Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleet and snow overnight and morning south Ulster and Leinster

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

As the crow flies my own home and my childhood aren't too far apart. As is the case for all of Dublin realistically.

I don't notice any difference in the frequency of snow though between both locales. But as a weather enthusiast who watches the weather etc I also don't notice a drop off in snow chances fpr Dublin over the years.

But your back garden is a different story and not what I meant with my original comment. Dublin CC has had lying snow two marches in a row now.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pureza

From 1992 to 1999,there wasn't a lot of sticking snow anywhere in Dublin bar high ground

The 80's would have had some notable events most years from 81 to 88

By notable, I mean easterly snow shower trains for at least 2 or 3 days at a time up to a week or more

Ditto here in Arklow to which I commuted in that decade from Dublin

The drifts in Arklow anyway from the January '82 blizzard stuck around untill the 1st week of February

This was surpassed by the November Dec 2010 event,when snow lay for an entire month

March 2018's drifts also lasted an entire month with a top up on the 18th

Ironically both those latter events occurred in this era of 'climate change

Below is a pic of croghan Moira mountain just now,above Aughrim in South Co wicklow

When it's still snow covered ,anecdotally we all get more snow here locally not too long after

Going on my local weather and temps it was snowing up there last night and it must have a lot

Lug is behind it but cant be seen due to cloud

So I guess we ain't done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

30 year averages there has been a steady decrease in sleet/snow falling at Dublin airport and a decrease in snow lying at 9am.

1961-1990

Days with sleet/snow 21.6

Days with snow lying 9am 4.5

1971-2000

Days with sleet/snow 18.7

Days with snow lying 9am 3.5

1981-2010

Days with sleet/snow 16.6

Days with snow lying 9am 3.4

1991-2020

Days with sleet/snow 12.5

Days with snow lying 2.2

So from 1961-1990 to the current average there has been over 50% reduction in days with lying snow at 9am and over 43% in days with sleet/snow falling. Each updated 30 year average shows a decrease in snow falling and lying and even 2009/2010 wasn’t enough to buck the trend.

Well those stats certainly show the memory ain't worth a $hite 😂

Wouldn't have thought it was that big a difference. 2010/18 clearly having a bigger impact on my overall opinion than I'd have thought.

Yes,each of those sets of stats contain a 10 year barren period dulling the average

It doesn't take from the notable easterly periods in the 80's which like 2010 and 2018 really were exceptions that raise expectations

Certainly living near UCD in the 80's,there were a few days of lying snow every winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Is there a need to be so condescending with the "your back garden" comments? I'm speaking of the general Lucan area, also Clondalkin. Also the general surrounding areas including North Kildare, where I would be aware of any snow events since my childhood.

I'm also a weather enthusuast, though I claim no expertise. I feel there has been a reduction in snow falls. I'm happy to agree to differ - it's just a casual conversation about our experiences with snow after all.

Lad those are averages over 30 years 🤣

There were many years within each where for example even Dublin airport would have had more than 2.2 days of lying snow,notwithstanding the fact that its prone to the Isle of man shadow meaning in Irish sea snow train days areas north of it or south of it do better

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I certainly remember far more frost, ice and snow during the 1980s, we basically got a few days off school from it almost every winter and the regular winter snow events died off from 1992. Since then snow only falls every couple of years with a large gap in the early 2000s and then another large gap since 2018. I did get snow during 2008, 2009 and 2010 which has been the only time since 1991 where I got decent snowfall 3 winters in a row.

Apologies wasn't trying to condescend. But you were literally talking about your road and you clearly stated you had no knowledge or inclination for other parts of Dublin.

I was always referring to Dublin as a whole in my OP which is what I had initially referred to when I replied to you saying we had lying snow this time last year in Dublin as well. I meant Dublin CC. You meant your back garden. Which I obviously wouldn't have any reports of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭yagan

I've worked outdoors for three + decades and all I will commit to is that the weather is predictably inconsistent.

My take away about working in Dublin is that there's definitely an urban island effect no doubt from the increased traffic and sprawl.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t say it dulls the average and in the same sense I wouldn’t say a good year inflates the average. It’s just the average over a 30 year period there will be good and bad years but the average doesn’t lie. Sadly though since the 1961-1990 period to present day average days with lying snow have decreased by over 50% at Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Billcarson

This chart shows the decrease in snow well.

If the decade in between is particularly barren vs a 20 year average of course it dulls it

What seems to becoming a constant lately if you delve into the last 60 years is extremes come in blocks,whether that be heat,rain or cold and within those blocks we are getting new records at times

The extremes aren't frequent

Someone posted a quote in one of the other threads here from a weather almanac in the 15th century ,I think it was,wrote by a visitor stating it doesn't snow very often in Ireland

That's nearly 700 years ago

It’s a 30 year average. You can’t pick and choose which years you like out of it and disregard the years you don’t like, it defeats the entire point of it. Met Éireann select a 30 year period for a reason. Each 30 year period shows a reduction in snowfall with every updated series as I outlined above, there’s no getting away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I think you're reading things into my posts which weren't there. At no point was I literally talking about my road or garden - no idea where you got that from. I mentioned other parts of Dublin as in I'd not know much about every short lived snow fall in coastal towns, or perhaps North County Dublin. At no stage did I mean my back garden. That was all your own interpretation.

Interesting to see what the stats show anyway and how we will have different experiences in a relatively small area.

I read the above as simply as its written. You were only speaking of your area or colloquially known as your backyard.

I was speaking of Dublin, not my area when I said "Dublin had lying snow last March". You even replied saying "I didn't have any".

So not sure what you're taking issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's some shots from today at Sandymount, Hellfire Club, Kilakee and Sally Gap. Long day!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

On this third rock from the sun a decent while now and 2017-18 was probably the snowiest winter I have lived through and I remember the 80s which were generous with snowfall too. My personal hunch is that we go through barren periods lasting a few years and then we get a decent winter or two - but this is based on where I live rather than the country as a whole.

Yes but that's not my point

My point simply was that the barren years are getting more barren and the non barren years are getting bigger extremes of snowfall

Using 30 year averages definitely does mask that especially from locations that don't typically describe an area as diverse as Dublin

Both large snowfall events in the 2000's surpassed the two big ones in the 1980's in my experience

As regards Dublin aswell, the highly populated inland south of the county adjacent to higher ground would definitely see more snowfall in snowy weather than the likes of Dublin airport or the phoenix park

Even anecdotally here from friday here on this website,that's borne out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I think where you are in dublin makes a big difference. I grew up in South Dublin towards sandyford and it got a lot more snow than where I am now in North Dublin the last 12 years.

That being said while the last few winters had not produced much snow, here in coastal north Dublin we got a couple of great snow days with lying snow just a few years ago when other parts of Dublin got none.

My close friend lives in London over 10 years now and said snow is even rarer there. He said lying snow very rarely happens over there

• Advertisement
Advertisement