Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost [Contains spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

RTE supposedly have the rights. TG4 don't, TV3 don't. They probably plan to air it sometime in the far distant future, late at night when no one is watching... E4 were due to begin in January, but dropped it at the last minute for Point Pleasant. Once that is canned - as I expect it will be - they'll have a choice of starting Lost without much fanfare, or continuing as planned until May/June and risk it getting lost (pardon the pun) amid a new run of Big Brother. (Remember, there are way less repeats during BB.)

Either way, I reckon the rights holders here for Lost have missed/are missing the boat on this one big time. Less people watch TV during summer, and that's where they plan to launch it? They really should have kicked it off alongside the fuss for Desperate Housewives (alongside Lost, the breakout hit of 2004/5's season in the US.)

If RTE allow E4 to get to Lost first, then, yep, they really are extraordinarily stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

A friend of mine e-mailed RTE and they said they didnt even have the rights to Lost,which I found amazingly stupid! C4's decision was also really stupid.Point Pleasant is terrible and it wont last long in the states with the ratings on a freefall and it being on the death network that is FOX.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Did any one pick up on the hint that
    Kate might be a terrorist. Could this be the relevence of the little plane?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Whatever the significance of the plane, it was important enough for someone else to put in a safety deposit box - so probably universally valuable. Kate beigna terrorist doesn't hold up when we view her back stories - especially her time with the old lad in Australia.

Hyzepher

tvnutz wrote:
    A friend of mine e-mailed RTE and they said they didnt even have the rights to Lost,which I found amazingly stupid! C4's decision was also really stupid.Point Pleasant is terrible and it wont last long in the states with the ratings on a freefall and it being on the death network that is FOX.

RTE also said they didn't have the rights to 24 back in January, but possibly now do. It's very unclear. I do know for sure though that TG4 and TV3 don't currently have the rights either, and that Buena Vista International Television (who distribute Touchstone's programming here) have "signed a new multi-year agreement for its series and features with Ireland's RTE channels." (so says TBI magazine for January 2005.)

Whether they say they have the rights or not, it still looks like it's RTE for Lost on terrestrial broadcast in Ireland, but again, ridiculously not happening any time soon.

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote:

I'm going to be a pain again, folks... See Hyzepher's spoiler was cool, cos it was speculation and based on what we have seen, not future episodes. Same with Monkeyfudge's before that, but I nearly didn't read either for fear it was 'info from the future'.

Is there any way we can either have a separate thread (I'm sure the mods would freak) for Lost which does contain future info, and a separate on which just concentrates on speculation and the episodes which have aired (US transmissions) OR can we define the spoiler at the start so it goes

Kate theory (episodes screened)
    Blah, blah here
    versus: Kate info (advanced info)
    etc. etc. etc.

Or some other system which might make what's contained within clearer on whether it relates to new information or unscreened episodes.

Cheers. (Sorry if I'm being fussy - just have a complete hatred of knowing things in advance.)

I agree with this.

And for the record I'd never talk about information that hasn't been revealed in the series yet. As well... I don't want to know.

One other thing that might be a good idea is mentioning how far into the series you are talking about. It might be the weekend before I get to see episode 17. And I'm sure that there will be plenty of things revealed here about it before I get to see it.

I only got to see 16 yesterday... but when this is the case I just avoid the forum and don't open the email updates.

We may only need a new thread for Plot Theory - like they do on ABC. This thread would concentrate on people's ideas coming from aired episodes

Hyzepher

Yeah, same here. I'll probably see 17 tonight, but on the off-chance I wouldn't get to it until the weekend, I'd avoid here like the plague until next week. So while technically the spoilers do their job, I still wouldn't read on until I was up to date episodes-wise for fear of reading something... I'm sure there's an ideal solution... Maybe we could use the Post Title function to describe the post's content?

Like the Plot Theory thread idea, but again, it would be important that this contained theories based on episodes aired, and not on information from upcoming ones (unless properly spoiler-ified...)... and even then the same issue of marking what the spoiler is about/where its info comes from would be important.

The thing about Lost is that alot of speculation flies around about upcoming episodes but there is very little known. Even some of the bigger spoiler sites only give a general idea of what can be expected - nothing that would give the plot away.

So for the most part we are really dealing with when people get to view the aired episodes

Hyzepher

• Advertisement

But is it fair to say that even knowing who the episode is about (the flashback) and such general blurbs as "The islanders trek to the Black Rock..." (I made that up) is almost too much.

So I agree that the info on future episodes is quite limited, but I just happen to think that even that limited info can sometimes be too much for those of us who'd rather be in the dark until the moment we press play.

doh.ie wrote:
    RTE also said they didn't have the rights to 24 back in January, but possibly now do. It's very unclear. I do know for sure though that TG4 and TV3 don't currently have the rights either, and that Buena Vista International Television (who distribute Touchstone's programming here) have "signed a new multi-year agreement for its series and features with Ireland's RTE channels." (so says TBI magazine for January 2005.)

Whether they say they have the rights or not, it still looks like it's RTE for Lost on terrestrial broadcast in Ireland, but again, ridiculously not happening any time soon.

Ye I heard thye didnt have 24 either,which is strange,it clashes with ER on a Sunday on Sky,so I have to record ER.I think anyone here could probabyl run RTE better!lol

tvnutz wrote:
    Ye I heard thye didnt have 24 either,which is strange,it clashes with ER on a Sunday on Sky,so I have to record ER.I think anyone here could probabyl run RTE better!lol

24 does get a fair few repeats across the week, and ER is quite close on C4/E4.

Just to be clear on my above post, by the way; Lost is made by Touchstone, and the RTE deal is for its programmes, which makes me assume Lost will have to end up on RTE.

As for 24, they originally denied it over on another thread, but later suggested it may start "later in the year" when questioned by another boards.ie user.

Guess we will have to wait and see. I think Ill e-mail them just to annoy them! Although they hardly even give solid info.The 2nd season finale of CSI:Miami was supposed to air last week and the 3rd season to start this week,but no sign of either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ixoy in the house talking about 1x17 '... in Translation' (that makes 'Lost... in Translation' in case you're slow like me..)

SO DON'T READ BEHIND THE SPOILERS UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN 1X17 - '... in Translation' WHICH AIRED WED 23RD FEBRUARY 2005 IN AMERICA!

(think that's clear enough)
    A so-so episode. I didn't find Jin's backstory particularly interesting - I'd have liked to have seen more of exactly what he had to do for Sun's father: kill people?
    The whole subsequent Sun/Jin marriage breakdown was a little bit too soapy - well acted and all, but not that interesting. Revealing Jin spoke English may have been a "I didn't see that coming" for Hurley, but we've known for weeks and it wasn't as dramatically revealing for the viewer like myself.

The raft bit - that was alright. It made sense for Michael to suspect Jin although, at the same time, he's surely seen 'Lost' and know that because Jinn is the most obvious it means Jin was the least likely to do it. It being Walt is something I didn't see coming (I suspected Locke, as I'm sure others did). I don't think Walt set it on fire using materials... probably his mind after an errant thought (notice how he won again at the game). I assume Locke won't misuse this information.

Speaking of Locke, him pointing out the dangers on the island was potentially interesting. Next week is the last episode before a four week break so fingers crossed that, given Locke's words, we'll see some island action to lead us into the hiatus.

Oh and I didn't spot it at the time but make sure you look closely at the TV when Jin's delivering the message the first time!

Best bit of the episode: The montage starting up, me going "Ah ffs, this is stupid 'coz Hurley's batteries would have run out by now" and then they just stop. I didn't stop laughing for about half a minute. Yay for Hurley :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ixoy wrote:
    Ixoy in the house talking about 1x17 '... in Translation' (that makes 'Lost... in Translation' in case you're slow like me..)

SO DON'T READ BEHIND THE SPOILERS UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN 1X17 - '... in Translation' WHICH AIRED WED 23RD FEBRUARY 2005 IN AMERICA!

(think that's clear enough)
    A so-so episode. I didn't find Jin's backstory particularly interesting - I'd have liked to have seen more of exactly what he had to do for Sun's father: kill people?
    The whole subsequent Sun/Jin marriage breakdown was a little bit too soapy - well acted and all, but not that interesting. Revealing Jin spoke English may have been a "I didn't see that coming" for Hurley, but we've known for weeks and it wasn't as dramatically revealing for the viewer like myself.

The raft bit - that was alright. It made sense for Michael to suspect Jin although, at the same time, he's surely seen 'Lost' and know that because Jinn is the most obvious it means Jin was the least likely to do it. It being Walt is something I didn't see coming (I suspected Locke, as I'm sure others did). I don't think Walt set it on fire using materials... probably his mind after an errant thought (notice how he won again at the game). I assume Locke won't misuse this information.

Speaking of Locke, him pointing out the dangers on the island was potentially interesting. Next week is the last episode before a four week break so fingers crossed that, given Locke's words, we'll see some island action to lead us into the hiatus.

Oh and I didn't spot it at the time but make sure you look closely at the TV when Jin's delivering the message the first time!

Best bit of the episode: The montage starting up, me going "Ah ffs, this is stupid 'coz Hurley's batteries would have run out by now" and then they just stop. I didn't stop laughing for about half a minute. Yay for Hurley :D

Damn, I thought I was the only one who
    saw Hurley on Korean TV :D

Ep 17 - "...In Translation" (no spoilers beyond discussion & speculation on ep 17 and before.)
    Damn, I thought I was the only one who
    saw Hurley on Korean TV :D
    Damn! Damn! Wish I'd spotted that first time around. (mental note: Must be more eagle-eyed in future for this kind of thing.) I thought Daniel Dae Kim was especially good performance-wise in this episode, so must have been completely distracted by his acting not to have spotted the TV.

Also wondered later on if they had refilmed the
    bathroom/blood scene from episode 6 (the Sun flashback ep) to add in the new reaction shots (Jin's, not Sun's), or if it was planned and filmed when the original episode was made. Would have been a nightmare for continuity otherwise. Like the way the same scene showed up in both, though. Presumably the dog given by the Environment minister guy was the one Jin gave to Sun in ep 6.

I hope Hurley's lack of batteries doesn't stop music being used on the show. The previous tunes used, "Wash Away" in ep3 and the one from ep 6 were pretty well suited.

I agree that the 'shock' (for everyone else) of Sun speaking English was greatly lessened for the audience by our having heard her speak it so often up until now - in fact, when they took an act break there, I half found myself not realising the point of taking a break there - that everyone else didn't know she spoke it! Also liked hearing the incomprehensible English spoken by the others from Jin's point of view. Which means he also missed out understanding Sun telling him she was going to leave him. At least they didn't get the two batch together - while it seemed exactly what would happen, it was pleasing to see them take the other route. The cinematography of Sun's taking off the towel in the sunset at the end was quite beautiful as well.

As for Walt; like that it was one of the group who burned the raft and not one of the "others" after all. More so considering I wasn't expecting that mystery to be resolved at all. Hard to say whether it was with his mind or physically - if it was with his mind, it means he does know about his abilities. This could be backed up by his non-concerned, unsurprised reaction to the bird smashing into the window in "Special". His reasoning seemed a tad hollow to me, unless we consider that maybe the island is having an effect on him which distorts rational decision-making. It seemed odd that with all the trauma experienced there so far that he would want to stay versus returning to civilisations and having Michael promise not to move around. Considering all his life's constant moving was caused by his mother's job relocating, there is no basis for him assuming life will be like that with Michael. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed pretty weak as an explanation to me (unless we factor in island influence.) I do like, though, the fact that Locke instantly understood and shared his opinion of not wanting to go.

Overall, good ep. I'm not as bothered by lack of action on the island when the characters really grow or we lean a lot more about them in an episode. But compared to last week's Sawyer one, this was much stronger for me.
    Maybe it's because there were a few more tidbits in this one from Locke and others than in 16.

Double post - deleted.

I can't remember, but
    Do we know exactly how Walt's mother died? Were there suspicious circumstances? (wondering if Walt was somehow responsible)

**** Ep 17 - "...In Translation" (no spoilers beyond discussion & speculation on ep 17 and before.) *****

This system works nicely....
    They really did manage to fit a lot into this episode. Asides from the Sun and Jin, almost all the main characters were given something to do. But mainly you had some character developement with Sayid and Shannon and Walt and Micheal. It was quite well done as none of it felt rushed through either.

I spotted Hurly on the TV first time around... but I had to wind things back to make sure it wasn't just some fat woman... It will be very interesting to see how that one works out. That also puts things into a very tight period of time before the crash. I'd assumed that Sun's flashbacks were from a few years ago, but it seems they were married only about 6 months ago.

I'd suspected either Walt or Locke for the fire. It may be possible that Locke knew that Walt did it as he was on his way to do it himself at the time, he was certainly very quick to turn the burning of the boat to whatever agenda it is that he has.

Oh and I did love the Sun fan service towards the end... ha...

• Advertisement

Hmm. Hadn't considered that. But I like the idea a lot...
    She did get weak around the same time as he was clamoring for attention, "[birds talk] Brian... you're not listening...! I said, YOU'RE NOT LISTENING...!" I wouldn't discount it, but she was perfectly healthy until shortly before her death (about a week), so unless Walt's abilities were only manifesting themselves at the same time, she would've lived a pretty ordinary life with him until then.

**** Ep 17 - "...In Translation" (no spoilers beyond discussion & speculation on ep 17 and before.) *****
    That also puts things into a very tight period of time before the crash. I'd assumed that Sun's flashbacks were from a few years ago, but it seems they were married only about 6 months ago.
    I'd originally suspected the trip on the Oceanic flight was their honeymoon, but that doesn't appear to be the case now. He had to deliver "watches", as you do. But I agree it's all less than six months before the crash. Enough time for him to be in his management training, see what her father was like and for both of them to become unable to look at each other.
    Oh and I did love the Sun fan service towards the end... ha...

Like I said, exceptionally good. Er, cinematography. ;)

doh.ie wrote:

I'd originally suspected the trip on the Oceanic flight was their honeymoon, but that doesn't appear to be the case now. He had to deliver "watches", as you do.

Oooooh....
    I'd forgotten about the watches. There is obviously something alot more to them than just being normal watches. That may be why he was so freaked out at Micheal walking around with one of them. At the time we'd suspected it to be some sort of honor thing... but we know now that he doesn't respect Sun's father... so why get so desperate about the watch?

** Speculation - ep 17 - the watches. **
    Oooooh....
    I'd forgotten about the watches. There is obviously something alot more to them than just being normal watches. That may be why he was so freaked out at Micheal walking around with one of them. At the time we'd suspected it to be some sort of honor thing... but we know now that he doesn't respect Sun's father... so why get so desperate about the watch?

Ahhhh. Clever. Clever. Either
    it is actually just a Korean honour thing (Michael didn't deserve it, or it was Jin's property), they're expensive and Jin planned to steal them and not to go back to Korea, there is a much greater significance to them, or it's just bad writing and the writers didn't realise they'd shown earlier allegiance to Sun's dad. (But I hope they're not that shoddy.)

Maybe there is satellite tracking GPS technology inside the watches... And shouldn't there be a caseload of 'em somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My opinion of episode 17.
    Didn't enjoyed Jin's backstory that much. Thought his dealings with Sun's father was somewhat obvious from Sun's episode with him arriving in with the blood all over his hands.

The raft story wasn't bad. It was actually a shame it burned as it was actually starting to look pretty decent. Didn't see the revelation that Walt burned it coming. What threw me off that he offered to help Michael built a new raft after Michael apologised and salvaged through the burned remains.

On a seperate point... the Sayid and Shannon thing just doesn't seem right to me! Maybe it was learning the origin of who wrote Sayid's letter a couple of episodes back. Oh, and Shannon is bound to find that letter and question it sooner or later (probably in the continuation of Sayid's backstory in episode 21).

Also enjoyed the Damien Rice music cue at the end (and how it ended abruptly with Hurley's CD Player batteries running out). I agree with Doh.ie that the music on the show so far has been very well suited. Especially 'I Shall Not Walk Alone' by The Blind Boys Of Alabama (which was the gospel song at the end of episode 9, i think.... it was Confidence Man, Saywer's first backstory)

Judging from next week's promo (see below), we'll be taking a break from the serious character development in the last 2 episodes. And returning to some action.

Oh, and i spotted Hurley on the TV first time round, by the way! :D

PS - As usual, here's the promo for next week's episode.. 118 - Numbers.. looks like quite an exciting episode.

basquille wrote:
    My opinion of episode 17.
    Didn't enjoyed Jin's backstory that much. Thought his dealings with Sun's father was somewhat obvious from Sun's episode with him arriving in with the blood all over his hands.
    But not in a way that we expected... I thought this actually redeemed Jin's character a lot in that we now know that he was trying to *save* a man's life, and had planned to leave the employment of Sun's father. Those elements were not clear in Sun's flashback, and I Jin's flashback went some way towards redeeming his portrayal as a cruel character.

(Of course, the environment minister's life may never have been in mortal danger, and this could just have been an attempt by Sun's father to force Jin to act.)

What I did find odd about Jin was his eagerness to give up on his marraige considering the length he had gone to both marry her and to decide to remain in the US once his trip was over. Seems a little too unrealistic

Hyzepher wrote:
    What I did find odd about Jin was his eagerness to give up on his marraige considering the length he had gone to both marry her and to decide to remain in the US once his trip was over. Seems a little too unrealistic
    I have a feeling he's trying to get her to resent him because he knows his life is in danger due to the shady dealings with her Dad, or he reckons it would kill her to know what a scummer Papa Sun is. Either way, I think he's sacrificing himself to save her in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

** 419 - Numbers ***
    Well, what did everyone think of Hurley's backstory?

Thought the episode was pretty good.. a little uneven in the way that we didn't learn too much about Hurley's past (such as why he's called Hurley). Also expected more humour in Hurley's backstory.

Thought Locke's present to Claire was nice... but are we ever gonna find out what's in that hatch? But being as the hatch has a relation to Hurley's 'cursed' numbers, i'd expect it to be opened and explored soon.

Also, notice the reference to Hurley being a shareholder in Locke's box company?

No more Lost for 6 weeks!?! :(

PS - See you in 6 weeks for discussion of the next episode! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Really enjoyed this one!
    Hurley's backstory was interesting, laced with black humour. Liked the way it's one of the first stories to directly tie in with the island - in fact good to see them tie a few more threads together. And there's plenty of scope for more backstory with the link to Hurley's mental problems. Hurley rocks dude.

Glad I caught the link this week with the box company :)

I suppose we could have had a bit more with Rousseau but maybe we'll see exactly what was said between Hugo/Hurley at some point...

And those numbers - what more significance do they have other than some numbers representing things (16 = no. of years between the crashes, 42 = life, the universe and everything)..

But wahhh! Six bleedin' weeks! Stupid US schedules!

Advertisement