Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fourteen migrants discovered hidden in refrigerated container at Rosslare Europort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think it's patronising bordering on racist to describe being born in a poor country as a "**** hand" btw.

The Kurds are technically stateless.

And no that isn't racist, give your head a wobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They could have gotten a nice comfortable flight and ripped up their passports on arrival instead of paying people traffikers through the nose and roughing it in a container. Amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not relevant to the point I made. Any country can try to put pressure on other countries to help them with refugees. But they cannot dictate individuals who are allowed in.

If someone in the government or civil service here has a Japanese buddy who wants to live in Europe, Ireland cannot grant that person permission to live in France, nor can it unilaterally order France to issue that Japanese buddy a visa to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Being discussed on NT now...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

They're still inhabitants of a country. But good deflection from the rest of the post.

Tell me - what do you think should happen to these people? Asylum approved or sent straight back home? Or somewhere in between?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Pat Kenny invoking the far right whilst engaging in unbridled nimbyism at every opportunity.

Put asylum seeker accommodation in Dalkey/Killiney and he'll be leading the pickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The examples you gave of interviews which support your views, supporting your views is hardly surprising? There’s thousands of interviews with the victims of human trafficking which directly contradict your views, and then there’s the victims who are never interviewed:

Women and children are particularly prone to human trafficking and becoming victims of exploitation, such as sexual exploitation, labour exploitation, forced begging, forced marriage, crime, organ trafficking and illegal adoption. The risk is imminent in particular for migrant women and children, not only during dangerous travel routes but also once they arrive in Europe. Children can disappear from reception centres and land in the hands of human traffickers. For example, research conducted in 2019 and published in 2020 in the Netherlands reported that 20% of children in the study (of a total of 1,720 children) disappeared before the end of the asylum procedure between 2015 and 2018 – and a great share of them were Vietnamese minors.

https://euaa.europa.eu/easo-asylum-report-2021/54-victims-human-trafficking

As for the wider picture - countries in the West already do try and discourage this type of illegal activity; EU countries for example have laws against modern slavery, and as for what should happen to the victims in terms of whether they should be granted asylum or not - by virtue of the fact that they are the victims of illegal trafficking, they are not prohibited from applying for asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That be below the belt.

Might even fall under hate speech.

Although being against white Mayo men probably would be deemed ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And there should be no rewards for it as that only encourages more trafficking. Back to their home country or France.

There aren’t any rewards for being the victim of human trafficking? What encourages it are criminals engaging in a profitable enterprise - third most profitable after drugs and prostitution apparently. It’s definitely not as simple as sending them back to their home countries, and they’re as unlikely to be sent back to France as they are unlikely to be permitted to travel on to the UK where they were actually intending to go, in spite of any suggestions that they would seek asylum in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I already told you what I think will happen.

Either way, it's not up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why oh why do the proponents of the modern fruit loop theory that Western countries can adopt half the people from lesser countries often eventually resort to dismissive condescending putdowns and assume anyone of a differing view are idiots and have probably never read a book or travelled.

It is almost like they don't have actual factual arguments and they have to resort to insults or putdowns as a way of shutting down opposing viewpoints.

It also looks like they just can't help themselves feeling all superior to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭gw80

It's the white saviour effect,

They can't see it, but they are the worst type of racist.

People moving to better themselves is hardly a modern concept.

Good stuff Boggles. Go in swinging with personal attacks and imagined horrors specific to these people, but then back away when we get to discussing the actual practical implications of all this and completely ignore how this is self-perpetuating and actually incredibly damaging for developing economies. Not far off the "Won't someone pleease think of the children" sort of depth of understanding/analysis.

But look, if that's all you have to offer, I think we can draw a line under this.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Hungry Burger

Nick Henderson will soon be on to pontificate to us yobs on how they urgently need to be housed in 3 Bed Semis in Malahide.

Discussing the actual practical implications of emigration on developing countries would mean having to acknowledge that it’s not nearly as simplistic as you’re trying to make out, portraying emigration as having a negative effect, completely ignoring it’s positive effects for developing countries (it’s how Ireland got to where we are for example):

https://www.cgdev.org/article/myth-brain-drain-how-emigration-can-help-poor-countries-harvard-political-review

Happy little accident for them lads, I’d love to see their happy little faces when someone tells them the welfare entitlements are even 𝘣𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 here.

You asked me what I think would I happen, I pointed out I already told you.

Now you are throwing a strop.

You keep craving nuanced debate but you have proven your interpretation is at best remedial.

You have no intention of moving from your position, so there really is little point, is there?

I asked you what you thought should happen. You've washed your hands of that question.

The rest of your post is just personal attacks again - I'm throwing a strop (no I'm not) and I've proven my interpretation is at best remedial (how?).

I'm fully open to intelligent discussion, but personal attacks and washing your hands of issues doesn't come under that heading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So if they arrive via a container,or by bus or train via Belfast or flights from the uk or eu they can only have been trafficked,if they destroy their documents on a flight it's only because the traffickers did it ,

I've proven my interpretation is at best remedial (how?).

Pretty much everything.

But declaring on a public forum the Turks were just a bit discriminatory to the Kurds was the main red flag for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

We need to make life as hard as possible for these chancers so they spread the word back home that Ireland is done with getting taken advantage of. No hard building accommodation only tents and the bare minimum financial and health supports.

I've seen some of the WhatsApp and Telegram groups set up to show them how to get every benefit going even down to the best social welfare office to attend and it's incredibly frustrating that this is being supported by our present government..

Something needs to change and change quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If it was to the UK they were headed then I'd say they were more interested in working* than welfare.

They would join their existing national communities in the UK and find work* and accommodation that way.

Not everyone who tries to enter a country illegally does so to claim asylum.

I'd say these guys will be detained for a period of time then told to "self deport" as they are unlikely to be fleeing any war or anything.

And they will then "self deport" to the UK to do what they had originally planned.

*When I say work I obviously mean illegally, undocumented as it is sometimes called when referring to Irish in the US.

Which is still not a good situation if they are working illegally, although I don’t share your assessment of what might happen. I’d say it’s far more likely they will be coached to claim asylum here and will be in Direct Provision in no time.

Must be an awful kick in the ego when you find out migrants have no interest in Ireland.

It makes no difference what welfare entitlements are when they’re not entitled to welfare either in Ireland or the UK, which was their intended destination. Migrants take these kinds of risks for more than just the idea of welfare, and when they’re illegal, they tend to try NOT coming to the attention of the authorities by claiming asylum, welfare, use of public services such as healthcare and education, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They would be eventually they have more chances of getting welfare over Deportation

You’re off your rocker if you think migrants aren’t interested in Ireland, in the last year alone we’ve had what 100k Ukrainians and 80k claiming international protection? There’s so much interest, in fact, that we have nearly 500 people we are completely unable to accommodate who are living outside the IP office in Dublin! And we are so attractive, our minister for integration states he estimates another 15k per year, even though we can’t accommodate anymore! Real head scratcher, huh?

yeah, except these lads rang the uk police to bust themselves.

doesn’t exactly fit your description does it?

• Advertisement

There’s just no way of verifying that claim because if they’re not entitled to be in the country and they enter illegally and they’re not regularised (either Ireland or the UK), they’re not entitled to welfare, and they’re unlikely to be deported if they aren’t detected. One way they can be detected is by the authorities carrying out investigations into employers hiring illegal workers. That still doesn’t mean their claim for asylum will be approved as each case is determined on its own merits, and being denied asylum means they won’t receive any welfare benefits and will more than likely be subject to deportation orders.

Advertisement