Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost [Contains spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

downloading as we speak will have it when i go home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My "cousin" is sending "the tape" to me by "courier" as we speak. Should have it in 3 hours, 6 minutes. God bless "DHL". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

TmB wrote:
    My "cousin" is sending "the tape" to me by "courier" as we speak. Should have it in 3 hours, 6 minutes. God bless "DHL". :D

DHL is a great way to get it. I must make a point of UPS-ing it for longer after it's in. Have a bad habit of just grabbing and running when I'm dying to see stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just watched it and - great as usual! I was
    in tears when they found Charlie dead and were trying to ressucitate him. I tried to argue with himself that I'd only known the characters a few weeks, and that given the island is all about second chances I knew he'd have to survive... didn't stop me.

Anyone else notice Locke seems more rundown this week? As if the conflict and evil in the island is affecting him and his link with it? And what has he and Boone discovered???? Why do I have to wait four weeks!

And Ethan? You kick ass! He was great kicking the crap out of Jack.

A from me. Again. Dammit hurry up next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I just watched it now.

Very tense stuff. Although I think the flashbacks, while good, sort of interupted the flow of things a little.

• Advertisement

oh yes.. In case anyone is interested, I found out what the French transmission was actually saying.
    "it is outside, they are all dead, please help us". And then "If anyone hears this, I'll try to reach the black rock".

How the F**K are we supposed to wait 4 friggin' weeks for the next episode?? :eek:

Another amazing episode, especially the scene ixoy mentioned. Its amazing
    how attached we've become to the characters after only 11 episodes
    . Powerful TV, and by far the best new show this season.

Did anyone think that there was a reference to the Two Towers?
    When they are tracking Charlie and Claire and they find Charlie has left a clue to let them know which way they are going... just like he did with the elven pendant in Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I hate cliffhangers!! I liked the 'Abyss' moment as well. I wasn't as confident of a happy outcome there as I'd read that there will be characters getting killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Great episode - I don't know I am going to able to wait for 4 weeks to find out what happened next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Before I start I will say that I do like some of Alias and JJ Abrams obviously has a fertile mind. I was open to this show and have been extremely disappointed by its predictability. I have just watched part 1 of the pilot and I just can't see what Lost has going for it. All I see is a lot of nicked ideas.

Let's start

Basic concept - Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson
    Plane crash on beach - Castaway, Lord of The Flies
    Thing in jungle - Take your pick of any animal horror movie - Hound of Baskervilles/Predator/any Werewolf movie springs to mind
    Moving trees and animal noises - Jurassic Park

The trailer for Part 2 was on at the end.

And guess what

Group spilts up - Lord of the Flies
    Man with gun - Lord of the Flies

In summary even though I will check out one or two other episodes, I think the scope for long term development of plot is limited. The premise is too simple , they are marooned and they want to be rescued. Tom Hanks did it in two hours and they've all seen the movie !! :D I think it will be hard to convince anyone that they stay stuck on this island for any length of time. Wonder would it have been better to do a mini-series. Would expect it to last only one season.

Hope the details I mention haven't spoilt it too much for anyone but I think you'll find most synopses of show will include all of this and it is pretty obvious what is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

is_that_so wrote:
    Before I start I will say that I do like some of Alias and JJ Abrams obviously has a fertile mind. I was open to this show and have been extremely disappointed by its predictability. I have just watched part 1 of the pilot and I just can't see what Lost has going for it. All I see is a lot of nicked ideas.

Let's start

Basic concept - Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson
    Plane crash on beach - Castaway, Lord of The Flies
    Thing in jungle - Take your pick of any animal horror movie - Hound of Baskervilles/Predator/any Werewolf movie springs to mind
    Moving trees and animal noises - Jurassic Park

The trailer for Part 2 was on at the end.

And guess what

Group spilts up - Lord of the Flies
    Man with gun - Lord of the Flies

In summary even though I will check out one or two other episodes, I think the scope for long term development of plot is limited. The premise is too simple , they are marooned and they want to be rescued. Tom Hanks did it in two hours and they've all seen the movie !! :D I think it will be hard to convince anyone that they stay stuck on this island for any length of time. Wonder would it have been better to do a mini-series. Would expect it to last only one season.

Hope the details I mention haven't spoilt it too much for anyone but I think you'll find most synopses of show will include all of this and it is pretty obvious what is going to happen.

Let's Start

Basic concept - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Plane crash on beach - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Thing in jungle - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Moving trees and animal noises - Guess what....Therefore this can't ever be done again?

You can only watch shows that are 100% purely original?

And the rating are extremely good so it'll last at least 3 seasons I reckon.

I advise you to watch it for a few more episodes (it's worth it) and then come back here and post your thoughts.

is_that_so wrote:
    Before I start I will say that I do like some of Alias and JJ Abrams obviously has a fertile mind. I was open to this show and have been extremely disappointed by its predictability. I have just watched part 1 of the pilot and I just can't see what Lost has going for it. All I see is a lot of nicked ideas
    Firstly, as Raoul Duke says, it's incredibly daft to put down something because of broad similarities. By that token, we should never ever have any show again with cops/investigative units etc. because we've had them all. There should never again be a show involving the relationships of people because there already exists soap operas...

Secondly, you've seen one episode. The show is not predictable and it's got, currently, the best characterisation of any show on TV. I can't think of any other show which has caused me to shed tears as much as this has in the half season we've had so far or care so much about a group of people. There are plenty of original ideas coming too and a great sense of mystery - and this is from someone who craves such creativity, loving "Alias", "Carnivale" , "Twin Peaks", and other more "out there" shows.

Seriously, stick with it. There are lots of others on this thread who will tell you just how damned good it is and who watch a hella lot of TV to be able to compare it with *coughdohdotiecough*. It's the best new show of the season and worthy of everyone's time.

ixoy wrote:
    There are lots of others on this thread who will tell you just how damned good it is and who watch a hella lot of TV to be able to compare it with *coughdohdotiecough*. It's the best new show of the season and worthy of everyone's time.

Funny.

Is That So, you're definitely way off the mark on this one. The individual character flashbacks from episode 3 onwards (compared to just the flashbacks to the crash in the plot) work incredibly well in getting to know these castaways and that *isn't* an element I've seen used this successfully in any other show in a long, long time.

Not alone that, but this does not turn out to be standard monster-on-island fare, nor standard stranded-survivors-must-band-together storytelling. This is unique, with twists and turns everywhere you turn, and the most engrossing bunch of characters I've seen on television in ages. I defy anyone not to care passionately about these people after just a handful of episodes!

Is That So also only appears to have seen one episode, and only HALF of the pilot at that. Far from enough to form an opinion of how the show will go. When I show people the pilot, I've tended to show the original movie version (slightly different music, but it works better as a whole.) I certainly wouldn't advise the pilot to be seen in two 45 mins chunks over too weeks - and I hope E4 have the sense to do a movie-length version.

As for the most recent episode...
    Gah! I was *sure* *sure* *sure* Charlie was a gonner. I think I didn't breathe for the four minutes that scene lingered on. Thank heavens for the magical island!

Despite him being my favourite character, it wouldn't have surprised me at all if Abrams had his death planned from the start. As someone else said, this was what we were told from early on. A magazine article I have on the show from last June omitted to include Claire in the cast photo and I was sure she was going to die early, or in childbirth at that point. (That plus the fact she was only a "Guest Star" on the original pilot. Ironically, Jack wasn't originally written to last beyond the first episode either!!!) So the danger signs were always in my mind; that none of the characters were safe, no matter how much backstory they had, or how much we'd grown to love them. In fact, the MORE as an audience we grow to like them, the more their morality might be an issue!

Anyway, still no word on who Ethan is, but he seems very strong and very skilled at making his way through the jungle, and hanging VH-1 has-been's up in a tree. I still reckon he's probably Alex, given the wanting of Claire's baby. Wouldn't explain his Canadian/American accent, though. Maybe he's a real world serial killer/deranged guy who - by his evil nature - came into contact with the Alexs of the island and they asked him for help...

Hmm. Too much spoiler space. Mini spoiler novel. Sorry!

ixoy wrote:
    Anyone else notice Locke seems more rundown this week? As if the conflict and evil in the island is affecting him and his link with it? And what has he and Boone discovered???? Why do I have to wait four weeks!

I reckon
    they've found where the 'others' have been hiding from the 'monster', or Danielle's transmission site (though it doesn't seem high enough).

Also, notice Walt's ability to continuously roll the numbers he needed for backgammon? The island seems to be helping people gain what they need - life for Charlie, legs for Locke - indeed, the philosopher Locke, now we know he's called John! - and something as seemingly insignificant as the roll of a die for Walt... Question is, what does someone have to give it *back*...

As for the four-week wait... NOOOOO! If we can barely handle this, how will we survive a summer break? At least we have new 24 and Carnivale early in January.

And just be thankful it didn't end on a cliffhanger of
    Charlie hanging up there, or Jack's initially futile attempts at CPR. For CPR read 'beating him up and breaking his ribs'.

In regards to the most recent episode:
    I'm glad I didn't read anything saying a character would die because it left me with no expectations of what may or may not befall Charlie. I've seen "The Abyss" and some part of me knew what might happen (that and the flashback clearly indicating Jack would get to save this patient) but it IS J.J. "Two years gone? What the ****?!" Abrams so nothing was certain (Incidentally, that Alias S2 finale stands as possibly the greatest season finale of all time).

I'm trying to puzzle out if Ethan = Alex. I thought the connection might be made when Said ran back into camp with the news of Rousseau/Delenn and her kid, Alex (who I thought would be a girl). Maybe Claire's baby is to replace Alex for someone - maybe Rousseau never killed the father properly and they want their kid back?

One thing the writers did very well this episode was not to show us Charlie and Claire once they vanished. A weaker show would have shown us them with Ethan during the episode, to reassure us. Instead all we get here were glimpses of their passage, and a brilliantly savage attack by Ethan on Jack and then that horrifying sight of Charlie hanging from the tree (I don't like being made to shed tears Mr TV!!! Tricksy and false!).

Speculation time: What did Locke and Boone discover at the end? Metal yes - but was it a large box? A piece of wreckage? An underground shelter (although, if the latter, the parting shot should have been a hatchway)? And was it fate that had the torch land on it or pure coincidence?

Hmm. Could I have more spoiler stuff in those posts...?

This one is spoiler free.

Agree with the Abrams comment - you just never know, and I think we need to keep that in mind for the rest of the season, and particularly towards the end. He is devious!
    ixoy wrote:
    One thing the writers did very well this episode was not to show us Charlie and Claire once they vanished. A weaker show would have shown us them with Ethan during the episode, to reassure us.

Monkey fudge is right - definitely a homage to The Two Towers here. And definitely a stronger way of hyping up the dramatic tension.
    ixoy wrote:
    Instead all we get here were glimpses of their passage, and a brilliantly savage attack by Ethan on Jack and then that horrifying sight of Charlie hanging from the tree (I don't like being made to shed tears Mr TV!!! Tricksy and false!).

Indeed. One of the TV image-burnt-in-mind moments of the year. Well, that and Sherry Palmer getting a bullet.
    ixoy wrote:
    Speculation time: What did Locke and Boone discover at the end? Metal yes - but was it a large box? A piece of wreckage? An underground shelter (although, if the latter, the parting shot should have been a hatchway)? And was it fate that had the torch land on it or pure coincidence?

Maybe we can make this thread a US-only one and avoid delving into the spoiler abyss once more! (deep breath)
    Ah, a box. I didn't think of that, obvious as it seems now. I just assumed it was a hatch. But if it is, I agree that it's a lost, pardon the pun, cliffhanger opportunity not to show them going in. Also, what with all the banging they did on it, it'll be no surprise if they get caught! ...Not to mention Jack and Kate SCREAMING at each other every five mintues. Was it any wonder Ethan found them?! (He reminds me of Caleb from the final episodes of Buffy, by the way. He certainly can throw a punch like the preacher! He was also the husband in The American version of The Grudge. Which means that any second now that kid will appear and... "Auhhuhhhhuhhhhhh!"

ixoy wrote:
    Firstly, as Raoul Duke says, it's incredibly daft to put down something because of broad similarities. By that token, we should never ever have any show again with cops/investigative units etc. because we've had them all. There should never again be a show involving the relationships of people because there already exists soap operas...
    My points about the show are that I noticed so much about it that was so completely unoriginal that I feel disinclined to watch any more. In other words it didn't convince me to come back again. But for the convrted , enjoy :). I don't feel Im missing out.

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Let's Start

Basic concept - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Plane crash on beach - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Thing in jungle - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Moving trees and animal noises - Guess what....Therefore this can't ever be done again?

I have commented on these above.
    It's not so much the lack of originality as the lack of scope. I wouldn't watch a show where people were stupid enough to stay on an island for more than one season, but you obviously enjoy it and that's cool.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote:
    I wouldn't watch a show where people were stupid enough to stay on an island for more than one season, but you obviously enjoy it and that's cool.
    Yeah, we all wonder each week why the characters don't go down to the island's local airport and fly out. rolleyes.gif

Fair enough, don't watch it. You're the one missing out.

is_that_so wrote:
    It's not so much the lack of originality as the lack of scope. I wouldn't watch a show where people were stupid enough to stay on an island for more than one season, but you obviously enjoy it and that's cool.

Whoops. Ignore. Must have hit enter twice.

Proper reply below.

is_that_so wrote:
    It's not so much the lack of originality as the lack of scope.

If someone is short-sighted enough, you can make that argument about just about any TV show.

Cue just one such Hollywood exec:

"A TV show about a travelling canival troupe which centres on the nature of good and evil? It'll never fly."

"A comedy drama about a dead girl who comes back to life, doomed to live the dead end life in death that she did when she was alive? People won't laugh."

"A family drama about a top New York neurosurgeon who makes a promise to his wife to move to a small town in the middle of nowhere if anything ever happens to her? They won't buy it."

"An action drama told in real time centering on one day's events in the fight against terrorism? People won't stay tuned week to week."

"A space opera about a gang of pirates who find two stow-aways that change their lives? Audiences like Star Trek, with the perfect people and the perfect future."

"A show about the survivors of a crashed airliner on a mysterious island where nothing is as it seems, and the characters' lives are told in flashback? Too limited? It's been done before."

And so on and on. If you don't look to each show on its merits. I agree that some shows work for some people and not for others. But I would never dismiss a series without giving it a fair go, watching at least several episodes before making a call on whether I liked it or not.

Nothing in Lost feels old hat to me. I guarantee this will be the show everyone is talking about when it hits the airwaves here in January. It will be what the Americans like to call a watercooler series. Must-see TV.

The season, incidentally, will only cover their first month-six weeks on the island; that's the reason we've been given small indications about the passage of time (I reckon about two to three weeks have passed so far.)

As for the characters not getting off the island - that would be what they call 'the point'. Have the characters get rescued and you lose the purpose of the show.

I still say that you cannot judge this series on one half of the pilot episode. In fact, some of the moments that made me realise it would be BIG happen after the 45 minute point (Charlie and Kate's flashbacks, Locke's checkers conversation, the transceiver and so on.)

Is That So - I've read opening chapters of books that seemed dull only to go on to wind up with those books among my favourites ever. Same with many, many TV series.

I still think this pilot ranks among the most outstanding ever made for originality.

As Ixoy said, each to their own. But I don't think the unoriginality review will be a common one among those who tune in in January.

/RANT.

(Bit long-winded, I know! Dismissal of a show without seeing enough upon which to judge is second on my list of TV pet peeves after those who dip in and out of something which is meant to be seen week-to-week!)

My comments have touched a nerve. Let me clarify it a bit and then I'll leave you all in peace.
    I actually didn't know what Lost was about before I started watching. Once I did realise, quite simply I lost interest almost instantly and that's where I'm coming from.
    In a nutshell I don't have the remotest interest in watching what the people get up to their island and as I didn't see it as being anywhere near as good as some people in this thread you'll continue to watch and I won't. No harm done :)

is_that_so wrote:
    In a nutshell I don't have the remotest interest in watching what the people get up to their island and as I didn't see it as being anywhere near as good as some people in this thread you'll continue to watch and I won't.
    *deep breath* The reason you didn't see it being as good as others is because they watched a lot bloody more of it than you and are in a much better position to see what's happening. It's not like frakking Gilligan's Island or whatever. There's a lot more going on in the island which is far more than it seems - it ain't just nice trees and beaches...

*focus* La de dum de da da de da

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I bet you'll go back to it - once it airs over here and people start reving about it.

Hyzepher

is_that_so: give it a go. Once the flashbacks start fleshing out the characters, and you see the terrific plot devices on the island, you'll fall in love. Watch at least 3 or 4 episodes, then come back and say you don't like it (I bet you won't)

Hyzepher wrote:
    I bet you'll go back to it - once it airs over here and people start reving about it.

LOL! Is It So, you'll have to come back in a few weeks and let us know if that happens...

Well I have given it another go and it's just not for me. Think I've contributed enough comments :rolleyes: . Enjoy the rest of it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They've only been there about 2 weeks, it's hardly unreasonable that they haven't been rescued yet. I just love the greenness of the show, I enjoy the scenery/photography almost as much as the stories.
    Interesting point about
    people gaining something back from the island. And what is it with Claire's baby? Why have these people gone to such lengths to kidnap it, possibly including causing the plane to crash?

Advertisement