

Never been to 92, but i never seen as many fights in a club as i have in annabels. Absolute dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Went for a random slash off Grafton street (trying to find Ri Ra flummoxed isn't easy) and we heard pounding techno. We were completely stumped, thinking it was Lillies and turned the corner to find Cocoon facing us - is this place any good? The music seemed to be seriously on the level.

TramCo is piss poor, but you have ample opportunity to pour pints of water from the high balcony straight onto the bouncers, plus the coffee shop across the road is open till dawn more or less.

Redz... Messy. Seen some strange specimens in there but the Monday night with e2 drinks is almost an institution. Make sure you go in there with no less than a sixpack in you.

Spirit - Far too expensive if you don't have passes, impossible to score in but a good laugh and upstairs after midnight on the saturday is one of the better commercial dance sessions around.

Bruxelles - Good fun if you're in the mood for it. The Phil Lynott statue provides an automatic chat-up line but just watch out for the heavy metal nights on the left of the downstairs

TRIpod - Can't wait till this is open properly, had many good nites in RedBox.

Crawdaddys - Good fun, door policy can be slightly strict on some nights.

RIOs/Cobra - Worse than the bubonic plague. Same goes for Cats.

21 - Sick of it. When it's too young for a fresher (Transition Years go there on the saturday) you know the place is on its last legs. Getting a drink on a busy night is completely impossible. DJ there is a nice enough guy though.

Bondi - Level the ****ing place. Hard to commute into, hard to get back after it (I've often walked as far as Donnybrook looking for a taxi) and full of the most arrogant (and aggresive) people south Dublin has to offer. Only thing going for it is a nice smoking section and it's quite hard to get kicked out of, even if you try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

jimi_t wrote:
    but just watch out for the heavy metal nights on the left of the downstairs
    So that's be...every night then, yeah?

jimi_t wrote:
    Bondi - Level the ****ing place. Hard to commute into, hard to get back after it (I've often walked as far as Donnybrook looking for a taxi) and full of the most arrogant (and aggresive) people south Dublin has to offer. Only thing going for it is a nice smoking section and it's quite hard to get kicked out of, even if you try :)

luckily i live very close/ full of idiots/ its got a crap smoking section tbh and i've been kicked out and barred too many times to count

strange how people can have a complete opposite view of a place and stil HATE it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

jimi_t wrote:
    Cocoon facing us - is this place any good? The music seemed to be seriously on the level.

Cocoon is yet another of those beautiful people type of bars, frequented by brown thomas & bt2 staff as well as numerous other posers. Its owned by Eddie Irvine as far as i know. Tis actually a pretty nice spot and music is pretty good. as long as you can put up with the pretension its an alright spot

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Barcode all the way! ;)

BLEUGH

• Advertisement

Cocoon is yet another of those beautiful people type of bars, frequented by brown thomas & bt2 staff as well as numerous other posers. Its owned by Eddie Irvine as far as i know. Tis actually a pretty nice spot and music is pretty good. as long as you can put up with the pretension its an alright spot
    Cocoon is a good spot alright, but preferably for preclub drinks. The dance floor is tiny and the place gets extremely packed on the weekends. Makes getting a drink quite difficult, as well as just moving around in the place.
    That said, if you want to take it relatively easy, get there early and get a few seats and its quite comfortable to sit around in for the night.

Also, the drinks are quite expensive and the only beer they have on tap is Stella, with the rest bottled and charged at €6 per bottle.
    For a double vodka and redbull you're talking €18.

Advertisement