Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

In the UK 3G piggyback on the O2 network, which has very good coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Overheard manager in cpw today bout "3's launch on thursday"......hmmm....

AND their trans-flash cards (used by 3's moto handsets are to be delivered and on go on sale tues, (ads allready in liffey valley store).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Darz0re

Solair wrote:
    I'd say meteor's value's gone way up in recent months, they've been doing very well in terms of customer numbers. They're no longer a struggling player anymore. I'd say they're living in fear of becoming the only 2.5G operator in the Irish market if they don't do something to move towards 3G.

They showed interest today in a 3G licence today, as well as Smart Telecom.
    interesting development

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

The 3G store in Henry street were handing out flyers the other day about various products included in it was an ad for 3 saying "3 will launch in this store very soon". At least 3 products will be on sale in more outlets than just CPW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

3G sales people in Portlaoise are getting 3 training next week...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Paddy Last

" 3 " Radio adverts have been made available to all the radio stations in the country - they include a phone number for you to call to get connected. I rang it but there was no answer just a recorded message saying " Thank you for calling the 3 Ireland trial Customer Services Liner" and then you get cut off more or less !!

Might try again in a few days !!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

what's the number?

Paddy Last wrote:
    " 3 " Radio adverts have been made available to all the radio stations in the country - they include a phone number for you to call to get connected. I rang it but there was no answer just a recorded message saying " Thank you for calling the 3 Ireland trial Customer Services Liner" and then you get cut off more or less !!

Might try again in a few days !!

I dont have it here - I will get it when I go back into work tomorrow
    it was a 1800 number anyway with lots of 3's and 0's in it !!!

But as soon as I ge the chance I will post it up

P

1800 330 333

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BuffyBot wrote:
    I don't think their in that much fear. They're a "value" player - they like to focus on texting and calls. People who are looking for value don't tend to be high users of services like 3G

This is irrelevent considering their 2G license has a set term and they must cease operating their GSM network on a certain date. If they do not have a 3G license, they will cease to exist..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

plenty of adverts for 3,but when are they comin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

is there a website for 3?

and what model phones are they launching with?

sorry if it's been covered already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Not yet but coming soon

6 models with 3 flips, 2 of them being (in general) ppls fav brand

Was speaking with a guy in three. As far as i gather their irish number forward to a uk call centre.

Anyway he said that they are not allowed say days or weeks as to when they are launcing but that it will be extremely soon.

Also he said that their network IS 3g and that video calling is available form day 1. He said they are going to have a good choice of handsets and that thier prices are going to be cheaper than that of any of the networks here at the moment.

he took my number ( way hay !! ) and said he would phone me as soon as they launch

So thats all they is saying so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

They were doing competitions and PR stuff at Oxegen, they'll be launching fairly soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Paddy Last wrote:
    Also he said that their network IS 3g and that video calling is available form day 1. He said they are going to have a good choice of handsets and that thier prices are going to be cheaper than that of any of the networks here at the moment.

Without appearing to be overly cynical, its hardly a shock now is it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Not yet but coming soon

6 models with 3 flips, 2 of them being (in general) ppls fav brand

Do they have nokia phones?
    Will they have a prepay service?

#15 wrote:
    Do they have nokia phones?
    Will they have a prepay service?

I bet that CPW will have a nokia 3G device even if 3 do not sell one directly.

Their ads seem to indicate a bill only service at launch. PAYG will do doubt follow.

Ok, If memory serves me right (was talking to a friend in 3 a while back) its 2 LG or (1 Lg + a Panasoinc both flips), 2 Motorola (one flip) and 2 Nokias (neither flips) not sure of any of the model numbers.

Launching with bill pay ONLY but pay as you go to follow (not too quickly), when they didnt know.

Recons, well basically said no later than first week in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SaltySeaDog

There'll also be a NEC338,i reckon this will be their base model, it's on prepay in UK for 80stg or so...mate of mine has one of these as a test, seen the motorolas too,the normal type phone (E1000) and the flip(V975)... and some of the LGs,nice phones,bigger than normal 2g handset though

From what i've heard,the network is fully functional, video calls working, all the content has been set up for ireland, i.e. irish news, weather etc, gaa stuff on it aswell, games working, not sure though if mms between the other operators has been setup though but 2/2.5g roaming on voda is working,so all ready to go it seems but no idea when but would guess soon.

did anyone see what they were showing at oxegen?

• Advertisement

now that you say it im sure its the nec not a second lg or a panasonic and you hit the motorolas on the head :D Anyone wish to guess the Nokias? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Well in the UK you can get the Nokia 6680 and 6630 so a pretty good offering IF we get them here.

CPW is probably the place to watch as they got the first 6630s on 3 in the UK and then everyone else got their shipments.

nail on head

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Hi guys just joined this forum. I have a mate in 3 in the UK and he said that the launch is 7 to 10 days away. There is to be a huge advertising campaign at all Carphone Warehouse shops and in press and TV. Phones on offer are as follows:::

LG U8138/Motorola E1000/NEC E338/Motorola V975

In the UK the LG is most popular but no Blue tooth or memory card so you cant store much video content. If you want a flip phone the V975 is best and lots of features. If you happy to go with non flip phone the Motorola E1000 is great value and packed with features including memory card/Blue tooth/Light on camera for dark shots or videos/Tri band works in USA/Large screen for viewing content and video calling. Only draw back is plasticky keypad but other than that a good phone.

3G masts have been put up in alot of towns around Ireland including Drogheda and Dundalk for those of us in the North East so they seem to be serious about providing this new technology to rural areas aswell as major cities. Their price plans will shake up the networks here. I was a 3 customer in UK so have experience of their product. The only thing that you cant do is view websites other than what 3 want you to see. They have a wall so you can only see 3 content. 3G video calls to other networks in UK and Ireland and some european countries are possible however. Vodafone charges video calls at same price as voice call so it will be interesting to see what 3 charge as in UK they charge around 40p a minute on 3 pay (pay as you go) or offer so many minutes in you package if on a contract. The carphone warehouse has issued their July issue of their magazine and it shows the 3 phones on page 5. I was in the shop today but the guy said there was a delay on phones as problems with handsets but this may or may not be true!!!! 3 are trying to keep it all hush hush so the competition dont get any early info!!! All in all 3 will be good for Irish consumers and hopefully force prices down. We have been ripped off for years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Just heard due to network problems there may be a 8 to 10 day delay in launch of 3 Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

these guys are really taking ages.they are wasting money on advertising already.they should have waited.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They are right taking the time. Build their brand and then launch. Notice that not one advert has shown a product yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Dellas wrote:
    Phones on offer are as follows:::

LG U8138/Motorola E1000/NEC E338/Motorola V975
    No Nokia's?!?

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Got a tip today that it will be Aug 1st :)

Advertisement