Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

There was a shower of hail with near 100kph winds in Sligo today and people were videoing it it was so bad. We truly get some muck weather on the wild Atlantic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

the temperature might be 7 or 8 today but by god feels like 2 or 3 the feels like temperature doesn’t get counted when people try and tell you it’s warmer than ever😂

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭babyducklings1

This weather is just unreal. Have given up on it at this stage . Remember reading somewhere a while back about the possibility of the Gulf Stream collapsing or some such thing but I’m no meteorologist do have no idea am just utterly fed up of it all at this stage as indeed everyone else is. Am going to the sun in summer and counting down the days now. A friend was telling me about a priest he knows who has said a mass for fine weather. As for hearing about it being mild the wind chill takes all that away plus the dampness in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 23h4589j1234

I'm going to get out of here as soon as possible

to somewhere sunny.

I cant take anymore rain

and don't day today was OK weather wise it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

It's going to be absolutely hilarious on this forum when MET E's stats for the month come out and show that it was a mild April. By Irish standards. Which it is almost guaranteed to be.

The Dublin stations are all currently running 2º ABOVE the long-term average. And this isn't all down to high night-time temps for once.

There'll be screams about false news, false reporting and Met É getting the figures wrong. People will be told to shove their facts you know where. Anecdotal evidence and thoughts and feelings will trump everything else. There'll be a march on MET É HQ in Glasnevin!

Anyway, joking aside (kind of) I do marvel at our collective amnesia each year when we complain that it's still only 11º or 12º in mid April or 15º in early May etc. When (sadly) that's exactly what the temperature is supposed to be.

The rainfall is another thing however. And actually backed up by the stats.

Looking forward, things look better for the rest of the week. But there also seems to be a lot of showers still around going by the latest MET É forecast, which is a bit disappointing given how close HP is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

That HP is not looking as great on the last few GFS runs for the wknd.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I’ve never heard so much talk about a HP coming. The way some are talking it’s going to me epic but from listening to you folks who I would trust far more it’s already beginning to sound a little underwhelming?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Agree with you there, this is normal but I think we usually get more settled spells here and there in winter and spring, it's just so windy the whole time and wetter than usual which makes it all worse.

The last few June's we've had highs of 13c in Dublin and some days not much better in July with constant downpours, it's a pretty awful climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

A miserable start to the day in N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭adocholiday

We're certainly not going to be heading for the beaches in droves but wouldn't expect that in April anyway. People are anticipating this high pressure because it will finally settle things down a bit rather than for the heat. Temps might get into the low-mid teens but more importantly it will be dry and not windy for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Just even looking at a high pressure over Ireland looked strange on the weather forecast. So used to seeing dartboard lows centred near Ireland at this stage. I suspect HP will result in less wind and stubborn cloud cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Last June was absolutely lovely. Hot and sunny for 2 weeks. Real leaving cert weather. Easter was very nice in Galway too. The key is to maximise the nice windows. July was terrible alright. This weekend should be relatively dry I hope.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yes. The key question when I hear talk of high pressure is whether it’s a “clean” high or a “dirty” high.

Quite often (for the east at least) the safest bet for bright weather around summer is when the pressure is fairly slack with winds rolling gently in from the west. You might get some showers in the far west but the east remains almost dry and the air warms to about 20° by the time it reaches Dublin.

When HP comes straight over us it’s often 50/50 as to whether we’ll get plagued with sea fog and/or just get stuck under a cloud bank.

for 2 weeks maybe but then it turned to sh*t and there were definitely days with 13 or 14c as the high

The rest of June was pretty decent too. Warmest June on record. And May 2023 was very nice too.

https://www.met.ie/state-of-the-irish-climate-report-2023#:~:text=May%202023%20was%20ranked%202nd%20warmest%20May.&text=June%202023%20became%20the%20warmest,temperatures%20for%20the%20first%20time.&text=July%202023%20was%20the%20wettest,and%20wettest%20month%20of%202023.&text=Significant%20flooding%20during%20storm%20Betty%20occurred%20in%20August.

May 2023 was ranked 2nd warmest May.
    June 2023 became the warmest June on record with above 16°C average temperatures for the first time.

https://www.met.ie/june-2023-will-be-warmest-june-on-record-for-ireland-on-both-land-and-at-sea

At individual stations, we also know that 23 of 25 of the primary weather stations have had their warmest June on record. 

It is also expected that the June average for 2023 will be >16°C for the first time for June. This average value has been observed occasionally in July and August. 

The Marine area is experiencing unusually warm temperatures also, with the warmest June sea surface temperature on record here also. 

Athenry, Co Galway and Shannon Airport, Co Clare have experienced 27 consecutive days with maximum air temperatures > 20.0 °C, ending on Saturday 24 June 2023.

I must be wrong about last June, I do recall recent Junes however where it was lashing rain and 13c outside my office when I was working on Baggot St. Hopefully this year is better.

I am confident May and June will be nice again this year. Summer seems to be coming earlier from what I can see. I have front loaded my holidays so I hope that's the case.

i always find we get a decent spell in may/early june, then it breaks and it just turns into unsettled mess for the rest of the summer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

First week of June was cold at least in the east, especially coastal counties and I remember Dublin barely making it to 12C on some of the opening days of June. The west of the country did much better in late May and early June with temperatures into the 20s while it was up to 10C colder along the east. Weeks 2 and half of 3 were very warm but not completely settled there were some showers and rain around at times. Final 10 days of June is when deluge season started and we're only starting to come out of that almost year long deluge spell at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 wazzzledazzle

With regards the LTA Averages and what the average will be this month, the "Real feel" temp is not factored in. Indeed it was 10 degrees yesterday in my location in North kildare, but with a real feel of 5.

It could easily be 10 degrees without a breath of wind and no cloud and have a real feel of 15 degrees.

For sure.

And yesterday was bitter in fairness.

But there's been a fair few days in the east at least with temps of up to 14 or 15º where it's felt mild enough for mid spring. By Irish standards. Even when factoring in the real feel temp.

Anyway, as I keep highlighting, April is never a particularly warm month unfortunately.

I think people need to remember how cool our climate is. We have the same conversation EVERY year. It's gas.

Memory can play tricks on you when it comes to good weather. I checked the first week in June for Dunsany and you were getting 20C on 3rd, 4th and 5th.

In fact the mean temperature at Dunsany for June was 15.5C which is 2.5 degrees higher than average. It was your warmest month in 2023. And very very little rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunsany is about 11km further west than where I live so that probably made a difference. 15 to 17C was what I got most that first week but it's the coastal areas that were properly chilly. I remember being in Dublin on one of those days and it was properly chilly around 12 or 13C. By the 2nd week of June we flipped into a much warmer southerly and we regularly got 23 and 24C. The final 10 days of the month got quite wet but it was still relatively warm. Less said about July and August 2023 the better. The heatwave in September was the warmest weather we had in Meath and Dublin during 2023 with 27C on one day and several days of 25 and 26C. We got lucky again in early October with 5 days in a row reaching 20C or more and one day (9th October) reaching 23C.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

gonzo what was May like can you recollect? I’ve seen mention of it as being beautiful but I can’t remember that. Certainly remember the first 3 weeks in June being very warm and for the most part being settled but May I just can’t remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Sorry to cut in, just in case Gonzo can't get back to you. May was very dry, good sunshine, day temps were 16c to 18c most days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Hope you are right…would be great to get some decent summer weather from next month…we deserve it after this pathetic Spring

May 2023 was very good for most stations last year. Take Dunsany for example.

Rainfall = 25mm (Average = 65mm)

Mean Temp = 12.2C (Average = 10.5C)#

Global Solar Radiation in Joules/cm2 = 60420 (Previous 2 years were 53,000 and 55,000)

============

May 2023 was the 2nd warmest on record in Ireland.

As a reminder for May and June 2023

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41168917.html

Met Éireann climatologist Paul Moore described June as a “remarkable month of weather”, with absolute drought across the country leading up to the prolonged thunderstorms.

Mr Moore said 24 out of the 25 synoptic stations across the country were in absolute drought, with the station in Malin Head experiencing a dry spell while three stations recorded 35 days of partial drought in the Phoenix Park in Dublin, Oak Park in Carlow and Johnstown Castle in Wexford.

“Since 2018, I haven’t seen anything like that,” he said.

• Advertisement

From what I can remember here in the east we were coming out of a relatively cool and unsettled scene first half of the month. Second half of May had bags of sunshine with high pressure dominating with temperatures of 14 to 20C generally but a biting easterly wind. The western half of the country faired much better in terms of temperature with low to mid 20s instead of mid teens. Second half of May was probably the sunniest period of 2023. June did turn much warmer but much more in the way of cloud and progressively more unsettled, especially the final week of the month.

I'm hoping for the reverse this summer. A cool unsettled May followed by a much warmer and sunnier June to mid August period but that is very much wishful thinking. I would be more than happy with a 2 weeks heatwave or high pressure dominated scene if it's between mid June and end of August.

There is guaranteed to be some very warm to hot weather during the first 10 days of September this year because I'll be in Spain and the weather here of course will be excellent based on my holidays plans.

Advertisement