Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleet and snow overnight and morning south Ulster and Leinster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Some of the pictures here are amazing, I'll never understand why some people grumble and wonder why the rest of us are mesmerised by the increasingly rare snow events.

I say this as someone who had a last minute scramble to get snow off the car and a slow crawl into work this morning.

The insulated silence in the air, the cold air when you breathe, the beauty of snow on the ground and on the trees - it's just lovely to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Wouldn't bother with insurance for it. Will have a proper look tomorrow to see how many slates can be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pureza

Very heavy hailstones all evening here in Arklow and windy pounding the window with pure icy slops

A vile night out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

45.2 mm midnight to midnight now. It's usually revised downwards but I imagine it will still comfortably break that record.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

I couldn’t agree more. I love your description of the insulated silence in the air. I spent the morning in the Slieve Bloom mountains and that describes it perfectly. The silence was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Beautiful photos and a long overdue dumping of snow on 'the plateau' for some time, at least in my part of Leinster.

It will be interesting to hear the total depth of snow high up in Wicklow mountains for example.

Another thing i have to comment on (ahem, rant about) with respect to talk of 4x4 only conditions etc. It is not common conditions here so i understand but 4 wheel drive is one factor only, especially on paved or hardened roads. The critical factor is tyre selection. It's kind of a misconception that a large modern SUV on summer tyres could fair better (at all) than a regular FWD car on (good) winter or all season tyres in snow. Proper off road vehicles are generally setup well for this but you don't want the public assuming they're grand in this because they drive a family suv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

This app I use was predicting snow since start of week. I told my wife somewhere will get a dump of snow on March 1st if this app is right. It was. IIRC the last snow it was right too. What model does it use? UK Met Office had snow too far North and Met Eireann had it North too but mostly falling as rain.

They need to change their graphics on TV. BBC ones are like another century compared to the basic ones on RTE.

PREDICTED SNOW

ACTUAL SNOW

P.s Temu seems to have picked up on my point addiction.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Must have been similar here in Greystones. Just up and there are hail drifts against east facing walls and windows/doors. 50.2mm of rain, sleet, snow and hail from this 'event'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Fully agree with you on the marginally.

However, that's where forecasting experience should have kicked in and taken charge in Glasnevin on Thursday evening. They knew about the marginally then!

Any regular on these threads for a few years knows that marginal situations with precipitation intensity this time of year means heavy snow for some and heavy rain for others closeby, regardless of elevation.

So what ME should have done is highlighted the "risk of heavy snow, mainly on hills but acumulating at times on lower levels".

They didn't do that, they said snow on hills only - and I think that's because their Thursday forecast was led by model output rather than forecaster experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Still about 4 inches on the grass here in North Longford. After some frost untreated roads are very slippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Any snow in South Donegal or Sligo, or is it just rain falling this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

There's been a clear move in position since Evelyn left. On several occasions during the Winter they left it to the UK Met to name storms eventhough they were impacting Ireland also. Also we've had less warnings and issued slower. As I said earlier Evelyn was a bit of ramper, but overall did an excellent job. The new head in my amateur opinion needs to find a better balance because they have gone the other extreme and hence getting caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

All snow gone here except the odd icy patch in the shade. Recorded 56.6mm of rain yesterday (record is 70.4mm on 02/02/14), my second wettest day ever here. Evaporative cooling was definitely a contributory factor to getting as much sneachta as we did, a truly memorable day.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Still snow cover on Sandymount Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A cold sleety morning in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah and it's about 3-4 degrees. I feel if we could lose a couple of degrees we'd get a decent dump of snow.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

As a Dubliner I don't think they seem any rarer?

Granted its only my aging memory I'm going off. Maybe the stats show it is rarer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just rain here some sleety stuff. Too windy so ocean moderation kicking in this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭yagan

I have to chime with this. Growing up older people would say summers and winters aren't what they used to be, hurling wasn't as good as it used to be, their knees aren't as good as they used to be, etc...

However when I mention 09 and 2010 they shudder at the memory of being housebound.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

As a Dubliner I really feel it is rarer. Snow like 2009, 2010, 2018 was rare throughout my life. But snow like yesterday was common - something to expect a couple of times at least during a typical winter. I hadn't had snow that stuck since a one day event in 2019 - a 5 year gap in snow was not the norm in the 80s and 90s in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The wait for snow goes on here in Meath, no real snow here since 17th March 2018. Got incredibly unlucky yesterday with snow everywhere but here with a 24 hour cold rain event instead. This wait for snow is going into it's 7th year now in what has to be one of the longest periods ever in my lifetime without a proper fall of snow.

Hard to say who's memory is more accurate. Maybe syran can provide the stats to ket us know.

We had lying snow this time last year in Dublin so definitely not 5 years.

No lying snow in this area last year unfortunately! Part of it might depend on locality - snow can be very localised as seen yesterday. The last snow fall here was a very short lived hour long event in December 2022 that didn't stick. Definitely March 3rd 2019 for the last lying snow here.

Ah yeah well if we're talking back gardens then it's a lottery. I'm talking about Dublin as a whole. I don't think snow events are any rarer for the county than they were 20 years ago growing up.

Well I feel they're rarer here in Lucan. I can only compare my own experiences of living in the same place over the years, obviously. I wouldn't have any idea of how common snow was in other parts of the county over the decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭yagan

From having lived in Dublin and another inland county on and off over decades my take was Dublin seemed to get the better lightning storms and inland the better frost and snow occurrence.

But with the national media it only seems newsworthy when Dublin is affected, whereas severe weather events that impact daily lives happen all the time without anyone in Dublin noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I think I'm in the same boat in Swords. A few flakes and maybe a light short lived dusting since 2018 but nothing worth getting even remotely excited about.

I think that's a different argument. I'm well aware snow and certain other weather events are more common outside Dublin and always have been. I don't think it's unusual that an event disrupting the capital city and affecting the hundreds of thousands commuting into it, garners more media coverage either.

Regardless, I feel snow is less frequent here in my part of Dublin than previously was the case here, having lived nearly all my life in the one area.

Advertisement