Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost [Contains spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

CoolCiaran wrote:
    I know this has probably been mentioned before but i'm not bothered reading through the whole thread for the answer. So i'll ask again, does anyone know when 'Lost' is starting on RTE2?
    E-mailed RTE about this over a month back and still haven't recieved a reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Thanks basquille, fuc*ing RTE the stupid bast*rds

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm not crazy about
    killing off Ethan. He was a genuinely menacing character and very entertaining to watch. When the Ethan Hunt (snigger) team said they wanted to capture him alive, I was looking forward to finding out more about him.... Oh well...

That DVD box set sounds fantastic, BTW....

Yeah, like i said
    i was looking forward to finding out what Ethan wanted with Claire (or more precisely, her baby).

The actor who played Ethan, William Mapother, recently let USAToday.com know about some of his theories about what Ethan really is about.

Such as an anagram of his character's name (Ethan Rom) is 'Other Man' (probably coincidental?)

He also discovered the name Ethan means "gift of the island". Mapother suspects that Ethan might have been a sheep in wolf's clothing, out to protect Claire from the others.

Read more of that article here (http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-02-10-lost-ethan_x.htm).

PS - was reading around online that a lot of European stations seem to be broadcasting 'Lost' from March / April so hopefully, Network 2 will launch it around the same time.

PPS - this site is great for news on 'Lost' (http://lost-media.com/index.php)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

TmB wrote:
    New episode tonight... yaaay!

Schedule for next batch.

1x15 - tonight
    1x16 - 16th February
    1x17 - 23rd February
    1x18 - 2nd March
    ** break **
    1x19 - 13th April
    1x20 - 20th April
    1x21 - 27th April
    1x22 - ?
    1x23 - ?
    1x24 - ?

1x22-24 should be 4/11/18 May or 4th and a double (23/24) on the 11th; finale tend to end by mid-May in most cases, so it could be either.

As a Sweeps Month - when advertising rates are set - ABC will be keen to push the final episodes of Lost's first season quite a lot.

Am impressed they've committed to 24 episodes, rather than the usual 22 as well, as most sources seem to indicate. Although the first season of The OC tried to do 27 which I considered a very poor move which really weakened the season overall.

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote:
    Hurley is the dark horse of the group and I think the writers have something special for him.

I think this is going to be a comedy episode, or at least start that way and maybe have a poignant twist. May become like the way DS9 had a Ferengi episode (or two) every year, though I thought all of those bar one were awful, so Hurley's had better be a worth-looking-forward-to event.

Their comedic elements are becoming quite strong - loved the "Dude, that was Scott..." line. They also threw in some jaunty music at Charlie's attempt to demonstrate the photocopier last week as well. Loved the Slough line. Very clever.
    Hyzepher wrote:
    There are still a few backstories yet to be told - Jin, Rose, Walt, Hurley. Walt and Jin have appeared in other backstories - Michael and Sun but haven't had their own.

I don't believe Walt will have his own backstory just yet; they may have difficulty selling a story just about him to viewers. Same with Rose - just not well-known enough, except to avid viewers. I don't expect her to have one either. I agree she's there for a reason - she won't believe her husband is dead, for one - but it's not been really expanded with beyond her few (3?) appearances so far. Shannon and Boone are likely to continue to have theirs together, and I reckon Jin and Sun will as well; or at least appear in each other's. The more interesting characters (well, the ones the writers want us to be more interested in) - Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Charlie, Locke - are probably those who will get two or more flashback shows per year, with the others dispersed among those remaining.

One request on that, if I'm not being too much of a pain. I had to look away really quickly above when I saw the post of each upcoming episode's focus - can we spoilerify those in future?

I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't look at any spoiler material on any show, until I've seen the episodes, and in Lost's case, that includes the info on who the episode is about. Part of the fun of the show is guessing or wondering who it's going to be about, so knowing in advance, just as with plot details, kind of ruins it.

As for ep 15,
    didn't expect Ethan to do, but I agree, they didn't want him captured and have the secrets revealed too early. Could've just not had him turn up for a while longer, though. Love the idea someone posted that he was actually protecting Claire from the others... Would be a good idea for a future flashback of hers to actually be remembering what happened in those missing two weeks; though whether that would be island-happenings overload or not, I'm not sure. Enjoyed more of Charlie's backstory, but it was one of the weaker ones so far info-wise, beyond realising his life was a mess and he wanted to take care of someone.

DVD sounds excellent - cheers for the site links too; I love the US style of promos; way superior to those we have here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

quick question -
    Where did Charlie get the gun (and how was he able to hit him with all six shots if he'd never fired one before)?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

quick question -
    Where did Charlie get the gun (and how was he able to hit him with all six shots if he'd never fired one before)?

I think it was Jack's gun thqat he lost in the fight with Ethan.

Yep...
    Jack dropped the gun, and they made a point of showing that it landed on the ground.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

doh.ie wrote:
    I think this is going to be a comedy episode, or at least start that way and maybe have a poignant twist. May become like the way DS9 had a Ferengi episode (or two) every year, though I thought all of those bar one were awful, so Hurley's had better be a worth-looking-forward-to event.
    I agree. I'm wondering if the reason he
    calls himself Hurley
    will be the poignant bit? Although, at the same time, having the happy fatman be sad beneath the surface is a bit too clichéd.

I don't believe Walt will have his own backstory just yet; they may have difficulty selling a story just about him to viewers. Same with Rose - just not well-known enough, except to avid viewers. I don't expect her to have one either.
    Agreed. Whilst the kid playing Walt (Malcolm David Kelley) is a fine actor, it's hard work to try and convince an audience they want to see him for a full episode. The only thing that might make a diffence is, as indicated in other episodes and particularly Michael's flashback, is
    Walt's powers where, what he sees, happens. I'm not sure how this can be explained rationally but we'll see
    I'm still waiting for Locke to get more background story - surely we'll be getting that?! (Note: If anyone actually knows, I'm not asking you to tell me...).
    One request on that, if I'm not being too much of a pain. I had to look away really quickly above when I saw the post of each upcoming episode's focus - can we spoilerify those in future?
    100% agree. Please, please protect any information about future episodes. I don't want to know whose backstory an episode will have until I see it on cousin's tapes. Also, to be even pickier, when using spoiler space can you please say what the spoiler space is for - is it the episode that just aired or one yet to show anywhere? Cheers! FYI - I'm clearly talking about what's aired 'coz I don't read spoilers...

As for ep 15,
    Love the idea someone posted that he was actually protecting Claire from the others...
    Aye, that's what I'm figuring.
    He has his connection to the island, just like Locke. He sees things from a different perspective, a different angle and probably is quite Machiavellian about his goals. The island is everything to him and he would have given his life for it. And the island has told him that the group are not to be trusted with Claire's baby..

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote:
    As for ep 15,
    Love the idea someone posted that he was actually protecting Claire from the others...

The actor who played Ethan suggested that.

EDIT:
    And i think by this he means that the fortune teller told Claire that "danger surrounds her baby" and he may have been out to save the group from this child. Just his opinion, not mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Watched all fifteen episodes in the last week, really good stuff :) Terry O'Quinn is doing a great job as Locke, keeping up his tradition of playing oddballs. The number 815 seems to be cropping up a lot as my girlfriend pointed out last night - they were on flight 815, the locker Kate wanted opened in the bank was 815, the copy machine Charlie was trying to sell was the C815..

The number 815 seems to be cropping up a lot as my girlfriend pointed out last night - they were on flight 815, the locker Kate wanted opened in the bank was 815, the copy machine Charlie was trying to sell was the C815..
    Well observed! It passed me by although I'm saying it's because I watched them spread over months... J.J. Abrams has had a similiar penchance for using the number 47 in "Alias" a lot - and it did have a meaning in the end. I can only assume then that the 815 isn't coincidental. For example, perhaps 815 is a number they all had ingrained into their head from either the flight or some experiment they were exposed to before the flight and the number somehow weaves itself back into their flashbacks (and thus we find out the flashbacks act as something more than story-filler). We'll see...

ixoy wrote:
    J.J. Abrams has had a similiar penchance for using the number 47 in "Alias" a lot - and it did have a meaning in the end.

Similar, but with no meaning, was the use of 47 as well in tons of Next Generation and Voyager episodes, courtesy of producer Brannon Braga. Didn't really have any great novelty interest for me; at least in Alias, there was some payback for it.

815 definitely means something in Lost. I like the idea that the island is causing it to appear in their flashbacks. But since Charlie would've actually memorised a lot of that photocopier material, since Kate wouldn't have forgotten the vault number and since everyone knew the flight number, unless the whole thing is some island-controlled psychosis, I'd say those numbers are at least what they were in the real world as well.

Any greater meaning for the future in code terms (say they need to open a sealed island vault) won't have much impact, as in terms of guessing, it's also the flight number and therefore kinda obvious...

But you could argue that it's a form of fate - this number was cropping up, almost as a sign or portent, in all of their lives, before they got on board that Oceanic flight... Spooky!

ixoy wrote:
    I agree. I'm wondering if the reason he
    calls himself Hurley
    will be the poignant bit? Although, at the same time, having the happy fatman be sad beneath the surface is a bit too clichéd.

Agree about the sad inside bit, but I'd like a nice satisfying explanation on the spoiler and I suspect that's exactly what his episode will feature. Of course, the reason he was in Australia at all is likely to play a large part as well. (Again, this is all based on guesswork - I've only seen up to 15, and don't read ahead...)
    ixoy wrote:
    Agreed. Whilst the kid playing Walt (Malcolm David Kelley) is a fine actor, it's hard work to try and convince an audience they want to see him for a full episode. The only thing that might make a diffence is, as indicated in other episodes and particularly Michael's flashback, is
    Walt's powers where, what he sees, happens. I'm not sure how this can be explained rationally but we'll see

I think Michael/Walt, Sun/Jin and Shannon/Boone will continue to have flashbacks told together for quite a while. All three pairs have one character who is weaker than the other; it just wouldn't make sense to try to keep the audience's attention when the story can just as easy feature both. Despite their time apart, you still could conceivably do another Michael/Walt story, with maybe
    Michael spotting unsual behaviour or abilities from Walt in the time from leaving Brian's house until the flight.

On that note, considering the upcoming DVD is to (DVD extra info/crash theory)
    potentially contain an extra of the actual scenes of the crash from a wider perspective than that seen in the pilot, I have this cool theory that Walt crashed the plane by looking at the graphics on the emergency landing instruction! Although that'd be too crucial to the plot to just feature in a DVD extra... In any case, I think there's a fair bit you could still do with Michael/Walt and incorporate both characters, despite their not knowing each other very long.
    ixoy wrote:
    I'm still waiting for Locke to get more background story - surely we'll be getting that?! (Note: If anyone actually knows, I'm not asking you to tell me...).

Funny. Same with me - if I seem to be asking for the answer, I'm not if it involves *future* (i.e. not-yet-broadcast) episodes. I suspect the next Locke episode will be crucial - we need to find out where he worked before his accident and how he ended up in the box company. (In fact, we may even learn the cause of his accident.)
    ixoy wrote:
    re: Ethan
    He has his connection to the island, just like Locke. The island is everything to him and he would have given his life for it. And the island has told him that the group are not to be trusted with Claire's baby..

More theories:
    Definitely a strong sense that he wasn't what he seemed, though based on what happened to Charlie, he was still ultra-violent in achieving the ends he/the island wanted. Locke may well be heading in the same direction... I'd like Claire's next flashback to be an on-island one to her time with Ethan/the others - we need a good reason why someone who wanted to keep her from the group so badly managed to let her (and the precious baby) slip through his/their fingers...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Obviously there are a lot of unknowns - but if we assume that Ethan was part of the party that were marooned on the island due to their boat crashing, then it might be a case the recent plane crash is the next iteration of a cyclical event on the island. Ethan knowing how the last cycle went wants to try and stop/prevent/alter the new one by abducting Claire/baby etc.

There is also an assumption that Ethan was after the baby not Claire - this gains weight from Claire's backstory and the mystery surrounding the baby. However, this may not be the case and the writer might be using ther backstory as a cover for something else. If he surely was after the baby, I'm sure he would have tried to induce/remove the baby during the 2 weeks he had Claire.

I think the reason why these people where on this flight will start to tell us more about the mysteries of the Island. Most of them were travelling for specific reasons - other than holidays - most of which were life changing in some way. It is as if they were destined to be on the flight.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm still wondering
    how Claire got away from Ethan. He had huge scratch marks on his face, which suggests she didn't just sneak away in the night, but had at least a physical confrontation with him. Whether she escaped as a result of a fight - very, very unlikely given Ethan's fighting prowess and her 9-month bump - or afterwards, it begs the question how Ethan could be so careless as to let her leave, when she was obviously hostile. I don't really buy the theory that Ethan kidnapped her to save her from the others, as he seemed to have no qualms about killing off innocent people one by one.

They've posted some info on:
    who will die at the end of the season here: http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristin/Trans/Archive2005/050214c.html

It doesn't reveal who will die.. but it does give a couple of clues...

Don't look at it if you want to remain in the dark.. even though what's revealed is very minor

Pretty disappointed with episode 16. I was expecting more, considering it was a
    sawyer
    episode. I enjoyed his realisation at the end, but thats about it. Pretty dull episode.....

Yeah, probably the second worst of the series behind
    (Sayid's episode, where he gets captured by the French woman being the worst, in my opinion)!

Not a terrible episode by any means.. but was
    definantly expecting some big life changing link between Sawyer and Jack's Dad. But Sawyer now knows something that will relenquish some of Jack's demons... don't think he'll be telling him anytime soon though! And also we know Jack's Dad practically pushed Sawyer into murdering "Shrimp Man Sawyer" :)

The scenes with the boar was a bit too comical also. Did anyone else get somewhat confused with the 'I Never' game Kate and Sawyer were playing!? :D Anyways, not a terrible episode but hopefully next week's episode ("...In Translation" - that title was bound to happen at some point!) will return to form.

PS - Watch the Preview for Episode 17 "...In Translation" here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I thought it was an average episode although I enjoyed the I Never game.

The standard of this show's script writing is miles ahead of 24 Season 4.

Another one for the "average" camp. The backstory wasn't too bad
    I certainly didn't realise Sawyer had killed an innocent man! Also nice touch meeting Jack's dad shortly before he dies
    but the main story wasn't up to scratch:
    We got no real development, the arc didn't move along at all. It seriously needs to.

Still next week's episode is called
    "... in translation" which, I'm guessing, will mean we'll see Jin's story and how it crosses with Sun's
    But that's just a guess... So noone correct me if I'm wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It was a bit of a filler-y episode but still decent, good opening with
    child Sawyer hearing his mother get shot and the killer killing himself
    - as usual Locke produced the best moment with
    his story out of nowhere about his twisted youth :)

Agree it was average; almost exactly what I expected to learn
    about Sawyer except for his killing the wrong guy. But surely the guy from the hotel room who gave 'Not Sawyer' (the Lost character) the information about the guy he was looking for (who turned out to be 'Not The Right Sawyer' (confused?!)) knew that there was a chance 'Not Sawyer' would find out he'd gotten the wrong man and would just wind up back in the US gunning for Hotel Guy. It's not like Hotel Guy knew there'd be a crash, and there was a hell of a chance 'Not Sawyer' might want to confront his parents' killer.

It was clear from the opening 'Previously...' that the Jack/father information was going to crop up, but the bar scene caught me completely by surprise. It was a nice touch, as was the final scene with Sawyer's realisation.

No explanation here as to why Sawyer was glimpsed in prison in the Shannon/Boone episode - I doubt somehow it was for the killing - there didn't seem to be any witnesses at all - so there's another Sawyer in Sydney story to be told there.

Basquille's right - as much as Jack's Dad (Christian Sheperd, if I remember rightly - more name clues?) talked Sawyer into killing Shrimp Guy/Not The Right Sawyer, Sawyer also bought a man who had lost his wallet (the police had found this in Jack's first flashback) drinks and ultimately the entire bottle - how much did he contribute to Jack's Dad turning up dead (from alcohol poisoning?) in an alley later that night?

Here is a fun idea....
    What if Sawyer was responsible for Jacks father's death? Maybe thats the reason he didn't reveal to Jack that he'd met his father...... Maybe that was what Sawyer was being arrested for in the Shannon/Boone episode.

TmB wrote:
    Here is a fun idea....

Interesting, but I don't think so, considering he should've drunk twice during the game if that were the case.

doh.ie wrote:
    Interesting, but I don't think so, considering he should've drunk twice during the game if that were the case.
    Don't get me started on that game.. i'll have to watch the episode again to get the full grasp of the 'I Never Game'! :D

As average as last night's episode was, this show still has some of the best writing on TV. By the way, last night's episode was written by Drew Goddard who is a big name in the field of writing. His writing is very well respected... previously wrote on Buffy, Angel and Alias.

Anyways, i never enjoy these drama shows but 'Lost' is definantly the best show i've seen in a long (!!) time. But a lot of fans seem to be starting to lose interest at the vast amount of questions / mysteries in the series with very little shown to answer them.
    ixoy wrote:
    Still next week's episode is called..
    Your presumption of the backstory is correct and episode 18 should be a good one..
    we'll get to see Hurley's backstory.

Oh, and by the way..
    i have a theory about who'll die at the end of the season. Don't read any further down if you don't want to know about it..

OK, this is an extremely formulaic theory.. but this is what i pictured after watching the end of 'Outlaws'.

Picture this.... something dreadful happens Sawyer. He's lying there dying with Jack standing coming to his aid / comforting him. And cough cough... splutter splutter... and then in Sawyer's dying moments reveals that his father was actually proud of him....

I know, i know... incredibly formulaic stuff but just one theory.

My other shock theory is:

OK.. we heard a few episodes back that Sun knows a lot about medicine (and came up with the idea for Shannon's asthma)... Could this revelation be a foreshadowing to losing the services of a certain doctor?! He was planned to be killed off in the Pilot episode, remember?!

Anyways, there's my opinions / theories! Anyone else care to share theirs? (in spoiler tags though)

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I don't like too many coincidences happening and the writers of this show had better come up with a good explanation for all the coincidences that are happening especially the latest one
    with the meeting of Sawyer and Jack's father

Also, anyone else think that they're overdoing the parable thing? The latest episode had both Locke and Sayid telling stories to help people out.

One more thing, the writers had also better have a good reason as to why Locke is so insightful all the time. He read Sawyer a little too well this week and previously it was with the kid and there were other times as well. Now, either he's psychic or he's getting the info from somewhere or else it's just weak writing.

Raoul Duke wrote:
    I don't like too many coincidences happening and the writers of this show had better come up with a good explanation for all the coincidences that are happening especially the latest one
    with the meeting of Sawyer and Jack's father.

Some coincidences are harder to believe than others. I'm happy enough with this meeting of
    (ep 16) Sawyer and Jack's father as just one of those unusual things, but there is likely to be a wider issue of these people's lives being interconnected.
    Raoul Duke wrote:
    One more thing, the writers had also better have a good reason as to why Locke is so insightful all the time.

About Locke (based on past episodes)
    I think they must have - he knows a lot about the island, has "looked it in the eye", has access to the bunker he and Boone found and now appears to be only sharing what information with the others he deems necessary. I don't think he's necessarily doing it for evil reasons, but he does definitely see a wider picture.

On a separate note, I see Lost is losing (!) $500,000 an episode from the higher production costs of being filmed in Hawaii. They've already cut costs substantially from dropping many of the beach locations in favour of the cave set (actually indoors), but the show still seems to be struggling.

See: http://video.google.com/videopreview?q=Lost%2BABC%2BHawaii&time=1770000&page=1&docid=2606738553581438820&urlcreated=1109175853&chan=KGO&prog=ABC+7+News+at+5PM&date=Wed+Jan+26+2005+at+5%3A00+PM+PST - drop to last box.

(Google Video, by the way, needs to come up with a way to continue to allow you to scroll through the full programmes listed, not just the elements that match. An example of how it works - a combination of screen captures and the closed captioning that accompanies it - here:

http://video.google.com/videopreview?q=Lost%2BLocke&time=705000&page=1&docid=7528536687214218726&urlcreated=1109176287&chan=KGO&prog=Lost+%7C+Whatever+the+Case+May+Be&date=Wed+Jan+5+2005+at+8%3A00+PM+PST

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Wow,a lot of talk about Lost here,Im far too lazy to read all the pages,but Lost is brilliant,makes me wonder why RTE arent picking it up,oh right,its because they are stupid!

Advertisement