Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleet and snow overnight and morning south Ulster and Leinster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am just hoping for a repeat from Met Eireann of those famous words( you can never turn your back on snow) I heard uttered back in 2009 on a radio forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Surely it’s not just met eireann what about right here on boards

lost count of the amount of threads about possible snow and nothing happens and then today no thread so it’s not confined to met eireann

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah look, freak snow. Big deal. It’ll be gone by lunchtime. Glad people got a covering but listening to Clare Byrne you’d swear the world was ending. It happens every year that various places get unexpected snowfalls. This time it happens to be Dublin but it’s no different to the localised dumping here on March 09 last year. Sounds like people didn’t exercise personal responsibility and decide to work from home or take a holiday. Some things you just can’t predict with the best will in the world.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

No advanced thread this was started last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 rb1993

Raining in Dublin now. I fear it will be gone soon 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Isnt it wonderful in this World of information overload, where we plan and think as if we have total control of our days,

that something spontaneous, surprising and beautiful can still happen out of the blue.

We need more surprise in our lives. It re-charges us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There was talk of this before last night. However, sometimes weather just happens. 1c difference (or less) and it would/could be just be a wet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Great to see Dublin getting a proper pasting of snow. Some seriously impressive snow depths in part of the capital. I see even Dublin zoo has closed so the city centre has even seen plenty of snow. You cant beat quality snow pics

• Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Snowing in Tipp. Met E are useless. Yesterday I saw a UK thread warning of a possible 68 hours of snow and model maps showing ireland about 80% covered. 'It wasn't clear'.. Perhaps they should keep an eye on the UK news, instead of that cracked crystal ball they use.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Margret in accounts is now wondering about getting home ffs. Worried about her cat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Clontarf covered in snow this morning. A few hundred metres up the road in Raheny no snow, just soaking wet! You can't beat Dublin bay for weather transitions like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Turned to rain now in D18. Booooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Nothing recharging about a 3 hour drive for 20km to work this morning. There should been a warning about a possibility of snow and more people would have been prepared and made a calll to work from home.

Fact that a light snowfall like today brings chaos to roads and schools closing is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Chucking it down in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I know, I've a test drive booked in Joe Mallons for 1pm, could be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Heavy snow in Arklow now,heaviest of the day so far,dinner plate flakes I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

Johnson Mooney and O’Brien shares surge amid snow flake or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A dusting of snow at the Phoenix Park. Don’t know how camera pics turned out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Last night was unusual. It’s the first time I ever witnessed snow turning increasingly to rain to the NE of my location while still snowing to my immediate SW. There was a couple of cm outside before it turned to sleet while it was still snowing to the SW of me. M.E issued a snow warning for Donegal at 1am to come in to effect at 4am. It was already snowing at 1am and it turned to rain after 4am in NE parts of the county before spreading SW.

Regarding warnings, granted didn’t look merited for Dublin from the short range models I checked yesterday but various models did show a decent fall in areas, plus parts of the country had accumulated snow before late evening so I was surprised there wasn’t a warning issued or the mention of potential accumulations in the text forecast. I feel standards have slipped a bit over the last 2 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

After a lot of sleety rain this morning, we are getting a lot of snow now in south Wicklow, 130ml asl and it's sticking 😁

Enjoy while you can. Up to 5.5c now in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

That was a very rapid change from Heavy Snow to Heavy Rain/Sleet!

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Slushfest here too, raining the last hour or two. Hopefully gone by this evening when herself is coming home from work.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Hiking the Galtees tomorrow. I'd say there should be decent snow up top. Will be nice viewing. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Potis 2020

I'm supposed to be driving from Dublin to Mayo this afternoon. It's raining now but snow and slush still lingering.

Can anyone let me know what conditions are like for the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That's all folks, until the next leap year!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Melting away here now. Worked out well. Not in work till 4 and should be cleared by the time I’m on my way home. Didn’t have to deal with it it all. Best snow ever!! 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement