Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Interesting that Meteor are going for the license..

This is the first occassion I have heard anyone say Meteor are interested in it. There was always rumours that Eircom had their eyes set on it but that was it.

I presume now that Smart have shown interest, it is now in Meteor's interest to get the last remaining license. Lets face it, if some other party got it who is not interested in taking over Meteor, Meteor would slowly disappear over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

yeah thats tru, but arent they interested in EDGE which is 3g like i.e video callin and all that?

dookie wrote:
    yeah thats tru, but arent they interested in EDGE which is 3g like i.e video callin and all that?
    That's what I heard too. I think that impementing EDGE would be much cheaper for Meteor since it would work over the existing GSM network. It would save them the expense of installing a whole new 3G network. Meteor have enough trouble with one network, never mind two.

EDGE does not offer video calls.. It could in theory offer video download services but they download time would increase dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SaltySeaDog

Pre-Christmas 3G launch anticipated for O2 Ireland
    June 26, 2005

O2 Ireland is likely to launch i-Mode and 3G mobile phone services before the Christmas period. The i-Mode service will be the launch platform for the long-awaited 3G service.

O2, having already launched 3G service in Britain and Germany, will be looking to go up against it rival Vodafone Ireland. Vodafone currently offers 3G services which also includes a 3G data card for access to the fast network via a laptop computer. The competition is set to increase with 3 Ireland expected to heavily push its 3G service.

The i-Mode service, created by Japanese operator NTT DoCoMo, and will be available to O2 Ireland's pre-paid and post-paid customers. While DoCoMo has amassed over 44 million i-Mode users in Japan, the service has a relatively low number of users outside of Japan.

O2 Ireland's head of consumer services, Colm Codd, said more details of the service will be available later this summer. He added that the service provides a consumer friendly email service.

He also confirmed that free phones would not be part of any promotional campaign for the service in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Any more news on the launch date for 3G?

I'll be interested to see their tariffs and in particular international call rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

EDGE does not offer video calls.. It could in theory offer video download services but they download time would increase dramatically.

It can - Orange UK had a video service on 2G working back in 2000ish.

They were using phone the size of a paperback and codec's designed by Cambridge.

Here's an early prototype (the actual product was a bit sexier): http://www.cambridgeconsultants.com/news_pr22.shtml

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'll be interested to see their tariffs and in particular international call rates.

Mid-July...apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

jrey1981 wrote:

Was suposed to be this week but they have posponed it for a second time, me thinks vodafone are being dicks once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Will they have the same range of 3g mobiles as Vodafone? Was thinking about buying one this week but if 3 are launching in the next few weeks I think I might wait and see what they have to offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

#15 wrote:
    Will they have the same range of 3g mobiles as Vodafone? Was thinking about buying one this week but if 3 are launching in the next few weeks I think I might wait and see what they have to offer?

Yeah .. Best waiting they are likely to offer much better packages than Vodafone.

Porting for 083 numbers is still not working yet (Probably vodafone been dicks again alright) so im certain they want that working before launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Anyone know what date the launch has been postponed to?

There was an interview with Gareth Jones in Irish Independent digital connections supplement the other day, but little info about launch date or handsets.

I wish they'd pull their finger out...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i suppose with 3 launching vodafone will be bringing down there prices, ive seen the 6630 and the 6680 on vodafone.ie going for 199 and 299, 100 quid off.

Im on o2 monthly, i wish they would get there heads out of there arse's and get a 3g network up and running.

kasintahan wrote:
    It can - Orange UK had a video service on 2G working back in 2000ish.

They were using phone the size of a paperback and codec's designed by Cambridge.

Here's an early prototype (the actual product was a bit sexier): http://www.cambridgeconsultants.com/news_pr22.shtml[/QUOTE]

I know it "can" do it but it does not do it... MMS could be done on GSM but it is restricted to 2.5/3G standards..

So if you read what I said again:

Sure 2 years ago BT Cellnet were trialling some new compression technique for video over GPRS... It worked but wasn't feasible..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SaltySeaDog

I heard they have put in a temp mobile site at punchestown for oxegen so they must be doing some sort of marketing campaign there so launch would have to be before that, i.e. this week sometime....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys i read in the sunday times that 3 will be launched this week and cant wait to see what the pricing and services is.i heard they're not available yet.

drdre wrote:
    guys i read in the sunday times that 3 will be launched this week and cant wait to see what the pricing and services is.i heard they're not available yet.

It was to go live on the 5th but from what ive heard that isnt going ahead and has once again been posponed. I'd expect it soon though.

yeah after spending millions on there network they wouldnot want problemsso i think they are tryin to sort them out 1st before they launch properly.

but they have advertised alot so should be realising very soon.
    would you have any pricing info yet

I couldn't care whether all the 3G crap actually works or not...I just want cheaper calls, especially to UK, and better coverage than Meteor!

• Advertisement

Put back weeks btw.

yeah all i want is cheaper calls i donot and never will use 3g stuff.

i am just not into thats crap.:D

hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

if anyone from 3 reads this thread. hurry up. i need a new phone and i dont wanna be simlocked to some crappo network. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

arent 3 not meant to be notourius for branding and locking their fones.
    any word on when they are supposed to launch, the the CPW july mag says they are launching this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

Can anyone confirm if 3 will be piggy backing on the Vodafone Network for coverage or will it have it`s own masts.

Aersat. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Im guessing they will have their own 3g masts but fall back on the Vodafone 2.5g network when you are out of coverage of their 3g network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yup, they get no use of Vodafone's 3G network ... 2.5G only.

Eircom could potentially roll out a full nationwide 3G network very quickly as they've a hell of a lot of towers and the infrastructure for backhauling the data over their own very extensive fiber network.

I don't think Smart can realistically afford Meteor.

I'd say meteor's value's gone way up in recent months, they've been doing very well in terms of customer numbers. They're no longer a struggling player anymore. I'd say they're living in fear of becoming the only 2.5G operator in the Irish market if they don't do something to move towards 3G.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd say they're living in fear of becoming the only 2.5G operator in the Irish market if they don't do something to move towards 3G.

I don't think their in that much fear. They're a "value" player - they like to focus on texting and calls. People who are looking for value don't tend to be high users of services like 3G

• Advertisement

Im guessing they will have their own 3g masts but fall back on the Vodafone 2.5g network when you are out of coverage of their 3g network.

Give Irishstabber a cigar.

2 new (decent, you may have seen one of them in the gaa vodafone adds ;) ) phones added to the list bringing it up to 6 models.

Were to go live last week, reason they didnt was kinda odd (strange thing to decide @ last min), oh and there may be pay as you go :D

Advertisement