Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleet and snow overnight and morning south Ulster and Leinster

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

At least I am not mad then to report 35.4mm (so far) today in Greystones. Very windy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

At least orange in our area it should have been, even red I think for a few hours.

My son was going home from work at 3 am this morning and he said even at that time the roads were virtually impassable and but for the fact that he had 4 wheel drive he wouldn't have made it home.

That's south Cavan North longford area.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I normally use you as my weather benchmark for what to expect locally as I live near Clonee and we'd have similar conditions but its mad how localised this was for a general front of precipitation where various locations either well inland and usually favourable got no snow yet coastal areas like Clontarf and Sandymount got whiteout. Clonee/Ongar got a dumping of the white stuff as well. All melted into a slushy rainy mess now!

Post edited by lordleitrim on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yeah, totally lashing rain here still, filthy out, glad i'm not driving in it tbh. Instead,the stove is lit, I've a chilled glass of Prosecco in my hand, the little 'uns are watching a Harry Potter film so all is calm and relaxing. Loads of pics from today to sustain me for the next few snow desert years.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Meath was on the wrong side of the low, the onshore side. Dublin was on the right side of the low and recieved offshore wind. So for dublin the air coming off the land rather then the sea made the difference. So even places near the coast on the right side of the low were able to get snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A day of joy and misery. Some unexpectedly good snow in Lucan and Clondalkin today. Less so in Leixlip, Celbridge, Maynooth but still some lying snow. Great enjoyment working outdoors this morning and seeing the joy of children who hadn't been able to make a snowball in 6 years.

Then, an abrupt change to miserable rain and wind. Pure slush on the ground. A horrible afternoon to be out in it. Trying to dry off and defrost now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some of my snaps from Kilakee Road and Phoenix Park earlier today from the DSLR. Kilakee Road was getting too much for my FWD car so didn't spend as much time as I would have liked here and went to the Phoenix Park after.

Can't believe how close and marginal this was at sea level. Clontarf and Coolock snow covered but Donaghmede/Baldoyle zilcho! Kind of like a reverse 24th January 2021 in a way..

Post edited by sryanbruen on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fair play for even trying Sryan, Kilakee was (and probably still is) 4x4 territory today. You got some fantastic pics all the same.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

That’s a fair observation. In Canada, we have the biggest snowfalls occur in March. Right now, we are having record warm weather. I am on a lakefront and the ice on it has melted and frozen in yo-yo bouts since December. The ice fishing tents were not to be seen except for a week. One guy I met wrapping up his gear told me 5 cop cars came and officers told him to get off the lake a coupla weeks past.

There is no snow on the ground, and we have had 15c days followed by-15c days a number of times. Now, 15c days for us is like mid April weather. It is freaky as hell.

Enjoy the snow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

An absolute rotten day here in Meath, almost 24 hours of cold rain by this point and no signs of the rain stopping any time soon. My local area has floods in about 5 places, probably the worst flooding I've seen here since the late 1980s. Ditches are overflowing with water, roads flooded in several places, waterlogging and pooling of water everywhere.

IF we are in for a continuation of the deluge pattern throughout Spring we will be in serious trouble, we need some major prolonged dry spells as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Awaaf

Was driving around Blackrock, Stillorgan and Sandyford from 12 noon. Then down to Celbridge and back. Worst was Blackrock, Stillorgan and Sandyford at Lunchtime. Lots of cars spinning wheels or having trouble with inclines. Several stuck with hazards on. Inclines to N11 quite bad. Once on the M50 it was slow but generally moving. Return journey after 4pm was fine. Footpaths remain bad however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Some great pics. Some more snow over hills in the NW tonight and possible to lower levels in the west and north tomorrow.

Tomorrow

Showers will mainly be of rain but a few will possibly fall as hail, sleet and snow in the west and north

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Awaaf

I should add the N11 was very difficult for pedestrians to cross particularly at Stillorgan as a literal river was flowing down the hill from Bolands Pub and inundating the slip and the pedestrian island. Very dangerous for pedestrians - even the able bodied.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭bazlers

It is obviously a treat and a disappointment that we get this snow in March.

I do believe extreme is the new norm when it comes to weather for the foreseeable. Look at the cold pool that developed in Scandinavia this winter. Many snow depths and record cold temps were broken. What goes around comes around and with every passing winter that doesnt fall our way, our odds increase for something special. If it happened before it can surely happen again and even be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,783 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fading into the sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It was a nice snow day out in Stillorgan, several cm of snow fell by the end of it. I'm surprised that some snow has survived all the rain, not bad at all, especially for March. It was very weird trying to build an igloo while it was raining, ended up giving up because the windchill was absolutely brutal when the wind picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

• Registered Users Posts: 8 snowaholic

Happiness is … Drumgoff, Co Wicklow … with snow 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Left the house this morning to cold rain and assumed nothing of interest, 3.5 degrees in the car. Was a bit surreal to shortly start seeing cars with decent snow on the roof around Swords and then by the time I got to work near the airport not 15km away total it was 0.0 degrees with a slush/sleet/snow mix and a thin patchy layer on the ground. Nice to get a little taste of winter but would have preferred Emma v2 - half measures of anything get boring fast!

Now, bring on the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Have you still got all that snow Bishop? What did it max out at? The weekend should be good fun for ye.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Continuous Sleet here in Kildare. 35mm in the gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Met Eireann caught with their pants down again....

If you want to know the weather...stick your head out the window....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Still about 6 inches on grass, roads clear now. It finished at about what i said 8/9 inches

Replying to Cluedos question earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe that's terrible. Sorry to hear that. Hace you insurance for it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

According to the Met obs, Dublin Apt has seen 42.2mm of rainfall since midnight. Could be its wettest March day on record (at least for 00-00).

Its wettest March day on record I am aware of is 18th March 1971 with 35.7mm (00-00?).

9th March 2023 last year (another big snow event for the mountains) was also very wet with 30.2mm from 00-00.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What no mention of Offaly at all :(

Well here is some from my part of Offaly,

And some from Liffey Valley,

The M4

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still raining here in Meath. The roads here are in an absolute state with so much standing water and flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Most of the models that I saw last night were predicting snow this morning. The gfs was very accurate showing intense ppn over the East. Where Met Eireann fail in my opinion is using that silly harmonie model. I was watching Barra Best yesterday and he was predicting quite a bit of snow in NI and the East..

So it's actually inaccurate to say, which they did, that the models changed last minute! What actually happened was snow started falling and then the warnings came. They reacted to the snow, not a sudden change in computer predictions.

They are having a bad time of it since Evelyn left. She was a real pro, and eventhough a bit of a ramper was actually a superb forecaster and indeed presenter!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

Slieve Bloom Mountains this morning and again this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Advertisement