Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Files

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So why do you keep bringing it up on relation to this current discussion about children then? Trying to muddy the waters.

social transition, puberty blockers and cross sex hormones is path to that treatment and is not harmless, or reversible, a fact that is far from what the lies activists like to spread. Luckily it looks like this will be stopped now, therefore preventing the needless maiming of many children. Who would be upset that kids aren't won't be needlessly physically and mentally harmed? If they are adults and still feel the same then go ahead. All evidence points to the fact that for the majority of gender questioning kids this won't be the case and they will be happy in their bodies.

Also, teenage girls have had their breast removed by the NHS due to gender dysphoria so it's even a lie to say surgery isnt offered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Shoog

16 is the very lowest age any of those intervention can be considered, typically it much older.

I have no issues with that and at that age transgender people have been fully aware of their condition from around 7 years old. To not offer appropriate treatment is abusive and would not be tollorated in any other medical field.

Well I, and may other people, including those who have had it done and regretted it, have issues with 16 year olds being allowed to choose to have their breasts removed. 16 is not an adult.

And no, it's not a given these days that they will have been aware from age 7. Many kids are now showing no signs at all until it suddenly manifests itself. That is why it's a problem. Most of them aren't transgender at all and if left alone will grow out of these feelings. this is reflected in the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You must be aware though that it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether anyone is or isn’t considered an adult, but rather it has everything to do with the capacity of the child to be able to consent to their own medical treatment:

In late 2020, Bell v Tavistock considered whether under-16s with gender dysphoria could be Gillick competent to consent to receiving puberty blockers. Due to the unique specifics of that treatment, the High Court concluded that in such cases the answer will almost always be 'no', a priori. In late 2021, the Court of Appeal overturned Bell v Tavistock, as the clinic's policies and practices had not been found to be unlawful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillick_competence

And what you’re suggesting in your second paragraph isn’t reflected by facts, it’s reflected by the dearth of evidence - clinically significant data and research which is appropriate for each country given the variance in population statistics, culture, political climate and laws in each jurisdiction. It’s a bit like the historical claims of homosexuality among young men in society being an aberration, and that it was influenced by their mothers, while at the same time introducing legislation which made homosexual acts illegal. It was claimed there weren’t many gay men in society then either, as if the reasons weren’t obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭reclose

Are you sure climate change denying, pro fossil fuel, being against critical race theory, and fracking are right wing ideologies?

Not agreeing with something doesn’t make it the extreme end of a political ideology spectrum.

They could just simply be ideas or philosophies you do not agree with or believe in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Dr. Cass said that treatment centres for gender confused children and adolescents should be set up, should be staffed with people from a broad range of medical and psychological disciplines, and should aim to reduce waiting lists specifically because this will allow a qualified clinician or team of clinicians from a broad background to see the child as soon as they express gender-based confusion or discomfort, and start working with them before some primary school teacher with a 2:2 in Geography has time to try and help with 'social transition' (which carries, as stated earlier, risk of serious psychological harm).

She also suggested that these gender clinics be embedded with or near to existing children's mental health services, where clinicians should also work to ensure they are used to recognising and dealing with other mental health issues, many of which gender confused children usually suffer with, and with issues like autism and dealing with looked after (state care) children, since they all tended to be massively overrepresented in GIDs.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

No idea if this was posted about already because I've been pretty busy for a while, but some Mayo Clinic researchers released a preprint last week that showed that puberty blockers cause atrophy and damage in the testicles of a very large percentage of boys who take them, almost certainly leading to fertility issues. They also found an increase in the presence of small calcium clusters in the testicles of boys who had previously been on PBs - those calcium deposits have been linked to testicular cancer.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

She said all those things - but never disputed the need to acknowledge the reality of children with acute gender dysphoria. She never said that this wasn't a real condition and she never said that many children would not go onto need all the services transgender person would seek. She never agreed with the commonly held belief among transphobic people that the children would grow out of it. She never suggested that the purpose of having gender clinics closely attached to mental health clinics was to somehow allow children to be talked out of it. Gender dysphoric children suffer mental health issues because they are frequently persecuted by their community and families.

Dr Cass has produced a measured and mostly helpful report which is widely accepted as been helpful among transgender advocacy groups. The only issue they generally express is that it is open to misrepresentation by people such as yourself.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Augme

Telling children thar gender identity is mythetical and that if they are questioning their gender identity that they need serious psychological help is abuse. Since you think that's perfectly normal and healthy behaviour we Will just have to agree disagree.

Can you link to the education curriculum that is teaching that "these feelings are permanent".

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

Report after report, it's all unravelling.

It takes some extreme degree of denialism and, coupled to that, sheer arrogance, to attempt to claim to know better than those who have independently conducted detailed, rigorous research.

When evidence is presented against a position, then it's time to change your mind — not double down even further.

Governments should listen to and respond to these reports — immediately.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

You keep referencing Cass but most of what you say isn't in the report.

"Most people have been aware of their condition from 7 years of age. Note the exponential growth for adolescent boys but particularly girls.

You said previously the vast increase in numbers was as a result of societal acceptance. Cass disagrees. See point 35 below.

If you are going to reference the report as a vindication of your beliefs, read it fully before misquoting it or seeing what you want to see.

What is glaring obvious to me an ever increasing number of young people, particularly girls, are struggling in their teenage years.

Figuring that out should be our starting point.

The report makes no definitive claims about the increase, but certainly social acceptance is a significant factor as accepted in the part you referenced.

The report doesn't totally vindicate my position but it certainly doesn't vindicate your either. Waving it in my face as proof that there has been widespread malpractice and abuse is simply untrue and not what the report says at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

No sorry, that doesn’t work any more. The veil is lifted. Dr Cass has reported.

I suggest you read the actual report and not just what Stonewall and their fellow defendants to be want you to think.

I’d say ask Kiera Bell but that poor kid has been through enough.

She never agreed with the commonly held belief among transphobic people that the children would grow out of it.

Why don't you try reading the report and get back to us?

I don't have a position, I don't know.

Cass doesn't believe societal acceptance alone can explain the increase; particularly where is an almost new demographic of teenage girls.

This increase has occurred at the same time as an overall increase in teenage mental health issues.

Societal changes amplified by social media may explain some of it, but until we do proper research, keep proper records, keep an open mind we are not going to find out.

As it stands we are currently failing our children. Too controlled in the real world but left run wild in the online one.

Widely accepted as helpful? Certainly seems to me that the activists are losing their **** about this report and going on a rampage of abuse on social media about it. I mean, abusing people is their default position but they are definitely in a particularly bad spiral about it.

Youre right though, the likes of mermaids are being quite measured about it and trying to distance themselves from and even deny the fact that they encouraged medication like puberty blockers and hormones for kids. They know the tide is turning.

I've never once used the word mythical about anyone's gender identity. Not sure where you're getting that from. However, its a fact that most kids will grow out of it, and a fact that most will be gay. A small minority won't, but to save harm for more children, a wait and see approach is for the best. Saying that is not abuse.

Read some of the accounts of young detransitioners. That shouldn't happen to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Yeah. Damn children do not come with manuals for how to operate them :) And unfortunately the most training we get is all too often from watching how our own parents did it for us and doing our best to take or reject aspects of that as we imagine did well for us.

I've kept my own kids mostly away from the online world and given them a healthy (I hope) mix of control and freedom in the real world. But even there I get some push back (mostly online admittedly where someone will always push back against something just because it's there - usually without any reasoning for you to consider whether they have a point or not) as if not automatically giving them a smart phone is somehow abusive - or training them martial arts since they were toddlers or to use guns from age 10 is some other kind of horror.

But so far they seem very healthy collected self confident mentally stable kids exuding joy, curiosity, empathy and well being. So fingers crossed I haven't F'ed them up yet or won't in the future.

I have never had a dog in the fight of Transgender issues, or any formed opinion. I did have a very comical encounter recently on the subject which (medium story short) turned out to be someone who was trying to exploit me in the hope of going online viral. I must tell that story sometime but it's so recent I am still processing it. But other than that one incident my entire "real world" existence has not even encountered the issue. If I was not online I would literally never hear or see it.

I have followed a couple of the threads here like the sports one - but unfortunately the only two posters regularly supporting one side of the debate in that thread are poor orators and debaters in general and even worse in that particular thread so I do not think I am getting a coherent or convincing two way discussion there.

But interestingly enough I have never gendered any aspect of their upbringing, education, hobbies, pursuits or anything at all. I can think of nothing where I have treated or engaged with any of the kids differently based on which sex or gender they are. I would be surprised if they came to the position of feeling they are in the wrong gender because they seem - much like myself - not to feel or act or intuit that they are any particular "gender" at all.

I do not feel like a man or consider myself to be a man. I do not wonder how to be a better man or wonder what would make me more of a man. I am simply an individual person and they feel that way too it seems from talking to them. Perhaps the stronger a child feels gendered by their family or society - the more likely they are to feel at one or at odds with that gender.

But the oldest (13f) is only just coming to adolescence now so who knows what new bag of experience that is about to open for all of us :)

As it stands we are currently failing our children. 

Speak for yourself. How other people raise their children is none of my concern, just as how I raise my own child is none of their concern. It’s the State is failing children by having children whose parents cannot afford treatment on lengthy waiting lists of years, and proposing clinics in Belgium - the services don’t exist in Ireland because the adults involved are too preoccupied bickering amongst themselves because all of them want their own way, and none of them are getting their own way. Meanwhile families who can afford it are going down the route of private healthcare, and those who can’t afford it and don’t want anyone to know are sourcing treatments and availing of offers from strangers because they’re desperately trying to do what they believe is best for their children and their families, frightened for their children’s safety and their children’s future.

However, its a fact that most kids will grow out of it, and a fact that most will be gay.

That isn’t a fact though. The whole point of seeking treatment for gender incongruence, is to treat the distress caused by gender incongruity. Children don’t grow out of it, they’re treated for it, those who are seen anyway, and their sexual orientation is neither here nor there. It’s like saying that most people who are ill who go to hospital, emerge from hospital well. It’s rather obvious why, and equally obvious that if they were not seen, there is no record of them ever being ill before their untimely demise.

It’s why you can read the testimony of people who have chosen to detransition, and you can’t read the testimony of those people who appeared to have nothing wrong with them who have departed without warning. That shouldn’t happen, but it does, because mental health services in this country are chronically inadequate and underfunded - they’re only in a position to treat a small number of patients exhibiting the mildest symptoms of distress.

There’s nothing inappropriate about the wait and see approach, in circumstances where it is appropriate; there’s a lot wrong with the wait and see approach when it is used inappropriately to deny a patient treatment based upon one’s own personal beliefs. That’s why there are generally multidisciplinary teams involved, from social workers to psychologists to psychiatrists, because the aim is to treat the condition while at the same time being mindful of the person’s welfare, healthcare, their legal rights, and the legal obligations of the professionals involved in any particular case. Same as any other patient undergoing treatment in any other circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Banning all trans care, as is happening in some States,…

I don't particularly follow how this is all panning out in the US so I read this CNN report on it…

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/06/politics/states-banned-medical-transitioning-for-transgender-youth-dg/index.html

Gender-affirming care is medically necessary, evidence-based care that uses a multidisciplinary approach to help a person transition from their assigned gender — the one the person was designated at birth — to their affirmed gender, the gender by which one wants to be known.

But the Cass review exposed that it is NOT evidence based, therefore the people causing a panic over it were thoroughly right to do so.

To me I don't know how you could say, specifically in the US at least, that it is not being driven deliberately as a wedge issue.

I'm not saying that, I'm staying it did not originate as a wedge issue. The gender wars in the UK were going on for a number of years mostly online before any UK politician got involved in their capacity as a MP, and it was in fact the Labour MP Rosie Duffield a left winger, who first broached the topic in the HoC publicly. Being a leftist she was hardly trying to whip up a populist wedge issue. So any hint of a suggestion that all these gender wars are the result of populist right wing types is false. That they got in on the act later to me is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭plodder

I just meant permanent in the sense that it couldn’t be temporary or a phase, and is basically innate. Schools aren’t supposed to question it. Here’s one definition of gender identity I found in a guide for schools endorsed by the Dept Of Education

Gender identity is an innate, largely
    inflexible characteristic of each individual’s
    personality which is generally established
    by the age of four

There’s no good evidence that this is true. Dr Cass’s researchers were (literally) “thwarted” from being able to establish exactly how flexible/temporary/permanent gender identity actually is, by the lack of co-operation from the adult gender clinics.

There’s no good evidence that this is true.

There is plenty of good evidence which demonstrates that this is true. Most children for example have no cause to question their gender identity, and those that do, are doing so from an early age. It was John Money’s early attempts to prove his theories that actually led to thousands of children suffering because of his efforts to prove that gender identity is not innate and could be manipulated by social and medical interventions. His efforts have been thoroughly debunked.

Dr. Cass’ researchers were thwarted from being able to establish anything due to the lack of cooperation from adult gender identity clinics likely because they too, like the Tavistock, are unlikely to maintain proper records. That’s an administrative issue, which leads to the issue of a lack of reliable data from which useful information can be obtained in order to serve patients better. It’s not so much related to the question of gender identity, and more closely related to the issue of what types of treatments are available and what they are based on. That’s why the lack of evidence is such a problem, because it puts children in the same position as John Money had tried to do in order to promote his own theories and protect his reputation.

"That’s an administrative issue"

A rather novel explanation for widespread ideological capture, let's blame the office manager rather than the clinicians and the institutions themselves.

Nothing else to see here, we'll keep records in the future.

Well when your argument starts from the premise that there IS widespread ideological capture, there’s no point in my arguing that there isn’t. Instead however, I can demonstrate evidence of the point I was making given how from clinicians on the front lines dealing directly with patients, right up to Trustees, failed to maintain adequate and accurate records for their patients. This is what is meant by an administration issue, because that’s what it is, and not a clinical issue - there is no idea of what clinical issues do or don’t have sufficient evidence to make any determination about treatment one way or the other.

In the absence of any evidence, it’s only prudent to err on the side of caution, not just in the interests of patient safety or clinical decisions about treatment or management decisions about policy development, but also simply to protect the organisation or institution from any potential legal liability. See the earlier case in relation to the clinic in Florence, whereas in the UK, following a Judicial Review during which the Tavistock failed to provide any sort of evidence (because their clinicians and management record keeping ability was complete shyte), and in spite of their inability to document pretty much anything, it was the clinics policies and practices were not found to be unlawful:

In late 2020, Bell v Tavistock considered whether under-16s with gender dysphoria could be Gillick competent to consent to receiving puberty blockers. Due to the unique specifics of that treatment, the High Court concluded that in such cases the answer will almost always be 'no', a priori. In late 2021, the Court of Appeal overturned Bell v Tavistock, as the clinic's policies and practices had not been found to be unlawful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillick_competence

By your rationale, the UK Court of Appeals has also fallen victim to this widespread ideological capture you speak of. And you claim identifying an administrative issue as an administrative issue is novel? Seems everyone should need to update their definitions… or, perhaps not, and refrain from attributing to malice that which is more adequately explained by stupidity (or incompetence, should I be required to be polite about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Augme

I never claimed you said used the word mythical. You asked me to show where the abuse was in the post that I referenced and that was the abuse I was referring to. Specifically

One particular concern is that our curriculum currently teaches mythical 'gender identity' as fact

I have also never claimed taking a wait and see approach is abuse.

To be fair to him, I don’t think it’s plodder himself was making that point, but rather his point was that’s the point people make, that gender identity, what they consider to be a myth, is being taught as part of the curriculum in education.

They’re wrong about the myth part of it, correct about the fact that it is being taught as part of the curriculum in education, as part of the SPHE curriculum in the Junior Cycle:

https://archive.ph/YCkfM

That’s completely ignoring the facts that not only have schools always been responsible for the delivery of the RSE and SPHE curriculum in their schools in accordance with the ethos of the school, but schools require parents consent to permit their children to participate in the class during time when the lessons are being delivered. This part of the article in particular, given previous references in this discussion to widespread ideological capture, is quite something:

The draft document attracted criticism from the Catholic Secondary School Parents Association which accused policymakers of “seeking to promote an ideology that refuses to acknowledge basic biological facts in favour of a new gender self-identity doctrine”.

The Association of Patrons and Trustees of Catholic Schools said Catholic school ethos must be accommodated to take account of the “constitutionally protected right of patrons to run their schools from a faith-based perspective”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭plodder

There is plenty of good evidence which demonstrates that this is
    true. Most children for example have no cause to question their gender
    identity, and those that do, are doing so from an early age. It was John
    Money’s early attempts to prove his theories that actually led to
    thousands of children suffering because of his efforts to prove that
    gender identity is not innate and could be manipulated by social and
    medical interventions. His efforts have been thoroughly debunked.

I think there's a false equivalence there. Children whose gender and sex are congruent have no understanding of any distinction between sex and gender. They are the same thing. What does it mean for such a child to have a fixed gender identity at age 4? That they understand the anatomical difference between boys and girls? That is not very surprising. Whatever it means, it doesn't follow imo that 4 year old children who are questioning their gender, have a view that remains fixed for the rest of their lives.

What does gender even mean to a (questioning) 4 year old? Is it not whatever they take in from their parents and siblings? To argue that it is innate and independent of the environment sounds a lot like the idea of a soul, which is something that has to be accepted on faith.

In any case, the huge increase in children questioning their gender has been teenagers, not four year olds.

Dr. Cass’ researchers were thwarted from being able to establish anything
    due to the lack of cooperation from adult gender identity clinics likely
    because they too, like the Tavistock, are unlikely to maintain proper
    records.
    That’s an administrative issue, which leads to the issue of a
    lack of reliable data from which useful information can be obtained in
    order to serve patients better. It’s not so much related to the question
    of gender identity, and more closely related to the issue of what types
    of treatments are available and what they are based on. That’s why the
    lack of evidence is such a problem, because it puts children in the same
    position as John Money had tried to do in order to promote his own
    theories and protect his reputation.

That wasn't the reason. Appendix 4 of the report lists all the stated reasons why they refused to co-operate and what the response was to each one. It's quite astonishing.

Post edited by plodder on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Jumped on ChatGPT this evening.

https://chat.openai.com/share/22b3f196-9b39-4bf4-93a7-b6371af75d57

Is it common for very young children to believe wrongly they have been adopted, that their parents are not their real parents?

ChatGPT

It's not unheard of for very young children to have misconceptions about their family structure or origins, including believing they are adopted or that their parents are not their biological parents. Sometimes, children may develop such beliefs due to misunderstandings or misinformation, or it could stem from experiences or conversations they've had with peers, siblings, or even adults.

However, it's essential to approach such situations with sensitivity and understanding. Children may have various reasons for expressing or believing such ideas, and it's crucial to listen to them, address their concerns, and provide reassurance and support. If a child persists in believing they are adopted when they are not, it might be helpful to explore the underlying reasons behind their belief and address any confusion or anxieties they may have. In some cases, seeking guidance from a child psychologist or counselor could be beneficial in understanding and addressing the child's feelings and perceptions.

Do children have a more vivid imagination than adults and can it negatively effects their lives when reality doesn't match their beliefs?

ChatGPT

Children often have incredibly vivid imaginations, which can lead them to create elaborate stories, engage in imaginative play, and believe in fantastical ideas. This rich imagination is a natural part of childhood development and plays a vital role in cognitive, emotional, and social growth.

However, when children's beliefs or fantasies clash with reality, it can sometimes lead to confusion, disappointment, or distress. For example, if a child strongly believes they are adopted despite evidence to the contrary, it could cause them to feel disconnected from their family or struggle with identity issues. Similarly, if a child believes in magical creatures or impossible scenarios, they may experience disappointment or confusion when they realize that such things don't exist in the real world.

In such cases, it's essential for adults to approach the situation with empathy and understanding. Rather than dismissing the child's beliefs outright, adults can gently guide them toward a more realistic understanding while validating their feelings and imagination. It's also important to provide reassurance, support, and opportunities for the child to explore and express their creativity in healthy ways.

Ultimately, a child's vivid imagination is a valuable asset that should be nurtured and encouraged, but it's essential to help them develop a balanced perspective that integrates imagination with an understanding of reality. With patience, guidance, and support, children can learn to navigate the boundary between fantasy and reality in a way that enhances their emotional well-being and overall development.

Are their cases where children never grow out of their false beliefs or fantasies and carry them on into adulthood?

ChatGPT

Yes, there are cases where individuals maintain false beliefs or fantasies into adulthood. While most children eventually develop a firmer grasp on reality as they mature and gain more life experience, some individuals may continue to hold onto certain beliefs or fantasies due to various factors.

These beliefs or fantasies may be deeply ingrained due to emotional attachments, cognitive biases, or psychological factors. In some cases, individuals may have difficulty distinguishing between fantasy and reality due to cognitive or neurological differences, such as certain developmental disorders or mental health conditions.

Additionally, cultural or societal influences can play a role in perpetuating certain beliefs or fantasies into adulthood. For example, beliefs in supernatural phenomena, conspiracy theories, or pseudoscientific ideas may persist due to social reinforcement from like-minded individuals or communities.

It's essential to approach such situations with empathy and understanding, recognizing that individuals may hold onto these beliefs for complex reasons. Encouraging critical thinking skills, providing accurate information, and offering support from mental health professionals when needed can help individuals navigate their beliefs and develop a more balanced perspective over time.

End.

So, obviously the point is kids believing something from a young age is evidence of absolutely nothing and if anything the point works against not for. I admit ChatGDP isn't evidence of anything either so I'm happy to call it quits :)

• Advertisement

What does it mean for a child to have a fixed gender identity at the age of 4? Exactly what it says on the tin - fixed, unquestioned, no self-doubt about it, everything’s all good. When children don’t feel that way is when they start to question it - when the messages they’re receiving are inconsistent with information they already know of themselves. That’s the incongruity. When their perception of themselves is affirmed - the distress caused by the incongruity is alleviated.

I’m an adult plodder and while I understand the distinctions people make between sex, gender and sexual orientation - far as I’m concerned ‘tis all the one, but it’s because I have had exposure to people with other ideas is the reason I understand how and why they feel that way and I don’t. If the analogy of a soul helps anyone’s understanding as a point of reference they’re already familiar with - crack on. It’s not as though civilisations throughout history have had the benefit of social media or hanging on Beyoncé’s every word, to the extent that they would actually imagine life would be so much better if they were the opposite sex, and set about achieving same. That’s an explanation for the phenomenon which doesn’t even go near explaining the phenomenon, but it’s a convenient one if you’re already convinced Beyoncé is in league with the Devil… (you’re better off not googling that, even now I feel the brain cell count drop 😒).

To argue that gender identity is a concept which exists doesn’t require faith, it requires evidence, and there is mountains of evidence to demonstrate that the concept does exist, while there is little evidence to support the theory that it is malleable, which is where John Money ran into problems, and because the evidence contradicted his theories, he sought to suppress it and claim his experiments were a success. They were not, but given his reputation, his opinions in the fields of sexology and science were beyond question. It’s this idea of gender identity being malleable is still what fuels the conversion therapy nonsense that children whose gender identity does not correspond to their sex can simply be reasoned with and talked out of it, convinced that actually they’re just gay, or it’s because they’re autistic that they are fixated on gender identity or sex. That patient profile accounts for only a small percentage of patients, notwithstanding children who never come to the attention of clinical professionals.

The huge increase in teenagers who are questioning their gender identity is as a result of the concept gaining greater awareness in society. That’s not to suggest the concept is widely accepted, clearly it is not, it’s just greater awareness, and there’s no putting that back in the box. It’s no different than many other concepts which were previously unheard of in society - the concept of being non-religious for example, always a bit of a head-scratcher for those who are, which just happens to be the vast majority of people (taken on the basis of faith, of course, even if one has one’s doubts as to whether they are or they aren’t, when their behaviour doesn’t match assumptions associated with their adherence to their particular ideology).

The reasons listed in Appendix 4 amount to nothing more than “The dog ate my homework”. Basically I could give you a whole list of bullshìt reasons plodder as to why I’m not willing to provide you with the evidence you seek. I know my excuses are bullshìt, you know my excuses are bullshìt, similar to the organisations above involved in Irish education, claiming that children shouldn’t receive an education which could undermine their faith (it’s a fairly flimsy faith if merely questioning it is all it takes to undo it!), but realistically, what could you do, other than accept it? I mean of course you could question it, but that would achieve nothing, so that’s what the researchers in the Cass report are left with - nothing, on which to make recommendations about policy in regards to patients attending NHS clinics presenting with gender incongruence.

The report is useful if I run out of bog roll (in the correct cubicle that corresponds to my chromosomes of course!), but other than that, it’s of little value in informing the development of policies for the NHS in the provision of assessment and treatment services for patients presenting with gender incongruence.

Advertisement