Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best club in dublin (Vote)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭zinc

I'm lookin for a club that plays real dance / trance music.. I'm sick of the usual RnB crap thats played everywhere, and need sumwhere i can actually go an dance.. any suggestions????

Also whats the playhouse like.. I live nearby but havent been yet..

Spirit will be play some pretty hard dance as well as the Redbox, check them out, make sure you get the right night with spirit however. Roger Sanchez is playing tonight, I might or might not be going but a friend won tickets off Spin or whatever.

Also the Playhouse is ok, less hassle, I presume youre from Tallaght, thus you can walk home. Other than that, bouncers are annoying, a lot of regular bull**** there but nothing too bad if you look well and whatnot. Worth a drop in on a boring Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

zinc wrote:
    Spirit will be play some pretty hard dance as well as the Redbox, check them out, make sure you get the right night with spirit however. Roger Sanchez is playing tonight, I might or might not be going but a friend won tickets off Spin or whatever.

Roger Sanchez should be class tonight. I'm tempted to go but I'll be there tomorrow night so one night in the weekend is enough to go to Spirit. Armand Van Helden soon too, should be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

The playhouse is good for sundays and bankholiday mondays as its €15 in and €2.50 a drink for any drink.
    Zanzibar is good, good music and some good women ( aint that right zinc :D )
    Spirit is ok, if your into hardcore dance its a good place to go.
    Coyote is meh depends on what your into really

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

bondi and 92 have smallish smoking areas, always quite packed, but sheltered and heated so they ain't terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Was in Bad Bob's there Saturday night and had a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Barcode
    I've been to Barcode a fair few times and always had a good time there. Very mixed crowd, alot of scum but given the size of the place and the number of people it can hold, they can easily be ignored.
    Some great drink promos too, ask for a "Diggie Special" during the happy hour.
    The security do their job well, if you've had problems with them then theres obviously a good reason, they're not knobs to people for no reason.
    Also, if you go for the happy hour and then decide to head into town it'll usually only cost around €13-15 in a jo.

Bondi

Last summer Bondi was an incredible club, absolutely no knackers knew of it and they didnt allow so many underagers in. Since September 2004 I've noticed more and more knackers turning up, slowly ruining the club.
    However, good music, good drink promo's and usually great talent means ya cant really go wrong for a decent night out.
    Alot of underagers on the weekend but a good college crowd during the week
    Also, the crowd on a Sunday night is by far the most horrible I've ever seen; a huge amount of knackers and then 9/10 women are fat :eek: .
    Security used to be better except now they seem to let just anyone in.
    A positive point is that it is very easy to get a jo outside straight afterwards.

Club 92

Great crowd, great music and amazing women.
    The security do their job effectively, so anyone who hasnt been is best off going with regulars otherwise they most likely wont get in.
    Also, knackers need not even try.

Anabels

My favourite club to go to during the week,though it can get packed as it is small. Usually would know nearly everyone there, they have good drink promo's (€3 for a pint) and great music and some pretty amazing women at times.
    Effective security, have never seen a knacker there and hopefully never will, not too many underagers and theres never any trouble.

The Ivy

A lot of underagers, to whoever it was that asked about getting in under 18, The Ivy is probably your best bet.
    There is a good crowd though, you get the odd knacker but they know themselves that they dont fit in. Decent talent also.
    Its a small club and can get packed and the dance floor is tiny, pretty sure its the smallest ive ever seen.
    Decent drink promo's and I've found that if you ever want to sit down you'll always find a couch without much looking.
    Also, it has a great smoking area, and you can get food there too, which is always nice.
    As I implied, the security is a bit too relaxed on the underagers but generally do an alright job.
    Getting a taxi afterwards can be a bitch though.

Il Mondo/Safari

This is a great venue, the place is huge and the decor is cool too. The crowd tends to be young but the talent is unbelievable. The music is decent, some dodgy tracks come on occasionally but by the time they do you're usually locked and couldnt really care. Usual drink promos, free til 11 (€10 after).
    You can expect to see the occasional knacker, they tend to stay in little groups and keep to themselves though, hopefully it wont hit the downward spiral like Bondi did.
    Good security, do their job well so no complaints there.
    Very easy to get a taxi afterwards.

Redz

Redz could well be the worst club ive ever been to. The place is tiny, even the roof is low. A generally poor crowd, lacking in talent and a surplus of Dublin's scum make for a pretty poor atmosphere. Alright drink promos but found the pints(Heineken) to be off tasting and the shorts to be watery.
    The security must be poor to let that crowd in.
    Hate the place in general.

Q Bar

Had a few good nights here, and a few poor nights.
    The dance floor isnt the worst ive seen, and they place good music.
    Theres the occasional honey there, but overall the talent is medioker.Good pints though, and seats can be gotten fairly easily so itd probably be best used as a pre-club drinking spot.
    Great security.
    Again, being where it is, can be very difficult to get a jo after.

Redbox

Not really worth mentioning. Was good in the day but havent went in at least a year and a half as it was only the slippery slope to becoming knacker central last time i checked.

Spirit

Too many knackers(for my liking anyway) & too many drugs spoil Spirit. If the crowd were different it would be a pretty good spot, with the three floors, and everything else but,again, the crowd ruins it. Student night on a thursday is extremely cheap though, but personally wouldnt even think about going back.
    The security is decent but could be alot better.

RiRa

Small venue with an odd crowd and bad pints. Not even worth thinking about.

Lillies

The best club in Dublin, IMO.
    Attracts a great crowd, plays great music and serves great quality drinks. VIP area is extremely comfortable, to the extent that you can just leave your coat(with your phone, wallet etc) at your table and not have to worry as it will remain untouched.
    Absolutely no knackers, no underagers & the talent is amazing.
    Security is unmatched, strict as they should be. Only go with regulars or your just wasting your time and dont bother asking for VIP as its not that simple(unlike redbox where all you need to do is ask),
    Without my favourite club in Dublin.

McGowans(Churchtown)

Mixed crowd, alright drink promos, good music & simple to get a taxi afterwards.
    The place is huge so its easy to get a seat, the dance floor isnt too bad and the layout is pretty cool.
    Can be some old men lurking about, quite a few knackers also but the talent is usally good so its worth going to occasionally.
    Free in before 11(i think).
    Quite strict security.

Tramcos is also worth checking out but havent had the chance since its refurbishment.

Overall my favourite clubs would be Lillies, Anabels or 92.Couldnt pick between the three though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

rb_ie wrote:
    Barcode
    I've been to Barcode a fair few times and always had a good time there. Very mixed crowd, alot of scum but given the size of the place and the number of people it can hold, they can easily be ignored.
    The security do their job well, if you've had problems with them then theres obviously a good reason, they're not knobs to people for no reason.
    Also, if you go for the happy hour and then decide to head into town it'll usually only cost around €13-15 in a jo.

Bondi

Last summer Bondi was an incredible club, absolutely no knackers knew of it and they didnt allow so many underagers in. Since September 2004 I've noticed more and more knackers turning up, slowly ruining the club.
    However, good music, good drink promo's and usually great talent means ya cant really go wrong for a decent night out.
    Alot of underagers on the weekend but a good college crowd during the week
    Also, the crowd on a Sunday night is by far the most horrible I've ever seen; a huge amount of knackers and then 9/10 women are fat :eek: .
    Security used to be better except now they seem to let just anyone in.
    A positive point is that it is very easy to get a jo outside straight afterwards.

Club 92

Great crowd, great music and amazing women.
    The security do their job effectively, so anyone who hasnt been is best off going with regulars otherwise they most likely wont get in.
    Also, knackers need not even try.

Anabels

My favourite club to go to during the week,though it can get packed as it is small. Usually would know nearly everyone there, they have good drink promo's (€3 for a pint) and great music and some pretty amazing women at times.
    Effective security, have never seen a knacker there and hopefully never will, not too many underagers and theres never any trouble.

The Ivy

A lot of underagers, to whoever it was that asked about getting in under 18, The Ivy is probably your best bet.
    There is a good crowd though, you get the odd knacker but they know themselves that they dont fit in. Decent talent also.
    Its a small club and can get packed and the dance floor is tiny, pretty sure its the smallest ive ever seen.
    Decent drink promo's and I've found that if you ever want to sit down you'll always find a couch without much looking.
    Also, it has a great smoking area, and you can get food there too, which is always nice.
    As I implied, the security is a bit too relaxed on the underagers but generally do an alright job.
    Getting a taxi afterwards can be a bitch though.

Il Mondo/Safari

This is a great venue, the place is huge and the decor is cool too. The crowd tends to be young but the talent is unbelievable. The music is decent, some dodgy tracks come on occasionally but by the time they do you're usually locked and couldnt really care. Usual drink promos, free til 11 (€10 after).
    You can expect to see the occasional knacker, they tend to stay in little groups and keep to themselves though, hopefully it wont hit the downward spiral like Bondi did.
    Good security, do their job well so no complaints there.
    Very easy to get a taxi afterwards.

Redz

Redz could well be the worst club ive ever been to. The place is tiny, even the roof is low. A generally poor crowd, lacking in talent and a surplus of Dublin's scum make for a pretty poor atmosphere. Alright drink promos but found the pints(Heineken) to be off tasting and the shorts to be watery.
    The security must be poor to let that crowd in.
    Hate the place in general.

Q Bar

Had a few good nights here, and a few poor nights.
    The dance floor isnt the worst ive seen, and they place good music.
    Theres the occasional honey there, but overall the talent is medioker.Good pints though, and seats can be gotten fairly easily so itd probably be best used as a pre-club drinking spot.
    Great security.
    Again, being where it is, can be very difficult to get a jo after.

Redbox

Not really worth mentioning. Was good in the day but havent went in at least a year and a half as it was only the slippery slope to becoming knacker central last time i checked.

Spirit

Too many knackers(for my liking anyway) & too many drugs spoil Spirit. If the crowd were different it would be a pretty good spot, with the three floors, and everything else but,again, the crowd ruins it. Student night on a thursday is extremely cheap though, but personally wouldnt even think about going back.
    The security is decent but could be alot better.

RiRa

Small venue with an odd crowd and bad pints. Not even worth thinking about.

Lillies

The best club in Dublin, IMO.
    Attracts a great crowd, plays great music and serves great quality drinks. VIP area is extremely comfortable, to the extent that you can just leave your coat(with your phone, wallet etc) at your table and not have to worry as it will remain untouched.
    Absolutely no knackers, no underagers & the talent is amazing.
    Security is unmatched, strict as they should be. Only go with regulars or your just wasting your time and dont bother asking for VIP as its not that simple(unlike redbox where all you need to do is ask),
    Without my favourite club in Dublin.

McGowans(Churchtown)

Mixed crowd, alright drink promos, good music & simple to get a taxi afterwards.
    The place is huge so its easy to get a seat, the dance floor isnt too bad and the layout is pretty cool.
    Can be some old men lurking about, quite a few knackers also but the talent is usally good so its worth going to occasionally.
    Quite strict security.

Tramcos is also worth checking out but havent had the chance since its refurbishment.

Overall my favourite clubs would be Lillies, Anabels or 92.Couldnt pick between the three though.

good posting

where is Il Mondo/Safari? Tell me more about it. Is it as big as bar code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

rb_ie wrote:
    Barcode

Barcode is a good club but sadly in the last 9-12 months the place has become infested with absolute scum.

There is a massive problem with the doormen in that place. They are arrogant, obnoxious f**ks. They are letting in scum and refusing decent punters like myself for no reason. I know so many people who have given up on that place.

Essential advise if you want to get into barcode:

Guys - white shortsleaved Ben Sherman/Fred perry shirt, NY wankees baseball cap at a 45 degree angle, have a knacker tash and always say you are from Darndale.

Gals - fake ID to prove that you are under 18 is essential and don't even bother wearing a mini-skirt

A bit exaggerated I know but I know for a fact of girls as young as 16 let into that place without any trouble.

Barcode simply sucks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

Barcode is a good club but sadly in the last 9-12 months the place has become infested with absolute scum.

There is a massive problem with the doormen in that place. They are arrogant, obnoxious f**ks. They are letting in scum and refusing decent punters like myself for no reason. I know so many people who have given up on that place.

Essential advise if you want to get into barcode:

Guys - white shortsleaved Ben Sherman/Fred perry shirt, NY wankees baseball cap at a 45 degree angle, have a knacker tash and always say you are from Darndale.

Gals - fake ID to prove that you are under 18 is essential and don't even bother wearing a mini-skirt
    note:i have yet to see anyone wearing a baseball hat in barcode
    the girls dress like pole dancers though

A bit exaggerated I know but I know for a fact of girls as young as 16 let into that place without any trouble.

Barcode simply sucks now.
    can you name me anywhere in dublin that isn't scum infested?? or full of snobs???
    why is there no happy medium!!!
    Thursday night is barcode night for one reason- 3 EURO drinks before 11!!!
    i was there once in May when school and stuff was still on, and the crowd was a good bit older than me (i was 17 then)
    now im legal, and everyone seems waaay younger on a thurssday night!!
    i'd say in September it will be back to normal.

can you name me anywhere in dublin that isn't scum infested?? or full of snobs???
    why is there no happy medium!!!
    Thursday night is barcode night for one reason- 3 EURO drinks before 11!!!
    i was there once in May when school and stuff was still on, and the crowd was a good bit older than me (i was 17 then)
    now im legal, and everyone seems waaay younger on a thurssday night!!
    i'd say in September it will be back to normal.

bar code is crap and the bouncers are absolute knobs.

I went there a few months ago and got in twice but one day I turn up to get in and I got refused. Here was the exact conversation

Bouncer: Sorry, can't let you in tonight lad.
    Me: Why?
    Bouncer: Err... you look tired
    Me: I "look tired"? But I'm not?!
    Bouncer: Sorry, can't let you in.
    Me: Because I look tired?
    Bouncer: *looks me up and down* You're wearing runners, can't let you in.
    Me: *sees two people with runners going in* But they're wearing runners and you let them in
    Bouncer: Don't get smart.

Knobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

rb_ie wrote:

McGowans(Churchtown)

Quite strict security.
    Ha! Ask for chicken wings if they're still doing food, they're deadly. Don't know what drink promos you're on about though - that place is dear. Beer is good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Without sounding like I'm downsizing what happened, last weeks incident has the bouncers refusing scum left right and centre.

Sorry? I don't follow?

Just over a week ago, a lad was beaten, to death I believe, unfer the Dart bridge at the end of the night.

Since then the Bouncers have apparently been turning scum away left, right and centre.

Just over a week ago, a lad was beaten, to death I believe, unfer the Dart bridge at the end of the night.

Did he die? I knew he was in a coma but I never heard of this?

I heard that particular night was absolutley insane. A friend of mine left there after an hour becasue of the rowdy scum in the place and she wasn't surprised at all that someone got beaten. Bouncers have a responsibilty to weed out scum but in Barcode they have been inviting them in with open arms. I hope the f**kers are sacked.

Jaysus - didn't hear about that. There probably wasn't even a reason for the assault either. That's miserable.

akindoc wrote:
    good posting

where is Il Mondo/Safari? Tell me more about it. Is it as big as bar code?

Il Mondo/Safari is in Ranelagh, just across from McDonalds.
    Its not as big as Barcode, but it is fairly spacious and you'll always get a seat if you want it.
    They've a pretty good dance floor, seats all around it so ya can watch the beauties dance ;)
    Also, you're allowed bring drinks dancin' with ya.
    It has three bars and i've never had to wait more than 2 minutes to get a drink, which is great compared to some clubs where you could be queing for a half hour.
    The crowd is young but a good crowd if you're young enough yourself(im 19 so its fine for me), very few knackers & fat chicks, and theres very rarely any trouble.
    The location is great for getting taxis and all afterwards.
    Its definately worth checking out though, heading out there myself now and ive been nearly every wednesday since it opened and im still not sick of it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

As a rock/metal-loving girl, I like Bruxelles, Fibbers or TBMC. Can't stand the music played in most places now. Dance, R&B... argh.

rb_ie wrote:
    Il Mondo/Safari is in Ranelagh, just across from McDonalds.
    Its not as big as Barcode, but it is fairly spacious and you'll always get a seat if you want it.
    They've a pretty good dance floor, seats all around it so ya can watch the beauties dance ;)
    Also, you're allowed bring drinks dancin' with ya.
    It has three bars and i've never had to wait more than 2 minutes to get a drink, which is great compared to some clubs where you could be queing for a half hour.
    The crowd is young but a good crowd if you're young enough yourself(im 19 so its fine for me), very few knackers & fat chicks, and theres very rarely any trouble.
    The location is great for getting taxis and all afterwards.
    Its definately worth checking out though, heading out there myself now and ive been nearly every wednesday since it opened and im still not sick of it.

thanks, that's good information there. I'll head out there sometime soon and do my thing. Last question, is the smoking area spacious or a box?

akindoc wrote:
    thanks, that's good information there. I'll head out there sometime soon and do my thing. Last question, is the smoking area spacious or a box?

Well, you're let out the front door into Ranelagh, or the side door(which is through The Four Provinces pub), and you can either go into the lane beside the club or you can walk around Ranelagh if you want.
    Next wednesday is ticket only and i think it sold out last night, so i wouldnt bother trying, but the following wedneday it'll be back to normal.
    You'll have no problem finding the place, its right beside The Four Provinces pub, directly across from a tandoori restaurant.
    Get there early and it's free in, otherwise its €10 and drinks are €3 all night and, surprisingly considering the price, the pints are good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 smarties

safari do have a little smoking area too tho, but its more of a tin can. i love safari and bondi,planning to try 92 in the next week or 2, loads of underagers in safari, and there are a lot of underagers in bondi too, i swear at beach party on monday there wer 2 girls that no way wer any older than 15 rolling around in the sand groping each other. to that person that sed lillies is their favourite club, you must be joking, ok once in a while u might be in the mood for it,if you want a relaxing almost quiet night, but the atmosphere is really sedate,and you never meet interesting pple there, and as for it being hard to get into, i strolled in there at 16!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CLAIRE22222

whats this tomangoes place like?

whats this tomangoes place like?

It's only down the road from me but I've only been in there once because it's 21's. From what I've heard it's gone pretty downhill in the last couple of years possibly due to Barcode taking a proportion of the crowd.

i'm beginning to think thers nowhere good to go...............barcode's gone all weird and everywhere in town is basically crap......................

You still haven't said how Barcode went weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

In doyles last night good atmosphere wont be to everyones liking. Its a complete student bar no need to dress up what so ever. Good music some nice women.
    Its more of a once every month or so place to go

You still haven't said how Barcode went weird.
    i can't put it into words, it's probably because when I first went I thought it was great, I suppose i've just gotten a bit bored of the same old thing, but I haven't been in a while, so next time I go it will probably be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

where is barcode??

In clontarf, part of Westwood gym and right beside the dart stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bowing2Buddha

Richie6904 wrote:
    In doyles last night good atmosphere wont be to everyones liking. Its a complete student bar no need to dress up what so ever. Good music some nice women.
    Its more of a once every month or so place to go
    Every1 says good music.. That doesnt tell us anything.. I think hardhouse dance music is great an cant stand that pop stuff, so can u be a bit more specific?

Thanks..

Advertisement