Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Maybe that why voda have suddenly launched the 6630 for €199 deal on ready to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Are the recrutiing yet?
    I doubt they will as they've pretty much outsourced everything for Ireland, with anything else being handled by their UK office. They’ll probably have some form of nominal presence here however (don’t think this has been set up yet).

TBH, the impression I get is that they’ve done little research on the Irish market to date and will be relying on their existing international offerings (template-based mobile portals, outsourced content, standard branding), with some Irish-centric additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

imo if they keep going the way they are they wont even make a dent in the irish market

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭dshakey

in todays irish times. thier is an article about 3 ireland, and it is going to be launched next month..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Harry Corry

TBH, the impression I get is that they’ve done little research on the Irish market to date and will be relying on their existing international offerings (template-based mobile portals, outsourced content, standard branding), with some Irish-centric additions.

Have to agree Corinthian. Looks like we're still the poor cousins. The whole "well we have to do something becaused we bought the license didn't we" attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Well we are the first country you can buy their phones online afaik.

And re the article thats correct its been pushed back to july between 1st - 10th ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Regarding Recruitment

I know for a fact in Retail they have mystry shopped a lot of vodafone o2 meteor stores in ireland and have apporached some people after these mystry shops with aview to working for the company a lot of vodafone managers have also been apporoached , call center staff i think they will do what every other network operator is doing at the moment and that is giving the work to a agency.
    It isnt going to be a over night transition with setting up shops but i expect all major stores will be in affect by xmas

Sarge wrote:
    Regarding Recruitment

I know for a fact in Retail they have mystry shopped a lot of vodafone o2 meteor stores in ireland and have apporached some people after these mystry shops with aview to working for the company a lot of vodafone managers have also been apporoached , call center staff i think they will do what every other network operator is doing at the moment and that is giving the work to a agency.
    It isnt going to be a over night transition with setting up shops but i expect all major stores will be in affect by xmas

There isnt going to be any walk in shops it will all be via phone / web + their call center is all ready up and running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

4 or 5 stores will be opened (allegedly) but maybe only for 12-24 months , were those mystery shops in Dublin Limerick and Cork by any chance ?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Lots of cheapo asian handsets in there, all priced at £0 , eg

http://www.3ireland.ie/handsets/handsetoverview.omp?subleft=2&header=PAYMON&cid=1103643344308

Not a single natty Nokia to be seen anywhere.

interesting find but the selection there is way better than what we are getting to start with which you can easily count on one hand. one decent one in my opinion.

• Advertisement

interesting find but the selection there is way better than what we are getting to start with which you can easily count on one hand. one decent one in my opinion.

so its one Moto and no Nokia in for us in Ireland. 3 will go down like a lead balloon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

There isnt going to be any walk in shops it will all be via phone / web + their call center is all ready up and running.

Dont be so sillly , of course there is going to be walk in shops . FACT

Sponebob wrote:
    were those mystery shops in Dublin Limerick and Cork by any chance ?

as far as i know the my mystery shops took place in a lot of stores and all the major towns and cities

Silicon Republic has this story today

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single4949

"We have also learned that when the company, which is owned by Hong Kong-based Hutchison Whampoa, launches in Ireland over the summer months it will do so with 3G handsets from three manufacturers: Motorola, LG and NEC"

Optiplex was spot on there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Handsets are no surprise - it's exactly who supplies them in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Sponge Bob wrote:
    so its one Moto and no Nokia in for us in Ireland. 3 will go down like a lead balloon :(

In the UK CPW sources 3G Nokia phones itself through its own distribution channels and then sells them with the 3 bill packages.

Although 3 itself may not sell Nokia phones here CPW might.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

WOAH!

Seen a nokia ad on telly the other night. Think it was RTE. It said on the bottom of the ad:

"Available at your local 3 stockist"

Could this be sign that Nokia phones will be available at 3 stores in IRELAND!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

It'd be cool if they started makign the irish phone market into something similar to the Uk one, such as CPW selling a 3g Nokia bundled with a billphone package.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Silicon Republic has this story today

isn't that the same site that reported 3 wouldn't be live before November?

Wez wrote:
    It'd be cool if they started makign the irish phone market into something similar to the Uk one, such as CPW selling a 3g Nokia bundled with a billphone package.

Big Time ...
    If CPW/3 start doing anything close to what they have done in the UK market there is finally going to be a big shake up here.
    Have al look at this ... free phone, £6 line rental with 500 anytime minutes and 100 free text messages per month :) ... come on 3 give us the same offers as the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

That link doesn't work.. ends up linking back to microsoft.. :S but see this?..

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-Department?PN=SPECIAL.JUNE056630499

• Advertisement

Fungus wrote:
    Big Time ...
    If CPW/3 start doing anything close to what they have done in the UK market there is finally going to be a big shake up here.
    Have al look at this ... free phone, £6 line rental with 500 anytime minutes and 100 free text messages per month :) ... come on 3 give us the same offers as the UK.

Thats some cloud you're living on up there. :p

Thats some cloud you're living on up there. :p

I know ... You can always hope that the Irish market might get as compeditive as the Uk market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SaltySeaDog

do people think there will be some / any take up on this new network?

i was just looking at how many times this thread has been viewed and it is over 2k, which shows people are interested....

has anyone any idea when o2 are due to launch their 3g? I believe they have the equipment installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Who knows with O2 - their network has been visible for as long as VFs. Had an interesting article mailed to me today about 3 Ireland and these paragraphs in particular were interesting:
    Despite the fact that most Irish mobile subscribers are arguably looking for
    cheaper prices, both Rigby and his colleague Edward Brewster, Three's head of corporate communications, warn that Three is intent on giving good value rather than the lowest tariffs.

"In the UK our proposition is targeted at those who use their phone so we offer good value if you use your mobile but if you don't use it often, then Three is not the network for you, our price plans aren't competitive," said Brewster.

The last part seemed a bit of a weird thing to say. The rest of the article was fairly useless as the 3 spokesman refused to comment on when and what they will release, except strong hints it would be July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

BigMoose wrote:
    Who knows with O2 - their network has been visible for as long as VFs.
    When applying for the licence Vodafone set themselves a deadline for the network going live. O2 undertook no such deadline in their application and so could take their time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The last part seemed a bit of a weird thing to say.

Not really. They've taken the same line in the UK. Take their pre-pay offering (Three Pay) for example. Unlike the other networks, the credit expires after 30 days and they've often said it's not for low-usage folks or the teenage market like other operators. It's for those who use their phones often, but don't want or can't have a bill. They don't really want customers who buy a phone, have €50 credit and take 2 years to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

iv seen 3 advertising on the side of a bus today. comin in from town on the red line i saw the 3logo and the words loads of minutes, loads of texts...i cuddnt see the rest. im not sure what bus it was tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SaltySeaDog

Heard today from a guy that o2 looking at august for 3g launch

Interesting article here from UK based website about a guy over here in ireland trying to buy 3g stuff, he went to all the mobile shops in dundrum sc...interesting from a 3 perspective that none of the sales people seemed to have heard of them really...this article would be interesting for all operators though and how their sales staff are working to get customers on to their networks.

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_more.cgi?id=8104&referer=lister.cgi&area=FeatureIntro

Also rumours that eircom are looking at the last 3g licence that no one bought, would this be anything to do with their interest in meteor, then they'd have a national (more or less ) 2/2.5g network for the 3g to fall back on?

Another article about 3 in uk, fairly critical of them..

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_more.cgi?id=8095&referer=lister.cgi&area=Feature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

dookie wrote:
    iv seen 3 advertising on the side of a bus today. comin in from town on the red line i saw the 3logo and the words loads of minutes, loads of texts...i cuddnt see the rest. im not sure what bus it was tho.

...AND LOADS OF COOL VIDEO STUFF. saw it again today, the 76 bus!

• Advertisement

Also rumours that eircom are looking at the last 3g licence that no one bought,

Eircom have applied for the 4th 3G license so have Smart Telecom and Western Wireless (Meteor). We will find out who all the bidders are on July 7th.
    would this be anything to do with their interest in meteor, then they'd have a national (more or less ) 2/2.5g network for the 3g to fall back on?

Maybe ... They are either going exclusively for a 3G licence or going for both the 3G licence and Meteor. I think they are going for a 3G licence only. The maths for buying both (400 million for meteor plus 150 million for 3G licence) don't add up to eircoms available cash pile esp given their high debt levels.

Advertisement