Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fourteen migrants discovered hidden in refrigerated container at Rosslare Europort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I’d say a puppet for the govt more like………………

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And healthcare.

Which costs the taxpayers here considerably more than food.

Strange you left it out of your post .

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

So, the migrants don't pay thousands to smugglers.

These smugglers must work for NGOs on a voluntary basis?

What needs to be done with this Rosslare situation is

• Return of all fourteen migrants to Belgium
    • Mandatory 50-year jail term for smugglers when caught
    • Seize of all assets/cash/belongings/property of smugglers
    • All publicly funded media to run one-month headlines reporting the above three points in every language possible.
    • €100,000 tax free bonus for the police team that catches the smugglers.
    • Get the message out to the world that illegal migrants will be returned and smugglers will have their lives destroyed by being jailed for 50 years.

It ends in jig time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Who said migrants don’t pay thousands to smugglers? We know they do, the experts in the area know they do, and your suggestions fall at the first point, precisely because human trafficking is a lucrative criminal enterprise - criminals don’t give a flying fcuk about the people who are paying them for transportation, and they certainly don’t give a fcuk about the authorities - the general idea is NOT to get caught, which is why when people are discovered in a container and they’re still alive, they are a valuable source of information for the authorities, whatever little bit of information they can offer which would assist in an investigation into international criminal gangs involved in human trafficking, third lucrative criminal activity after drugs and prostitution.

The rest of your ideas are just pie in the sky stuff unfortunately, it certainly wouldn’t end human trafficking, or even come close to ending human trafficking into Europe, never mind in countries where they’re actually coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not really they a can a quick decision the problems begin when they get denied and appeal and appeal and appeal again until they get permission to reside followed by citizenship, which all legal appeals are solely funded by taxpayers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I don’t understand why everyone thinks they were heading to the UK.

If you’re in mobile reception range and dial 999, wouldn’t you get transferred to the emergency service of the country that pings with your phone?

And how did the UK police know to contact the captain and Irish authorities unless the caller knew what ship they were in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

The UK operate border controls in Belgium.

Irish immigration officials have operated in Cherbourg before.

Doesn't seem like a big ask.

Mr Carthy added that the 14 people had thought they were going to the UK.

Mr Drennan said the people may have thought the truck was going a shorter route from Calais to Dover, but in fact, it was going to Zeebrugge and from there, directly to Rosslare.

Mr Carthy, a first responder and an independent county councillor, said one of the migrants had raised the alarm by calling the UK’s 999 service which diverted the call to Ireland and emergency services were at the port when the ship docked.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41305708.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I saw the interview with Siobhan Mullally and rolled my eyes too. Soft as a duvet interview.

No follow-up questions on how many people could arrive based on her increasing legal migration policy or much much it would cost.

When asked about the fact that 76% of people applying for asylum are doing it at the International Protection Office and that we've don't know how they got here, the presenter was told that we shouldn't worry about this and just focus on the migrants rights instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Not strange at all. I also didn't mention clothes or transport costs to gnib meetings in Dublin every few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭malinheader

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

When they suggest we need to setup legal migration routes they're never pressed on how exactly this would work. Setup pickup points around the Med so migrants can make their way there and be shipped directly to their country of choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,895 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• €100,000 tax free bonus for the police team that catches the smugglers.

Great idea, we could get Ant and Dec to the host the gameshow.

Prime time entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I don't see how this is a gotcha to @StrawbsM, this does not answer how they knew they were on an Irish ship heading to Roasslare. I think the word diverted gives the indication that they called 999 it went to the Uk and somehow was automatically diverted - no they called 999 as Strawsm says, the Uk had enough info then to know where they were going.

Maybe just the Ship name is what they provided, should have been enough - still not explained though.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

"She is the recipient of numerous research awards for work relating to gender equality," WOKE, WEF puppet, living on taxpayer money to lecture us with her virtual signaling. No thank you.

Didn't a minister suggest a few years ago instead of sending a naval vessel to the med to assist in helping migrants cross the we instead buy a roll on roll off ferry for the navy so they can bring migrants straight here , now we can expect calls for aer Lingus to put on free flights for migrants without passports or any other documentation to fly directly here from EU States

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

What role do you think the "do gooders and human rights activists" play in this situation? Do gooders and human rights activists raise concerns over a great many things in this world that still continue regardless. This idea that somehow they are the master puppeteers of all things is simply not true.

Yes, these people have entered the country illegally and in an ideal world we can easily identify where exactly they came from or through and then we call that country and say we are sending these people back and they happily say "thanks a million Ireland we will gladly take them back because we absolutely don't want you guys to be inconvenienced because we have no vested interests of our own". Or yeah, just stick them on a plane without saying anything and hope for the best they aren't back in Dublin a day later because another country decided that our policy is a great idea and they should do the same, and we all just play refugee tennis forevermore.

Unfortunately, it's often not that simple — and that's not because of do gooders and human rights activists. It's because of a whole range of things that includes politics, socioeconomics, international law — and far from being do-gooding it's actually often more a case of selfishness (ie, well they're Ireland's problem now and we have plenty of other stowaways to deal with).

Nobody, absolutely nobody (left or right) has the definitive answer of how you stop this from ever happening ever, nor do they have the perfect answers on handling it when it does happen. Maybe if people were willing to think more critically about this, rather than blaming scapegoats, a better conversation on ways forward could be had. But nah, instead it's just the bloody do-gooders and snowflakes and I'm so smart and they're so stupid right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

But but but international obligations, international agreements, human rights ...

In other words the gravy train must continue so that all those sucking off the taxpayers teat can continue to do so.

It must continue so that all those vying for international well paid positions can progress.

It must continue so that the superior intellects can continue to feel superior.

I am not allowed discuss …

You don’t see how it was a gotcha because it wasn’t a gotcha. StrawbsM asked some reasonable questions trying to figure stuff out, I posted the relevant info from the article.

Good faith posting all round, as opposed to the nonsense of presuming they’re now going to claim asylum in Ireland cos it’s the land of milk and honey, etc, when what they actually wanted was to get to the UK. Be like if I intended to get to Belfast, ended up in Cork and Corkonians presumed I should want to be in Cork cos of the benefits they see about Cork.

I’ve no doubt the UK authorities have more sophisticated methods of monitoring shipping lanes but it’s not actually all that difficult to pin down the location of a ferry at any given moment -

https://www.ferrytracker.net/2019/07/ferry-tracker-current-position-map.html

It’s also probable they have similar SOS phone location technology in the UK Emergency Services as we do in Ireland:

https://www.thejournal.ie/emergency-location-services-3654321-Oct2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

You're awfully long winded in your opinions of others here. Perhaps you can take a page from your own book and tell us: what do YOU believe the solution is?

Well I apologise if four paragraphs is simply too much to bear. I hear Twitter is a great place for bitesize soundbites.

As for solutions, what absolutely never gets talked about on these threads, while you're all busy incessantly crying over "open border snowflakes unlimited refugees", is that the EU has actually spent the past 3 years negotiating a new EU Pact on Migration and Asylum which was agreed just before Christmas.

As I see it, the Pact contains measures that are a step in the right direction in a process that will forever be imperfect. There are improved rules on screening, acceleration of deportations, clearer obligations on burden sharing in times of refugee crisis, better commitments on the protection of the EU's external borders. Personally I think more can be done to facilitate co-operation with North African and Near/Middle East governments to have a more quid pro quo relationship as regards the facilitation of returning rejected applicants or stowaways.

These are the solutions — gradual, broadly agreed and collaborative. No, it isn't the dramatic magic bullet that people on here seem to fantasise about. It isn't all "kick them out and brutalise them and treat them like absolute filth so that they never come within 500 miles of Ireland", but if you all want solutions as you claim to do, it's time to grow up and realise that you have to collaborate with those you disagree with instead of lazily casting them as lefty ghouls who want to destroy Ireland and consider the fact that, maybe, just maybe, they have rational motivations too.

That last line is a bit rich when all the lefty ones in favour of immigration (that is immigration of asylum seekers, chancers, refugees, international protection applicants) is castigate anyone against it and call them racists, backward xenophobes, etc.

The media, the political classes, state employees, NGOs all have engaged in labeling anyone that up to now wanted discussion and a real debate on control of these immigrants as far right ghouls or weak minded easily led enthralled with some far right ghouls.

I would safely say the time for discussion is past for most people.

And I would say they just want it stopped at this stage, they want people that came into the state without any legitimate right, those in particular who destroyed identification documents to be promptly fooked out of here.

You had your chance at collaboration, but you have pi**ed all over peoples good will.

Another 14 arrived to be added to the long list of those totally supported by Irish taxpayers, taxpayers that just decreasing services for themselves and their loved ones.

You can only get away with pi**ing down someones back and telling them it is raining for so long.

Eventually they kick back.

I am not allowed discuss …

That last line is a bit rich when all the lefty ones

Are you a righty one? 😂

This imported American bullshít is hilarious especially when regurgitated by middle aged permanent contrarians online.

Bloody cuckhold libtards the lot of them.

McEntee was on the radio again taking big how we are carrying out Deportations and hundreds others have left after Deportations order's issued,but offered no evidence as to when these people,but they just left

The problem though is that you're dreaming up a lot of this. Yes, there are the preachy lefties — and people on the right who are graduates from the University of Twitter in reactionary anger to negative stories about foreigners. There's a pretty big middle in there though.

The reality is that, in practice, governments and state bodies are actually trying to address these things and trying to find the right balance. Von der Leyen herself said in 2020 that the EU system was not fit for purpose and the new migration and asylum pact took 3 years to hammer out an agreement — and unfortunately in that timeframe Mr Putin decided to invade Ukraine. Before you know it, one day the Right is telling us about how brilliantly no-nonsense the Polish are on immigration, and the next day over a million refugees flood into Poland.

And yes, of course people want the chancers to be "fooked out". That's an entirely legitimate and rational thing to want — but it's also attractive because it sounds easy. Kick them out, problem solved. That's easy and therefore anyone who says otherwise is a Lefty activist throwing spanners in the works, right? Well, no. It's not lefty activism to simply acknowledge that "fooking" people out requires that you have someone else who is going to take them and accept the burden of handling them. That's not always straightforward, so just kicking them out is a nice phrase – but what you ignore then is who is catching the kickout.

Another 14 arrived to be added to the long list of those totally supported by Irish taxpayers, taxpayers that just decreasing services for themselves and their loved ones.

The 14 that were discovered in a container have nothing whatsoever to do with any asylum process here and so far there’s no evidence that they have requested asylum here. They do have to be processed and the cost of that is borne by the State, not taxpayers, it has nothing to do with taxpayers, nor would I assume that because anyone pays tax they must share your views.

The management or availability of services isn’t dependent upon anyone being a taxpayer or not either. For example while I may have the right to claim I don’t want “my taxes” paying for the education of my neighbours children, or I don’t want “my taxes” paying for other people’s healthcare or accommodation or whatever else, it’s completely detached from the reality of how an economy functions or how the State functions and nobody is required to take such nonsense seriously.

The 14 people who were discovered in a container are entitled to avail of the same rights and protections which are given to all people who gain illegal entry into the State - depart voluntarily, or seek asylum. Those are their choices. In the meantime the State has an obligation to provide for them and it does so in accordance with established international protocols which distinguish this country from the shìtholes those people are trying to escape from that they take the kinds of enormous risks they do in order to make a better life for themselves elsewhere.

There’s nothing which prevents you or anyone else from doing the same. Nobody’s pissing down your neck, you’d actually know if they were, and people who don’t share your views have no interest whatsoever in collaborating with you.

• Advertisement

@Boggles The 14 that were discovered in a container have nothing whatsoever to do with any asylum process here and so far there’s no evidence that they have requested asylum here. ...

So they were brought to citywest asylum hub .....

There is no evidence whatsoever that they requested asylum at all ...

Seriously

Advertisement