Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleet and snow overnight and morning south Ulster and Leinster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Don't see why anyone would get excited for snow.

Makes travelling treacherous. Roads are lethal. Now it's turning into a mucky slush where the footpaths are now dangerous to walk on. Leaves nothings behind only dirty water everywhere. And all for what? So we get a few nice pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Rain has arrived in Waterford, temperature dropped from 7c to 3c in the last hour as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

€45m a year is what Met Eireann receive from the state. This money could be better spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

It was lovely on Sandymount Strand earlier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Connemara mountains look very white in the distance. I'd say Galtymore will have a decent snowfall.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Snap

Rocky very hungry along with the rest of the birds outside.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The weather gods really don't like me. Nothing but rain all night and into this morning here at Dunshaughlin, not even a single flake of snow fell here. Nothing but cold rain since last night and roads now flooded. Time to start talking about the Meath snowshield I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Just mostly rain here aswell. I suppose at least it isn't the middle of winter which would have made it much more annoying to miss out. Not quite as annoying now that we are in March now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Wet snow/sleet falling at low levels near the galtees so should be a good covering on them by now. Can't see anything because of low-level cloud at the moment

• Advertisement

Only miserable cold rain here in Dundalk this morning. There was a Monaghan reg car in front of me with a bit of snow on the back window though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Is it just me or does March seem to deliver more snow than the likes of January? I can think of about 4 or 5 years since 2005 where we have had snow during or approaching St Patricks weekend. Equally you can get very mild St Patricks but i can remember several good snowfalls now in early March. Even beast from the east from memory was a February / March blend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah the BFTE was primarily a March event, it started final days of February but the real snow didn't fall until Storm Emma came along and that was in March. Snow again a few weeks later around 17th of March 2018 which is the last time I've seen a covering of snow here in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I’m going to defend Met Eireann, this morning I noticed in latest observations it was 4c at Dunsany and 0c at both Casement and Phoenix Park, that’s not a great distance.

It’s next to impossible to predict where exactly snow will fall at sea level in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

If it isn't essential I'd leave it until tomorrow. Roads could be lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Oh ffs the drama.

They provide an exceptional service for many industries including aviation, fisheries, transport, tourism etc etc.

Every so often they get it a bit wrong as it's still not an exact science.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The snow has all gone. I hope we get a bit more in the next couple of weeks, I don't want to wait another nine months for some. I wonder how much snow fell on mountain tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I woke up to a winter wonderland in South Kildare this morning, and it snowed consistently until about 12.30.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures this morning, but here's 2 looking across to The Curragh Camp, this was at lunchtime and it was both thawing and raining,but still snow is lying. I'd imagine The Curragh looked great earlier this morning.

Crap photos, but I pulled in quickly to take them. It's going to be lethal later when it freezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

25mm in the gauge from the snowmelt in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Was 9c in Cobh, now down to 3c. No snow of any description but a teeny bit of sleet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

yes for anyone travelling it’s an inconvenience and dangerous but I love it because it means I don’t have to travel anywhere and because myself my husband and our kids take a unplanned impromptu day off and not to take picture s but to have fun and spend quality time together that we probably wouldn’t have otherwise and yes I know we can take a day off and have fun whenever we want but let’s be honest there’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of being forced to take a day off when schools or work is cancelled 🤩 and it’s a change from the normal windy rainy weather !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

38.6mm of rain and I think it's still melting in my rain gauge so a pretty impressive total, must be massive amounts of snow in the Wicklow mountain peaks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BolloxChop

Had to drive from Limerick to Arklow this morning. Got to Naas and decided to turn back. Was chaos on the M7/M50 and i was not going up over the mountains like Google maps was directing me to do.

And the amount of people driving around with no lights on was staggering...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Dazler97

All snow has melted here in carrick but there was snow as far as Longford still on the ground , hope its gone by Monday when I'm travelling back up to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Thawing fast here in North longford now.

I got out to the shop thanks to a few tractors clearing our narrow lane by driving through it and compacting tracks te car could travel on.

Had to shovel the drive to get the car back in. Still about 6 inches of depth anywhere its not driven on or trampled. Its very wet snow at this stage for shoveling and heavy hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

At least the grandkids enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

@sryanbruen Hope you share some more pics here, just seen your one on X from the Hellfire Club, wow, is all i can say!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tartetatin

Near Blessington

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I don't think met eirrean knew the extent of the snow today , although its hard to predict perhaps orange warnings may have been issued but it would have been extremely short notice

Advertisement