Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

it’s bloody cold today.

But when I see that people are happy with 12 degrees it really shows that we all have weird and wonderful views on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Heavy rain pelting Galway in strong cold southwesterly. It is mid-April, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

It feels cold today alright in the wind.

But the average max temperature in Ireland for April is only around 11º or 12º. The May max is only around 15º.

The past few days have been around 15º/16º in the East at least. So temps more akin to May in fact.

April has been OK temp wise. Maybe that's why some people are happy? The rain is another thing of course…

But I'm always amazed how every single year Irish people seem to expect mad warm temperatures this early in the year. Do people not realise how cool our climate is, even in the midst of global warming?

It rarely gets warm in April unless we have a mad heatwave - and even then the East usually remains cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Escaping the rain so far Meath......any moment now no doubt.

Windy :(

12⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

cold and lashing rain in the north east

Seems to be the norm now

Meanwhile France and Spain in the high 20s

• Advertisement

accept all of that but I was simply saying some people are sweating over 12 degrees shows me that there are a lot of people with a different take on the weather that’s all. Having lived in Ireland for over 50 years I’m well accustomed to April weather here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 goingmadted

Can we just rename the months from Oct - Apr, Aut/Winter.

Spring can be May. The rest Summer.

8 degrees reading in the Van the last 2 days. Wind and lashing rain today.

The few veg plants i planted are looking pathetic. Sick to death of this shyte now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Fair enough.

Anyway, fingers crossed, next weekend is looking better.

We've had a period of fairly mild but quite unsettled weather going on weeks, if not months.

We could get locked into a period of quite settled weather just as we head into late spring. These things tend to balance out in the longer run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They key is making hay during the good weather. We have so much technology now that tells you what the weather will be like almost to the hour. It's important to maximise the plentiful dry windows. Temperature doesn't bother me too much as long as it's dry. In fact I get very lethargic in any temp above 21C.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Agree with this. 17-20c and sunny is the absolute perfect conditions for me when you're going about your normal working day in this country. Obviously on holidays when you're in the pool and out sunbathing then 25-29c is ideal.

We can hope and dream for anything in between...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭yagan

I find there's a huge difference between 9° and sunny and 9° wet.

One can be pleasant, the latter intolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some heavy showers pushing in from the west now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Christ it's windy tonight and windier tomorrow. Yellow wind warning likely for the North and West. Torrential rain in parts of the North currently. Sligo missing the worst of rain so far just 1.3mm so far here but not the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Oranmore Galway getting absolutely hammered by wind and rain tonight. Feels like stronger gusts than the last couple of orange warnings for sure (our house faces the sea). Has woken the house now. Always seems to happen here on bin night too, can hear bins and cans rattling around the road outside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Dazler97

We just had 2 minutes of the heaviest rain in carrick on shannon I've seen in a while, very blustery outside as well ,I thought there would have been thunder too as we had hail also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just off Yellow now and stronger winds to come 89kph in Newport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Woken up by the wind in Lucan just now. Rain is hammering off the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Rugbyf565

rain and wind also hammering off my windows in south Dublin, woke up freezing cold temperatures only dropped to 4/5 degrees but my bed feels freezing. Had to throw on a hoodie, tracksuit bottoms and socks for the first time since winter 🥶

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Sligo

Absolute hammering rain and wind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well at least it's stopped raining. It's changed to hail. Cold and bitter wind. Dark.

Utterly depressing.

Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

I don't want or expect 'mad temperatures' in spring. I just want, you know, spring type weather. And this is not it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Kutebride

No words. Baltic. Hats back on.

5⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Icy cold strong wind in Dublin. Still numb from cycle to work. Monday morning and all I can think about is emigrating somewhere without this horrible climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just 3 degrees currently at Knock with a dew point of -1

went for a run at 6:30am this morning it was “challenging” to say the least and I’m not just talking about my fitness levels.

It’s absolutely Baltic a wind there now that would cut you in half.

I see the tabloids have started their relentless nonsense about heatwaves and warm plumes heading our way. What could possibly go wrong!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent gust of 41 knots in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I can’t remember ever such a long spell of depressing weather if it’s not lashing it’s blowing a Gael if it’s not windy it’s Baltic . Seems to be like Groundhog Day for the past 7/8 months

Sure enough you’ll have people point to things like it’s the warmest April on record but by god it doesn’t feel it

On that I was just looking at Irish monthly temperature records and there is no recent ones at all

• Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Very bad to even worse in East Galway

Advertisement