Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Actually, Conor, have you noticed much benefit from the SCATT?

I haven't used it enough to get a large benefit, though I have found it useful for confidence building. When you know that you can hold the rifle well inside the ten ring you stop worrying about the small errors in your position.

I haven't used mine in a couple of months now, you're more than welcome to borrow it if you think it'll help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Thanks for the offer. Might well take you up on that. Have the garage cleared out so could well have room to do standing and kneeling training there now. :) SCATT could be particularly useful for those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Shot my first International Sporter competition Saturday at Harbour House's Charity Shoot.

Interesting wind conditions to say the least and a first for me having to feel and listen to the wind as I had no flags and was hoping someone might have them out on the line that I could watch but no body did.

Shot a 443 which was 46 points ahead of second so I was happy. Looking at getting a Heavy Varmint rig next so I can get into the more serious side of things. The addiction continues :o

DSC_0107_zpsa17f8010.jpg

A bit of shameless self-promotion. :)

I won my third consecutive 25yd prone nationals today:

de097276c0b711e29edf22000ae916b0_7.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

26 yards?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    26 yards?

Hah. Fixed. :p

Thought they made you stand a yard further back. Would have made the win that bit more impressive.

Good shooting though. Well done.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Me shooting in my biggest competition so far, the ISSF World Cup in Munich:

8827670582_a6421c2249_z.jpg

and the results:

255755.png

I missed the cut by 0.4 which was quite frustrating but now after some time has passed I'm feeling a little better about the result. For a first World Cup it's not a bad score at all. More points next time! :D

EDIT: I'll try and get some more photos of the range facilities here in Munich. They're worth seeing!

I assume you are still there?

Looks impressive. Like the idea of the raised shooting platform. Is it a dedicated ISSF range or can they be moved?

Anyone else with you?

I assume you are still there?

Just in the airport now on the way home.
    Looks impressive. Like the idea of the raised shooting platform. Is it a dedicated ISSF range or can they be moved?

The back portion is fixed and the front portion folds back to allow for standing and kneeling shooting. You can see the hinge in the photo above.

In that range, there are 100 firing points. The 42 on the left end go out to 300m and a few (20ish I think?) at the other end are set up for 30m crossbow. There's also a 100 firing point airgun hall, a 20 firing point finals hall and a 40 firing point 25m pistol range. There's a big shotgun facility, but that wasn't in use for this World Cup. I also saw what looked like an archery field out the back and there's a hotel and restaurant at the facility too. It's a huge place.
    Anyone else with you?

Aisling Miller shot 10m air rifle and Caroline O'Brien shoots 10m air pistol tomorrow.

FLOYDSTER who occasionally posts here was over shooting for GB in the 50m prone event. Victoria Mullin who shoots in DURC was also competing for GB and shot 25m pistol earlier in the week and is in the same competition as Caroline for the air pistol tomorrow.

More photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/91242583@N03/sets/72157633684799524/

EDIT: It's really hard to give a feel for the size of the competition. There are 700 competitors from 78 countries across 10 events. Due to some competitors entering multiple competitions there were over 1,200 starts.

• Advertisement

That is impressive. So are the scores on some of the pictures.

One picture shows a full screen of 10.2 or higher. Conditions must have been good?

The clay range is very impressive too. Is that a full time facility or range or just something they "dust off" for events?

One picture shows a full screen of 10.2 or higher. Conditions must have been good?

Yeah, that was my last string in pre-event training. Conditions were lovely that day, dry, a light breeze and cool but not too cold.

Conditions on the match day were a good bit worse, and hence scores were down for everybody. It was a good bit colder and gustier and when the prep time ended and the match started the heavens opened and it lashed down. You can see my first two shots in the picture above, they're the two 9s at top left. The first was a 9.2 and I thought "Was that nerves or the rain?" so I put another round in and it was a 9.4 in the same place. I clicked in the adjustment and shot a 10.5 and just continued from there. According to those watching me, an awful lot of the other competitors were trying to wait it out. It did seem a little quiet, though all I was thinking was "this is just like shooting in Midlands". :D The rest of the string was roughly a 10.2 average so I don't think it bothered me too much once I had adjusted for it.

The only bit I struggled with was at the end where most of the wind flags I could see were soaked and wrapped around the poles. You can see the horizontal stringing in my last diagram above.
    The clay range is very impressive too. Is that a full time facility or range or just something they "dust off" for events?

There were a few people out training there while I was there but I don't know how frequently it's used. In fact, I don't know if there are any resident clubs for any of the disciplines. Needless to say, I'd love to be a member there! I know one Irish person who's a member of this club in Munich, so I'm guessing that if it's possible to train in the Olympiaschießanlage it's either very difficult to get in or quite expensive.

I've seen people training on the shotgun facilities whenever I've been over and there's not a concurrent shotgun event run by ISSF, but I'm led to believe that the rifle and pistol facilities don't get the same use outside of competitions, which is a real shame. Would be a great place to make a training camp for a week.

It amazes me how they could let such a facility sit and only use it for comps, etc. when we would kill for such a place here.

I'm sure not all facilities are the same, but imagine having one or two of them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's the same story as with the Lord Roberts Center in Bisley (or the Olympic ranges in Wolf Creek, Sydney, Athens and Beijing) - they cost money to run (staff, power, heating, insurance, etc, etc) so if you're just getting two or three lads showing up for a bit of a plink, you'd lose money. If you get a major competition, that's something else entirely, and if you can organise large training days or whatever, you can break even at least; but as a casual, show-up-every-second-weekend sort of place, it doesn't work as a concept to have a large well-developed range.

(I mean, even in the UK, Bisley (or more specifically the LRC) is a topic of contention because your nsra subs keep it (barely) open, but if you're in wales or scotland or really anywhere outside of sussex, you're not likely to shoot on it regularly).

We all dream of what we would do with the lottery, but i've had this idea of a state of the art range for all disciplines, and facilities to back it up if i ever won big money.

I'd say you'd need that sort of disposable capital to set it up initially. IOW not have to worry about repayments only running costs which a certain membership each year would cover.

Ah to dream. :D

To be honest, I think the most important thing is to look after your pet disciplines, rather than trying to shoehorn everything into the same facility, and everything would suffer. Costs are the major issue though, as Sparks says. Facilities like that are hard to keep going, which is why you would need a readily available, dedicated membership in line with the size of the facility (So the guts of three hundred electronic targets and firing points across the range complex, like in Munich, would be a ridiculous ambition for Ireland, but twenty firing points of the cartridge rifle range there might be more achievable and maintainable) which is going to be there often enough and contribute enough money to support it. Ranges like the LRC cost a lot to train on (Think it's something like £16 an hour on the 50m range) if the option is even available. Some use their facilities for local clubs and organisations. As far as I know, Sydney gets a decent bit of use. Others, like Athens and Atlanta, are graveyards for spiders, because they're just unsupportable. If we could get a facility for ISSF rifle shooting anywhere near as nice as Munich, and sized in line with the potential membership, it would still have to cost a huge amount to join and use, just in order to exist. Realistically, to accommodate any other disciplines, even half-arsedly, which would seem like a shame, would sink the whole affair.

My point was about a pipe dream. IOW what i would do if i had Euromillions behind me. Cost would not be an issue.

My point was about a pipe dream. IOW what i would do if i had Euromillions behind me. Cost would not be an issue.

Maybe cost wouldn't, but administration and such would be. Still, it's a great dream. Personally I'd build a small but world class ISSF facility, then chuck money at a few other things I'd like to see flourish, but under their own administration, in another place. That way I can go visit another range which is a world-class, no compromise icon of F-Class or whatever other discipline, without anything else to detract from its own agenda. The other effect of this, of course, is that there are more ranges around overall, which isn't a bad thing. That space could always end up a golf course instead if we didn't do the responsible thing and put some targets there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IPSC

New gun arrived:-

Make: Les Baer
    Model: Premier 2 with 5" barrel
    calibre: 45ACP
    Features:
    guaranteed 1.5" accuracy at 50 yards
    front FO sight
    extended mag release
    two piece magwell
    chequred MSH
    no markings on left hand side

I ordered this on Paddy's day March 2012. Baers are world famous for accuracy so when I miss I know it's my fault and not my Baer!

• Advertisement

9237390179_57bc0b0397_c.jpg

The town of Las Gabias is where the range is, and the town council put up a billboard welcoming us. It was a nice touch!

When I arrived at the range, the pre-event training was already underway for the trap shooters. The next day, they had their matches (or day 1 of their matches for the men) and I had a day with no shooting scheduled so I watched some of each of their matches:

9227027921_b699870fe1_c.jpg

Derek Burnett shooting one of several clean rounds.

9227031767_3ef7a9522b_c.jpg

Colin Tanner breaking a target. I took lots of photos trying to catch a target being broken, they move too fast!

9227034789_f1136241a3_c.jpg

Aoife Gormally shooting Trap.

The shotgun range is a beautiful facility with a fantastic backdrop:

9240174978_3da1bbab37_c.jpg

I also wandered down to the 50m range to have a look at my firing point (the firing point assignments were made on Friday) and while I was down there I caught some of one of the 50m Free Pistol training sessions:

9233005412_731949e306_c.jpg

There were three relays of roughly 40 people for my event and I was on the last relay. Here are some of the shooters from relay 2 who I saw bits of while I was getting my gear together for my relay:

9233018102_5960513071_c.jpg

I was talking to Warren Potent (centre, in the green and yellow) today and he told me that he dislocated his shoulder by twisting it funnily when getting into position. He had his coach put it back in and continued the match!

Today I caught part of the second relay of the Women's 10m Air Pistol. It was really hot in the airgun range since there's no air conditioning. I can only imagine how hot it must have been for the air rifle shooters in jackets, pants and boots.

9237393113_fc67dc857e_c.jpg

I managed to get a few more photos which are here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91242583@N03/sets/72157634526897380/

IRLConor wrote: »
    I also have a video of Christian Reitz shooting a perfect 50 in the rapid fire pistol but that will have to wait until I have a better internet connection!

The video didn't turn out as I hoped, but here it is anyway:

I got back to training yesterday:

262592.png

Indoors at 25yds since I didn't have enough time to make it to a 50m range. Still, I'm happy enough with it.

So after shooting in the Irish International Open in Harbour House last week I was slightly disappointed as things didn't go as well as I had hoped.
    In Multi Target I had 3 jams in a row at 10m so it was a right off and shot a 288 in T&P. The jams had me confused as to what was causing them so I stripped the action and gave it a good cleaning on Monday and filled the mags with 10 rounds each and left them there for the week.

Today I got a brick of SK Standard Plus and headed to the range for some practice.

I was losing the majority of my points at 25m as I was shooting to quickly as I didn't have a watch to tell me when the 2 minutes were up so I decided to bring my watch with me and the difference it made was unreal.

First target was 36 rounds at 25m:

abe2311d-ce96-4865-b75e-8b3c235d8698_zpscfd83c7f.jpg

I dropped 12 points.

I then changed targets and shot a match:

DSC_0159_zps9c1cbb9b.jpg

I was clear at 25m which was the goal but dropped 2 points at 15m :confused:

Spurred on I stuck up another target:

DSC_0160_zps8cb4c717.jpg

My first 300/300 with some X's :D

I was delighted with myself and called it a day. I need to get some multi target targets now and start practicing that.

Also the rifle never jammed so I don't know if it was the ammo, cleaning or the mags that may have fixed the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭adrian5765

what set-up are u shooting with dev was this the HH open

i am just starting with rimfire and would like to know if you could suggest any practice routines that would help,cheers

adrian5765 wrote: »
    what set-up are u shooting with dev was this the HH open
    adrian5765 wrote: »
    i am just starting with rimfire and would like to know if you could suggest any practice routines that would help,cheers

Hi Adrian,

I am using a Ruger 10/22 with a Boyds Evo Stock, Kidd Single Stage trigger and Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 scope

DSC_0155_zps247bf767.jpg

DSC_0156_zpsc2d03d23.jpg

DSC_0157_zps50dd346a.jpg

Them targets were shot the Saturday after the Irish open in HH at MNSCI.

I'm only after starting up gallery rifle so I probably wouldn't be the best lad to tell you what you need but the best thing you can do is get out and shoot and see where your weakness were. As you can see from the targets above I was loosing points at 25 metres so decided to practice at 25m and tried different positions and shooting fast and slow.

These might be of some interest to you:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxuYm5hc3JwY3xneDozMWVlODcyMDVkMjZhOTkw

http://www.rudefatdog.com/Gallery%20Rifle%20Basics%201.pdf
    http://www.rudefatdog.com/Gallery%20Rifle%20Basics%202.pdf
    http://www.rudefatdog.com/Gallery%20Rifle%20Basics%203.pdf
    http://www.rudefatdog.com/Gallery%20Rifle%20Basics%204.pdf

There are a few lads off here that are also into gallery and would have more tips and tricks than I would. Off the top of my head there is Scalachi, Clivej, Cw67irl, Tommoyboy26 & Liffy Fishing

thanks for that i will start shooting to timed and reloading cheers...

i'm living near edenderry so joining HH soon

• Advertisement

I was up in Dungannon testing ammunition with Eley. I got a good batch and then shot a match from the shoulder to test it. I shot a new PB:

9705184192_bca8793485_c.jpg

That's 594 (99, 100, 98, 99, 99, 99) in old scoring, which would also have been a PB at 50m. I think this batch of ammo works! :)

On the day I shot 445 rounds between the testing and the match and this is what was waiting for me when I took the extension tube off the rifle:

9701951629_f175fc0a01_c.jpg

:eek:

Advertisement