Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fourteen migrants discovered hidden in refrigerated container at Rosslare Europort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Good points made, plus we have 14,000 Irish folks homeless, men, women and children and we are giving these people priority over our own citizens.

This government is weak and makes me sick to the core.

More information on how the 14 migrants gained access to the container parked up just outside Paris, driver went on his break when they gained access, looks like. They knew it was an Irish truck with reg plates and probably presumed the truck was going to Dover driect or other ports in UK.

Not sure what port in France was used to depart, La Harve, Cherbourg or Dunkirk.

According to the Rte news link , they will be offered to voluntary return to their home countries and they have the option to refuse and claim asylum here in Ireland. They are in the Citywest facility being processed.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0110/1425684-rosslare/

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0110/1425684-rosslare/

Post edited by kravmaga on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Why not? I said they tend to try not coming to the attention of the authorities. It stands to reason the migrants in this particular case saw themselves in a fairly awkward position in order to decide calling the UK police was their best idea under the circumstances. They clearly weren’t keen on the idea of disembarking from the container in any other country. The containers themselves are sealed in order to prevent exactly this sort of thing from happening.

So the crowd who rang the police on themselves are unlikely to claim welfare etc then is that your point here?

id just say “yeah I'm wrong there actually” but you do you

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭acceletor

• Advertisement

Well yeah, I would be off my rocker if I thought migrants had no interest in Ireland, they’re given the impression it’s a wonderful country by Irish emigrants and by the immigrants who come here. That’s not what I claimed though, and it’s quite obvious in this particular case that the migrants involved had no interest whatsoever in Ireland, let alone whether or not they would be entitled to asylum or welfare here.

They obviously wanted to get to the UK, same as the migrants who were scammed by this particular individual who sought to profit from enabling migrants access to the UK illegally:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/wicklow-resident-jailed-for-his-role-in-albanian-people-smuggling-operation-1334302.html

Again - no interest whatsoever in Ireland, let alone our welfare system.

Temporary tented accommodation, process claims within a fortnight. Remove spurious asylum seekers.

My point is exactly what I stated originally -

Migrants take these kinds of risks for more than just the idea of welfare, and when they’re illegal, they tend to try NOT coming to the attention of the authorities by claiming asylum, welfare, use of public services such as healthcare and education, etc.

It’s your contention that the migrants in question don’t fit the description. According to the RTE article linked above, they clearly do:

Police in Cornwall received a distress call from a Kurdish woman in the container and the captain ordered a search of the ship which docked at Rosslare Europort at 3am on Monday.

It is believed they broke a hole in the trailer to access oxygen, as the Minister for Justice said it was "fortuitous" that there were no deaths.

Mr Drennan said that during the journey, those hiding in the trailer "seem to have been able to hack their way out...to get some air".

He said they were lucky the lorry was on an upper deck of the ferry and were able to call for help.

Hardly necessary for me to point out the alternative under those particular circumstances, is it? No need to dramatic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Hungry Burger

Did you not read this link above, our Taoiseach says they have the choice to go back to Iraq voluntarily (wonder what Paddy Power has the odds on for that) or to claim Asylum and be accommodated, fed, medical card and given 38 euro a week pocket money courtesy of the Irish taxpayer. Great little country!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Augme

They might have read a book, but they have never read any of the legal requirements or the conventions that Ireland have signed up for. That's the main issue. They throw out random suggestion without having any idea of the consequences or what would need to do to be in a position to make those decisions ans generally when they presented with the consequences a deafly silence follows.

• Advertisement

I read the link above. Where does it suggest that the migrants in question themselves have expressed any desire or interest whatsoever in claiming asylum in Ireland?

ps - it’s courtesy of the State, not courtesy of the taxpayer, the taxpayer isn’t expected to do anyone a courtesy, just pay the taxes they have a legal obligation to pay is all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

"Pretty much everything" - a predictably lazy and unengaged response really.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well considering how few people we have deported against the numbers who have arrived here over the last 30 years it's safe to say that your wrong on this one

Well then we have a disagreement, I don’t see why they would bother with the hassle of trying to get to the UK when they’ve already reached the land of milk and honey and the highest official in the land has stated it’s up to them whether they stay or leave.

Do you contend that the money to house them and provide them with everything they need won’t be coming from the exchequer? because it will and no matter what way you want to word it the money will be coming from the working man and women in this country.

How can I be wrong about the fact that it’s impossible to verify your claim either way in relation to illegal immigrants, specifically because it’s impossible to get a figure of how many are in the country (estimates put it around 20,000), and they’re definitely not claiming welfare, because that would bring them to the attention of the authorities, and of those whose applications for asylum are refused, they have the right to appeal, and on losing an appeal, they become the subject of deportation orders. The numbers of immigrants granted asylum has nothing to do with the numbers of illegal immigrants who are detected, let alone deported.

They will be asked to ‘self deport’ they will then appeal the decision through costly court battles that will be paid for through state funds to NGOs and will eventually be given leave to remain because our politicians say it’s just really, really hard to deport people. Eventually, down the line they’ll be trotted out for a photo op at an Irish citizenship ceremony. Hell, look at Lucky, he even runs his very own NGO now after being order to deport himself! How fortuitous.

I wonder what would happen if I went through US pre clearance and destroyed my passport on arrival to NY or Boston and rocked up to US immigration stating “I want to claim asylum from the safe country of Ireland” ? 🤔

Gardai now investigating and hoping for the traffickers to put their hands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

5 star treatment for these criminals. Will we cross our fingers and wish wish wish none of them are terrorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I wonder what would happen if I went through US pre clearance and destroyed my passport on arrival to NY or Boston and rocked up to US immigration stating “I want to claim asylum from the safe country of Ireland” ?

Why would you do that?

Just do what the vast majority of the Irish did and still do.

Go in on a tourist Visa and stay there.

Then employ a lawyer to normalise your residency.

We only have a disagreement because you have no evidence to support your original claim.

I don’t disagree with the claim that the money to house and feed them will be coming from the Exchequer, but that has nothing to do with where the money is coming from, whether it comes from anyone in employment or not. Income tax is absolutely not the only source of revenue for the Exchequer, and you’re overstating the importance of your contribution imagining that it goes directly to providing support for asylum seekers (while there is still no evidence of any indication that the migrants in question have sought asylum in Ireland).

The most obvious reason why they would still want to get to the UK is because it’s quite likely they have family and friends there who could set them up with a better life than the life they’re seeking to escape from. It’s not unreasonable to imagine there’s plenty of work available for cash in hand, but that also means they don’t pay tax on their income, they aren’t insured to be in employment, they don’t qualify for welfare or pensions, and if they get sick or their children are sick, they’re unlikely to avail of the public health services.

The highest official in the land didn’t say it was up to them whether they stay or leave either, he said this:

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said that the 14 people may choose to apply for asylum or leave voluntarily.

"Our first response is always a humanitarian one - to check that they are alive and in good health and my understanding is that they are," he said.

"Our next step now is to facilitate voluntary return - their return home if they're willing to go home.

"If they choose to apply for asylum, they are legally entitled to do that and we'll try and process the application as quickly as possible."

• Advertisement

I don’t think it’s that simple now boggles, I don’t think that lawyer would be able to do much when ICE rock up and put you on the first plane back (and rightly so, you broke a nation’s immigration laws and are an illegal immigrant)

The ‘undocumented’ Irish have been in a ‘battle’ for 30 years to ‘normalise their residency’

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If you were to just watch and listen to the government broadcaster reports the majority of the illegal immigrants involved in the incident were women and children

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Actually they will get a letter in the post saying that they have to self deport,but it's a simple case of Just moving address and that's the end of that there is nobody out looking for failed asylum seekers to deport them,

Actually there was a very recent case of a lad from Nigeria who got caught by welfare who also worked in retail he's here over the last 20 years when in front of the judge he says he decided he now wants to normalise his situation and claim asylum....

Living here 20 years and now decides he an Asylum seeker

More to the point - which country would you rather take your chances with if you were an Iranian or Iraqi citizen seeking asylum, the US, or Ireland?

I know which one I’d go with - the one where I’m less likely to be shot on sight 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No it can be expensive.

But the Irish didn't enter illegally, they are Visa overstayers so they can apply for normalisation.

Mate of mine got it last year, all though he didn't actually know he was undocumented TBF.

How many of the 1000s of undocumented Irish do ICE deport annually?

Where’s the evidence they have friends and family in the UK and they are going to work in the black economy, that’s also an assumption on your part, I think my assumption is far more grounded in reality however…

You go on to say Varadkar didn’t say it was up to them whether they stay or leave voluntarily, then post a quote where he says exactly that. Even for the sake of argument we envisage a fantasy situation where they apply for asylum, go through their multiple appeals, lose and then decide to self deport themselves voluntarily, they will still be here in DP for 2-3 year’s minimum, being accommodated through public funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Far removed from the social welfare and housing situation here, Ireland is a highly desirable destination for people from multiple different countries for multiple different reasons. In some countries people regularly die during the summer months because it gets so hot. In other countries, people regularly die during winter because it gets so cold. We are not at war with anyone, nor likely to be any time soon. We respect Human Rights, and are a modern country. Ireland is a Goldilocks country.

Before anyone thinks I'm saying we should open the doors, I am actually saying the state should have realised this and been on the ball with this long ago. Long before Ukraine and long before Syria. The open door policy has failed, on top of mismanagement of other aspects of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭malinheader

They also stated that it is now up to the Irish government to put in place easier and safer access for refugees or asylum seekers. Ffs total fu##in joke of a carry on.

• Advertisement

Of course it’s an assumption on my part given that’s how illegal immigrants in any country tend to support themselves, because they can’t gain legitimate employment.

Yours on the other hand is a presumption, and that’s not me being picky or argumentative, they’re very different things, it’s why the presumption of innocence is one of our most fundamental principles in law, as opposed to assuming any wrongdoing on the part of the migrants discovered in the container, which is why Leo said they have the option to leave voluntarily, or apply for asylum.

Only if they apply or asylum does your fantasy situation come into play, and goodness knows how that could end up because each application for asylum is determined on its own merits. Their applications for asylum could be rejected and go through multiple appeals, and given the length of the asylum process in Ireland, I think you’re being generous with your 3 years, it could take as long as 10 years, and yes, that is funded by public funds because that’s the system that Ireland operates under, the one which everyone is entitled to benefit from, regardless of whether they’re a taxpayer or not. Being a taxpayer is entirely irrelevant.

Advertisement