Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Another slate grey sky this morning I’ve lost count of the amount of days like this so far. Relentless..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 wazzzledazzle

Looking at the forecast, things should start to brighten up for the next few days. Grass will be cut and few weeds that have popped up the last couple of weeks still should be handy to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

First calm day in a long time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's grey and murky but at least it's dry and there is no wind. The icing on the cake will be to see the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Today hopefully the start of a drier spell for the rest of this month,whatever next month will bring......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It was the old met eireann site Latest Reports. I don't know how to go back to previous times on it though.

http://m.met.ie/weather-latest-observations.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

was raining all morning in the north east 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very nice day in Galway today. Birds seem to pleased. More of this please.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I definitely think that the northeast has got the most rainfall in the country these past few months. From carlingford in Co Louth, through Co Down and Antrim it's been particularly intense every time it's rained. This region is being pounded from all directions . Even today you guys got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cold and windy n misty n Sligo. No change here. 9.2c currently.

Think almost all this year has been windy bar a short spell in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 goingmadted

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Eibhir

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

We all have different preferences. Some people adore the light and the long spring and summer days in Ireland, but I couldn't care less about that, in fact the very long days only annoy me when the weather is so miserable, cold and grey. I'm probably in a minority in that I love the dark of winter.

I find day length further south ideal in spring in summer. Warm, bright sunny days which darken much earlier, especially this time of year. I was in Malta first week of April and it was dark at 7 but the days were paradise, with wall to wall sun and temps in the low to mid 20s.

For me weather trumps light any day.

I have always been a fan of the dark winter nights. The 6 weeks either side of the summer solstice can do my head in. Just feels abnormal to still be bright after 10pm. Also dislike the very early sunrise at that time of Yr too. Some/ many may love that but not for me. I'm a creature of the dark lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Bear in mind that if we didn't have Irish Standard Time, those arguably early sunrise times in summer would be different as the sun would rise an hour earlier again, local time. In late June, that would equate to sunrise as early as 03:56 in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭pureza

30,000 + ft up above the Rocky's near Denver earlier today (The blue hue is the 787 electric window which is hard to get right)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

wasnt expecting it to be so damp this morning especially after the tabloids telling me I’d need sunscreen today for the sweltering temps😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Damp and dark morning in Leitrim. It's fe€&ING depressing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The weather in Santorini has been fairly good the last few days, Monday was sunny, Tuesday had a sunny start before turning cloudy and windy (still warm though), Wednesday was the reverse of Tuesday but even windier, with some rather big waves, yesterday was sunny and cooler than of late, while it's sunny, 18C, and quite humid at the moment. There's a severe rain and a moderate thunderstorm warning for tonight but I'll be missing the storms unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Grey and drizzly again this morning in Limk City but at least the relentless northwesterly wind is absent and it's 10c, so things looking up a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Damp manky morning Meath. Will the grass even get to dry out to cut it Sunday when the sun does arrive. Really wasn't expecting that manky drizzle this morning..

10⁰

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Its funny that, because as someone who suffers a bit from SAD I find the sudden change to brighter days when the clock changes extremely disturbing. I feel like I'm supposed to have my evenings suddenly filled with activities, that I can't sit down at 8pm and watch TV as its still bright out! Its the suddenness of the change that gets to me

. In some ways there is a comfort in darker evenings and I never suffer as much going into Winter. I think like Acequion says its about the amount of sunshine, that's what works for me. Not light.

Probably the same for me i like the sunshine but not so much the longer daylight hrs. I particularly like a cold bright winters day. The amount of cloudy days especially the last yr or so can be depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 wazzzledazzle

Temp gradually rising. 11c with "bright" cloud. Not a breath of wind. Hoping the garden dries with Sun expected out in the afternoon.

N.Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

And I am quite the opposite. It's the extra light that perks me up. The darkness of late Autumn, Winter and early Spring is just depressing for myself.

Once the clocks go forward to Irish Standard Time, I get an impetus to do more stuff. From late spring to early Autumn, I'll often work out in the garden right up until it's almost fully dark…..so in June/July, I could be still working outdoors until well beyond 22:00. I don't watch a huge amount of TV but during the days with late sunsets, I may not switch a TV on for days.

In any case, I rather be on my feet and being active. When I'm older, I can watch more TV but while I'm (relatively) young and healthy, I want to make best use of my abilities and watching TV for a couple of hours every day just seems counter productive and a waste of time unless the weather is poor outside. But there is ALWAYS work to be done inside too, whether it be home improvements or just daily chores and housekeeping.

All of the outdoor work in daylight that I do very much helps my mental wellbeing but it's also fantastic with regards to physical health as I can can be on my feet and moving about pretty much all day.

Once the clocks go back to observed GMT in late October, my urges to work outside diminish greatly, especially on weekdays, as I know I won't accomplish many outdoor tasks in daylight after my 9-5 work day.

During the winter months, I sometimes do less than 10,000 steps a day (sometimes lower than 5,000 when the weather is really poor all day in winter) but come the long evenings, 20,000 - 30,000 is not uncommon at the weekends, when my dayjob is not slowing me down.

And finally, cloud is beginning to break up now in Trim, Meath. Rather breezy and cool but good to see the weather improving already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Honestly not too bad today in Galway, somewhat mild with warm sun breaking out every now and again. Last few days have been much drier than as of late, starting to see people cutting grass and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

cool and cloudy here. That horrible dank grey slate. Hopefully some sun later. Pathetic at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another crap day in Meath, cold and plenty of heavy drizzle that soaks you.

Advertisement