Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I had a mini trip around Central Europe. Hit 30c. Earliest recorded 30c in Austria history but haven’t checked elsewhere. Was a shock to the system, heading from the dreariness of home to that, you’d expect it in summer but not early April. Anyway I got lucky. Much cooler there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

thanks Gonzo for the response appreciated it. I work in Dublin and travel quite a bit but I just don’t remember this glorious May but it was probably a west coast event so. Thanks also Cluedo for the figures the memory is fading that’s for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Dreadful again here now in East Galway, was very nice at times here today however

You are mistaken, the first three weeks of June and all of May were great last year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

what was April and March 2023 like?

I wonder was it colder and wetter than normal? Are we getting a couple of colder than normal months followed by hotter dryer than normal months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Lovely day in Cork, few showers early on but sunny and pretty mild since lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

today was balmy compared to yesterday in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Robwindstorm

February 2023 was exceptionally dry followed by the wettest March on record . April was then also unsettled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah February 2023 was incredibly dry. Mace Head got just 35mm of rain. The average there is 98mm.

February 2023 was also quite warm - Mean temp 8.1C where average is 6.7C.

Phoenix Park got only 12mm of rain in February 2023. Johnstone Castle in Wexford got just 7.4mm of rain (15% of average rainfall).

March 2023 was a shocker though for rain.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

Nice weed walk tonight. Light but consistent breeze with some gusts pushing heavy but not damp cold air. Relatively clear too so great view of the stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Aurora display at Sutton, Dublin tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

extraordinarily cold for the third week of April, feels a lot colder than 6c.

even April 2013 was warmer than this by the time we got to the second half of month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

A dry start to the day driving from south Dublin to Enniscorthy region.
    It’s chilly enough here in the sunny south east but the air is relatively dry- ground is still soaked, but it’s not raining and the birds are singing.

You have a great life Sryanbruen. I really admire how you embrace the outdoors and enjoy all weather. Amazing pic as always. You have a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

……..

Post edited by DellyBelly on

Actually March 2023 was much much worse than April 2023 for rain and it was a warmer than average April. Take Mace Head for example...only 51mm rain against an average of 76mm. We had 3 months of well below average rain in a row leading to drought conditions at end of June.

Valentia got 150mm less rain in April than it did in March which is amazing.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 39 wazzzledazzle

Grey, Chilly 6 degrees. Even the High Pressure forecast looks set to be relatively cool. Setup looks like we could potentially have some Frost. North Kildare.

Nevermind, i'm off to Barbados this day 2 weeks. 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Dublin live is advising people to break out the sunscreen for the weekend as Ireland to bask in sizzling 19 degree temps.

meanwhile it’s cold and grey where I am.

• Advertisement

Murky. At times wet morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another miserable day here in Meath with plenty of drizzely muck and feeling very chilly. The Spring that just keeps on giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Raining and freezing in Dublin. Met has highs of 10c on sat and 11c on Sunday, so at least we have the weekend heatwave to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Cold and dry this morning. Ugly since noon in Meath and Dublin. The rain ;(

8⁰

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Light rain and drizzle until recently in Trim, Meath but much warmer than Dublin with a temperature of about 8/9° above freezing at the moment.

Met.ie text forecast for Dublin for the weekend contradicts whatever you're seeing:

"Saturday: Most areas will be dry on Saturday with some sunshine at times. Becoming cloudier in the west through the day. Highest temperatures of 11 to 15 degrees with light southerly or variable winds.

Saturday night: Dry with clear spells and light winds. Lowest temperatures of 2 to 7 degrees.

Sunday: Sunday is looking mostly dry with sunshine at times. Highest temperatures of 13 to 17 degrees with light easterly winds."

The above is the Dublin specific forecast rather than the national forecast but when I checked further, the Dublin forecast is a copy and paste of the national forecast so so with light easterly winds forecast, I guess it is fairly possible that 11° on Saturday and 13° on Sunday are the forecast maxes for Dublin by Met Eireann.

So in short, the Met forecast is all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 wazzzledazzle

😁 - No quite, Virgin

7 degrees currently, and still Grey, although doesn't feel as chilly as this morning. North Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Miserable in Dublin today…constant drizzle…at least the wind that has been a constant over the last few weeks is not a factor today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

So in short, the Met forecast is all over the place!

Nothing new there from ME

Advertisement