Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Bucketing down rain on the journey from Enniscorthy back to Dublin.
    What a climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 wazzzledazzle

Sun has popped its beautiful head out for 10 minutes. You can certainly start to feel the strength of the sun n even in comparison to a couple of weeks ago.

A balmy 9celcius. North Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain all morning. Turned to drizzle. Day time temperatures are cool. But on a night time we've had very little frost.

Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

heavy downpour in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They don't do a regional forecast more than 2 days out, that's the national forecast you're reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yeah I was wondering the same about this so called 'heatwave' as I was seeing the same on the app.

Maybe the West is getting the heatwave!

Of course the headline will not doubt say monthly temperature higher than normal but that's not a true reflection.

Feb, Mar and I would guess April all have Max temperatures well below normal.

So something not right with the stats, maybe its the wind chill and all the rain but it's an awful miserable spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I can maybe see why you would feel March and April day temps below normal (which they haven't been) but February? Really? February was stupidly mild. It was nearly 2C above avg in terms of mean max for Casement against the already skewed 1991-2020 avg.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Really disappointed with today's weather - not at all what I expected based on the forecast. I expected a couple of showers in an otherwise bright day, instead it was all day drizzle with some downpours since noon. It was a lovely morning - cold, bright, dry - then a big letdown this evening. Thought I'd get out to the garden, but alas, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

it’s still so cold.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about the monthly IMT but the normal Max temperature. Neither Feb or March reached their normal Max temperature on any given day so we are not getting those 'pet' days.

I have a picture in March lockdown when I was in a long dress with a denim jacket.

Ha no chance of that this year, it's April and I'm still in winter jackets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Don't think the stats are wrong. I think it's just FELT colder the last 6/7 weeks or so then the actual temperatures with all the rain and lack of sun and the wind taking the edge off the temperatures. Been very little frost since Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

They did reach their overall normal Max temperature though. Nearly 14c here on Feb 14th and nearly 16c here March 14th for example both well above normal.

So the normal Max for Feb is 15.8, we didn't get past 14.7, the normal Max for March is 18 we only got 16.3.

April is a laughable 21.5 looking out the window here! Think we have reached about 17 so far.

I do think the night time temperatures are skewing the stats as it is true that were very mild with normal min temperatures not reached.

The wind chill has also been very strong and that wouldn't be reflected in temperatures.

Absolute max of a month (a single day temp) is very different. That is not a teller of how warm or cold a month is. You can have an extreme temperature in a perfectly benign month.

For instance, July 2020 reached 37.8C on the final day in England but it was still a colder than average month for most places. The final few days brought it to average for some. And if we pretend the 2019 record of 38.7C didn't happen, that would be the highest July temperature recorded in the UK (until 2022) despite being a dismally wet and cloudy month with mostly cool temperatures.

I do get that but to me it has just felt cold, especially if it trys to tell me April has been warner than average!

I use very scientific measurements like the clothes I wear😁 and the spring ones are not getting a look in!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

As Mark Twain once said " There are lies, there are damned lies and then statistics"

I have no doubt that statistically speaking temps have been running above average, but all it takes in Ireland for the average max every day in April to be circa 1 C above the average April long-term max and we probably have a high of what? 12 C instead of 11 C and statistics would be right on track. And I feel that is what is happening. We don't have lovely three in a row 17 C days to offset a couple of early April 6C days which would be a far more agreeable way to have statistically warmer month.

Add in the fact that a lot of the above average monthly temps recently are skewed more from night time higher mins than anything else and it's not inspiring.

Now further throw in the biting wind, relentless rain and extreme dullness of this spring and people can throw all the correct stats at me they want but it does not for one minute change my view that this spring has been appalling by any Irish measure , as has the last nine months for that matter.

We just haven't had a pattern conducive to getting sunny, calm conditions really. It's been significantly milder than average for the most part because the wind has been mostly blowing off the North Atlantic with mild sea temperatures (relatively speaking) still continuing to our southwest which has been the prevailing wind direction. We can see this by looking at reanalysis of the past few months and the alignment of the weather systems. This is all primed for mild, wet conditions being the dominance but also given it's a westerly with deep low pressure, it's windy which gives a significant cooling factor despite the temperature being "mild" which is relative to average rather than what you feel.

There's very few times I have been able to say warm in the months of March and April here on the east coast though to be honest because normally when Ireland gets some half decent warmth during these months, we have an onshore breeze (moreso April) and seas are at their coldest point of the year on average.

It doesn't help when your google photos keep sending you pictures of what you were doing 1, 2 or 5 years ago and the weather all looks nicer😁

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Met Office fairly confident the HP will remain in or around next week and continuing until at least the end of April. Not particularly warm but not much rain forecast..looks like Ireland will have even less rain than the UK. We will take what we can get at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭pureza

30 c here in Dallas at the moment

Its like an oven after what we Ieft at home

Some Thunder in the forecast tonight too,bring it on I say

looking forward to the first headline proclaiming that “Ireland to be warmer than(insert random country). The tabloids have made a mockery of weather forecasts with their ridiculous predictions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am not bothered by temperature, wind or grey cloud - the all important factor for me is light. I celebrate the clock change. The 6 week period either side of June 22 is the best time of the year for me. I don't crave direct sun by any means unless I am in the sea but I do love bluebird days in winter. It's the rain that hampers my outdoor activities even though I have superb wet gear. The met.ie site usually tells me when the rain will come and I plan my evenings and weekends around that.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Very cold this morning with mist in W Dublin and N Kildare. It had been forecast to be dry, but rain now mentioned unfortunately. Casement was reporting "freezing drizzle" at 5am, and certainly some surfaces are slippy in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 wazzzledazzle

Rinse and Repeat. Grey, Chilly, 5 degrees, headache from dog waking me twice for wees during the night.

N.Kildare

the Mirror mentions “glorious sunshine” and “heatwave” in their headline this morning. It’s 7 degrees and cloudy with that omnipresent breeze there to chill the bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

You sure about that? Looking below, at 05:00 local time (04:00 UTC), Casement was reporting fog with a temperature and dewpoint of 4°. The hours either side of that would not support freezing drizzle either. Can you point to your source as I'm a little bit perplexed however it's possible that my source below is incorrect so apologies in advance if that is the case.

Advertisement