Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fourteen migrants discovered hidden in refrigerated container at Rosslare Europort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Except it isn't nonsense. It's an observation of fact, I'm not peddling hate filled rhetoric.

If you had been paying attention you would have known that I responded to the first reply on this thread which raised the issue.

So when you say I'm wedging it into the conversation you're not only wrong you're also demonstrating how little attention you're actually paying to what's going on.

Even from that position you're try to assume the moral high ground. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Apologies, duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The post you were responding to was a joke, I’ve no doubt you were aware of that fact. I never suggested you were peddling hate filled rhetoric either, just nonsense, the kind of nonsense rhetoric peddled by a far right bogeyman which I thought we’d agreed previously were of no significance whatsoever in this country? They’re still not, nor will they ever be of any significance.

It’s not clamouring for the moral high ground at all, I wasn’t even suggesting it was coming from you, it’s the kind of nonsense peddled by far right bogeymen, and you’re nowhere near far right from where I’m standing, you’re just repeating what you heard somewhere else, and yes, wedging it into a discussion where it doesn’t belong, because these migrants were trying to get to the UK, not Ireland. They were discovered in a container in Ireland, they didn’t even want to be here, let alone competing with the natives for housing. That’s an entirely different discussion again -

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058330332/uk-fund-snaps-up-85-of-dublin-17-housing-estate-originally-aimed-at-individual-buyers/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They don't want to be here so they are free to leave then ???

• Advertisement

Yes it's not the first, second or third time even

I guess so? It doesn’t appear as though they’re likely to be charged with illegal entry into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

With all our tax payers money flowing into hotels, it's a wonderful scam by the government. These poor souls will surely be looked after.

Ireland, free everything for the world!!!

Roll on the recession so these parasites pick a different destination and our clueless government actually cop on.

But we will be charged as honest tax payers....

Should a simple case of back to France on the first available ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It wasn't ignored : it was the third item at 9.06pm.

• Advertisement

We as honest taxpayers aren’t being charged anything. Funding for immigration control comes from the Exchequer. There’s another terminal planned for Rosslare expected to cost in the region of €200m (I’m being generous, we’re not paying for it), being funded by the EU -

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/d17fd-minister-donohoe-welcomes-outcome-of-engagement-with-commission-on-brexit-adjustment-reserve-bar/

I don’t imagine it will be quite as simple as back to France, or back to anywhere for that matter, as you’re suggesting. They might be free to go, but they’re in a position right now where they can’t go anywhere and may have to be accommodated by the Irish State.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The gracious thing to do would be to apologise.

That would require a basic level of accountability.

Take care of yourself, I won't be engaging any further with this bizarre conversation.

No, from the Exchequer, which is still a long ways away from your attempt to infer that anyone paying taxes is being charged for anything. Everyone who has an income is required to pay tax on that income in accordance with Irish laws. The amount anyone pays in taxes has never given anyone a say in where the Government chooses to allocate revenue. The amount anyone pays in taxes in any case has no bearing on Government policy, clearly.

You’ve nothing to apologise for? You’re not responsible for far right bogeyman rhetoric, you’re just repeating what you heard somewhere else. I’ll be fine btw, precisely because I’m not concerned whatsoever about far right bogeyman or the nonsense they come out with which you shared in your earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭bloopy

Do you guys really think that everyone else is just a bit simple and easily swayed compared to your own giant intellects?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The exchequer is funded by taxpayers, ergo it is taxpayer funded

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There's some discrimination against the Kurds in Turkey of course

Are drone and missile strikes, genocide, forced displacement, not recognising them being actual Kurds technically classed as "some discrimination"? That's a new one.

Pre-conceived bias something something.

Maybe stay off the edge lord websites and read a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thomas 123

If I go in a container for a few nights can I have a free house?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hm - civilian casualties in 2023 - nil. 2022 - nil. 2021 - nil. It's listed as a minor conflict in the global scheme of things. Yet you conclude that they're "more than likely fleeing some sort of horror". (I don't condone Turkey in any way here, but you can't have everyone from every small war making their way across several countries to claim a bogus asylum - bogus in the sense that they're being very selective about things)

And you haven't explained why they skipped over Greece, Italy and France at a bare minimum.

Can you think of any other reason they'd make such a journey? Such as just chancing their arm to get to England maybe?

Oh, and could you drop the puerile "edgelord" nonsense and try engage in a real discussion? Thanks.

I don't condone Turkey in any way here

You hilariously wrote it off as

There's some discrimination against the Kurds in Turkey of course

Anyway you have no idea what area those Kurds were fleeing.

They are and have been one of the most persecuted groups of people on the planet.

Can you think of any other reason they'd make such a journey?

Yeah, I already stated. I would hope to be brave enough to do the same thing if I was dealt their shítty hand in life.

Would you not?

you can't have everyone from every small war making their way across several countries to claim a bogus asylum - bogus in the sense that they're being very selective about things

There’s nothing can be done to prevent bogus asylum claims though, all that can be done is to investigate whether the person seeking asylum at the point of entry is making a legitimate claim. That can take months.

In this particular instance though it’s as you’re suggesting most likely that they were trying to gain illegal entry into the UK, and ended up being discovered at Rosslare - there’s no indication of where they are originally from or where they are citizens (because that’s the country they would be returned to, not likely to be France), and they could have travelled through numerous countries already, because people smugglers are known to try different routes, with varying degrees of success:

https://www.france24.com/en/20191024-uk-police-confirm-all-39-lorry-victims-were-chinese-citizens

I wrote nothing off. I put it in context.

I have no idea what those Kurds are fleeing? Maybe - but neither do you. (And that's ignoring the suggestion made here that some of them are Vietnamese) Yet you confidently conclude they're "more than likely fleeing some sort of horror".

If you watch the likes of Simon Reeve (Mediterranean, North America, Greece) or Michael Palin (Sahara) where they actually talk to people making these trips, the overwhelming majority are chancing their arm. Paying thousands to crime gangs to lead them to some sort of promised land. But not fleeing any horrors as you describe. And in doing so they active hindering their countries from developing and improving in the future - after all, it's the relatively wealthy who can afford to pay the fees required, not the subsistence farmers - so the same people the country needs to hold on to to develop. So they just perpetuate the problem.

But you still can't countenance anything of the sort. You just think anyone from an area with a minor conflict should be encouraged embark on an unnecessarily lengthy journey (you still ignore the question of why they skipped over Greece, Italy and France if they were escaping horrors), and it has to be horrors of course. Not chancery.

So I'm curious as to your bias in all this.

you still ignore the question of why they skipped over Greece, Italy and France if they were escaping horrors

No I didn't.

I imagine their intended destination was the UK for reasons I have already outlined.

I have no doubt they will try get there yet.

Once they are processed they will be off up the North and onto some sort of vessel.

Sure maybe they will end up in Rwanda.

Good to see that part acknowledged. All we now need to see is why you leapt to the conclusion that they were "more than likely fleeing some sort of horror", even though the vast majority of this sort of act is just chancers with (ironically) too much money on their hands.

the vast majority of this sort of act is just chancers with (ironically) too much money on their hands.

You can’t possibly have any idea of the profile of the vast majority of people engaged in this sort of act because the statistics are incredibly unreliable given the nature of the act.

It's hardly a mental notion.

Anyway, the actual "rich" people come in on student visas and just don't leave.

Again, would you not do the same to better a shítty hand you were dealt?

Hardly mental, sure. Yet I'm curious as to why you deem it the "more than likely" notion, and hang your biases on it with no real evidence?

I'm not talking about the rich here - I'm talking about the moderately well off. The middle class. Arguably the key to a developing economy.

You mention the idea of civil war in Ireland and hundreds of thousands fleeing to join family in Germany and skipping over France. I'm suggesting they're more likely economic migrants - chancers. You don't address that possibility; you jump straight into "Oh, the horrors!" Yet actual interviews with similar people making similar journeys strongly backs up my view.

I think it's patronising bordering on racist to describe being born in a poor country as a "**** hand" btw. Not idea, sure, but there's plenty of happy people in poor countries. Many regret leaving in the first place as they're taken advantage of elsewhere - they're just sold a dream by criminal gangs after their money. So I don't think it's relevant what I would do in their shoes - I think the wider picture here is that the west should strongly discourage this sort of behaviour as it self-perpetuates the economic hardships these people are trying to get away from.

What do you think should happen these people out of interest? Asylum granted or sent straight back home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭20silkcut

France is more than likely one of the chief countries behind these international obligations that we hear so much about. France is also one of the loudest critics of our 12.5% corporation tax. France also has a high burden of immigrants. So it is entirely logical that France wants Ireland to take more refugees. France is a much more powerful country than Ireland so France can quite easily dictate to Ireland that it takes more refugees. I’m sure the Irish government would rather it wasn’t in the situation it’s in having to force these people into small communities against the will of the locals. But there are forces at play here that we are not being told about bar the umbrella term of “ international obligations”. We’ll probably be drip fed it in 30 years time when it gets declassified.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

Advertisement